ADVERTISEMENT

Other old guys of HROT: Can you develop anxiety in your 50s?

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
I cant speak in front of people anymore. i did it regularly...in front of big groups...what the hell?

Try reading books by Dr. David Burns on anxiety.

Also, try meditating every day. You can use the free insight timer app or YouTube ocean and nature videos. Start with 5 minutes a day and work your way up. Use headphones. It will shrink your amygdala.

You're welcome.

In the 1970's women were taking Valium to conquer
their anxiety. It was a wonder drug which made them
relaxed and at rest with themselves.

Today, women are taking Xananx for their anxiety. It
seems as though men prefer booze to combat their worries.

Last edited:
Try reading books by Dr. David Burns on anxiety.

Also, try meditating every day. You can use the free insight timer app or YouTube ocean and nature videos. Start with 5 minutes a day and work your way up. Use headphones. It will shrink your amygdala.

You're welcome.

my what?

Reactions: Cougar63
In the 1970's women were taking Valium to conquer
their anxiety. It was a wonder drug which made them
relaxed and at rest with themselves.

Today, women are taking Xananx for their anxiety. It
seems as though men prefer booze to combat their worries.

I am a social drinker. Go months sometimes between drinks.

Reactions: BrianNole09
ehhhh...not a believer...I am going to doc next month though and I plan on bringing it up

Yes. Please don't go the self-help route or listen to advice from HROT posters. Except me. ;)

I might as well ruin my life right now and say that I have Severe and Chronic Scizotypal Personality Disorder, Severe Agoraphobia with Panic Attacks, and some other minor stuff including Social Anxiety and some sort of Depression.

I take Lorazepam as needed, which is as little as possible, I don't like drugs. And I take Prozac but I've never noticed anything odd about how it effects me.

So, can you get Anxiety in your fifties? Yes. But most likely it has just gotten worse, it does that sometimes. And one doesn't exactly have a yard stick to measure past experiences to SAY, "Dang, compared to others I have anxiety."

As to me, it has certainly gotten worse. I enjoy conversations on here, let's say, while I can. The worst part for me are delusional episodes brought on by sudden stress or fear. And next, I struggle to read faces and understand the tone of voices...which makes direct communication difficult and promotes a bit of paranoia especially as I get to know someone and the build up of misunderstanding grows. But this is from the Scizotypal Personality Disorder....nothing you need to worry about if you just have a bit of Social Anxiety going on.

USE medical professionals...careful with Psychologists, I find their services vary from good to downright horrid.

So, there....and @#$% all of you in advance for making uneducated assumptions about me.

He's had some tough last several years. We deal with stuff until we can't. Anxiety generally doesn't just come out of nowhere.

Do want you want, JR.
Yes. Please don't go the self-help route or listen to advice from HROT posters. Except me. ;)

I might as well ruin my life right now and say that I have Severe and Chronic Scizotypal Personality Disorder, Severe Agoraphobia with Panic Attacks, and some other minor stuff including Social Anxiety and some sort of Depression.

I take Lorazepam as needed, which is as little as possible, I don't like drugs. And I take Prozac but I've never noticed anything odd about how it effects me.

So, can you get Anxiety in your fifties? Yes. But most likely it has just gotten worse, it does that sometimes. And one doesn't exactly have a yard stick to measure past experiences to SAY, "Dang, compared to others I have anxiety."

As to me, it has certainly gotten worse. I enjoy conversations on here, let's say, while I can. The worst part for me are delusional episodes brought on by sudden stress or fear. And next, I struggle to read faces and understand the tone of voices...which makes direct communication difficult and promotes a bit of paranoia especially as I get to know someone and the build up of misunderstanding grows. But this is from the Scizotypal Personality Disorder....nothing you need to worry about if you just have a bit of Social Anxiety going on.

USE medical professionals...careful with Psychologists, I find their services vary from good to downright horrid.

So, there....and @#$% all of you in advance for making uneducated assumptions about me.

I wont judge Dan. Thats tough

There are some grammar issues, here. Drinking tonight, Wendy?

:)

The "some/last/several" was perhaps a bit much on the adjectives, but not grammatically incorrect. Unless there's something else you'd like to point out.

I like your posts on the bball board if that helps

yeah man....weird times for sure
Are you getting sex regularly? (Is this where you guys say "asking for a friend"?)

Seriously though, have your colleagues commented on your performance while speaking?

Last edited:
I cant speak in front of people anymore. i did it regularly...in front of big groups...what the hell?

Hang in there. Lots of things changing.

It still does not bother me to get up and speak in front of people but as I transition down the normal path of caring less about a lot of things, my wife and kids now get really nervous about me getting up to speak in front of people.

Things will work out. Changes are normal and you will get through. I do like your idea of mentioning it to your Dr. He knows you and should be able to give you sound advise.

Reactions: BrianNole09
No.
Are you getting sex regularly? (Is this where you guys say "asking for a friend"?)

Seriously though, have your colleagues commented on your performance while speaking?

No...so far I have held it together. I had a part of a presentation 2 weeks ago in front of 20 or so people. It was terrifying. Felt like I was gonna fall. Then had it happen on a date standing in line for popcorn a few days ago.

My plumbing is still functioning thankfully. Broke up with GF a few months back though so nothing regular now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT