ADVERTISEMENT

*** Official Transfer Portal-Palooza Thread ***

Kerr Kriisa is going to be in the portal. He would be a good pick-up no matter where he goes.

Not anywhere near my first choice but Eli King, ISU guard hit the portal today. Great athleticism, presumably can play defense, good size but sure didn't shoot the rock well at all last season.

Iowa was recruiting him hard out of HS. No idea if there has been current contact or interest.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/stats/_/id/5106253/eli-king
Have no idea how good he is. But only played in 10 games and most minutes he played was 7 in the first game.

Reactions: skydog0784
You can't take them all. With N.I.L. it seems to have become a free agent market. Jucos seem to be fading , will high school recruiting be next?
Would make sense. Do div one just poach proven players from other schools from now on?

Would make sense. Do div one just poach proven players from other schools from now on?
Right now, I think high school recruiting is more impacted by the extra covid year everyone has. About 15% of the D1 basketball scholarships are being used by 5th year seniors this past season. That's a heck of a lot less rides to give out to incoming freshmen.

It would have been nice to be able to play 5 out and have the lane wide open.

Garza shot over 3 per game his senior year.
Not disagreeing but we were desperate for a big man of any kind when we got Rebraca. And you and I know scoring has never been an issue for Frans teams.

Reactions: RocknRollface
So no offense here, but when you see the list of all these guys they basically mention they've heard from half of the entire country about transferring to their school. It seems like there's more schools who have reached out to these kids vs have not. So when I see a list of 25 schools and Iowa's name on it I can't say it really moves the needle for me. Now if it was a list of 5 legit besides "I've heard from them" then I guess I would pay more attention. I'm glad we're out working the portal for the 900 kids so far that have entered but it seems like finding a needle in a haystack at this point.

So no offense here, but when you see the list of all these guys they basically mention they've heard from half of the entire country about transferring to their school. It seems like there's more schools who have reached out to these kids vs have not. So when I see a list of 25 schools and Iowa's name on it I can't say it really moves the needle for me. Now if it was a list of 5 legit besides "I've heard from them" then I guess I would pay more attention. I'm glad we're out working the portal for the 900 kids so far that have entered but it seems like finding a needle in a haystack at this point.

What will be interesting to see is:

* Who actually visits Iowa City

* Will we lose out on prospects because we did not have "enough" NIL to offer (which was being reported a year ago)

And you wonder why I call this the portal potty. It all stinks! ;)

And then you also have guys like Ledlum who had a list of 2 dozen schools reach out reportedly, Iowa wasn't one of them, and then a week later we find out that Fran met with him in person. So yeah, the "reach out lists" are pretty meaningless, but for some of us it gives us some sense of entertainment during the off-season. I'd rather fantasize about a potential roster add than re-hash the same arguments about Fran, attendance, guard play, defense, etc for the millionth time 🤷‍♂️

Theres not a lot more you could ask of Fran right now.

This is the beginning of the process that will last all summer and hes contacting a lot of players at multiple positions. That has not been the case in years past.

Maybe the results end up the same, and that would be a problem, but the number of targets and the resources at hand are not at all the same as years past.

Theres not a lot more you could ask of Fran right now.

This is the beginning of the process that will last all summer and hes contacting a lot of players at multiple positions. That has not been the case in years past.

Maybe the results end up the same, and that would be a problem, but the number of targets and the resources at hand are not at all the same as years past.
Just for reference, the NCAA instituted a 60 day transfer window this year. So my understanding is that the portal will close in mid May. So we are effectively a quarter of the way through the process.

Just for reference, the NCAA instituted a 60 day transfer window this year. So my understanding is that the portal will close in mid May. So we are effectively a quarter of the way through the process.
Really? Had not heard that.

So if you decide to transfer after that window you're back to sitting out a year?

Will be interesting to see if they actually enforce that. Its a good idea in theory but I'm guessing they'll be handing out a ton of exceptions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT