ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

Why don't you now post how many of the great Krailures TOP recruits and/or transfers, didn't do JACK SHEET!!!

THIS^^^^^ is where you will see what MOST are missing!!!! IF you wanna get giggy wit it? Take ALL the say top 20 recruits. Count guys like Nevillis, Beard, Suriano, who ALL left!!! Then How many at 125 alone, maybe 10-12???

THEN you will see the CARD GAME analogy. I get delt 3,4,5 hands to play, you get ONE!!!! Lets see who wins most often!?!??!?!
I’m more interested in results. How can that be so difficult to grasp?

Hang your hat on the timeline goof up and not the 100 other examples you've been provided. Sure.

i have acknowledged a couple of the examples as legitimate. you act as if i think everything is roses with the program and that’s not the case at all. we just disagree about the root of the problem and that’s ok by me.

for clarity, my opinion is that the recent issues we have had late in careers is due to the Covid year leading to guys being in a college room for 6-7 years and that is too much for them physically.

my main issue with the program is the lack of evolution with the modern day style. we are stuck in the 90s and 2000s while psu is pulling away.

the good(bad) thing is that we will never know who’s right because nothing is going to change

Reactions: el dub
This board is becoming desperate understandably. However, the real issue as all know is talent. Sanderson brings in the best. Many of his guys are ranked top 3 at their weight clsss. Everyone else has guys ranked 10-4. with some exceptions. There is a big difference between a top ranked kid and somebody outside the top 3. Many teams are forced to wrestle to try to keep matches close when outclassed. They are simply that good. That's why wrestling is so fun there because they win and see the fruit of their of their efforts with confidence in moving to a higher level. I'm not arguing against sub optimization with some coaching changes and style changes but I believe most of the banter is desperation and frustration with few answers that Tom is not aware of. There is no clear path to overturning the PSU empire. I think Tom is a great coach and when he has the horses he has won. The reality is PSU has the horses. Other teams get a few of the great ones because PSU can't get then all. So how do we beat the OSU's and Michs. for those? I think Tom's coaching would look a lot different to most of us if he had 5 #1s and a bunch of 2-3 raked kids. Maybe a coaching change would bring a temporary surge with excitement of a new beginning, but I caution all to think about what they may be losing.
The real problem is talent, but I think it is picking and getting the right horse. Go to the horse track and there are 3-4 horses all at less than 4-1 odds. Any could win the race. Cael picks that winner better than TnT do at this time. Knowing who to pick and who not to is just as important. Who has a skill set that truly translates to the college game? If you are grinding them out in high school, good defense, counter wrestler ... just because you won it all in HS .... don't expect that will hold up as well in college. Do you have some length? Can your game still be developed? These are all questions that it feels to me that Cael does better than TnT

Haven’t really seen this brought up on here, but if the training and practices at Iowa under Tom are burning kids out and causing injuries as a lot on here have said…why, under the new transfer portal rules, haven’t we seen starters transferring out? We’ve gotten a few really good 1’s in the past couple seasons, but I don’t recall any starters leaving in the portal…?
I recall an interview last year from Real Woods and him talking about joining and the culture being like nothing he’d been a part of before. I wish we could get a few guys like that to really push the program to recruits. But I suppose it would land better if those guys were champions.

i have acknowledged a couple of the examples as legitimate. you act as if i think everything is roses with the program and that’s not the case at all. we just disagree about the root of the problem and that’s ok by me.

for clarity, my opinion is that the recent issues we have had late in careers is due to the Covid year leading to guys being in a college room for 6-7 years and that is too much for them physically.

my main issue with the program is the lack of evolution with the modern day style. we are stuck in the 90s and 2000s while psu is pulling away.

the good(bad) thing is that we will never know who’s right because nothing is going to change
My contention is that these late career fades (injury or otherwise) took place long before Covid was an excuse. I'd actually like to look back when I have the time to see if the Covid room beatings impacted other programs in the same vein as it did us--I am curious about that.

Reactions: eb05
So under this mentality does Lisa Bluder get put on the Hot Seat to be fired ?? i mean she has had some outstanding seasons and does more than her share of winning but damn....she cant win that Natty and she has been runner up TWICE in a ROW and she had the GREATEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYER IN HISTORY TO HELP !!! what kind of BS is that for coaching ??? In reality I LOVE HER and HER COACHING and DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY CHANGES>>>>>>> but i am plugging that same formula for the Hawkeyes Ladies basketball team. I do agree TNT need to make some changes on their staff but in the grand scheme of college sports only the truly dedicated fans and the countless Trolls on here are the ones who bitch and moan everyday about TNT. The average fan is just happy the wrestling team is winning A LOT !!!!!! and they are Happy when their Head Coach Helps raise 30 plus million dollars for a new facility and lastly they are Happy because TNT are true Hawkeyes and are loyal to their alma mater . I am all in for a recruiting coordinator and for some changes from TNT but not a wholesale change to an unproven guy with no prior coaching experience.

This is a totally awful take and you should be embarrassed for posting it.

So, you want Tom replaced as coach, but you respect him and aren't going to go to his boss to get him fired or even express your concerns... interesting.

Never said he was obligated to do anything.
I get tired of people who always criticize and then do nothing to be part of the solution.
And as a past Iowa wrestler, he could be part of the solution.
You also are nothing but a big mouth with your "bootlicker" comments, just another internet tough guy.

Stop being a baby. Im calling you (and other sycophants like you) a very appropriate name per the situation.

You saying that people always criticize and then do nothing to be part of the solution is an idiotic statement at best.

Tom Brands is in control of the wrestling team. He doesn't take direction from his athletes, Gable or anyone else for that matter. So this forum is probably, literally, the best place to air out any issues you have with him. It's just that those who want Tom to stay and just butt-hurt. The stats are staring them in the face and they can't bear that Tom needs to change A LOT. or be replaced.

And since, here we are again - with Tom making absolutely 0% of the changes that he needs to make - its frustrating.

As Hawk fans - we're ALL fans of Tom Brands. He's a damn legend. But his coaching needs to adapt, and year and after year he refuses.

So...any portal news?

I know the portal is pretty bleak right now in regards to difference makers for the lineup.

I was told last fall that the '24 HS class was going to be small because Iowa was going to be aggressive in the portal with their money. So far it's been yet another disappointment.

Stop being a baby. Im calling you (and other sycophants like you) a very appropriate name per the situation.

You saying that people always criticize and then do nothing to be part of the solution is an idiotic statement at best.

Tom Brands is in control of the wrestling team. He doesn't take direction from his athletes, Gable or anyone else for that matter. So this forum is probably, literally, the best place to air out any issues you have with him. It's just that those who want Tom to stay and just butt-hurt. The stats are staring them in the face and they can't bear that Tom needs to change A LOT. or be replaced.

And since, here we are again - with Tom making absolutely 0% of the changes that he needs to make - its frustrating.

As Hawk fans - we're ALL fans of Tom Brands. He's a damn legend. But his coaching needs to adapt, and year and after year he refuses.
How do you know there aren't going to be any changes made?
How do you know there is no effort being made?
How do you know he doesn't take direction from Gable or his athletes?
I can't stand people who complain all the time and never do anything to be part of the solution.
You like to flap your trap and regurgitate things you heard on a message board.

Reactions: el dub
when someone thinks its appropriate or (more importantly) productive to cold call a HC or AD out of the blue to let them know all the things they are doing wrong...it gives me a lot of insight into that person

if you think people should contact coaches to let them know what to fix, should we also be contacting wrestlers to let them what we think they should do differently to win more matches?

So under this mentality does Lisa Bluder get put on the Hot Seat to be fired ?? i mean she has had some outstanding seasons and does more than her share of winning but damn....she cant win that Natty and she has been runner up TWICE in a ROW and she had the GREATEST COLLEGE BASKETBALL PLAYER IN HISTORY TO HELP !!! what kind of BS is that for coaching ??? In reality I LOVE HER and HER COACHING and DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY CHANGES>>>>>>> but i am plugging that same formula for the Hawkeyes Ladies basketball team. I do agree TNT need to make some changes on their staff but in the grand scheme of college sports only the truly dedicated fans and the countless Trolls on here are the ones who bitch and moan everyday about TNT. The average fan is just happy the wrestling team is winning A LOT !!!!!! and they are Happy when their Head Coach Helps raise 30 plus million dollars for a new facility and lastly they are Happy because TNT are true Hawkeyes and are loyal to their alma mater . I am all in for a recruiting coordinator and for some changes from TNT but not a wholesale change to an unproven guy with no prior coaching experience.
Lisa Bluder doesn’t have one of the largest budgets in her sport nor does she have a history of 24 national titles, nor does she state publicly that her goal every year is to win a national title. Iowa wrestling and Iowa basketball have different standards. You know this.

I’m not a troll nor a t an t hater. I do believe some change needs to happen. Possibly drastic change.

So, you want Tom replaced as coach, but you respect him and aren't going to go to his boss to get him fired or even express your concerns... interesting.
I want him replaced as a coach because I don't think he's the right man for the job (proven over the past 14 years). I respect him as a person, as he possesses qualities that are worthy of respect. I'm not going to his boss to get him fired because I wouldn't do that to anybody. I respect myself enough not to do that. What is so difficult to understand about that? Are you incapable of nuance?

I can't stand people who complain all the time and never do anything to be part of the solution.

Let's go 1 by 1

1. It's been said on here by Tom bootlickers that there will be no changes made to staff or "scrambling"

2. It's been 14 years. It ain't working. And if the above mentioned are Tom making "effort" - i have a really good picture of what next year and the years after with him at the helm are going to look like.

3. Because I know this one for a fact. Heard it from the horse's mouth on multiple occasion.

4. I have done my part. I've given money, hell, i've even sent a few "improvements" that could be made (years ago, and i was right then) to Tom.

I like to talk. Wife complains about that. get in line. "regurgitate things i hear on a message board" - nah son. I think i've more than proven I get mucho information from the inside.

I upvoted the top half of your post.

I want him replaced as a coach because I don't think he's the right man for the job (proven over the past 14 years). I respect him as a person, as he possesses qualities that are worthy of respect. I'm not going to his boss to get him fired because I wouldn't do that to anybody. I respect myself enough not to do that. What is so difficult to understand about that? Are you incapable of nuance?

You're doing the right thing. The absolute perfect approach given your status. LOL at the thought of randomly ringing the AD out of no where and giving her a piece of your mind. LOL

Incapable of moving away from black/white thinking, me thinks.

Reactions: wahlberg
Where do you think you are? This is a message board lmao.

I'll send Beth an email right now. Would that make my criticisms more valid to you?

Reactions: vhsalum

Not embarrassed because I could give a shit less what your thoughts are and the facts stands that so many of you want to clean house and Fire TNT and go with a new direction...and that's your opinion and I can agree to disagree But TNT are winning more dual meets and doing all of the winning they need in order to keep the majority of the alumni happy...not always the diehard wrestling fans but the rest of the hawkeye fans see a winning match result almost every week during the season and they are putting Fans in the seats and selling out Carver for every match.

Not embarrassed because I could give a shit less what your thoughts are and the facts stands that so many of you want to clean house and Fire TNT and go with a new direction...and that's your opinion and I can agree to disagree But TNT are winning more dual meets and doing all of the winning they need in order to keep the majority of the alumni happy...not always the diehard wrestling fans but the rest of the hawkeye fans see a winning match result almost every week during the season and they are putting Fans in the seats and selling out Carver for every match.

Dual meets... we talking bout dual meets?

mqdefault.jpg

this year seemed like the attendance was way down. I have no numbers but it didnt seem like all the meets were full like in the past.

Back to the original topic, the portal......... Anyone know if we are in on anyone for 133? To me that is the biggest hole along with 184 for 1 more year..... That is based on thinking Block will make 141....

Who said he had to try and get him fired? Can't he express his concerns about the program under Tom, without "trying to get him fired?"
I think some of you are defending a big mouth on the internet that back tracks as soon as he is asked why he doesn't do something if he is so unhappy with how Tom runs the program.
I am 'doing something' about it. I'm sharing my thoughts on this fine forum. Do I get paid $600k+ each year by the University? No? Then, I'm under ZERO obligation to do their jobs for them. They didn't ask for my input and they don't pay me for it. If they want to seek it out on this forum, they can have at it because this is where I talk wrestling (at least where I talk wrestling online).
What's shocking is how you get you panties in a bunch over someone suggesting a past Iowa wrestler expresses their concerns to someone who can actually do something about it.
With your perseverating over this, why don't you just relay my message if you think it needs to be told to the AD and to Tom? Problem solved.

Let's go 1 by 1

1. It's been said on here by Tom bootlickers that there will be no changes made to staff or "scrambling"

2. It's been 14 years. It ain't working. And if the above mentioned are Tom making "effort" - i have a really good picture of what next year and the years after with him at the helm are going to look like.

3. Because I know this one for a fact. Heard it from the horse's mouth on multiple occasion.

4. I have done my part. I've given money, hell, i've even sent a few "improvements" that could be made (years ago, and i was right then) to Tom.

I like to talk. Wife complains about that. get in line. "regurgitate things i hear on a message board" - nah son. I think i've more than proven I get mucho information from the inside.
I don't think you have any information from the inside.
Did Gable tell you Tom doesn't take direction from him?
And the "nah son" part, Thank The Good Lord I'm not your son.

when someone thinks its appropriate or (more importantly) productive to cold call a HC or AD out of the blue to let them know all the things they are doing wrong
I think what you are describing is the classic "Karen" / "Ken" attitude.

This attitude embodies tons of self-righteous indignation that has been honed from years of preferential treatment. It produces quite a sense of entitlement and unwarranted self-importance.

The cringiness gives me the heebee geebees.

Last edited:
I am 'doing something' about it. I'm sharing my thoughts on this fine forum. Do I get paid $600k+ each year by the University? No? Then, I'm under ZERO obligation to do their jobs for them. They didn't ask for my input and they don't pay me for it. If they want to seek it out on this forum, they can have at it because this is where I talk wrestling (at least where I talk wrestling online).

With your perseverating over this, why don't you just relay my message if you think it needs to be told to the AD and to Tom? Problem solved.
So, I'd have to relay something like, "Hey Tom, some dude who claims he wrestled at Iowa under you and posts on the Hawkeye Report thinks you have been running the program into the ground for the past 14 years. He doesn't want to get you fired, but he wants you to get fired." Does that sound about right?

I don't think you have any information from the inside.
Did Gable tell you Tom doesn't take direction from him?
And the "nah son" part, Thank The Good Lord I'm not your son.
1. That's cute. Already proven it, but hey, you're really good at this "let me be as blind as biologically possible"

2. Yes. in as many words. He wasn't upset or bothered about it, understands he's not coaching anymore and it's Tom's team.

3. Nah. I'm your daddy now.

So, I'd have to relay something like, "Hey Tom, some dude who claims he wrestled at Iowa under you and posts on the Hawkeye Report thinks you have been running the program into the ground for the past 14 years. He doesn't want to get you fired, but he wants you to get fired." Does that sound about right?
Not really. We want a change of direction for the program. I’d be tickled if TnT could manage that feat.

Reactions: Hawkgma
1. That's cute. Already proven it, but hey, you're really good at this "let me be as blind as biologically possible"

2. Yes. in as many words. He wasn't upset or bothered about it, understands he's not coaching anymore and it's Tom's team.

3. Nah. I'm your daddy now.
I'd put a rope around my neck and jump out of the hay loft if you were my daddy...

Oh. They are “winning more dual meets”? Than whom or when? I guess I didn’t realize that the goal was to win “more dual meets.”

It was 100% ridiculous to compare Iowa wrestling to Iowa women’s basketball. Glad several here explained it to you. Hope it sunk in.

I can’t believe morons are blasting a guy who’s wrestled in the program and given Brands his input. Next level stupid even for this mess of a board.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT