ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio Republican governor vetoes ban on gender-affirming care for minors

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine (R) struck down a bill that would have banned gender-affirming care for minors, preserving such care for residents beyond his state as well, because families of transgender youths who live in states with bans have been traveling to Ohio for treatment.

Republicans, who have a supermajority in the legislature, could override DeWine’s veto and are expected to push back.

“This bill would impact a very small number of Ohio’s children. But for those children who face gender dysphoria, the consequences of this bill could not be more profound. Ultimately I believe this is about protecting human life,” DeWine said Friday during a news conference announcing the decision. “Many parents have told me that their child would not have survived, would be dead today, if they had not received the treatment they received from one of Ohio’s children’s hospitals.”

ADVERTISING

“These are gut-wrenching decisions that should be made by parents and should be informed by teams of doctors who are advising them,” DeWine continued. “Were I to sign House Bill 68, or were House Bill 68 to become law, Ohio would be saying that the state, that the government knows better what is medically best for a child than the two people who love that child the most: The parents.”

Hundreds of anti-trans bills have wound their way through dozens of state legislatures across the country. Almost half the states in the nation have passed laws targeting transgender people — including states that border Ohio. Many of these bills ban gender-affirming care for minors and restrict trans girls’ participation in school athletics.
Ohio’s Saving Adolescents From Experimentation Act, or SAFE Act, would have prohibited hormone therapy, puberty blockers and gender reassignment surgery for people under 18. The measure also would have prohibited transgender girls from playing on sports teams designated for girls and women in high school and college, known as the Save Women’s Sports Act. Its sponsor, state Rep. Gary Click (R), has said that the measure was not about “culture wars” but about “medical ethics.”

Click’s office had told The Post that if vetoed, he would call for the legislature to override the veto.
DeWine said that while he is vetoing the bill, he is directing his administration to begin work on administrative rules “to establish important protections for Ohio children, and Ohio adults” on the issue. This will hopefully avoid a veto override, he said.
Ohio legislators sent the bill to DeWine this month after heated debates among lawmakers. Proponents argued that the measure focused on the well-being of children; opponents argued that the bill was not supported by science and, in turn, could cause more harm than good.
Hundreds of people testified in hearings on the legislation this year, with 87 people testifying during a state Senate committee hearing in early December that stretched past 11 p.m. A majority of them testified against the bill, and many of those who supported the ban flew in from out of state to testify.

The bill passed the Ohio Senate 24-8 and the House 61-27, largely along party lines in the Republican-controlled chambers, joining more than 20 states that have passed similar restrictions in the past two years.
Ohio resident Rick Colby broke party lines in May to testify against the bill as a Republican. His adult son is transgender, and has received gender-affirming care in the state, Colby told The Washington Post this week, referring to the bill as a “horror” and adding that it suggests a disparity among Ohioans’ ability to care for their trans children.
While minors who are already receiving gender-affirming care would’ve been allowed to continue, other parents “would be criminals, if they seek care for their child after the bill becomes effective. It’s crazy,” Colby said, suggesting that the governor consider creating a commission to study the issue instead. “This is not like some partisan issue here. This is an issue that transcends politics. … Get all the right people together, parents and even supporters of the bill, get them all together. Then have public meetings.”

Just want to point out that the kids aren't making the "decisions" here. It's the parents, after speaking with doctors. I'm sure you already knew that and just worded this incorrectly.

Just as ****ing stupid. Only a freaking loser piece of shit would think it’s okay for a child to do this. It’s not as if kids don’t change how they feel over time

Why do kids have so many rights in today’s world? They are still kids who are clueless morons.
Why are parents no longer able to see their child’s MyChart after a certain age, why are schools allowing children to change clothes at school to wear something other than what parents send them to school in?
They’re morons, most of them until well into their 20’s.

5cb73090-44fd-4eed-92ff-68cb653a80bd_text.gif

Uro does this kind of care. Just going off memory be he said that they won't touch surgery until they are adults. Until then it's hormone therapy which is largely reversible.
Claiming that hormone therapy is reversible is an outright lie. You cannot change a teenagers hormones during puberty and think that this can be reversed. No halfway intelligent person believes this load of shit you're spewing.

"Omg guys it's so bigoted to call out this trans person telling children they can leave their parents and come live with him!!!"

Just shut up, loser.

🤣🤣

Doesn't take much to trigger you, does it, little guy?

Your obsession with the trans community is telling.

Your recognition that you are one of the bigots to whom I was referring is also telling.

Such a sad, pathetic little incel...

Reactions: nelly02
That's true.

What happens if the kids change their minds about trans care after they become adults?
You do get that there's a very wide range of treatment options involved in gender-affirming care, right? No, I'm not arguing in full-on TG surgery options that are irreversible for minors, but there's a great deal of therapy, hormone treatments, various drugs (depending on case) if needed.

Don't pretend to be any sort of expert in what all is involved, but from what I understand there's alot of treatment/therapy options that are totally off the board if you just blanket ban "gender-affirming therapy".

You do get that there's a very wide range of treatment options involved in gender-affirming care, right? No, I'm not arguing in full-on TG surgery options that are irreversible for minors, but there's a great deal of therapy, hormone treatments, various drugs (depending on case) if needed.

Don't pretend to be any sort of expert in what all is involved, but from what I understand there's alot of treatment/therapy options that are totally off the board if you just blanket ban "gender-affirming therapy".

Yes, I know there's a range of treatment options.

I thought some were permanent like puberty blockers.

I'm not an expert in the least, which is why I asked.

Puberty blockers aren't necessarily permanent - tho I think the duration of use, monitoring by doctors in said use plays a factor.

Again, don't pretend to be an expert so if anyone can link to something one way or the other that'd be appreciated.

I aim to protect children. You don't. We're not the same.

This sure seems like "protecting children" to me:

But please, let your uneducated bigotry rule instead, little incel. I'd bet the only "protecting" of children you've done is following the court order to stay away from playgrounds and schools.

🤡

I also have no idea what this stuff does but I’m curious what this will do to a persons reproductive systems years down the road. Will they be f’ed when it comes to wanting to have kids? Will males be able to have babies?

I also have no idea what this stuff does but I’m curious what this will do to a persons reproductive systems years down the road. Will they be f’ed when it comes to wanting to have kids? Will males be able to have babies?

I'm not sure anyone knows.

There aren't many long term studies on "gender affirming care" because it didn't explode on the cultural scene until recently.

If I'm wrong, someone please let me know.

This sure seems like "protecting children" to me:

But please, let your uneducated bigotry rule instead, little incel. I'd bet the only "protecting" of children you've done is following the court order to stay away from playgrounds and schools.

🤡
You can't change your gender. Dosing kids on irreversible hormones and encouraging them to cut off their genitals will never change that. You're just pro butchering children.

You can't change your gender. Dosing kids on irreversible hormones and encouraging them to cut off their genitals will never change that. You're just pro butchering children.

🤣

Yep, that's totally what the article and research say, little bigot.

Such a sad, pathetic excuse for a human being...

Reactions: nelly02
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT