ADVERTISEMENT

Official Portal Watch

let’s not forget that daton was ranked higher than Spencer across the board in 2017 recruiting rankings. the results speak for themselves on development
If I recall, they went back and forth and then with Spencer losing in the state finals his senior year, it seemed like a fair ranking.

Personally, I think the best recruiting pitch is - " Hey, Spencer Lee did not even win state(s) his senior year and we made him a 3 time NCAA champ!" :)

I don't think the perception is he makes guys wrestle with injuries, I think the perception is he beats the hell out of them until they're a shell of their former selves by their senior season.
I think the pressure the Iowa guys feel finally gets to them. They seem to be awful concerned (almost to the point of obsessed) with winning and doing their job - which seems to take the fun out of the sport and practice. That can wear on a guy over time and affect his practices also.
Listen to how many guys from other teams are talking about getting better and enjoying the sport. The seems to lead to a career that is improving as it goes along.
Certainly, everyone wants to win, but having an attitude of improvement and facing hurdles and enjoying the sport seems like it would certainly help with the ups and downs and give a guy a way to keep moving forward.

I think the pressure the Iowa guys feel finally gets to them. They seem to be awful concerned (almost to the point of obsessed) with winning and doing their job - which seems to take the fun out of the sport and practice. That can wear on a guy over time and affect his practices also.
Listen to how many guys from other teams are talking about getting better and enjoying the sport. The seems to lead to a career that is improving as it goes along.
Certainly, everyone wants to win, but having an attitude of improvement and facing hurdles and enjoying the sport seems like it would certainly help with the ups and downs and give a guy a way to keep moving forward.
this is pretty much what @wahlberg has said previously.

I'm sure they're aware. From what I understand, so many of you are so close to Tom that stating it here is essentially the same as talking to Tom about it.
Seriously dude, you wrestled at the University of Iowa under Tom Brands. That gives you an inside track to share your concerns with the AD or the coaching staff. You make it seem like you care about the program but only express your concerns on an anonymous forum. Seems like you are doing the Iowa wrestling program a disservice by not taking the next step.

I also posted the following (for a comparison):

23 of 32 (72%) Sanderson AA's who wrestled for Sanderson for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

14 of 34 (41%) Brands AA's who wrestled for Brands for more than 2 seasons recorded their best NCAA placement as a Senior (or in their final or most recent season).

that is some great info. thanks for posting. i would venture to say every team comes up short to psu in that category but nonetheless it’s an area iowa needs to improve on if they are going to close the gap

Seriously dude, you wrestled at the University of Iowa under Tom Brands. That gives you an inside track to share your concerns with the AD or the coaching staff. You make it seem like you care about the program but only express your concerns on an anonymous forum. Seems like you are doing the Iowa wrestling program a disservice by not taking the next step.
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

i just want to be clear that i'm not suggesting that the staff isn't 'on these' guys.

You really think every former athlete has the ear of the AD?

They just don’t know how else to respond.
Who exactly is “they”? There have been plenty of reasonable, dissenting responses. The truth is simple. Instead of incessant complaining, why not do something about it? I tried pretty damn hard for quite a while. If he is truly who he says he is, there absolutely are avenues open to him to make his feelings known to the powers that be. It is absolutely a fair response…

Reactions: Spoons
“Has the ear” is a lot different from getting access to the ear. A former athlete has plenty of avenues open to him to speak his mind…

Yes, I 100% think a past athlete has the inside track to getting to express their concerns to the AD.
Unless he burnt some bridges, he should have an open door to go in and talk to Tom also.

• Haha
Reactions: vhsalum
He’s just butt-hurt that a past athlete has shared his views with this community.
I'm not butt hurt about anything.
If I felt my former college wrestling coach was doing things that hurt the program, I wrestled for, I would reach out to the AD.
I'm not sure why he won't make the effort to express his concerns.

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Seriously dude, I think they're aware of all I've said, especially considering how many of you are close with Tom and can just tell him yourselves. I'm not sure what service I'd be doing to the program by directly telling Tom stuff he already knows. Do you really think Tom is going to respond well to a former wrestler of his telling him he needs to change his ways?

I may or may not have an 'inside track' to being able to communicate with the AD. I wouldn't know. I've never tried. I can tell you I only ever spoke with Gary Barta maybe once or twice (for like two minutes, about nothing important) when I was in the program. The bottom line is that I'm not going to go to anyone's boss to try to get them fired or anything close to that. The AD can make her own judgement. Maybe she isn't so concerned with how well we perform, but enjoys that the program does well financially. Who knows.

I post here because I enjoy discussing Iowa wrestling and this is one of the better places to do that.

giphy.gif

Unless you have the willingness and ability to raise funds for the department.
Come on, man. A former athlete has many more avenues to have a face to face with the program and even the Athletic Department. Hell, most can easily access practices or functions. Now, that doesn’t mean they can’t lose that access if what they say or how they say it doesn’t exactly go well with the people they express their opinions to…

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Yes, I 100% think a past athlete has the inside track to getting to express their concerns to the AD.
Unless he burnt some bridges, he should have an open door to go in and talk to Tom also.
I would agree unless a bridge is burnt these athletes more than likely have full access to their former coaches; however the AD is much much less likely; unless you’re talking about a Spencer Lee, Katelyn Clark type athlete.

Seriously dude, I think they're aware of all I've said, especially considering how many of you are close with Tom and can just tell him yourselves. I'm not sure what service I'd be doing to the program by directly telling Tom stuff he already knows. Do you really think Tom is going to respond well to a former wrestler of his telling him he needs to change his ways?

I may or may not have an 'inside track' to being able to communicate with the AD. I wouldn't know. I've never tried. I can tell you I only ever spoke with Gary Barta maybe once or twice (for like two minutes, about nothing important) when I was in the program. The bottom line is that I'm not going to go to anyone's boss to try to get them fired or anything close to that. The AD can make her own judgement. Maybe she isn't so concerned with how well we perform, but enjoys that the program does well financially. Who knows.

I post here because I enjoy discussing Iowa wrestling and this is one of the better places to do that.
The point is simple. If you feel strongly enough that you are correct and you care so strongly about the program, do more. MSU literally fell apart and I, along with plenty of other former wrestlers(many more prominent than me) voiced opinions until we were shut down. But, I will say Minkel did end up leaving earlier than I thought he would and the pressure on him wasn’t a slight percentage of what Brands would have on him.

If you, along with enough former wrestlers voiced the same opinions, I am pretty sure that would have some power behind it. Hell, depending on who you actually are, by yourself you could actually make some headway…

Reactions: T8KUDWN
The point is simple. If you feel strongly enough that you are correct and you care so strongly about the program, do more. MSU literally fell apart and I, along with plenty of other former wrestlers(many more prominent than me) voiced opinions until we were shut down. But, I will say Minkel did end up leaving earlier than I thought he would and the pressure on him wasn’t a slight percentage of what Brands would have on him.

If you, along with enough former wrestlers voiced the same opinions, I am pretty sure that would have some power behind it. Hell, depending on who you actually are, by yourself you could actually make some headway…
How much power did you have in getting Minkle canned?

Some of you guys have an incredibly skewed view of how much “pull” former college athletes have lol
There is a difference between access and pull. I had zero problem initially making my opinions heard and MSU doesn’t care remotely about a fringe program like wrestling. At Iowa, I am sure a former athlete’s opinion would at least be heard and, like I said, if enough agree with him, it could make a difference…

There is a difference between access and pull. I had zero problem initially making my opinions heard and MSU doesn’t care remotely about a fringe program like wrestling. At Iowa, I am sure a former athlete’s opinion would at least be heard and, like I said, if enough agree with him, it could make a difference…
So in other words, you speaking up made absolutely no difference.

How much power did you have in getting Minkle canned?
By myself? Very little. But, I absolutely was heard and I like to think that hearing it enough from multiple voices made some difference. At Iowa, where the pressure to succeed is much higher, I think former athletes complaining could hold more sway…

By myself? Very little. But, I absolutely was heard and I like to think that hearing it enough from multiple voices made some difference. At Iowa, where the pressure to succeed is much higher, I think former athletes complaining could hold more sway…
There’s a big difference between airing one’s opinions on a message board and actively trying to get a coach fired, imo.

Wahlberg's data is interesting and illuminating.

That doesn't obligate him to do anything else.

I find in favor of the defendant. Case dismissed, with prejudice.
Sorry, maybe I am drawing more from personal experience than most. But, if he truly believes everything he says, is who he says and is not just trolling, why not do more? What could it hurt? It’s not like it is hard. Hell, all the necessary emails are easy to access. If you don’t want to go to a meet or practice and talk directly to people, why not send a properly worded email?

It sure as hell has a better chance of doing something than arguing with a bunch of us knuckleheads on an anonymous message board…

There's a difference between feeling strongly enough to discuss it with you fine folk on a message board and going to someone's boss about them. You do realize that, correct?

There are plenty of other former Brands wrestlers who generally feel the way I do. I don't keep in touch with all my former teammates, but the ones I do keep in touch with all say similar things. But, most of us still respect the guy. We're not going to his boss to try to get him fired.

Sorry, maybe I am drawing more from personal experience than most. But, if he truly believes everything he says, is who he says and is not just trolling, why not do more? What could it hurt? It’s not like it is hard. Hell, all the necessary emails are easy to access. If you don’t want to go to a meet or practice and talk directly to people, why not send a properly worded email?

It sure as hell has a better chance of doing something than arguing with a bunch of us knuckleheads on an anonymous message board…

You know what the answer is man. 1. This is a message board. We're here to talk wrestling.

and 2. This message board gets back to Tom. He just doesn't care. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Hell - we were told by a Tom bootlicker that Tom is "very aware of our shortcomings in scrambling" and yet will address it by "working on finishing quicker"

Tom refuses to change. He's obstinate and blind at the same time. It's infuriating.

There's a difference between feeling strongly enough to discuss it with you fine folk on a message board and going to someone's boss about them. You do realize that, correct?

There are plenty of other former Brands wrestlers who generally feel the way I do. I don't keep in touch with all my former teammates, but the ones I do keep in touch with all say similar things. But, most of us still respect the guy. We're not going to his boss to try to get him fired.
Interesting in that everything you say here, which is a hell of a lot,sure wants him fired. Hell you even voted for it. I just find it to be more about fear and/or hypocrisy that you can so vehemently attack basically every aspect of his coaching on here, but balk at saying it face to face.

You speak of respect, but I would think respect would be doing it in person instead of anonymously and rather vehemently on the most active message board in the sport…

Edited to add: if you were just a fan, I wouldn’t have said anything like this. I may have still argued against your point of view, but as a former athlete, i absolutely believe you should be held to a higher standard…

Reactions: 1stplacehawk
Interesting in that everything you say here, which is a hell of a lot,sure wants him fired. Hell you even voted for it. I just find it to be more about fear and/or hypocrisy that you can so vehemently attack basically every aspect of his coaching on here, but balk at saying it face to face.

You speak of respect, but I would think respect would be doing it in person instead of anonymously and rather vehemently on the most active message board in the sport…

Edited to add: if you were just a fan, I wouldn’t have said anything like this. I may have still argued against your point of view, but as a former athlete, i absolutely believe you should be held to a higher standard…
I said the case was dismissed with prejudice, which means you can't bring it up again. I'm sorry, MSU, but I'm going to have to hold you in contempt.

Yes, I absolutely want Tom replaced as head coach and I'm not shy about saying so (or voting for it). That doesn't mean I'm into going to his boss about it. I don't talk to Tom. I haven't in years. I don't hate him but we're not best buds. I'm not going to just randomly call him up and tell him he better make changes and I think he needs to be replaced. I don't know what that accomplishes and it would be pretty doggone awkward actually. If he starts reaching out to his former wrestlers to figure out how to improve and I make the cut for people he wants an opinion from, I'd be happy to tell him my honest thoughts. Anyways, I do post on this forum. I have for years. So, this is a place where I express my opinions regarding Iowa wrestling.

I spoke of having enough respect for him (and myself) that I'm not going to his boss to try to get him canned. That doesn't mean I worship the guy to the point that I'm never going to say a bad word about his job performance on the forum I enjoy posting on, regardless of how 'active' it is...

As far as me being held to a higher standard on this forum as a former athlete, I think that's a weird take, but you do you man...

An outsider's opinion.

Most of the information here is focused on NCAA tournament results. And I agree that is where college wrestling is now, but I suspect the AD might have a different perspective.

Tom's dual record against closest rivals over the last 10 years.
ISU 9-0
tOSU 5-1
OSU 7-2
Mich 4-2
Neb 8-0
PSU (Iowa is the only team with more than 1 dual win)

I know the goal is to catch Penn State, but if that is the only standard, lots of coaches should be on the hot seat. IMO, the AD will be satisfied in the short term if Tom maintains a strong dual record and fills seats. Iowa v PSU duals are the next best draw after NCAAs.

One Caveat; Tom's leash will get uncomfortably short if he allows AJ on the team.

Last edited:
An outsider's opinion.

Most of the information here is focused on NCAA tournament results. And I agree that is where college wrestling is now, but I suspect the AD might have a different perspective.

Tom's dual record against closest rivals over the last 10 years.
ISU 9-0
tOSU 5-1
OSU 7-2
Mich 4-2
Neb 8-0
PSU (Iowa is the only team with more than 1 dual win)

I know the goal is to catch Penn State, but if that is the only standard, lots of coaches should be on the hot seat. IMO, the AD will be satisfied in the short term if Tom maintains a strong dual record and fills the stadium. Iowa v PSU duals are the next best draw after NCAAs.

One Caveat; Tom's leash will get uncomfortably short if he allows AJ on the team.
I’ll counter with 1/14. All that other stuff your wrote is great, but that 1 out of 14 really eats at Iowa wrestling and its fans.

Reactions: wahlberg
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT