ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Michigan under investigation for sign stealing

I wonder what the punishment for something like this is? Fines, suspensions, or can they even void wins?

Doesn’t every team do this? Also why does it seem like the ncaa has it out for the big 10. They never do anything to the sec who I have to assume is cheating all the time.
The ncaa for sure hates iowa, suspending players and denying 5th or 6th years of eligibility.
The ncaa needs to die already

"Sign stealing is not technically prohibited and has a long and colorful history as part of the game."

Uh, wut? Investigating something that's not technically illegal?

Is that anything like a 21 year old football player betting on some other sport?

:rolleyes:

Sounds like they may have had someone scouting their future opponents in person at games which you cant do.
I believe this 100% to be true.
Jim wasn’t cutting it at Michigan always losing to osu, struggling with msu and especially after 2020 where it looked like the entire team quit.
So what changed? Besides Urban leaving he could finally beat osu.
No doubt he was sending staff to steal signs. It was driving him nuts that he couldn’t beat osu and losing to teams he shouldn’t be losing to (Iowa ‘16).

195e84d8dacc58919fb9e6e6e5e95f890c554f3b_hq.jpg

636608573270172870-um7.png

Harbaugh is a convicted liar to NCAA, so cheating is no big leap for jimbo.
Noah sits for a nothing transgression while jumbo collects his 10 million as he cheats...effing NCAA!

Connor Stalions (the staffer in question) no longer has A twitter/instagram or LinkedIn page. A good scrubbing is always a sign that everything is completely normal.

• Haha
Reactions: hawkdave007
Interesting article in the athletic on upgrading to helmet radios for offense and defense. They found a company to work around the costs for smaller schools. And was tested already for a Grambling game. I wonder if Michigan raised objections in assumed B1G discussions.

Orgeron told the group that if the SEC went ahead with it, most other conferences would quickly follow. It’s similar to instant replay, which started in the Big Ten as an experiment in 2004. By 2005, nearly every FBS conference had implemented it, and it was codified in 2006.

Another concern among some SEC coaches wasn’t expressed publicly but has been suspected privately: Headsets would eliminate the ability to steal signals. The concept of stealing signals is an open secret in coaching, and some programs have elaborate operations. In a sport in which most rule changes benefit the offense, this could put the sides on the same level of an issue.

Told of that suspicion, David Shaw said it was comforting to hear someone admit that stealing signals exists. Bielema brought it up as well.

“There are certain places that put a premium on stealing signals, and that gets some people known as great play callers, but you can be a great play caller if you know what the other team is doing,” Shaw said. “For me, this is one of those balancing things. You might not be able to get all the information you want, now you have to call the game with some doubt and trust in your preparation and your players.”

Reactions: mthawkeyes
I believe this 100% to be true.
Jim wasn’t cutting it at Michigan always losing to osu, struggling with msu and especially after 2020 where it looked like the entire team quit.
So what changed? Besides Urban leaving he could finally beat osu.
No doubt he was sending staff to steal signs. It was driving him nuts that he couldn’t beat osu and losing to teams he shouldn’t be losing to (Iowa ‘16).
The irony is one thing that changed, in more recent times, is Michigan changed it's signals because we knew tOSU was stealing them. They actually hired two of our D staffers (DL and LB coaches) who not only had our playbook but used to help give our signals...before someone says it...yes it was on Michigan for not changing them sooner.

Harbaugh is a convicted liar to NCAA, so cheating is no big leap for jimbo.
Noah sits for a nothing transgression while jumbo collects his 10 million as he cheats...effing NCAA!
He was not convicted of lying...in fact the hearing hasn't even happened yet

"Sign stealing is not technically prohibited and has a long and colorful history as part of the game."

Uh, wut? Investigating something that's not technically illegal?

Is that anything like a 21 year old football player betting on some other sport?

:rolleyes:
Read more carefully. Sign stealing is ok. Scouting in person opponents is not legal.

Reactions: nick614 and pmtdc
Doesn’t every team do this? Also why does it seem like the ncaa has it out for the big 10. They never do anything to the sec who I have to assume is cheating all the time.
The ncaa for sure hates iowa, suspending players and denying 5th or 6th years of eligibility.
The ncaa needs to die already

The NCAA clearly is selective in what they pursue & what they spend their time on and it seems like they are spending a lot of time on Jim. Not that I care about Jim/Michigan, it's just an observation.

Meanwhile, Noah Shannon waits....

Here is an ESPN discussion on it. Finebaum sees Harbaugh eventually leaving college football

Watch:

Reactions: pmtdc and ellobo
Read more carefully. Sign stealing is ok. Scouting in person opponents is not legal.
This is correct...that is were it will get interesting. I will not be one of the guys that says no, never, witch-hunt, etc. and will wait for the facts to come out. But so far everything public is 100% speculation. In fact, from all reports Michigan's AD hasn't even been shown any proof.

The real interesting part is the staffer who is at the center of this in on the sidelines for games (trying to steal signs) plus he is highly involved in our on-campus recruiting. So it can't be him physically attending games. One article speculated that Michigan had a network of spies we send to those games...so I guess Michigan is the CIA now...no one seems to have any proof to this so far so it looks like we are even better than the CIA...

So you can watch as much film as you want...but you can't actually be at the game? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Nobody connected to the football program can attend another team's game? Never mind that somewhere between 50-100,000 other people are there.

This classic NCAA, picking at some nuance selectively while ignoring the important stuff.

Jim is still trying to describe olives in a jar. That if you turn the full jar over no olives come out, but if you pick just one out and then turn over the jar they all come out. What a crack pot.

So you can watch as much film as you want...but you can't actually be at the game? That makes sense. :rolleyes:

Nobody connected to the football program can attend another team's game?
The rule was changed in 1994 because of a cost cutting measure. The NCAA deemed it was a competitive advantage for larger programs because smaller ones couldn't afford to do so.

Something close to 60% of schools voted to overturn the rule but they needed a 2/3rds majority.

The irony is one thing that changed, in more recent times, is Michigan changed it's signals because we knew tOSU was stealing them. They actually hired two of our D staffers (DL and LB coaches) who not only had our playbook but used to help give our signals...before someone says it...yes it was on Michigan for not changing them sooner.
Hmmm. I don't remember OSU being investigated.

Per usual, Harbaugh is going to make it way worse by lying about.

You don't remember an investigation because stealing signs is not illegal. Please educate yourself.
I remember Bo letting his kid get raped by the team Doc and not doing anything about it.

Will Jim put himself in another timeout? He can figure out the olive jar thing then.

Iowa is still paying me to scout/steal signals so I don't think this will have much impact.

FFS. Nobody says its illegal.

You're the one bringing up OSU like they did the same thing, Dolt.
No...I brought up it because someone suggested Michigan started beating tOSU because Michigan started stealing signs. I brought up the fact that is exactly what had been said about tOSU when they hired two of Michigan's defensive coaches. It was ironic what the poster said.

Work on your reading comp kiddo

The rule was changed in 1994 because of a cost cutting measure. The NCAA deemed it was a competitive advantage for larger programs because smaller ones couldn't afford to do so.

Something close to 60% of schools voted to overturn the rule but they needed a 2/3rds majority.
100% correct.

Harbaugh does tend to work in the gray areas. He is the ultra competitor and looks for every advantage, no matter how small or seemingly insignificant.

That being said, and this is pure speculation, I think this low level staffer took it upon himself to blow past the NCAA rule on scouting. Read his history. An ultimate Michigan fan and former Marine officer who takes intelligence gathering very seriously. This dude, while commissioned, would fly from Camp Pendleton to Ann Arbor on his own dime to to fill a voluntary (non-paid) position on the UM football staff. Regularly. Then left the military and was put on staff in a paid position. So, if you know anything about the military and intelligence gathering, you know that they will use absolutely every tool and technology available to complete their directives/missions....which is where the problem lies.

Harbaugh, as head football coach, is responsible for the actions of his staff. The NCAA is clear about this. And with the current Level II recruiting violation under consideration, this potential infraction would elevate things to a Level I. He may well not have known about the techniques being used (don't ask, don't tell), but he's on the hook for it.

It's situations like this that reinforce the thought that the true Power 5 conferences need to break away from the NCAA relative to football programs. The 40% who voted against advanced in-person scouting in 1994 were the ones who didn't have the budgets to support it. Technology has advanced to the point where in-helmet communication systems are tried, true and proven (see NFL). Installing and maintaining this technology is not cheap, but becoming necessary within ultra-competitive football (see NFL). The NCAA tries too hard to serve the have nots, and so the haves need to make a decision, create their own commission structure including rules, bylaws and financial penalties and move to operate independently from an onerous and overly bureaucratic organization that is the NCAA.

Teams go to extraordinarily goofy lengths to hide their signaling. It's just silly. All because of the have nots. Let's end it and let the big boys play big boy football with all of the benefits that situation affords.

I'm an Iowa guy, but just see this situation as nonsensical and a signal to move on.

JMO

Reactions: ellobo
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT