ADVERTISEMENT

One of my final "Rights of Passage" coming up....

joelbc1

HR King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
My money boyz called me Friday to remind me that now that I am 70 1/2 years of age, I am required to take a minimum dispersal from my retirement account.
It struck me kind of funny...a "right of passage" at my age but one that I find preferable to the alternative....not having any money saved for retirement.
I have to figure out the tax implications and then.....enjoy the fruits of my labors! Unfortunately, I believe my MediCare monthly donation will increase.......as someone here told me earlier today...
C'est la vie!

My money boyz called me Friday to remind me that now that I am 70 1/2 years of age, I am required to take a minimum dispersal from my retirement account.
It struck me kind of funny...a "right of passage" at my age but one that I find preferable to the alternative....not having any money saved for retirement.
I have to figure out the tax implications and then.....enjoy the fruits of my labors! Unfortunately, I believe my MediCare monthly donation will increase.......as someone here told me earlier today...
C'est la vie!

Congratulations. Hope you enjoy it

As a retiree myself it's startling to see the phrase 'final rights' in a sentence regardless of spelling...

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
C'est la vie!

*rite of passage

Reactions: cigaretteman
You seem like a generous enough guy Joel. Why not just use that rmd towards a qcd and avoid the taxes?

What the hell is a “QCD”?

If you make any type of significant charitable donations, you should definitely look into this. You make the donation directly from the IRA to the charity. You cannot t deduct the donation as an itemized deduction, but it does not come to you as income.

It can save significant tax dollars in multiple ways.

If you make any type of significant charitable donations, you should definitely look into this. You make the donation directly from the IRA to the charity. You cannot t deduct the donation as an itemized deduction, but it does not come to you as income.

Are my living expenses a qualifying non-profit/ charity? Maybe I should have gone to “Game Day” and brought my sign?

Reactions: Greenway4Prez

This

Are my living expenses a qualifying non-profit/ charity? Maybe I should have gone to “Game Day” and brought my sign?

Bourbon is generally non-deductible. But look into the QCD if you make anything more than a couple of thousand in charitable donations.

Bourbon is generally non-deductible. But look into the QCD if you make anything more than a couple of thousand in charitable donations.

I am thinking a set of irons...and my golf game certainly is a non-profit Charity!

Sea..how is this “neater” than me writing a check at the end of the year to a chosen charity (which is a consideration)? That would be deductible. But, since We no longer itemize, maybe the QCD would be more efficient?

I am thinking a set of irons...and my golf game certainly is a non-profit Charity!

Sea..how is this “neater” than me writing a check at the end of the year to a chosen charity (which is a consideration)? That would be deductible. But, since We no longer itemize, maybe the QCD would be more efficient?

There are a number of different ways it can benefit someone, depending on their particular tax situation. The key is that, if you get a check from your IRA & then stroke a similar check to the church, the check you GOT from the IRA is included in your adjusted gross income. That can be bad for a lot of calculations. If you're in the income range where more AGI causes you to pay a extra for medicare, you've just added more to that AGI & maybe pushed yourself into the next higher bracket of medicare premiums. If your income is lower, you might be in the range where a portion of your SS benefits are taxed. In that range, it's maybe even worse - because every dollar of additional AGI makes another dollar of the SS benefits taxable. If you're higher income & have certain other itemized deductions, they can get limited or decreased based on your higher AGI.
For a lot of others, it's simpler. If you don't itemize, you've added the required distribution to your AGI but don't get any deduction because you use the standard deduction anyway. Quick example; without the RMD your income is $50k. Married, subtract the standard deduction of $24k, your taxable income is $26k. Now, assume this year everything's the same but you have to take a $6k RMD. If you take the check, your income's $56k, subtract the standard deduction, taxable income is $32k. Assume that you always donate $5k to your church. In the above, you don't get a deduction for it because you use the standard deduction.
Now, change things so that instead you do the $5k to the church using the QCD rule. IRA sends $5k to the church, you get the other $1k for bourbon money. The money that went to the church is disregarded when it comes to your tax return. You've only added the $1000 to your income (your income would now be the original $50k + $1k from the RMD, minus the standard deduction you're taxed on $27k. You ended up in the same cash situation, but save the tax on the amount of the QCD.

There are a number of different ways it can benefit someone, depending on their particular tax situation. The key is that, if you get a check from your IRA & then stroke a similar check to the church, the check you GOT from the IRA is included in your adjusted gross income. That can be bad for a lot of calculations. If you're in the income range where more AGI causes you to pay a extra for medicare, you've just added more to that AGI & maybe pushed yourself into the next higher bracket of medicare premiums. If your income is lower, you might be in the range where a portion of your SS benefits are taxed. In that range, it's maybe even worse - because every dollar of additional AGI makes another dollar of the SS benefits taxable. If you're higher income & have certain other itemized deductions, they can get limited or decreased based on your higher AGI.
For a lot of others, it's simpler. If you don't itemize, you've added the required distribution to your AGI but don't get any deduction because you use the standard deduction anyway. Quick example; without the RMD your income is $50k. Married, subtract the standard deduction of $24k, your taxable income is $26k. Now, assume this year everything's the same but you have to take a $6k RMD. If you take the check, your income's $56k, subtract the standard deduction, taxable income is $32k. Assume that you always donate $5k to your church. In the above, you don't get a deduction for it because you use the standard deduction.
Now, change things so that instead you do the $5k to the church using the QCD rule. IRA sends $5k to the church, you get the other $1k for bourbon money. The money that went to the church is disregarded when it comes to your tax return. You've only added the $1000 to your income (your income would now be the original $50k + $1k from the RMD, minus the standard deduction you're taxed on $27k. You ended up in the same cash situation, but save the tax on the amount of the QCD.
Thank you. Very helpful.

Regarding the above example, what would the tax implications be if you were to use the RMD to fund cash distributions to your children?....

Wouldn't work on distributions to give gifts to kids, grandkids...same for college.

Reactions: Rifler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT