ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pat Chambers out at PSU

unoHawkeye

HR Legend
Jul 30, 2015

This is a big blow to a rising PSU program imo. I know that they had the deal earlier this summer where he had supposedly referenced a noose to Nasir Bolton and there was speculation he might be fired... obviously that didn’t happen, but have to guess it had anything to do with his exit. What I wonder is why so close to the season? Maybe he wasn’t getting support from the team?

The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

“I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.”

_--------------------------

Is that really what cost him his job??
What a joke!

The day after the Wisconsin game, Chambers told Bolton he knew the freshman was under a lot of pressure and wanted to help him. Bolton recalls Chambers, who was on the hot seat due to the suspension and a 7-8 record at that point in the season, saying, “I want to be a stress reliever for you. You can talk to me about anything. I need to get some of this pressure off you.

“I want to loosen the noose that’s around your neck.”

_--------------------------

Is that really what cost him his job??
What a joke!
Seriously? That’s not worse then the Gary Dolphin stuff from a year ago.

Reactions: H4wkfan4life

Saw a comment on watkins on Btn.

How many times that dude been arrested while at pedd state? 6?
I think Watkins had some bipolar disorder. Managing his mood swings was something the Penn St just had to deal with unfortunately.

I wouldn't have fired Chambers, but I can kind of see firing him if I squint real hard at the problem. I saw players defend him after his big incidents. Ultimately, I don't think their athletic department cares about basketball. They're not going to fight for a bball coach if there's a little bit of controversy. They don't think it's worth it.

I think B1G fans overrated Chambers because they feel sorry for anyone in charge of Penn St/Rutgers/NW. That being said, he did a good job recruiting Philly and is coming off a good year.

I think Watkins had some bipolar disorder. Managing his mood swings was something the Penn St just had to deal with unfortunately.

I wouldn't have fired Chambers, but I can kind of see firing him if I squint real hard at the problem. I saw players defend him after his big incidents. Ultimately, I don't think their athletic department cares about basketball. They're not going to fight for a bball coach if there's a little bit of controversy. They don't think it's worth it.

I think B1G fans overrated Chambers because they feel sorry for anyone in charge of Penn St/Rutgers/NW. That being said, he did a good job recruiting Philly and is coming off a good year.
On tv they mentioned him pushing a player in the middle of a game...years ago.
Odd that this comment is considered worse than putting your hands in a player lol.

I underrate all that is pedd state fwiw :)

PSU has usually been a morgue to play at an recently it has been place Iowa loses. I don't think
Chambers is being overrated...he took a disaster and got them to usually mediocre or little better. Rutgers coach also has been very good to get a tire fire to pretty good

Reactions: dean_oliver222
PSU has usually been a morgue to play at an recently it has been place Iowa loses. I don't think
Chambers is being overrated...he took a disaster and got them to usually mediocre or little better. Rutgers coach also has been very good to get a tire fire to pretty good
I guess overrated is the wrong word. I just think people ignore issues with a coach’s scheme/development when they coach at a school with no expectations. You can put an actual good coach like Chris Beard at a basketball nobody and have things take off immediately.

I don’t think Pikiell is overrated, I just used his school as an example where people don’t expect much.

I recognize these words as English...but in this order they don’t make any sense.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
I don't pretend to know what Chambers has done, but this just smacks of the "cancel culture" era we are currently living in. One strike and you're out! Now if the AD did tell him to dump Watkins and he refused to do so, that would warrant disciplinary action, but if this firing is based on the "noose" comment, it's just sad. All that said, I liked Chambers and thought he was doing a pretty good job. He matched our record last season, and they beat us in that wild game at the Palestra although we paid them back in Carver.

I'm a HUGE believer in/proponent of waiting for all the facts, or understanding that as "outsiders" we don't know all the facts, but this type of crap just makes me want to vomit.
So is 'noose' a word we can't use anymore? Reasonably sure that in the course of history, more white folks have been hanged/hung/hunged/hangeded but is it now racist to use that word regardless? And IF Pat used it in the way mentioned above, that's a bad thing?
Can't this country realize that we've got WAY WAY more important and impactful things to worry about than someone saying something that might offend someone somewhere? Pretty sure Pat has done 100x more to help kids than hurt them, and I'm not saying I assume him to be above responsibility, but good God we're falling down a crap-hole that is changing this country, IMO not for the better.

Seriously? That’s not worse then the Gary Dolphin stuff from a year ago.
Maybe not, but Chambers like Fran holds a much more responsible position then Gary Dolphin. He has the lives of 15 young men in his hands, and Dolph is only accountable for himself. I'm not saying he should have been fired if that quote was the whole story, which it probably is not....

Pretty clear if this cancel culture shitshow is the new normal, you better hire a Coach that's mute, has no arms and is of course Black, I suppose Muslim and preferably gay. But then the perpetual victim class will come up with something else by then, of that I am certain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT