ADVERTISEMENT

OSU technical fouls

mr12182

HR MVP
Gold Member
Jan 14, 2009
What did they do to get each of these? Didn't see /hear much of an explanation from the announcers about either of them. TIA

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
CC and CM slightly bumped while passing each other during dead ball. CM took exception and gave CC a slight shove and an official watching gave her a T. Harris was called for a foul on Hannah for hip checking her out of bounds when chasing after loose ball. Obvious call, but Harris didn't like it and hit the floor with the basketball in her hands and got a T.

What did they do to get each of these? Didn't see /hear much of an explanation from the announcers about either of them. TIA
Not always what you see, but what an official hears. There are many comments on the one before half being cheap and initiated by Clark. It wasn't the bump and shove that got it called, but what Cotie was jawing to Hannah. The little shove was the enough is enough.
Second half was the same as the ref was being jawed at, but remember the little cuss words will get you every time.

First was Harris on the hip check on Stuelke out of bounds instead of going for the ball. Got called and slammed the ball on the floor pissed about the ball. Then McMahon pushed CC22 after CC22 brushed her going to her teammates, McMahon retaliated by pushing her.

Reactions: amahawk
FIrst one i would have been 100% ok with letting it go nothing there worthwhile for T as CC kind of went into the OSU girl while she was going to her teammates and she just got shoved out of the way....

Second one was easy call to make
Agree.

Not always what you see, but what an official hears. There are many comments on the one before half being cheap and initiated by Clark. It wasn't the bump and shove that got it called, but what Cotie was jawing to Hannah. The little shove was the enough is enough.
Second half was the same as the ref was being jawed at, but remember the little cuss words will get you every time.
I wondered the same thing. The acts visually didn’t warrant techs imo but you don’t know if some magic words were used.

FIrst one i would have been 100% ok with letting it go nothing there worthwhile for T as CC kind of went into the OSU girl while she was going to her teammates and she just got shoved out of the way....

I figure the first one offsets them waving off Hannah’s tip-in to end the first half. I still don’t see how that wasn’t good.

I will admit to seeing VERY LITTLE of the game, unfortunately, but what I did see it appeared the officials did a solid job. I'm very quick to notice and point out when they suck (which is usually), so I'll point out the good too. Again, I saw about four minutes of actual game play so a very small sample, so maybe they sucked overall.

I still remember sitting behind the visiting team’s bench during an early season game in the Alford era. The game was not going well for the visitors (early season non-conference game). The ref was standing in front of their bench and suddenly blew his whistle, pointed down to the end of the bench and called a T. Their coach went ballistic. The ref went over to the coach, pointed to a player near the end of the bench and said: “Ask him!” The coach walked down to player and had a short conversation and threw his hands up in frustration. The game turned into a blowout and that player was the only one that did not play.

So yes—-what is said does matter.

Reactions: tweeterhawk
Gus Johnson made some comments on the "betting lines" of which quarter CC would break the scoring mark.

I'm guessing the official made a bet that the 2nd quarter would be it and had to make the technical call to ensure she got the two FTs.

Reactions: hawkandroll

She had to say something on the first one. All the players kind of reacted in shock. Stuelke, Kylie, and I think Gabbie all reacted at the same moment. It couldn’t have been just the little shove.

I will admit to seeing VERY LITTLE of the game, unfortunately, but what I did see it appeared the officials did a solid job. I'm very quick to notice and point out when they suck (which is usually), so I'll point out the good too. Again, I saw about four minutes of actual game play so a very small sample, so maybe they sucked overall.
I would agree, except they weren't calling the moving screens against Ohio State. Actually we got a pretty good crew yesterday. There are many referees in the Big Ten we could have had who either just let all physical play go or who have a grudge against Caitlin. Luckily we did not get any of either.

Reactions: Chuck C and amahawk
I wondered the same thing. The acts visually didn’t warrant techs imo but you don’t know if some magic words were used.
The ball slamming was actually worse than when Freeman got the T for slamming the ball down. Freeman was angy with himself. The OSU player - not so much.
I figure the first one offsets them waving off Hannah’s tip-in to end the first half. I still don’t see how that wasn’t good.
I believe it's a rule that .03 or less it has to be a tip and not a catch and shoot.

Reactions: Gus is dead
The ball slamming was actually worse than when Freeman got the T for slamming the ball down. Freeman was angy with himself. The OSU player - not so much.

I believe it's a rule that .03 or less it has to be a tip and not a catch and shoot.
I didn’t think the girl that slammed the ball down deserved a t. Usually if you catch it after you slam they will give you a pass. If anyone deserved a tech in that game it was CC. Again just my opinion.

• Wow
Reactions: redbirdhawk
I didn’t think the girl that slammed the ball down deserved a t. Usually if you catch it after you slam they will give you a pass. If anyone deserved a tech in that game it was CC. Again just my opinion.
That's not how they described the rule for Freeman. You slam the ball for any reason you get a T. No subjectivity. And I do agree CC needs to tone it down. Every time she goes to the basket she's complaining. Not every time is there a foul.

That's not how they described the rule for Freeman. You slam the ball for any reason you get a T. No subjectivity. And I do agree CC needs to tone it down. Every time she goes to the basket she's complaining. Not every time is there a foul.
How the rule is described and how it is applied are two different things. Officials usually let it slip if you slam the ball down and catch it. If you slam it and don’t catch the ball it’s almost always a tech. Not worth quibbling about just my observation.

How the rule is described and how it is applied are two different things. Officials usually let it slip if you slam the ball down and catch it. If you slam it and don’t catch the ball it’s almost always a tech. Not worth quibbling about just my observation.
But the fact that you are missing is intepretation or judgement is no longer part of the equation - once you slam the ball, for anger at yourself or the official, or for joy, it is a T. There is no usually they let it go allowed any more. For the simple reason it removes subjectivity which is probably a good thing.

Since it wasn't explained......at all......why the shot didn't count, I can only assume they went back to review it and determined from replay that she did not tip the ball quick enough, despite the replay showing she got the shot off in time in comparison to the clock and the red light on the board.

So basically, it is an assumption/judgment call based on how she caught the pass before she shot it because of the garbage .3 seconds rule.

Had Hannah made more of a "volleyball" tip shot, they would've, and should've, ruled it good, no questions asked. But because she did in fact catch and control before the shot, they're allowed to overrule what actually happened because of the rule.............

Allegedly. 🙃

• Wow
Reactions: redbirdhawk
But the fact that you are missing is intepretation or judgement is no longer part of the equation - once you slam the ball, for anger at yourself or the official, or for joy, it is a T. There is no usually they let it go allowed any more. For the simple reason it removes subjectivity which is probably a good thing.
Lol. I’m not missing anything sir. Judgement/interpretation are always part of the equation. If they weren’t, why wasn’t CC t’d up towards the end? Again, I’m not going to quibble about it, just basing my opinion on years and years of watching hoops. Sorry for coming off snarky. Not my intent.

Reactions: jasonrann
CC and CM slightly bumped while passing each other during dead ball. CM took exception and gave CC a slight shove and an official watching gave her a T. Harris was called for a foul on Hannah for hip checking her out of bounds when chasing after loose ball. Obvious call, but Harris didn't like it and hit the floor with the basketball in her hands and got a T.
Thank you for the explanation. I watched the game and had no idea who the T's were on.

d00a8142-064b-405f-9838-358b10f14295_text.gif

I think 50% of McMahon T was she was arguing with the refs ALOT earlier in the game on sidelines. It looked like she might get a T earlier for arguing on the sideline.
At that point, your margin for error is gone. Put that together with Jan lighting the refs up for back to back moving screen, and Cotie picked the wrong time to do minor bump. 90% of the time, that gets let go. However, dumb fouls at wrong/time place will get you T’d up everytime.

Lol. I’m not missing anything sir. Judgement/interpretation are always part of the equation. If they weren’t, why wasn’t CC t’d up towards the end? Again, I’m not going to quibble about it, just basing my opinion on years and years of watching hoops. Sorry for coming off snarky. Not my intent.
But you are missing something. Slamming the ball - for any reason - is now a technical. There is no judgement, there is no interpretation, there is no usually they let it go. That is what the announcers said when Freeman was called for that it, it is now the rule. I have no idea what you are referring to with CC. Did she slam the ball down before the game is over? If you are talking about her jawing with the officials or another player that is a completely different thing and yes, probably far more subjective on what is allowed.

I thought Gus & co. did a terrible job of actually talking about wth was happening during the game. In addition to the Ts, there were multiple "normal" fouls that weren't explained and never shown on replay.

Last edited:
Don't officials have to provide an explanation for calling a T?

I believe the T was for the hip check with no play on the ball (auto T) not the ‘slam’

I thoguht Gus & co. did a terrible job of actually talking about wth was happening during the game. In addition to the Ts, there were multiple "normal" fouls that weren't explained and never shown on replay.
Agreed…the announcers were weak on actually explaining game action, calls, etc.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT