ADVERTISEMENT

*****OFFICIAL TRUMP CRIMINAL TRIAL THREAD*****

Primarily on trial because he didn't pay her with campaign funds,.. go figure.
Trump is not on trial for something he failed to do. The government must prove the allegations in the indictment all of which (as pertains to Trump) allege intentional acts/conduct which constitute a crime.

Reactions: lucas80
Trump is not on trial for something he failed to do. The government must prove the allegations in the indictment all of which (as pertains to Trump) allege intentional acts/conduct which constitute a crime.
Having an affair is not a crime,.. Paying someone to not publicly discuss an affair is not a crime,.. Categorizing that payment as a business expense would have been a misdemeanor in the State of New York, with a statute of limitations that has long sense lapsed,.. Committing this now lapsed misdemeanor in support of another crime could be a felony,.. What is this other crime?,.. The DA alleges that campaign finance violations occurred when Trump made these payments from personal accounts instead of from campaign funds,.. Trump has never been charged or convicted of committing federal campaign fraud....

Having an affair is not a crime,.. Paying someone to not publicly discuss an affair is not a crime,.. Categorizing that payment as a business expense would have been a misdemeanor in the State of New York, with a statute of limitations that has long sense lapsed,.. Committing this now lapsed misdemeanor in support of another crime could be a felony,.. What is this other crime?,.. The DA alleges that campaign finance violations occurred when Trump made these payments from personal accounts instead of from campaign funds,.. Trump has never been charged or convicted of committing federal campaign fraud....
well...then it seems that trump has nothing to worry about

or you're wildly mischaracterizing the indictments

i guess we'll find out

The defense can present whatever relevant evidence or defense theory they want. Trump’s legal defense team has not filed a motion to dismiss the charges based on your “personal accounts” theory.

Still, your contention that Trump is on trial “because he didn’t pay her with campaign funds” is false and a bit silly.

Interesting analysis today on Lib TV by former federal prosecutor, and Mueller probe lawyer, Andrew Weissman. They were discussing witnesses and Hope Hicks was deemed to be very damaging to Trump because she's the only person in his orbit who will be deemed credible, and will probably hurt him. Weissman threw out the name of David Pecker. He and the National Enquirer received immunity from the Feds, but he will have to testify fully and truthfully. The NE had a long history of working with Trump, and more so than Cohen with his supposed credibility issues, Pecker and the other NE guy on the witness list have receipts, and no potential bias against Trump. They worked with him to plant stories, and to kill stories in 2016.

It's not good when your pecker testifies against you.

I just saw the judge excused the jury for the day.

Two whole hours of court today? Seems like they should be able to do a trial for a little longer than that each day.

Reactions: LunchBox50

This is like a rant from the orange turd himself, minus the CAPSLOCK.

Nice piece on how the various cable news outlets are covering:

Trial coverage: Day One

Fox News is a joke​

APR 22
A few observations after spending Monday morning watching cable news coverage of the first day of the first criminal trial of Donald Trump.

I had an advantage, depending on how you look at, of being under the weather so really wasn’t up for much more than vegging in front of the TV with the remote control in my hand.

Both CNN and MSNBC provided excellent, complete coverage of the judge’s instructions to the jury, of the opening arguments by both sides, and of the first witness with the you-can’t-make-this-stuff up name of David Pecker. More on him in a minute.

Fox “News”, on the other hand, was a complete joke.

At 10:00 am central time, when the opening arguments were underway, CNN had two panels of anchors and analysts. A reporter inside the courtroom sent text messages that were instantly displayed in an on-screen box. Each sentence was analyzed as to its significance. Experienced trial lawyers told viewers the importance of opening arguments and what the prosecution and defense will try to do.

Fox at 10:00 am, opened with the trial story, but had only one anchor read over some graphics. No analysts. No live reporters outside the courthouse. No quotes from inside the courtroom.

Here’s what the anchor said: “It’s been six years. Liberal district attorney Alvin Bragg suddenly (emphasis mine) brought this case against Donald Trump on those charges.” She went on to say, “All of it has people asking district attorney Bragg ‘why now?’ Critics are claiming all of these anti-Trump efforts are politics.” (What people? What critics? She didn’t say.) And finally, “The criticism is across the board against how the legal system is dealing its cards against Donald Trump.” (Uh, no, it’s not “across the board.” There are plenty of Americans who are happy Trump is finally facing consequences for his acts.)

And that’s it! That loaded language was the sum total of trial coverage off the top of the hour. By 10:02 am, Fox was off to some of its favorite subjects to exploit, like anti-Israeli protests on college campuses and how President Joe Biden wants to expand protections to “pregnant, gay and transgender student athletes.”

It’s irresponsible and reckless for a news organization to willfully downplay a story of this magnitude. It’s more evidence proving that Fox is afraid of its own audience, and fears viewers will leave if they provide coverage that doesn’t align with their views.

Balanced coverage vs. fair coverage​

Whenever I write something negative about Fox, I usually get a comment or two from a reader who says CNN and MSNBC are just as biased as Fox, but for the other side. Today’s coverage proves that’s not true.

CNN and MSNBC provided detailed coverage of both the prosecution and defense opening statements. There was no censorship when Trump’s attorney began speaking to the jury. CNN had legal analysis from both sides of the case, including two of Trump’s former attorneys.

When trial adjourned for the day and Trump came out to deliver his hallway soliloquy, only then did Fox put up the Breaking News banner and rush live coverage to air to carry all of Trump’s comments. It doesn’t get more obvious than that.

CNN, to its credit, also carried all of Trump’s comments. MSNBC carried the first part, but jumped out once Trump started making false allegations that Biden is masterminding all the cases against Trump. It’s simply a lie, and a responsible news organization is not obligated to report lies, no matter who is saying them.

As for the first witness, David Pecker, who owned a company publishing tabloids like the National Enquirer, he told the jury right off the top, “We used checkbook journalism.” No one is shocked by that admission, but it certainly sheds light on why Trump is always accusing everyone else of “fake news.” He’s very familiar with it, having worked hand-in-hand with Pecker over the years to publish positive stories about Trump, negative stories about his opponents, and to “catch and kill” negative Trump stories by paying people off. As usual with Trump, the horrible things he accuses others of doing are the very things he does himself.

Day one is in the books. It’s going to be a long trial. I realize you don’t have the time to watch hours of coverage like I did today, and I hope once I feel better, I don’t, either. But moving forward, put some thought into who you trust for coverage and who you don’t. There’s a difference.

Fox News is a joke​

APR 22
A few observations after spending Monday morning watching cable news coverage of the first day of the first criminal trial of Donald Trump.

I had an advantage, depending on how you look at, of being under the weather so really wasn’t up for much more than vegging in front of the TV with the remote control in my hand.

Both CNN and MSNBC provided excellent, complete coverage of the judge’s instructions to the jury, of the opening arguments by both sides, and of the first witness with the you-can’t-make-this-stuff up name of David Pecker. More on him in a minute.

At 10:00 am central time, when the opening arguments were underway, CNN had two panels of anchors and analysts. A reporter inside the courtroom sent text messages that were instantly displayed in an on-screen box. Each sentence was analyzed as to its significance. Experienced trial lawyers told viewers the importance of opening arguments and what the prosecution and defense will try to do.

Fox at 10:00 am, opened with the trial story, but had only one anchor read over some graphics. No analysts. No live reporters outside the courthouse. No quotes from inside the courtroom.

Here’s what the anchor said: “It’s been six years. Liberal district attorney Alvin Bragg suddenly (emphasis mine) brought this case against Donald Trump on those charges.” She went on to say, “All of it has people asking district attorney Bragg ‘why now?’ Critics are claiming all of these anti-Trump efforts are politics.” (What people? What critics? She didn’t say.) And finally, “The criticism is across the board against how the legal system is dealing its cards against Donald Trump.” (Uh, no, it’s not “across the board.” There are plenty of Americans who are happy Trump is finally facing consequences for his acts.)

And that’s it! That loaded language was the sum total of trial coverage off the top of the hour. By 10:02 am, Fox was off to some of its favorite subjects to exploit, like anti-Israeli protests on college campuses and how President Joe Biden wants to expand protections to “pregnant, gay and transgender student athletes.”

It’s irresponsible and reckless for a news organization to willfully downplay a story of this magnitude. It’s more evidence proving that Fox is afraid of its own audience, and fears viewers will leave if they provide coverage that doesn’t align with their views.

Whenever I write something negative about Fox, I usually get a comment or two from a reader who says CNN and MSNBC are just as biased as Fox, but for the other side. Today’s coverage proves that’s not true.

CNN and MSNBC provided detailed coverage of both the prosecution and defense opening statements. There was no censorship when Trump’s attorney began speaking to the jury. CNN had legal analysis from both sides of the case, including two of Trump’s former attorneys.

When trial adjourned for the day and Trump came out to deliver his hallway soliloquy, only then did Fox put up the Breaking News banner and rush live coverage to air to carry all of Trump’s comments. It doesn’t get more obvious than that.

CNN, to its credit, also carried all of Trump’s comments. MSNBC carried the first part, but jumped out once Trump started making false allegations that Biden is masterminding all the cases against Trump. It’s simply a lie, and a responsible news organization is not obligated to report lies, no matter who is saying them.

As for the first witness, David Pecker, who owned a company publishing tabloids like the National Enquirer, he told the jury right off the top, “We used checkbook journalism.” No one is shocked by that admission, but it certainly sheds light on why Trump is always accusing everyone else of “fake news.” He’s very familiar with it, having worked hand-in-hand with Pecker over the years to publish positive stories about Trump, negative stories about his opponents, and to “catch and kill” negative Trump stories by paying people off. As usual with Trump, the horrible things he accuses others of doing are the very things he does himself.

Day one is in the books. It’s going to be a long trial. I realize you don’t have the time to watch hours of coverage like I did today, and I hope once I feel better, I don’t, either. But moving forward, put some thought into who you trust for coverage and who you don’t. There’s a difference.
But @janitor says that daytime, fox news is good.

Fox News is a joke​

APR 22

God bless Fox, they tried to break from Trump, but then their viewers started switching over to Newsmax and OANN for the ReAL tRUtH! So, Rupert decided to go full MAGA again, with the occasional disclaimer to satisfy the lawyers.

Fox News is a joke​

APR 22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT