ADVERTISEMENT

Padilla Hype Train

Padilla seems more decisive and has a quicker release. He can move better in and out if the pocket. Not a large enough sample size but the biggest advantage he brings is that he does not lock on to one receiver. That has been my biggest problem with Petras.

As for Padilla, the reality is he wasn't good enough to beat out Petras the past two seasons. so while I'm all for him getting a shot now, I'm pumping the breaks on the over-the-top exuberance of him after playing less than one full game against a very bad opponent and we scored just 17 points.
Come on. You're better than this. He didn't beat out Petras for what reason? Because he wasn't good enough or because our HC doesn't know how to evaluate QBs? The evidence at this point strongly suggests the latter. If Padilla turns out to be just an average P5 QB, we still have made a huge jump.

Come on. You're better than this. He didn't beat out Petras for what reason? Because he wasn't good enough or because our HC doesn't know how to evaluate QBs? The evidence at this point strongly suggests the latter. If Padilla turns out to be just an average P5 QB, we still have made a huge jump.
I have followed the game long enough, have been able through the years to speak with college football coaches, to understand typically coaches do go with the guy they have most confidence in-- especially if that guy has been the starter for nearly two seasons.

Many want to think Padilla is now going to be the savior- hell I do too. But I'm also going into this level headed. Padilla has meaningful minutes at the Power 5 level for less than one full game now-- and that was against a bad team; so not much of a sample size. Let's see how things play out.

I have been as critical of KF here through the years as anyone so it's also not me just siding with his decision these past two years. I'm trying to bring some logic to the past two seasons at the QB position and I'm willing to give Kirk and staff the benefit of the doubt on who has been trotted out at QB. You seriously think Padilla has clearly outperformed Petras in practice the past two seasons but that was just ignored? C'mon you're smarter than that.

Now if we see Padilla shines big-time and this offense really begins to crank under him, then as fans we should all be pissed and concerned at how bad the Iowa coaches missed the mark on this (BF, KF, O'Keefe) and begin to wonder how many other players might be not getting their opportunity from being big factors.

And again, I am all for giving Padilla a shot because our offense is bad and I do think besides the OL our QB play has been a big reason for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: haightt
Can see shades of the “Kyle Mccan was starting over Brad Banks and JC over Ricky Stanzi” situation. I don’t doubt those guys earned their spots in practice, they had to show something. But I also think a large issue is the demand our offense puts on the QB. Why can’t Brian do his job and call audibles? We are the only team In the B1G that makes our QBs do that. Either way our play calling isn’t dynamic and we don’t often allow our QBs to seemingly let it rip or play loose. It’s just the same crap over and over and over, I’m hoping at this point with how stagnant it’s been, Padilla has a fresh enough arm, and this rejuvenates some of the team, and Brian can call a half way competent game for the next 3 weeks to help us win out.

that’s asking a lot though.

Reactions: frydaze
I have followed the game long enough, have been able through the years to speak with college football coaches, to be smart enough to know typically coaches do go with the guy they have most confidence in-- especially if that guy has been the starter for nearly two seasons.

Everyone wants to think Padilla is now going to be the savior- hell I do too. But I'm also going into this level headed. Padilla has meaningful minutes at the Power 5 level for less than one full game now-- and that was against a bad team; so not much of a sample size. Let's see how things play out. You're better than thinking you just believe Padilla is a future HOF-- rather it's a new fresh face behind center and that's what brings the excitement.

I have been as critical of KF here through the years as anyone so it's also not me just siding with his decision this past two years. But here I'm trying to bring some logic to the past two seasons at the QB position and I'm willing to give Kirk and staff the benefit of the doubt on who has been trotted out at QB. You think that's unfair?

Now if we see Padilla shines big-time and this offense really begins to crank under him, then as fans we should all be concerned at how bad the Iowa coaches missed the mark on this (BF, KF, O'Keefe) and begin to wonder how many other players might be not getting their opportunity from being big factors.

And again, I am all for
Can see shades of the “Kyle Mccan was starting over Brad Banks and JC over Ricky Stanzi” situation. I don’t doubt those guys earned their spots in practice, they had to show something. But I also think a large issue is the demand our offense puts on the QB. Why can’t Brian do his job and call audibles? We are the only team In the B1G that makes our QBs do that. Either way our play calling isn’t dynamic and we don’t often allow our QBs to seemingly let it rip or play loose. It’s just the same crap over and over and over, I’m hoping at this point with how stagnant it’s been, Padilla has a fresh enough arm, and this rejuvenates some of the team, and Brian can call a half way competent game for the next 3 weeks to help us win out.

For all the reasons you've stated here I think we all watch to see how this all plays out. Understand, Padilla will be capped with the same offensive scheme that Petras was. We will likely find out soon enough if this was a case where the staff completely missed on who the QB out there should have been all along. If we do discover this, that would be a total shame for many reasons and many people.

I have followed the game long enough, have been able through the years to speak with college football coaches, to understand typically coaches do go with the guy they have most confidence in-- especially if that guy has been the starter for nearly two seasons.

Many want to think Padilla is now going to be the savior- hell I do too. But I'm also going into this level headed. Padilla has meaningful minutes at the Power 5 level for less than one full game now-- and that was against a bad team; so not much of a sample size. Let's see how things play out.

I have been as critical of KF here through the years as anyone so it's also not me just siding with his decision these past two years. I'm trying to bring some logic to the past two seasons at the QB position and I'm willing to give Kirk and staff the benefit of the doubt on who has been trotted out at QB. You seriously think Padilla has clearly outperformed Petras in practice the past two seasons but that was just ignored? C'mon you're smarter than that.

Now if we see Padilla shines big-time and this offense really begins to crank under him, then as fans we should all be concerned at how bad the Iowa coaches missed the mark on this (BF, KF, O'Keefe) and begin to wonder how many other players might be not getting their opportunity from being big factors.

And again, I am all for giving Padilla a shot because our offense is bad and I do think besides the OL our QB play has been a big reason for it.
Yeah we are going to see over the next few weeks. And that is good.

I will say, in terms of "why was one guy playing over the other," that in the limited appearances where we saw both Petras and Padilla in the spring and fall open practices, it wasn't even close. Petras was way better, Padilla was throwing the ball to the defense a lot. If that was happening in the other practices too that we don't get to see, one can understand why the coaches were sticking with Petras as the starter.

Perhaps it has started to click for Padilla in recent weeks. Or perhaps he was just playing against a bad defense in Northwestern. We get to see it play out here over the next few weeks. But from the time he entered the game, the Iowa offense looked competent. Which it had not been for the games against Purdue, Wisconsin and the first quarter of the Northwestern game. Really, that's what we are looking for in this Iowa offense - competent. Be good enough to make the defense pay when they sell out to stop the run. Get the offense into plays that have a chance to succeed in the run game. When facing 3rd and medium or more, at least give yourself a chance by protecting and throwing the ball to the guy with the best chance to make a play.

Minnesota has a pretty good defense. I am interested to see what happens when Padilla is the guy from the get-go.

Yeah we are going to see over the next few weeks. And that is good.

I will say, in terms of "why was one guy playing over the other," that in the limited appearances where we saw both Petras and Padilla in the spring and fall open practices, it wasn't even close. Petras was way better, Padilla was throwing the ball to the defense a lot. If that was happening in the other practices too that we don't get to see, one can understand why the coaches were sticking with Petras as the starter.

Perhaps it has started to click for Padilla in recent weeks. Or perhaps he was just playing against a bad defense in Northwestern. We get to see it play out here over the next few weeks. But from the time he entered the game, the Iowa offense looked competent. Which it had not been for the games against Purdue, Wisconsin and the first quarter of the Northwestern game. Really, that's what we are looking for in this Iowa offense - competent. Be good enough to make the defense pay when they sell out to stop the run. Get the offense into plays that have a chance to succeed in the run game. When facing 3rd and medium or more, at least give yourself a chance by protecting and throwing the ball to the guy with the best chance to make a play.

Minnesota has a pretty good defense. I am interested to see what happens when Padilla is the guy from the get-go.
Good recap here. Great logical thoughts -- especially your second paragraph.

Minnesota is still playing for the B1G West title and is in control of their own destiny as Wisconsin is. That will be a test for Padilla. Illinois under Bielema has been showing a tough defense in recent weeks in their two road wins (PSU, MN). Likely a tough test. Then the final game, at Nebraska, will be in front of a huge hostile crowd (nothing like he faced at NW) so that will be a test. Yes, we WILL learn a lot about Padilla in these final three games.

What I saw from Padilla that Petras hasn't shown is the confidence to make a throw within a window barely open and the feet constantly moving wether standing in the pocket or looking to extend the play. I also don't think we can say he's a savior based on putting up 17 points against the worst defense in the big 10. Missed that easy screen pass along with a few others. This team isn't making the playoffs and needs a miracle to win the west. Let's just hope he gains some confidence and we see a true competition for next year and we'll see if Father and Son truly will look to innovate and change the same out of date offense kirk has attempted to run for 20 years.

Basically I agree but he put 17 on the board in a half. He was handcuffed by play calling for the whole second half.

I too hope there's competition at qb but something has to change on the oline. We also need a rb that doesn't stop running behind the los.

Reactions: HAWKSRK

In a pro style offense that Iowa has ran for 2 decades, is it a college OCs job to audible for the player? Or is it their job to coach them on how to read defenses to gain the experience needed to successfully audible out on their own?

In a pro style offense that Iowa has ran for 2 decades, is it a college OCs job to audible for the player? Or is it their job to coach them on how to read defenses to gain the experience needed to successfully audible out on their own?
Just because Iowa has run it for two decades, doesn't have any relevance to the QB's experience with calling audibles. Nor are the audibles or checks we make predicated on purely the offensive scheme, it's based on what the defense is giving us. And if we are talking purely from an offensive experience standpoint, the QB under center has exclusively run out of the shotgun for his entire career - so YES, that is my opinion, have the OC or QBC call out audibles to make adjustments. Shoot, that's why half the OC's sit in the press box, so they can see better. My point is there's a reason why OC's make audibles, they are experts on the offense they run year in and year out - the QB MORE THAN LIKELY, isn't.

That being said, I don't think it really matters a whole lot at this point what audibles we make with an abysmal offensive line. We can't run it, we can't throw it. AND our offensive play calling has buried us a lot of the time. But having the QB learning audibles is another tall ask for them. If you listen to the Chuck Long Podcast with Tom, he touched on that, and he's not the only one, in the past couple of weeks after Spencer didn't play well. Our system asks a lot of them mentally. Also there's the fact that teams like Purdue and Wisconsin were crashing their safeties from the second Petras turned his back and weren't showing. That's basically saying our play action doesn't work and they aren't scared of our 15+ passing attack. Which I wouldn't be if I were our opponent either.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Good recap here. Great logical thoughts -- especially your second paragraph.

Minnesota is still playing for the B1G West title and is in control of their own destiny as Wisconsin is. That will be a test for Padilla. Illinois under Bielema has been showing a tough defense in recent weeks in their two road wins (PSU, MN). Likely a tough test. Then the final game, at Nebraska, will be in front of a huge hostile crowd (nothing like he faced at NW) so that will be a test. Yes, we WILL learn a lot about Padilla in these final three games.

One thing I'd like to point out especially after what @DodgerHawki said, reminded me of just how handicapped our playcalling has made us look on 3rd and more than 3 or 4. We are abysmal. one of the worst in the nation with Petras and now Padilla because of the NW Game. BF has to figure his crap out, because there's been x number of times this year we've lost 3 or 4 yards on first down, or got 7 on first down and lost 4 on second down. We all basically start looking for Tory on the sideline at that point because we don't dial up anything to manage a first down. I don't expect an 80% conversion rate, but at least close or somewhat close to 50% would be expected with such an experienced staff, and now the weapons we have at receiver.

Don't care if our line is bad, adjust our scheme to cater to that or we will lose against good teams because we won't sustain drives offesnively. Simple as that. I think this is something overlooked often and has been put on Petras more times than not.

You seriously think Padilla has clearly outperformed Petras in practice the past two seasons but that was just ignored? C'mon you're smarter than that.

Now if we see Padilla shines big-time and this offense really begins to crank under him, then as fans we should all be pissed and concerned at how bad the Iowa coaches missed the mark on this (BF, KF, O'Keefe) and begin to wonder how many other players might be not getting their opportunity from being big factors.

"Outperforming in practice" is a moot point. Only one or two of the maybe six most critical QB skill sets can be evaluated in practice. Valid QB evaluation can only be done in real game play. I've been saying for over a year that seeing significant game action (not just mop-up) for Padilla was not just prudent and fair, but ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. Having not done that became critical this year because having 2 big problems (QB and OL) is not having one of them times 2. Because they feed into each other, it magnifies exponentially and becomes 4 times the problem.

"Outperforming in practice" is a moot point. Only one or two of the maybe six most critical QB skill sets can be evaluated in practice. Valid QB evaluation can only be done in real game play. I've been saying for over a year that seeing significant game action (not just mop-up) for Padilla was not just prudent and fair, but ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL. Having not done that became critical this year because having 2 big problems (QB and OL) is not having one of them times 2. Because they feed into each other, it magnifies exponentially and becomes 4 times the problem.
I don't disagree with you that Padilla could/should have been given more opportunities the past two years. But remember, we also had one season where Rudock (think it was him) played literally every snap of one season.

But I stand behind that coaches often play the players that perform best in practice. Kirk is no different I'm certain.

That was Vandenberg. Rudock what his backup, who never got a single snap.
Yep, you're right. I remember back then asking if any team through injuries happening or poor play to QB or blowout games, has never not allowed the backup QB to take one snap during the entire season. Really feel bad for whoever the backup was that season.

Stop it !!! This kind of stuff makes my head ache. Showing some clip from high school years ago is beyond idiotic.

You just illustrated one of the biggest problem with Message Board football Einstein's - that between High School and the their Senior year in college football players mature physically, mentally and experience. Don't label a guy great or sucky based on 1 year...or even worse 1 game.

I saw enough of Padilla to realize he can be productive. He's not going to be superman....but if he can move the chains and give Defense a break for stretches, that will be one improvement already.
Agreed. Let’s temper expectations. He now has film out there and opposing coaches will adjust. Hope Brian opens the book a bit more for him and gets him rolling out of the pocket a bit more.

How does the evidence strongly suggest the latter?

I don't disagree with you that Padilla could/should have been given more opportunities the past two years. But remember, we also had one season where Rudock (think it was him) played literally every snap of one season.

But I stand behind that coaches often play the players that perform best in practice. Kirk is no different I'm certain.
Agree, but "coaches often" doesn't equate to "top coaches".

I suspect Padilla will not do as spectacularly as some hope. Our offensive line and Brian’s horrendous play calling will see to that.

But as long as he is at least a slight improvement over Petras (and honestly, I don’t see how he won’t be), I’ll be satisfied.

I’m sure the Petras lovers will be on here if Padilla throws an INT, or misses a few throws, screaming about how bad he is, and how much better Petras is. Padilla won’t be perfect. He will make mistakes. But if he continues to bring a spark to the offense…if he can avoid a sack or two and not launch the ball into the stands in a panic….then he will have earned the starting job in my book.

I suspect Padilla will not do as spectacularly as some hope. Our offensive line and Brian’s horrendous play calling will see to that.

But as long as he is at least a slight improvement over Petras (and honestly, I don’t see how he won’t be), I’ll be satisfied.

I’m sure the Petras lovers will be on here if Padilla throws an INT, or misses a few throws, screaming about how bad he is, and how much better Petras is. Padilla won’t be perfect. He will make mistakes. But if he continues to bring a spark to the offense…if he can avoid a sack or two and not launch the ball into the stands in a panic….then he will have earned the starting job in my book.
The Petras lovers here you refer to-- I look at these boards a lot and I really haven't seen many if any. Many have varied opinions here but seems everyone has agreed that Petras has had his share of struggles and has limitations.

Where I see a little varied opinion is people's opinion of Padilla. The good news there is the next three weeks will tell us a lot about him one way or the other.

I don't know if there was a single Hawk fan on the face of the planet that didn't watch the first half of Northwestern and think "Hm... I feel pretty good right now watching the offense ACTUALLY move the ball."

I think that's what made me want to create this thread, it was enjoyable to watch us do that and I'd like to enjoy as much of the season as we have left whether there is a letdown from Padilla or not - he gave us some hope and that's really what a lot of the fan base was missing over the last 4-5 weeks or so. Cuz let's be honest we didn't move the ball hardly at all outside of a few plays against PSU. It was completely stagnant and drained and I think putting him out there restored a little bit of the hope we are craving.

After the second half, I think we all have learned that Padilla will take as far as our o line and OC will allow him, but I agree with you and still think he puts us in the best position moving forward. I had seen enough of the insanity of putting Spencer in an impossibly tough situation where he lacked the tools to get us to where we wanted. I'm glad to ride the Paddy Daddy wave as far as it takes us even if it ends this week!

here's to opening up a can of whoop a$$ on Phil Fleck and Minnesota's Rec Rowing squad, let's take the top off em

The Petras lovers here you refer to-- I look at these boards a lot and I really haven't seen many if any. Many have varied opinions here but seems everyone has agreed that Petras has had his share of struggles and has limitations.

Where I see a little varied opinion is people's opinion of Padilla. The good news there is the next three weeks will tell us a lot about him one way or the other.
There are a few. Not many. But a few.

Reactions: frydaze

I am not sure many folks are looking for Padilla to be the savior? But, I would guess most people feel nothing will change unless a different QB is given a chance. So, most folks are happy to try something versus total acceptance of Petras and his lackluster results. JMO

Reactions: 83Hawk
Watch the completion to Goodson. Looks right and then comes back to Goodson.
Yeah, saw that - not sure you have to check down either if your first read is a deep ball and they guy has the DB beat... Oh and it's HS ball, not a lot of checking down when you dominate the DB's. I liked how he looked at the 1st received long enough to get #86 wide open...

Yet he still did check down on some, even <gasp> stepping up in the pocket and finding another receiver!! ;)

I don't know if there was a single Hawk fan on the face of the planet that didn't watch the first half of Northwestern and think "Hm... I feel pretty good right now watching the offense ACTUALLY move the ball."

I think that's what made me want to create this thread, it was enjoyable to watch us do that and I'd like to enjoy as much of the season as we have left whether there is a letdown from Padilla or not - he gave us some hope and that's really what a lot of the fan base was missing over the last 4-5 weeks or so. Cuz let's be honest we didn't move the ball hardly at all outside of a few plays against PSU. It was completely stagnant and drained and I think putting him out there restored a little bit of the hope we are craving.

After the second half, I think we all have learned that Padilla will take as far as our o line and OC will allow him, but I agree with you and still think he puts us in the best position moving forward. I had seen enough of the insanity of putting Spencer in an impossibly tough situation where he lacked the tools to get us to where we wanted. I'm glad to ride the Paddy Daddy wave as far as it takes us even if it ends this week!

here's to opening up a can of whoop a$$ on Phil Fleck and Minnesota's Rec Rowing squad, let's take the top off em

This. I dont care which QB plays as long as the offense is succeeding. Padilla just looked better and the offense seemed more alive with him in there.

One thing I'd like to point out especially after what @DodgerHawki said, reminded me of just how handicapped our playcalling has made us look on 3rd and more than 3 or 4. We are abysmal. one of the worst in the nation with Petras and now Padilla because of the NW Game. BF has to figure his crap out, because there's been x number of times this year we've lost 3 or 4 yards on first down, or got 7 on first down and lost 4 on second down. We all basically start looking for Tory on the sideline at that point because we don't dial up anything to manage a first down. I don't expect an 80% conversion rate, but at least close or somewhat close to 50% would be expected with such an experienced staff, and now the weapons we have at receiver.

Don't care if our line is bad, adjust our scheme to cater to that or we will lose against good teams because we won't sustain drives offesnively. Simple as that. I think this is something overlooked often and has been put on Petras more times than not.
The line does handicap what Iowa does, but how Iowa is approaching some of these situations is also not great. The number of 0-yard or negative yard runs on first down that Iowa has is just crippling. Makes those drives DOA, as Iowa is not good enough to overcome 2nd and 12. If Iowa goes under center on early downs, the defense is going to crowd the line of scrimmage and play run. Period. I am not sure what the right answer is, other than to either play more out of shotgun on early downs or greatly increase the % of times throwing the ball on first down when under center. What they are continuing to do is not working.

And yes, when Iowa now gets to 3rd and 5 or more, they play very scared. Lots of runs and screens on 3rd and long. Those are basically give-up plays, you don't believe you can block the opponent or get open, or both. The occasional screen or draw will fool the defense, but not as a staple.

This isn't so much Padilla Hype,
as it is Someone Besides Petras Hype.
There is a difference.

That said, the more Padilla plays, the more happy I am to see what he can do.

Last edited:
The line does handicap what Iowa does, but how Iowa is approaching some of these situations is also not great. The number of 0-yard or negative yard runs on first down that Iowa has is just crippling. Makes those drives DOA, as Iowa is not good enough to overcome 2nd and 12. If Iowa goes under center on early downs, the defense is going to crowd the line of scrimmage and play run. Period. I am not sure what the right answer is, other than to either play more out of shotgun on early downs or greatly increase the % of times throwing the ball on first down when under center. What they are continuing to do is not working.

And yes, when Iowa now gets to 3rd and 5 or more, they play very scared. Lots of runs and screens on 3rd and long. Those are basically give-up plays, you don't believe you can block the opponent or get open, or both. The occasional screen or draw will fool the defense, but not as a staple.
Yeah I honestly see the screen plays as not a way to get a first down, but a way to secure a few more yards to flip the field. We are essentially saying we aren’t good enough to risk passing it 10-15 yards from fear of a sack or turnover, at times. It’s intended to be a conservative safe approach to not make mistakes, but to us as fans it just looks like fear and ineptitude. Our style of play can be infuriating and mind numbing, both.

If you didn't see the NW game, check it out.
Roman has been on this train for awhile and I’ve definitely come around. He threw 3 balls in that NW game that Petras would have either thrown in the ground or into the stands. The long sideline pass to Johnson was a thing of beauty. He was tightly covered but he gave our receiver a chance to get it. And guess what? He did. The throw to Jones just over the lb’ers was also a perfect ball and one that Petra also refuses to throw. Yes Jones dropped it, but it was a dime 20 yards down the field. Again, that’s a staple of our offense and how often have you seen Petras throw it? Almost never. Finally the throw to Johnson in the end zone into tight coverage. Slightly overthrown, but again gave him a chance. Petras throws that out of the end zone. Padilla looked better in 3 quarters than Petras has in 16 games. He’s broke.

Roman has been on this train for awhile and I’ve definitely come around. He threw 3 balls in that NW game that Petras would have either thrown in the ground or into the stands. The long sideline pass to Johnson was a thing of beauty. He was tightly covered but he gave our receiver a chance to get it. And guess what? He did. The throw to Jones just over the lb’ers was also a perfect ball and one that Petra also refuses to throw. Yes Jones dropped it, but it was a dime 20 yards down the field. Again, that’s a staple of our offense and how often have you seen Petras throw it? Almost never. Finally the throw to Johnson in the end zone into tight coverage. Slightly overthrown, but again gave him a chance. Petras throws that out of the end zone. Padilla looked better in 3 quarters than Petras has in 16 games. He’s broke.
You can add the 15 yard completion into a zone to KJ on his second throw, the slant to the middle of man to Tracy and the scramble to the left out of a blitz that created an opening to KJ that he just overthrew. All throws Petras rarely or ever makes.

Reactions: littlez
It took longer than it should have, but at least he's getting his shot to see what he can do. Hopefully the play calling will reflect the added mobility that he brings. And, although it's probably asking too much for a KF team, that they don't go into turtle mode if they get up by 10 points.
I'm just hoping we can be up 10.

Reactions: AirForceChiefO
You guys need to be prepared for how you'll react IF Padilla comes out and plays really well Saturday or the rest of this season if he's give the chance. If he does, then the question needs to be asked of KF, BF, and O'Keefe, "why the f-- has this guy been standing on the sidelines all season when Petras has continued to be the mainstay despite some struggles?"

I've said before, we will learn a lot about Padilla the rest of this season. The 3 remaining games will test him. The question shouldn't be so much "is he better than Petras?" but rather, "can Iowa win the B1G West (maybe no longer possible this year) with this guy as our QB in 2022?"

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
Padilla seems more decisive and has a quicker release. He can move better in and out if the pocket. Not a large enough sample size but the biggest advantage he brings is that he does not lock on to one receiver. That has been my biggest problem with Petras.
Plus, they have to at least respect him as he might scramble. That makes defensive players halt to commit just a split second longer, opening up the run and pass lanes.

You guys need to be prepared for how you'll react IF Padilla comes out and plays really well Saturday or the rest of this season if he's give the chance. If he does, then the question needs to be asked of KF, BF, and O'Keefe, "why the f-- has this guy been standing on the sidelines all season when Petras has continued to be the mainstay despite some struggles?"

I've said before, we will learn a lot about Padilla the rest of this season. The 3 remaining games will test him. The question shouldn't be so much "is he better than Petras?" but rather, "can Iowa win the B1G West (maybe no longer possible this year) with this guy as our QB in 2022?"
If Brian (or Kirk) as I’m not really sure who is actually in charge of the offense, let’s Padilla actually flow in the offense like we did for a quarter and a half, and do it for a whole game I have no doubt we can win out. Purdue is going to lose to Ohio State. At this point it’s unlikely Wisconsin loses, but Mertz is not great. He could certainly have a 2-3 interception day and they could get upset. I truly believe at this point our coaches have blown it. I keep hearing it was just Northwestern. Does anyone on here really believe after the previous 2 games Petras was going to win us that game?

If Brian (or Kirk) as I’m not really sure who is actually in charge of the offense, let’s Padilla actually flow in the offense like we did for a quarter and a half, and do it for a whole game I have no doubt we can win out. Purdue is going to lose to Ohio State. At this point it’s unlikely Wisconsin loses, but Mertz is not great. He could certainly have a 2-3 interception day and they could get upset. I truly believe at this point our coaches have blown it. I keep hearing it was just Northwestern. Does anyone on here really believe after the previous 2 games Petras was going to win us that game?
Yes, I believe Iowa beats NW even with Petras. I think most others would agree with me. The two losses had every bit as much to do with terrible OL play as QB play.

That's an interesting take, because the question one year ago should have been "can Iowa win the BIG West with this guy (Petras) as our QB in 2021? That question wasn't asked nearly often enough or loudly enough and so here we are.

If the offense had continued as it started against NW, my guess is that Padilla would have had 2 INTs but we would have won 31-19. Ya, what a _ucking nightmare! INTs are never good, especially if the time and area is bad. But the top offensive teams never have the fewest TOs. However they have the firepower to overcome them. Can the coaches adapt to this reality?

To answer your question, we don't know. All we can do is what we should have done last year----that is to watch and continue to evaluate the current starter (now Padilla) while looking for every opportunity to get the bench guys enough time so they can also be validly evaluated.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT