ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio governor calls special session to pass legislation ensuring President Biden is on 2024 ballot

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Ohio’s Republican Gov. Mike DeWine said Thursday that he is calling a rare special session of the General Assembly next week to pass legislation ensuring that President Joe Biden is on the state’s 2024 ballot.

The special session was called for Tuesday.

“Ohio is running out of time to get Joe Biden, the sitting President of the United States, on the ballot this fall. Failing to do so is simply unacceptable. This is ridiculous. This is (an) absurd situation,” DeWine said.

The question of whether Biden will appear on the ballot has become entangled in a partisan legislative fight to keep foreign money out of state ballot campaigns, a year after cash tied to a Swiss billionaire boosted a successful effort to enshrine abortion rights in the solidly red state’s constitution.

The Democratic National Convention, where Biden is to be formally nominated, falls after Ohio’s ballot deadline of Aug. 7. The convention will be held Aug. 19-22 in Chicago

Mainstream Republicans causing the unnecessary disaster. Pitiful
Republicans extend an olive branch to you idiots and your response is to shit on them. Why is it not biden's fault? I mean, I know it never is, but why specifically this time is it not?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
Ohio in the past has always passed legislation to allow late convention results. But this cycle, the Republicans instead of just doing it like they used to, made it into a big deal for some reason. It worked - they grabbed lots of publicity.

If need be, couldn’t the DNC simply certify Biden as their candidate prior to the deadline? It’s not like there was going to be a lot of drama at the convention anyway.

DeWine is doing the right thing in forcing Republicans to address the issue. This country is already divided enough as it is. Leaving Biden off the ballot in Ohio would have caused damage that would take decades to repair.

Having said that, both parties should probably consider holding their conventions a little earlier in the future. If we’re going to make mail-in voting and early voting a bigger part of the process then states need time to print and mail millions of ballots.

Good for the Governor, but why not just issue the waiver like they have done in the past for both parties?

• Love
Reactions: KFsdisciple
Eff the Rs. The RNC convention was after this date in both 2020 and 2016 and the Rs had no problem allowing Trump on the ballot. Yet more proof that the Rs are bad faith bargaining partners

If need be, couldn’t the DNC simply certify Biden as their candidate prior to the deadline? It’s not like there was going to be a lot of drama at the convention anyway.

DeWine is doing the right thing in forcing Republicans to address the issue. This country is already divided enough as it is. Leaving Biden off the ballot in Ohio would have caused damage that would take decades to repair.

Having said that, both parties should probably consider holding their conventions a little earlier in the future. If we’re going to make mail-in voting and early voting a bigger part of the process then states need time to print and mail millions of ballots.

Ehh I don't think any other state requires the nominees names to be turned in as early as Ohio.

This strikes me as more of an issue of Ohio being an outlier in when they expect the nominations in rather than the conventions being held too late in the year.

Ohio created exemptions twice before for both conventions so it's shown that it's clearly not needed to be that early.

Reaction to this type stuff.

While I didn't agree with their move because I said basically that you needed to have a conviction of insurrection or some sort of insurrection adjacent crime, the issue here is that no one is arguing that Trump didn't commit insurrection.

So you are comparing someone who attempted a coup and committed insurrection to a paperwork filing deadline that clearly earlier than any other state in the union.

• Haha
Reactions: ICHerky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT