ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA at the B1G Tournament Games Thread*****

Yeah, gotta wonder if TV money and truck setup, etc at these other locations come into play and the economics don't work. Point taken though you have to have to a single or multi day contingency in place. Best case I have now is that Sunday is now a full slate of games instead of just a 1 p.m. championship game. Well...back to the RPI metrics for tonight!
The additional cost and logistics of securing all these other sites would be prohibitive for a tournament that likely loses money in the first place. The other venues are going to charge you rent whether you use their facilities or not. You are correct that Big 10 has likely sold ad spots for all the games, and they aren't just going to punt on those to have multiple games going on at the same time in 3 separate facilities in Omaha.

They have the extra days built in for weather (light schedule on Friday, only 1 game on Sunday, etc.). Sounds like weather Thursday through Sunday should be doable so they will go at it that way. I'm glad they just cancelled for today so as not to burn pitchers in a 2 inning game that gets suspended.

Yeah, gotta wonder if TV money and truck setup, etc at these other locations come into play and the economics don't work. Point taken though you have to have to a single or multi day contingency in place. Best case I have now is that Sunday is now a full slate of games instead of just a 1 p.m. championship game. Well...back to the RPI metrics for tonight!

Yeah, luckily only 1 of the 5 days appears to be impacted by weather. For today's contingency plan you could have put 1 game on BTN TV and the other or others on BTN Plus (where they just put a camera behind home plate).

Wasn't there a B1G game this season that was on BTN Plus where there were no announcers and just 1 camera behind home plate? So, you could watch the game at least. That could not not have cost much to produce and air. @Alum-Ni might know; I am thinking it might have been Nebby at IU.

If schedule changes happen again (and look likely IMO given the weather here today) would that push some games into Sunday perhaps? This day is normally reserved for the Championship Game at 1 p.m. however there is some flex there perhaps. Additional costs for teams of course but might be an option, feel bad for traveling fans yesterday/today. Thursday a.m. has some rain chances however it clears out and warms up toward the afternoon.
It's happened quite a bit. Ohio State had to play a game before they won the 2016 tournament and I think 2019 that morning. Maryland and Northwestern had to play the Sunday morning in 2017 to determine who played Iowa.

Also, I did some looking. Werner Park is available starting Thursday as well.

Yeah, luckily only 1 of the 5 days appears to be impacted by weather. For today's contingency plan you could have put 1 game on BTN TV and the other or others on BTN Plus (where they just put a camera behind home plate).

Wasn't there a B1G game this season that was on BTN Plus where there were no announcers and just 1 camera behind home plate? So, you could watch the game at least. That could not not have cost much to produce and air. @Alum-Ni might know; I am thinking it might have been Nebby at IU.
I believe that was the case.

My idea:

Play round 1 games tomorrow as normal (g1-4). The games that were scheduled on Thursday get moved to Friday (g5-8). The Friday elimination games get played Saturday morning and afternoon (g 9 & 10) with the winners advancing to to play games 11 and 12 Saturday night. On Sunday morning & afternoon they play games 13 & 14 if they are necessary with the Championship game being played Sunday at 5.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
I believe that was the case.

thanks.

I am just brain storming with my weather contingency idea (having another ball park or 2 available), but I just wish the B1G would take baseball more seriously. I mean, all you have to do is look at last year when they made the season conference games only and they canceled the conference tourney when they did not have to.

As we all know, the conference is not hurting for money.

Would it cost more to have another facility or 2 on standby? Sure. Would we lose some TV ad revenue? Sure. But when you take a sport (baseball) and an event (conf tourney) seriously, you invest in that event and you try to help it grow.

The conference tournament SHOULD be a big deal. And Kevin Warren is ALWAYS harping on the safety and well being of its student athletes; well, wouldn't it be more healthy and more safe for players (and pitchers, especially) to play the games over the full 5 days as opposed to 4 (or fewer, if the weather forecast had been worse)?

Reactions: BigOHawk
thanks.

I am just brain storming with my weather contingency idea (having another ball park or 2 available), but I just wish the B1G would take baseball more seriously. I mean, all you have to do is look at last year when they made the season conference games only and they canceled the conference tourney when they did not have to.

As we all know, the conference is not hurting for money.

Would it cost more to have another facility or 2 on standby? Sure. Would we lose some TV ad revenue? Sure. But when you take a sport (baseball) and an event (conf tourney) seriously, you invest in that event and you try to help it grow.

The conference tournament SHOULD be a big deal. And Kevin Warren is ALWAYS harping on the safety and well being of its student athletes; well, wouldn't it be more healthy and more safe for players (and pitchers, especially) to play the games over the full 5 days as opposed to 4 (or fewer, if the weather forecast had been worse)?
Omaha has two other facilities that could be utilized if need be.......Werner Park (home of Omaha Storm Chasers) and UNO's new field.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Omaha has two other facilities that could be utilized if need be.......Werner Park (home of Omaha Storm Chasers) and UNO's new field.

Utilizing 1 of them could come in handy because then you could assign bracket 1 to one ballpark and bracket 2 to the other. Then you could have the first 2 games played during the day and then have an elimination game played at night (the 2 losers). Friday's games could be back at Schwab Field with the winners bracket playing in the first 2 games during the day and then the losers playing in the elimination games that night. Saturday would then be back on the original schedule.

It would probably be a nightmare arranging to get another TV crew arranged with such short notice.

Utilizing 1 of them could come in handy because then you could assign bracket 1 to one ballpark and bracket 2 to the other. Then you could have the first 2 games played during the day and then have an elimination game played at night (the 2 losers). Friday's games could be back at Schwab Field with the winners bracket playing in the first 2 games during the day and then the losers playing in the elimination games that night. Saturday would then be back on the original schedule.

It would probably be a nightmare arranging to get another TV crew arranged with such short notice.
Shouldn't be too much of a nightmare to get a couple guys to broadcast from their living room.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Plus think of the scramble to get the 2nd venue set up. Concessions, people to scan tickets, security, ect ect.

It's really important for the Iowa hitters to make Shingledecker work. He has not pitched more than 5 innings so I can't imagine he can go deep in this game. They only made him pitch 12 in that first inning.

Mazur starting to show frustration with home ump's calls. The 1-0 pitch on the leadoff hitter in T3 sure looked like a strike to me (Mazur sure thought so)

PSU is making Mazur work, pitch count already at 47. At this rate Mazur will not last long in this game.

Does anyone know if Tallman is injured or why he may not be playing? He's been Mazur's "personal catcher" all year.

Lol a ball stuck in the glove to stop a DP. That’s an Iowa play if I’ve ever seen one.

PSU is making Mazur work, pitch count already at 47. At this rate Mazur will not last long in this game.
Now he's being deliberate. Looks like he's lost some of his rhythm. Missing spots.

DAMN! Freaking DP ball wedged in Sher's glove. Now bases juiced and one out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT