ADVERTISEMENT

Over $100,000 raised TODAY for SWARM

Dont know, dont care.
She can chase bags somewhere else, like she did with Bama.

I dont want the kid to settle for playing at Iowa. Amazing how many fans want him after her did the hawkeyes dirty
I don't think we know what happened behind the scenes. I was disappointed when he de-committed, but that is also why I rarely get excited about a kid until he actually signs. Then again, that doesn't mean that athlete will stay. I can't blame a kid for being excited about being courted by a dynasty of a program where he would get the opportunity to play in HUGE games and for a national championship. Whether he worded it correctly or not, I also understand an athlete who wants to challenge himself and go to a program that forces him to get better. That is a big reason Iowa wrestling has brought in many transfers over the years as the competition in the room gets them better.

Count me in as a person who would welcome him with open arms. I think he would come in as a leader and would embrace the challenges he would face against the defensive guys on our team every day. I think he would grow from that, also, if he has that attitude. I also think he would push our OL to improve.

I don't think we know what happened behind the scenes. I was disappointed when he de-committed, but that is also why I rarely get excited about a kid until he actually signs. Then again, that doesn't mean that athlete will stay. I can't blame a kid for being excited about being courted by a dynasty of a program where he would get the opportunity to play in HUGE games and for a national championship. Whether he worded it correctly or not, I also understand an athlete who wants to challenge himself and go to a program that forces him to get better. That is a big reason Iowa wrestling has brought in many transfers over the years as the competition in the room gets them better.

Count me in as a person who would welcome him with open arms. I think he would come in as a leader and would embrace the challenges he would face against the defensive guys on our team every day. I think he would grow from that, also, if he has that attitude. I also think he would push our OL to improve.
Dude said he felt like he would be settling if he went to Iowa.

Just because he has buyers remorse for going to Bama, doesnt mean we should welcome him back with open arms based on the timing of him going to Bama went down.

Proctor can pound sand

Dude said he felt like he would be settling if he went to Iowa.

Just because he has buyers remorse for going to Bama, doesnt mean we should welcome him back with open arms based on the timing of him going to Bama went down.

Proctor can pound sand

He also talked about wanting to challenge himself on what is annually regarded as the best team in the country. Look at our OL and the punchlines of our offense! You don't think recruits are influenced by that? Do you think Barnett has shown in his time here to develop OL? Barnett could be very good, but that hasn't shown. In addition, do you think as pompous as BF is, he is a guy you want to play for?

Reactions: obfuscating
He also talked about wanting to challenge himself on what is annually regarded as the best team in the country. Look at our OL and the punchlines of our offense! You don't think recruits are influenced by that? Do you think Barnett has shown in his time here to develop OL? Barnett could be very good, but that hasn't shown. In addition, do you think as pompous as BF is, he is a guy you want to play for?
Dont care.
his timing of decommiting and signing to bama sucked.
His whole thing that it wasnt about the money was bullshit
He didnt didnt want to settle by picking iowa

I dont want iowa to settle by picking someone that burned them a year ago. His mom can get the bags elsewhere.

Him and his buyers remorse can fvck off.

Dont care.

I dont want iowa to settle by picking someone that burned them a year ago. His mom can get the bags elsewhere.

LOL.......Ok

Reactions: DogBoyRy
Dont care.

We disagree….but I love your avatar

Agreed, at least what NIL has morphed into anyway.

As noted above, giving a kid his share of Name, Image, Likeness is fine.

Paying a recruit $5000 just to come visit campus, then set up a payment plan of $50,000+ per semester in order to get him to sign on is garbage. It’s not what NIL was intended for. It’s play for pay and it stinks.

If the big $$ donors want to kick in for that nonsense , let’em. The rest of us can keep our $20.
this exactly. I have NO problem with kids cashing checks for the jerseys sold with their numbers on it…or Caitlyn Clark making millions in ads for State Farm and HyVee and Nike. Or monetizing their social media accounts.

THAT was what NIL was supposed to be/is. This other stuff is pure pay for play….and it’s killing college sports.

Your seats, merch, and concession buying does not put good players on the field. If you truly want a great team forget about buying season tickets and paying those outrageous prices at the stadium and give half that money to SWARM and put the other half in your bank account.

You'll soon see a better product on field from the comfort of your sofa.
I'll keep giving to the children's hospital, st. jude, wounded warrior, and feel good about where the money goes. Those kids and vets need it FAR more than football players.

It would be interesting to know how much the big boosters are giving to Swarm. How about the former players that signed huge NFL contracts? Last I heard there wasn’t many, if any. Instead of getting on fans that refuse to join Swarm maybe take your frustration out on those boosters and players that can easily give a few thousand dollars. Give Keegan or Wirfs a call.

Can we please stop using "NIL" in this discussion ...that's not what we're talking about.

Use "PFP" instead.

Personally, if it's going to take significant PFP $$ investment in order to earn one of those T12 spots, then we best get use to disappointment. Iowa and it's donor/fanbase are not going to get us over the hump. Look at the schools/programs ...(their donors and fanbase and not what their fball program generates financially, since that $$ can't go towards PFP)... we are competing against to pay these top players.

Do you really think anything is going to change at the top of the pecking order in CFB??

The schools who have always skirted the rules and 'played the game' when it comes to securing top talent can now do it openly and without restriction.

Best get use to Iowa being 6-6/7-5 and on the outside looking in 99% of the time. Probably get lucky and have lightning strike once every 15 years and make the CFP. That's where Iowa sits in the pecking order, we're a solid program historically...not a blueblood that competes for conference and national titles on the regular.

Sorry if that comes as a shock to some of you. Santa Clause is also a lie.
Omg did you do the research on what each school is bringing in for nil ?

I'll keep giving to the children's hospital, st. jude, wounded warrior, and feel good about where the money goes. Those kids and vets need it FAR more than football players.
I give to the Children’s hospital ,animal shelter too ! I also give to the swarm!
It’s your choice!
It sure does feel good to take the family too Kinnick on Saturdays and see a winning product! PS my kids donate 2 days a week to the animal shelter! So I guess I can do more than one ;)

Reactions: RicoSuave102954
Too many people are making completely different arguments/discussions, from the legitimacy of the NIL, athletic depts still raking/not contributing, and what it means to be a fan.

The problem with arguing that you won't contribute because this "wasn't what NIL was intended for" is that you are standing for a principle rather than accepting reality. A kid/teacher can sat they don't believe in standardized tests but reality is that scholarships and college admissions look at those scores much the same way you can disagree with NIL as it is now that will have zero effect on changing the system.

The same is for athletic depts. They aren't going to change because you think they should contribute more to NIL. If they do, it will work similar to taxes where season ticket/seat fees will increase to make up the difference.

Not contributing does not delegitimize your fandom of IA. However, if you see Iowa miss on a Kadyn Proctor because he got $200,000 more at another school, you are being an asinine hypocrite. You can still hate losses, love wins, cry or cheer, but the only 2 things that matter are the quality of coaching and the quality of players. Unless you have a local kid who grew up a fan, it costs money for the quality players.

You can hate the system but your principles for not donating will never change the system or improve the quality of players. If your like one poster who says I'll go watch another team, that says enough about your actual support/fandom of IA to pick up and leave because people encourage others to donate.

No.

IOWA CITY, Iowa — When it came to profiting off his name, image or likeness (NIL), Iowa punter Tory Taylor figuratively had the ball taken off his foot this summer.

As an international student, the Australian-born Taylor is restricted from profiting from his name, image and likeness. Without any incentive, the 24-year-old sophomore ignored any ensuing overtures that allowed his teammates to capitalize financially from their marketability.

“Honestly, it didn’t really bother me because I think it’s kind of a bit of a distraction,” Taylor said. “It was just something I didn’t really think about. A few people obviously reached out to offer me a few things, but it just didn’t really interest me because I feel like I could make the money eventually.”

But one of the conversations that piqued Taylor’s interest was with Raygun T-shirt mogul Mike Draper. When the NIL rule became fully implemented, Des Moines-based Raygun immediately signed Iowa State quarterback Brock Purdy and running back Breece Hall. With Iowa’s reputation for punting and Taylor’s engaging personality, Draper thought there was a natural connection with his iconic T-shirt designs.

“There was just something about Tory Taylor, personally, and the ‘Punting is Winning,’ kind of joke on Twitter, that we thought like, ‘This guy, as crazy as it sounds, the punter from Iowa, is going to be like the big NIL star,’” Draper said. “You’ve got to realize nobody’s going to become a millionaire off of one or two T-shirts. I’ve tried it with several thousand T-shirts, and it still hasn’t worked.”

There were plenty of worthwhile causes of which Taylor could attach his name, and Draper had a few ideas. After a few days, Taylor changed his mind and dealt with UI compliance officials to ensure he could lend his NIL for charity. Many of his teammates donate a portion of their NIL proceeds to the UI Children’s Hospital, including center Tyler Linderbaum, who gave every penny of his $30,000 earnings to the hospital. Taylor called Draper and approved of a T-shirt design but preferred to find a small, specific organization to bring awareness.

Draper provided the perfect match for Taylor. Count the Kicks is a non-profit group formed in 2008 by five women in central Iowa who lost their daughters in the early 2000s to stillbirth or infant death. Among their goals is to encourage expectant mothers to have daily kick counting sessions during the third trimester of pregnancy. When the amount of time to get to 10 movements changes, it could signal potential issues. While the national figures on stillbirth remain stagnant, according to the organization, Iowa’s numbers have fallen by 32 percent since the group’s formation.

“He kind of suggested the Count the Kicks organization,” Taylor said. “It’s kind of ironic. I love the name.

“I thought, ‘Well, if we can sell a few T-shirts and donate a couple hundred bucks, then that’d be great. But it’s kind of taken off ever since.”

Taylor’s “Punting is Winning” T-shirt easily has become the most popular among Iowa fans. All three of LeVar Woods’ children have a version of it, and the special teams coordinator wasn’t sure if a fan made them or if they came from a store. Taylor’s portion of the total has exceeded $11,000 and continues to rise daily. Monday, Taylor donated a ceremonial check for that entire amount.

“We love that kicking connection that Count the Kicks brings and ‘Punting is Winning’ shirts,” said Kate Safris, one of five women who formed Count the Kicks. “Someone told me recently that they think there’s kind of a connection here, because we hope that moms don’t need to use Count the Kicks, right? We hope that they’re counting those kicks, and they don’t have to go to their doctors and tell them there’s an issue. But if there is, they’re going to be happy they had us.

“We kind of feel the way with punting, right? We hope we don’t have to punt; we’d like to go down the field and score every time. But if we have to punt, we want Tory Taylor.”

There’s a real-life value to Taylor’s message. Alyssa Shelby, an Iowa graduate, has worked as a nurse at UI Hospitals and Clinics’ mother-baby labor and delivery unit for eight years. Part of her responsibilities is to educate pregnant women about the importance of paying attention to their baby’s movements.

Shelby was 31 weeks pregnant in early August when she noticed her son was less active in her womb. With her knowledge base, Shelby opted for a hospital visit. Rather than wait, Shelby delivered son Liam that night via Caesarean birth. Liam spent about a month in the neonatal intensive care unit at UI Children’s Hospital, and the family saw The Wave from the 12th floor.

“It’s really emotional even watching the fans do it,” Shelby said. “But to actually be on the other side of that window, knowing Liam’s a baby so he didn’t know what’s going on, but when he’s older to be able to explain to him how awesome that was. The hospital actually made them fake little tickets to the football game that day. It was very emotional.”

Tory Taylor with Liam. (Scott Dochterman / The Athletic)
On a display entering the Iowa City Raygun store, which is located just two blocks east from the Old Capitol’s iconic golden dome, are T-shirts featuring several Iowa players, including receiver Charlie Jones, quarterback Spencer Petras and now former running back Tyler Goodson. There’s even one that reads “Thanks Minnesota” in appreciation for the Gophers’ upset of Wisconsin to send Iowa to the Big Ten championship game.

But “Punting is Winning” has its own Christmas ornaments to go along with the shirts. It also has its own life-saving story.

“I’ve always thought the neat thing about the store is having this connection to a community,” Draper said. “If you’re Tory, you’ve got this kind of permanent connection to Iowa City, no matter what happens. Yeah, I mean, it’s wild thinking that there will be at least one baby whose parents are eternally connected to a punter from Iowa. There’s not a lot of people who can say that for any position.”

Okay, so all the TA's I had in school that were from Asia never got paid for doing their work?

Okay, so all the TA's I had in school that were from Asia never got paid for doing their work?
Not sure if you are serious or stupid. Were they being paid for being athletes, or paid for doing a job? Because international students can't receive NIL money. So if Tory wanted to teach a class, he could probably get paid, but if he wanted to sell shirts that say Punting is Winning with his picture on it, he can't keep the money.

International students still restricted from NIL deals​

Story by Bianca Hillier • 1d

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) made history in 2021 when it allowed college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness — otherwise known as NIL deals. Overnight, students could make money from things like autograph signings, endorsements and personal appearances. The market exploded, bringing in an estimated $1 billion annually, according to NIL company Opendorse. But one subset of college athletes aren’t allowed to cash in: international students.

Most international student athletes come to the US on an F-1 visa, which strictly limits a person’s ability to work and make money while in the US. David Weber, a law professor at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, said NIL deals count as labor.

“Therefore, if they engage in that activity while they’re in the US, they would violate the terms of their student visa, and they would open themselves up for deportation,” Weber said.

This outcome likely wasn’t intentional, he added, because F-1 visas were created long before NIL deals were possible for student athletes. Still, the effects are clear: Tens of thousands of international student athletes have lost out on an estimated $13 million in NIL deals.

Amy Maldonado and Ksenia Maiorova are immigration lawyers in Michigan and Florida. Last year, they teamed up to publish “NIL X Immigration,” a guide to how international student athletes can navigate NIL deals.

One option is helping students engage in NIL deals while they’re off US soil, which Maiorova said is OK from a US Immigration Services perspective.
“They’re not concerned with where the payment is rendered, what currency the payment is rendered in or whether the payment is rendered at all,” Maiorova said. “They’re concerned with, ‘Is the person [physically] working in the US?’”

Another strategy is switching international students from an F-1 to a P-1 visa, an O-1 visa or even a green card. But, different visas have different requirements and could cost athletes thousands of dollars to obtain.

Maldonado said no matter which path someone decides to explore, it’s imperative to be cautious when dealing with visas.

“You can’t just let people make stuff up,” she said. “Because you’re talking about your future ability to access travel to the US — potentially forever — [being] on the line.”

A number of bills across the US have been introduced with hopes of amending the law to allow international student athletes on F-1 visas to engage in NIL deals. But progress has been slow.

The Department of Homeland Security did not reply to The World’s request for comment, nor did the NCAA. But a spokesperson for the association told ESPN it wants “all of its athletes to have NIL opportunities and has made that clear to members of Congress.”

I'll remember that come football season.
edca361f-f0c6-49a1-876e-f37491f89f0b_text.gif

Not sure if you are serious or stupid. Were they being paid for being athletes, or paid for doing a job? Because international students can't receive NIL money. So if Tory wanted to teach a class, he could probably get paid, but if he wanted to sell shirts that say Punting is Winning with his picture on it, he can't keep the money.

International students still restricted from NIL deals​

Story by Bianca Hillier • 1d

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) made history in 2021 when it allowed college athletes to profit from their name, image and likeness — otherwise known as NIL deals. Overnight, students could make money from things like autograph signings, endorsements and personal appearances. The market exploded, bringing in an estimated $1 billion annually, according to NIL company Opendorse. But one subset of college athletes aren’t allowed to cash in: international students.

Most international student athletes come to the US on an F-1 visa, which strictly limits a person’s ability to work and make money while in the US. David Weber, a law professor at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, said NIL deals count as labor.

“Therefore, if they engage in that activity while they’re in the US, they would violate the terms of their student visa, and they would open themselves up for deportation,” Weber said.

This outcome likely wasn’t intentional, he added, because F-1 visas were created long before NIL deals were possible for student athletes. Still, the effects are clear: Tens of thousands of international student athletes have lost out on an estimated $13 million in NIL deals.

Amy Maldonado and Ksenia Maiorova are immigration lawyers in Michigan and Florida. Last year, they teamed up to publish “NIL X Immigration,” a guide to how international student athletes can navigate NIL deals.

One option is helping students engage in NIL deals while they’re off US soil, which Maiorova said is OK from a US Immigration Services perspective.
“They’re not concerned with where the payment is rendered, what currency the payment is rendered in or whether the payment is rendered at all,” Maiorova said. “They’re concerned with, ‘Is the person [physically] working in the US?’”

Another strategy is switching international students from an F-1 to a P-1 visa, an O-1 visa or even a green card. But, different visas have different requirements and could cost athletes thousands of dollars to obtain.

Maldonado said no matter which path someone decides to explore, it’s imperative to be cautious when dealing with visas.

“You can’t just let people make stuff up,” she said. “Because you’re talking about your future ability to access travel to the US — potentially forever — [being] on the line.”

A number of bills across the US have been introduced with hopes of amending the law to allow international student athletes on F-1 visas to engage in NIL deals. But progress has been slow.

The Department of Homeland Security did not reply to The World’s request for comment, nor did the NCAA. But a spokesperson for the association told ESPN it wants “all of its athletes to have NIL opportunities and has made that clear to members of Congress.”

So an athlete can't work at McDonalds and get paid?

Did you miss my last post you ****in tard?
Oh, the post about you donating to the university? Neat - you'd rather give your money to the admin and coaches than the players on the field.

Again - who would make a shitty comment about the work the NIL is doing without contributing a cent? You're a f'n idiot.

Reactions: pistachio1999
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT