ADVERTISEMENT

OTT Attendance

One thought is my scenerio. It’s got great coverage on TV and free. I was planned to go but the tickets were limited snd pricy. Also, if it was just freestyle, I think they’d capture more people. I was discouraged from going because I didn’t want to sit through Gro and women’s.
Maybe but it’s the Olympic team trials , somehow I don't think they care about attendance. And your reasons also apply to me combined with me picking the Big Tens this year and Philly next March.

Wrestling is a niche sport everywhere . Football , basketball , hockey , baseball , nascar will all garner a lot more viewers
From what I have seen, wrestling seems to be much more important in Iowa than it will ever be in Pennsylvania. I would be willing to bet that Drake Ayala has a higher degree of name recognition in Iowa than Spencer Lee has in PA and that will be true even if SL goes on to win a gold medal. Kurt Angle is only remembered for being in the WWF and virtually nobody knows who Kolat was/is anymore. Those names would be revered in Iowa. It's just not a part of the larger culture here.

Discouraged from watching women's matches that are usually more entertaining than the men's? Also discouraged from supporting the large amount of women's Hawkeye wrestlers competing?

Dude. Stfu.
Bro if you like women's wrestling that’s cool. Not everyone does. Cant force people to like it. Same with basketball.

Not delusional, but definitely being overly hopeful.

State College had poor attendance and poor fans. We also saw a lot psu vs psu finals. Hopefully some those lead to some tension as Iowa has experienced.

The fans don't wrestle the matches.

A lot of PSU vs PSU finals is evidence of cracks in the castle? Huh? PSU/NLWC have had insane depth for some time now. They keep the better wrestler and the worse one transfers out. Doesn't hurt them at all.

Reactions: el dub

State College had poor attendance and poor fans. We also saw a lot psu vs psu finals. Hopefully some those lead to some tension as Iowa has experienced.
What was the attendance? I was there and it did not look poor to me. I’m also interested in your definition of “poor fans”. We all know that there was one instance of booing, which may or may not have been warranted, depending upon your view of what happened during the match. We also had one fan out of the thousands, who attended that made a remark to Burroughs that was completely unjustified. Beyond that in the two days that I was there, I saw nothing but good sportsmanship and cheering for the wrestlers.

Reactions: 12tdsaw
What was the attendance? I was there and it did not look poor to me. I’m also interested in your definition of “poor fans”. We all know that there was one instance of booing, which may or may not have been warranted, depending upon your view of what happened during the match. We also had one fan out of the thousands, who attended that made a remark to Burroughs that was completely unjustified. Beyond that in the two days that I was there, I saw nothing but good sportsmanship and cheering for the wrestlers.
One fan.. right 😂

I didn’t say one fan booed, I said one instance.
One instance of what? PSU fans were chirping at JB from the time he walked off the mat to the time he got in the tunnel. Are you trying to say only one PSU fan said something inappropriate to JB and the rest were simply booing the 7x gold medalist?

I am sure JB turned around and confronted these guys simply because they booed him. That arena was filled with losers this weekend lol.

Edit - sorry, semi-filled :)

Also, where can I score one of the USA wrestling hats that Manning is wearing?

Screenshot-2024-04-22-at-10-16-35-AM.png

Bro if you like women's wrestling that’s cool. Not everyone does. Cant force people to like it. Same with basketball.
Bro if you don't like women's wrestling that's fine (stupid but fine). But don't get on here and bash it - especially after our women just won a national championship in their inaugural year AND considering we have more women on the national team than men.

Those optics are so bad you might as well be blind.

This is where I'm at too. PSU has for so long been 'happily ever after.' That doesn't mean nothing ever goes against them, but it seemed like there might actually be some weakness in the master plan.

Maybe that plus the Gilman interview all but saying he knows he has some regrets gave me some sort of hope that things could be turning in HV. I thought it was interesting when he said he's kept his mouth shut on some things and people in Iowa City have also kept their mouths shut.

Aside from Spencer, I'll take whatever else I can to keep me hopeful.....

Reactions: Twoooooooo
Maybe that plus the Gilman interview all but saying he knows he has some regrets gave me some sort of hope that things could be turning in HV. I thought it was interesting when he said he's kept his mouth shut on some things and people in Iowa City have also kept their mouths shut.

Aside from Spencer, I'll take whatever else I can to keep me hopeful.....

Wait what? Did I miss that interview? Link?

I'll post it.

But 1st you must promise that you will stop listening at the 5min 30 sec mark. If you don't heed this advice, will you agree to at least post your thoughts on that part of the interview in the
OTT session 3 religion thread?

I heard his religious preaching. If it's the same interview, I don't recall anything implying he has issues with NLWC.

I heard his religious preaching. If it's the same interview, I don't recall anything implying he has issues with NLWC.

Yeah, I didn't really hear anything in that regard either. Maybe the "outsider" line, but that's seems more of a Gilman view on life than any issue with the NLWC.

I remember an interview with him in the OK State wrestling room and he commented on how he didn't want to turn his back to the enemy because they will take you out, lol.

Yeah, I didn't really hear anything in that regard either. Maybe the "outsider" line, but that's seems more of a Gilman view on life than any issue with the NLWC.

I remember an interview with him in the OK State wrestling room and he commented on how he didn't want to turn his back to the enemy because they will take you out, lol.

this was peak gilman lol

Yeah, it's nothing. People in this thread are completely grasping at "cracks in the castle". Wishful thinking. Although Chael Sonnen alluded to serious beef between Nickal and DT, but you have to take everything Chael says with a grain of salt.

Reactions: Sullivan
Yeah, it's nothing. People in this thread are completely grasping at "cracks in the castle". Wishful thinking. Although Chael Sonnen alluded to serious beef between Nickal and DT, but you have to take everything Chael says with a grain of salt.
Almost all guys at that level have fairly big egos. Egos get bruised for various reasons. Doesn't mean they hate each other.

Bro if you don't like women's wrestling that's fine (stupid but fine). But don't get on here and bash it - especially after our women just won a national championship in their inaugural year AND considering we have more women on the national team than men.

Those optics are so bad you might as well be blind.
Why are you so butthurt? Is your daughter a wrestler? I wasn’t bashing it neither was the other guy you got mad at. Just saying a lot of people don’t watch it. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get all mad and say it’s stupid.

Why are you so butthurt? Is your daughter a wrestler? I wasn’t bashing it neither was the other guy you got mad at. Just saying a lot of people don’t watch it. Nothing wrong with that. No need to get all mad and say it’s stupid.
It's how he said it. He was discouraged from going because he didn't want to sit through women's wrestling.

It was a stupid thing to say. The field had several Hawkeyes wrestling on the women's side, if you don't want to support them fine, but you don't have to be a prick about it, especially on a Hawkeye wrestling forum.

People also didn't care about women's basketball until Caitlin Clark. Point is, give it a chance, you may like it.

Personally, I had a helluva lot more fun watching the women wrestle this year than the men. I like good wrestling, I don't care if it's a he or a she.

And I'm not mad - but a stupid comment deserves to be treated as such. So here I am.

It's how he said it. He was discouraged from going because he didn't want to sit through women's wrestling.

It was a stupid thing to say. The field had several Hawkeyes wrestling on the women's side, if you don't want to support them fine, but you don't have to be a prick about it, especially on a Hawkeye wrestling forum.

People also didn't care about women's basketball until Caitlin Clark. Point is, give it a chance, you may like it.

Personally, I had a helluva lot more fun watching the women wrestle this year than the men. I like good wrestling, I don't care if it's a he or a she.

And I'm not mad - but a stupid comment deserves to be treated as such. So here I am.
This was the first women’s FS tourney that I really enjoyed. The women have come a long way in 10 years. I saw that girls HS wrestling has grown 12x in the last 15 years. From 3000 to 36000.

From what I have seen, wrestling seems to be much more important in Iowa than it will ever be in Pennsylvania. I would be willing to bet that Drake Ayala has a higher degree of name recognition in Iowa than Spencer Lee has in PA and that will be true even if SL goes on to win a gold medal. Kurt Angle is only remembered for being in the WWF and virtually nobody knows who Kolat was/is anymore. Those names would be revered in Iowa. It's just not a part of the larger culture here.
Probably true as there are 7 professional teams in PA alone (another 15 or so in a 90 mile radius of PHL & PITT) to compete for attention, plus a lot more colleges in those same areas. Just many many more good sports options than there are in Iowa.

I say you’re right, but you could make the case that wrestling is more popular in Pennsylvania if you go by pure numbers. By per capita stats, I agree Iowa it’s more popular.

In PA, you have a whole Lotta people that aren’t necessarily Penn State Sense pro sports fence and it’s kind of like a sport from any people. They might be Steelers and football and hockey. They might be Phillies and Eagles. They might be Penn State football fans along with very sports teams.

It’s pretty diverse overall, and if I had a guess going by what I saw when I lived out in Iowa in the 80s, the Iowa Hawkeyes probably have more per capita support in general and Penn State. Penn State has Pittsburgh, which doesn’t seem to have much support, but the Notre Dame football team gets a lot of support.

So for Olympic sport wrestling, you’re gonna see some interesting things depending how you look at it.

Pennsylvania wrestling numbers have been on the decline now for a long time period. The female wrestling numbers have exploded and made it the fastest growing sport in the state . The numbers of wrestlers who reach the state tournament that DO NOT attend a wrestling training facility on non- school time is dropping to all-time low numbers as well. Most if not almost ALL of the state place winners are attending one or more outside training programs. Most high schools have a hard time fielding an entire lineup and the Junior Varsity teams of the past are almost non-existent. This is a national trend as well, it seems that non-traditional sports and video games are taking numbers away from wrestling and slowly hitting football programs as well.

• Sad
Reactions: OldestandGreatest
Pennsylvania wrestling numbers have been on the decline now for a long time period. The female wrestling numbers have exploded and made it the fastest growing sport in the state . The numbers of wrestlers who reach the state tournament that DO NOT attend a wrestling training facility on non- school time is dropping to all-time low numbers as well. Most if not almost ALL of the state place winners are attending one or more outside training programs. Most high schools have a hard time fielding an entire lineup and the Junior Varsity teams of the past are almost non-existent. This is a national trend as well, it seems that non-traditional sports and video games are taking numbers away from wrestling and slowly hitting football programs as well.
The university where I work has an esports club as does Pitt, Penn State, Penn and Temple. Slippery Rock even has a minor in esports management. If you Google the search "esports statistics", you won't believe the numbers.
The longer I live, the less I think I understand where it's all going.

Reactions: hlstone
I was at the OTT last weekend. Saturday was mostly full and Sunday seemed like almost all of the seats were filled. By comparison, maybe I’m wrong but it always seems like attendance is much lower on every international tournament I see online.

Also- I have been to multiple NCAA tournaments and I found them to be more fun and entertaining. Glad I went but I was expecting insane matches all day long but there were long stretches of time where it just didn’t hold my attention like NCAAs do.

My thoughts on the Trials:
Messenbrink, instead of turning and going back to the center of the mat, decided to , Later, the whistle blew for out of bounds and Messenbrink was on the mat with the John Smith low single position, with JB standing upright, and relaxed b/c the whistle had blown. Messenbrink with his head USA wrestling thought attendance wold be really good b/c of the number of Nittany Lion wrestlers, and that is why they had it there. PSU did a great job with the tournament regarding facilities, and resources for competitions and coaches. The overall running of it for the fans was good too. Getting in/out of State college is a bitch.. it actually sucks, very small town really isolated. but, once there , it is very nice....

I lost some respect for PSU fans though. Messenbrink was getting out of line during the Burroughs match and it reached a breaking point. With about 1 minute remaining in the first period, Burroughs was in on a shot and Messenbrink went out of bounds for the step out point for Burroughs. JB had his laces on the mat, and was upright, but on his knees sitting on his heels. Messenbrink, instead of turning and going back to the center of the mat, decided to move toward burroughs and use him over backwards... The ref immediately gave Messenbrink an "attention" for the act.

With less than :10 seconds left in the match, Messenbrink is down 8-1, and is shooting near the edge of the mat, and Burroughs steps out of bounds and the whistle blows and Messenbrink is awarded a point. However, Messenbrink keeps pursuing JB's legs, three more moments forward and reaching, grabbing for a double, and then puts himself into the John Smith low single position.. and he won't stop. Burroughs then shoves Messenbrinks' head down and the crowd starts booing and does not stop until Burroughs leaves the arena floor. However, after the match when they are passing each other after shaking opposing coaches hand, Burroughs puts his arm around Messenbrink, and you could tell by the body language of Burroughs he was attempting to smooth things over... Messenbrink gave him the peak out elbow, arm swat, and kept walking... PSU fans boo JB more. PSU fans then booed Burroughs when he came out to wrestle Nolf. I wonder how the PSU fans could not see what was going on and culminating during the match? They might be the dumbest fan base of any NCAA championship program.
I was impartial, but Messenbrink, but he showed no respect after that match to a man who certainly deserves and has earned some.

Lastly, for future reference for some of you, the bout order early in the day was not random. They typically start wrestling with the weight classes that have the most competitors rather than just starting at the lowest weight, or a style, and working their way through.. Same process at Fargo. Some weight classes will have more competitors, so they begin the tournament with those larger brackets. That way, eventually, all of the brackets are in the same spot, such as entering the quarters etc. at the same time with the same number of competitors still alive.

If you have a subscription to any of the larger tv provider you could have streamed all four mats at NBC.com. I have FIOS, so it was no additional cost.
Thanks, but I don’t subscribe to any TV provider, just a couple of streaming services.

Lifelong resident of PA here. Wrestling is very much a niche sport in this state. To the degree that there is interest, it is mostly at the high school level. When I was a student at the school whose name is not spoken here back in the 80s, the teams were good but not great and there was very little excitement for them. Almost no PA residents have any knowledge of who the stars of the sport are and it does not surprise me at all that attendance at the OTT would be far lower than it would be in a place where wrestling really is a part of the culture such as Iowa.
You must be from a large city if they are your thoughts. Not saying they are a large percentage of people into wrestling but ,its not hard finding wrestling people to talk to when you stop at a club for a few drinks.

I was at the OTT last weekend. Saturday was mostly full and Sunday seemed like almost all of the seats were filled. By comparison, maybe I’m wrong but it always seems like attendance is much lower on every international tournament I see online.

Also- I have been to multiple NCAA tournaments and I found them to be more fun and entertaining. Glad I went but I was expecting insane matches all day long but there were long stretches of time where it just didn’t hold my attention like NCAAs do.

Interesting since it was held on Friday and Saturday

To be fair, he is hazeydave, not cleardave.

I am not really super proud about attendance here in Iowa City vs other places. It does nothing for me. Only more time getting out of the horrendous parking lot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT