ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official Transfer Portal-Palooza Thread ***

McCaffery isn’t going to recruit anyone who is going to take the spotlight away from Patrick next season. Next season isn’t about basketball it’s about mental health awareness. Connor will restart their progressive podcast again.
If Fran was serious about making change he would go hard after a player like Storr, he would have PM coming off the bench, and CM would be encouraged to move away from I.C. and make a name for himself, all by himself.

If Fran was serious about making change he would go hard after a player like Storr, he would have PM coming off the bench, and CM would be encouraged to move away from I.C. and make a name for himself, all by himself.
Connor won't be coaching at Iowa next year. He's said so many times. Fran was also asked about this months ago and he said that Connor was looking at NBA internships.

Connor won't be coaching at Iowa next year. He's said so many times. Fran was also asked about this months ago and he said that Connor was looking at NBA internships.

Nepotism 101 at Iowa for post Iowa undergrad career

Step 1: Setup your Kid with a entry level coaching job in the Pro's using family connections.
Step 2: After a period of time, bring them back as assistant and fast track your kid to replace you...to avoid
Iowa nepotism rules, the kid has to report directly to Barta

The only thing that can go wrong is in football, the kid has an assigned coordinator job and it is pretty easy to tell
when they are no good at it.

In basketball, there aren't defensive or offensive coordinators, and even
if there were....this is fran, so defense would be a non-paying job.

Connor is intelligent and somewhat charismatic guy....he probably could be successful in a lot
of different areas, but one of the greatest paying gigs is being a P5 head coach in football or
basketball....going into coaching is the family plan/smart play unless he has other aspirations.

Lots of transfers are making commitments according to the CBB subreddit. Just saw Indiana picked up one this morning. Awful quiet in Iowa City. I don’t have a good feeling about how this will go.
The Indiana kid is an in-state guy just moving up. I wouldn't be too concerned yet--none of the guys that Iowa's targeted have committed. The portal is a long 2 month process and we're about to enter into a 5 day dead period for the coach's convention at the Final 4. Patience.

Fran is not going to stand with just 1 recruit for the 2024 year, I'd bet he banks 1 of the 3 scholarships and gives 1 to Nimmers leaving just 1 to pull someone from the portal.

Although he will have 2 scholarships open up after this coming year with
Patrick and Tony possibly moving on but doesn't Tony have an extra Covid year if he wanted it? So he could buy 2 players from the portal if he wanted, we'll see.

Fran is not going to stand with just 1 recruit for the 2024 year, I'd bet he banks 1 of the 3 scholarships and gives 1 to Nimmers leaving just 1 to pull someone from the portal.

Although he will have 2 scholarships open up after this coming year with
Patrick and Tony possibly moving on but doesn't Tony have an extra Covid year if he wanted it? So he could buy 2 players from the portal if he wanted, we'll see.
In the new portal era, when players can leave for whatever reason they want, it's really dumb IMO to bank a scholarship in fear of not having an additional one for a 2024 class. Fran has an above average track record at roster retention, but he's still consistently lost 1-2 guys every year to the portal. I think the average of P6 portal losses is slightly above 3 from last year.
Perkins and Pat both have COVID years they can take, but just from Patrick's posts it does seem like he intends for this to be his final year. So Fran has 1 scholarship to work with and can easily just bank on another opening up through pure attrition--3 feels like it gives Fran some flexibility to go after top targets while also not feeling the need to throw out desperation scholarships of 4th or 5th targets if they don't land guys they want.
I also am skeptical as to whether or not Nimmers will get a scholarship--it probably depends on if they are not successful on landing guys in the portal. 1 scholarship is earmarked for a big man. Fran has also had in-person meetings on the east coast with guys who are more wing players. So reading between the lines that's 2 spots they are hoping to fill.

The hawkeyes will get players. Not the best players. Top transfers and high school players don't want to come and play for the hawkeyes.
Got to admit that Fran has come close and not landed a bunch of top recruits, but the portal is a little different than kids coming out of HS. Hawks have had 4 straight years with an all-B1G player, who also received national honors. Iowa is not a blue blood, but many of the "top" players are transferring out of those programs, because they are unhappy with the time or attention they got there. The returning lineup has some holes to fill, especially on the interior, so playing time should be an easy sell. If the NIL $ are there, Iowa should be very competitive in the portal this year.

Got to admit that Fran has come close and not landed a bunch of top recruits, but the portal is a little different than kids coming out of HS. Hawks have had 4 straight years with an all-B1G player, who also received national honors. Iowa is not a blue blood, but many of the "top" players are transferring out of those programs, because they are unhappy with the time or attention they got there. The returning lineup has some holes to fill, especially on the interior, so playing time should be an easy sell. If the NIL $ are there, Iowa should be very competitive in the portal this year.
Iowa didn't used to get QB transfers from Michigan either.

Its uncharted territory at the moment.

People want to fall back on what they know but what they know isn't necessarily relevant now.

We'll have to see what happens.

If we can't fill needs now, coming off 3 guys drafted in 2 years, one a lottery, with immediate pt available at 2 spots then its never going to happen and thats a terrible sign for whats to come.

The hawkeyes will get players. Not the best players. Top transfers and high school players don't want to come and play for the hawkeyes.

that-sucks-tantrum.gif

I think in the future, High School recruits will try to star at smaller schools and then transfer to the major schools.
Iowa should start a pipeline of feeder schools to develop a pool of transfer athletes.
At one time a University of Iowa (Des Moines) was discussed.

I think in the future, High School recruits will try to star at smaller schools and then transfer to the major schools.
Iowa should start a pipeline of feeder schools to develop a pool of transfer athletes.
That wouldn't be a bad strategy for most kids. Of course, the really good ones don't think that way - they'll go to Kansas and sit on the bench for a while and then transfer if not playing.

Reactions: amahawk
Fran is looking at the portal for all positions, correct? get the best possible regardless of position.

That’s kind of what we used to do with junior colleges like Indian Hills.

He wants 2 bigs. The 3rd scholarship could be used on another position. But right now bigs are the priority.
Idk.

I think Brauns walks on, and then one more big transfer will get a scholly. Mulvey doesn’t appear to be going anywhere. And you have two frosh coming in who might be able to contribute next year. I say he’s looking more for scorers than anything. And wings and guards are most needed for Fran’s style.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT