ADVERTISEMENT

On to Purdont!

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
Worried about this game. They seem to be on a roll. But I’ll be surprised if we shoot that poorly from 3 or the charity stripe though. Not too worried about their guards this year Traveon Williams is a beast inside.

With that said, I still think we win by 10.

Reactions: Moral
If Iowa doesn't take care of the basketball, doesn't shore up it's rebounding and makes poor decisions on offense, they'll be 6 and 2 come 10pm on Tuesday.
Purdue is just as quick as Gonzaga and have shown to be effective going to the basket and shooting the 3. They've owned us more often then not....

Should be a 7 to 9 point favorite. Would love to get off to a 2-0 start in the Big ten next week.. if not I think it’s time to adjust expectations (at least for me)..

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
source.gif

Worried about them going off on threes. If tou remember last year that was their whole game plan. Jack up as many threes as possible considering our 3 pt defense.
Of course maybe they won't make them all this year.

Better show up Hawks. Don't let Zags "beat you twice".

Purdue is a team that's getting better and better and Painter one of most underrated coaches in country. Must come to play and play to win

Reactions: briggshawk
Better show up Hawks. Don't let Zags "beat you twice".

Purdue is a team that's getting better and better and Painter one of most underrated coaches in country. Must come to play and play to win
Feed garza early, get williams and the the 9fter out then cruise to 1-0

If Iowa doesn't take care of the basketball (They can fix that), doesn't shore up it's rebounding (Will not change with this team) and makes poor decisions on offense (That's gonna be the guessing game every time with this team.....usually they can overcome that each game against bad opponents, but there aren't a lot of bad opponents in the Big 10......), they'll be 6 and 2 come 10pm on Tuesday.
Purdue is just as quick as Gonzaga and have shown to be effective going to the basket and shooting the 3. They've owned us more often then not....
They also get better in-game coaching and have bigs to contest with Garza.

Worried about them going off on threes. If tou remember last year that was their whole game plan. Jack up as many threes as possible considering our 3 pt defense.
Of course maybe they won't make them all this year.

We are a better shooting team than we were last year but I don't see us replicating what we did last year against you. This will be a rare game we miss Matt Haarms. I think he was a rare player that could kinda somewhat slow Garza a little because of his length and his mobility. Neither of our current bigs have a prayer of guarding him. Defensively, we just don't do a great job defending the three point line yet. Notre Dame shot very well against us from outside. I think we will be better at it by the end of the year but there's still some work to do there and playing you will hopefully accelerate that.

I like the improvements I've seen from us the past couple weeks as we've gained experience and got healthy. I don't think we are ready to win this game yet. I think Iowa should win by 10ish this week, possibly more if we play poorly. You guys are so good offensively this year that any game you play is a potential blowout if the opposition is off that day.

Purdue has been tough on the Hawkeyes in recent history. The Hawkeyes need to take care of their home court if we are to have a chance to win the league.

Last edited:
There will be an epic melt down on here if the hawks lose to Purdue 😟

This probably is a must win game if they have any hope of winning the big ten

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Worried about this game. They seem to be on a roll. But I’ll be surprised if we shoot that poorly from 3 or the charity stripe though. Not too worried about their guards this year Traveon Williams is a beast inside.

With that said, I still think we win by 10.
Matt Painter is a good coach; never underestimate that guy

it will be interesting go see how they defend us

and how will Iowa respond to a disappointing loss?

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Purdue plays good defense....they will put pressure on our outside shooters. They have two centers that bring two completely different attributes with which to guard Garza. As we have seen, every B10 team is dangerous on any given day. We will have to play better in almost every aspect than we did against Gonzaga if we are to win this game.....we can win and we should win....we need to win this game on our home court so that we can position ourselves for a run at the championship.

All that said....last year they freakin blitzed us twice.....twice.

i am guessing that will be their strategy, too
Possible, but if you look at the box scores of the two meetings last year, it might be the opposite. It might be the "Let Garza get his 25 and shut down everybody else" strategy. Purdue's defense is not as good as last year though, especially 3 point defense, so I'm not sure that is a winning strategy this year.

Can't lose twice to Gonzaga.....must turn around and handle Purdue. Ge the Gonzaga game out of their heads and play tough aggressive ball.

Reactions: Old Gold Boiler
Possible, but if you look at the box scores of the two meetings last year, it might be the opposite. It might be the "Let Garza get his 25 and shut down everybody else" strategy. Purdue's defense is not as good as last year though, especially 3 point defense, so I'm not sure that is a winning strategy this year.
I don’t remember the road game vs Purdue last year because I don’t want to. That being said in the home game, they started doubling the moment the post pass went in the air. They left Connor open and he led Iowa in 3 point attempts with 8.

If they play Garza straight up, it's not going to be 25. More like 40.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT