ADVERTISEMENT

Padilla Hype Train

Come on. You're better than this. He didn't beat out Petras for what reason? Because he wasn't good enough or because our HC doesn't know how to evaluate QBs? The evidence at this point strongly suggests the latter. If Padilla turns out to be just an average P5 QB, we still have made a huge jump.
Wait a minute, you're saying that the Iowa head coach isn't as good as you at evaluating which QB should start?

Effing dumb ass. You are waaaaay to full of yourself. GTFOOH!

Wait a minute, you're saying that the Iowa head coach isn't as good as you at evaluating which QB should start?

You think he’s a good evaluator of qb’s? You trust him and his son and his history of bottom 1/3 offenses? Kirk should go to bed every night kissing a picture of Phil and Norm Parker.

The message board guy that really thinks his ability to identify QB talent, without seeing them in practice or knowing their actual on field limitations, is really wasting their time spreading that knowledge to the Rivals board. That guy needs to be a QB coach at a major college program.

Kids get better as their games and bodies mature. Anyone listening to Kirk's comments after spring ball knew that the gap between Spencer and Alex was closing, and he repeatedly make similar statements as the season grew closer. Were I guessing, the gap probably continued closing. But changing QBs is a big deal in an NFL like program. By Northwestern Spencer was probably holding the job by a thread.​

The message board guy that really thinks his ability to identify QB talent, without seeing them in practice or knowing their actual on field limitations, is really wasting their time spreading that knowledge to the Rivals board. That guy needs to be a QB coach at a major college program.

Kids get better as their games and bodies mature. Anyone listening to Kirk's comments after spring ball knew that the gap between Spencer and Alex was closing, and he repeatedly make similar statements as the season grew closer. Were I guessing, the gap probably continued closing. But changing QBs is a big deal in an NFL like program. By Northwestern Spencer was probably holding the job by a thread.​
You make way to much sense to be posting here! 😉

Reactions: Section25
You think he’s a good evaluator of qb’s? You trust him and his son and his history of bottom 1/3 offenses? Kirk should go to bed every night kissing a picture of Phil and Norm Parker.
I'd take his opinion about anything football-related over yours. Any day.

And FYI, the whole effing staff is involved, not just the Ferentz family. But you wouldn't have a clue about that.

I think he does more than just kiss it. Lol

16 games as a starter. Someone smarter than me could post his QB rating vs past QB’s. 16 games is plenty of time to evaluate a guy. I was in his camp after everything he had to deal with last year. He just didn’t really take any steps forward this year. By all accounts great teammate, which I’m sure is another reason Kirk probably didn’t want to make a change. Maybe Padilla goes out and lays an egg and Petras returns as a new man. I don’t know. I just know Padilla looked better last week than Petras has all year. Now it’s his chance.

16 games as a starter. Someone smarter than me could post his QB rating vs past QB’s. 16 games is plenty of time to evaluate a guy. I was in his camp after everything he had to deal with last year. He just didn’t really take any steps forward this year. By all accounts great teammate, which I’m sure is another reason Kirk probably didn’t want to make a change. Maybe Padilla goes out and lays an egg and Petras returns as a new man. I don’t know. I just know Padilla looked better last week than Petras has all year. Now it’s his chance.
So far every non-injured qb has done fairly well against Northwestern. Let's hope Padilla can get it done this weekend. He's had a week of prep as #1 so no excuses, right?
😉

And how does KF justify benching a QB with mediocre performances on the #2 team in the AP poll, when he bolsters a 12-2 record as a starter and we are currently undefeated with 3 wins against top 20 opponents? You don’t and you can’t, that’s not fair to Spencer. But it doesn’t mean he necessarily still gives us the best chance to win but there’s no way to fairly test that outside of what coaches see week to week, which we aren’t privy to. All we can do is speculate.

Fact of the matter is we really benefited from outrageously successful defensive play against some overhyped opponents, and turned the ball over like nobody has in decades. We didn’t need above average QB play until our offense had to be an offense, instead of our defense being an offense…

Now here we all sit less than 48 hours out of Padilla finally getting the shot to prove if he is a capable starting power 5 QB, more so than Petras with a crap o line, and can bring us a B1G west title within our own teams contingencies!

That's an interesting take, because the question one year ago should have been "can Iowa win the BIG West with this guy (Petras) as our QB in 2021? That question wasn't asked nearly often enough or loudly enough and so here we are.

If the offense had continued as it started against NW, my guess is that Padilla would have had 2 INTs but we would have won 31-19. Ya, what a _ucking nightmare! INTs are never good, especially if the time and area is bad. But the top offensive teams never have the fewest TOs. However they have the firepower to overcome them. Can the coaches adapt to this reality?

To answer your question, we don't know. All we can do is what we should have done last year----that is to watch and continue to evaluate the current starter (now Padilla) while looking for every opportunity to get the bench guys enough time so they can also be validly evaluated.
I will give this staff the benefit of the doubt they were thinking at the start of 2020 who could best lead the team at QB to its highest success. That answer for them was Petras and it was for them into 2021 too. You and I may not like the answer but that's what it was.

With due respect, guessing what Padilla would have done if not handicapped in any way at NW is all speculation-- no different than 99% of the national pundits saying Iowa NEVER would have beaten Penn State had Clifford not been hurt.

Again, the reality is Padilla is now being given his chance. IF he's allowed to be the #1 guy in the final three games-- he absolutely will face challenges and I do think we will learn clearly what we have in him. Again, if he's sensational, then as fans we've been hoodwinked by this staff for keeping him on the bench all this time. If he plays mediocre then we might be saying he's just a different looking version of Petras. I'm excited to at lest learn which he is. I do know, however, he'll be playing behind the same OL as did Petras. One bigger thing Padilla will have in his favor is that thankfully Johnson and Bruce have become a much bigger part of this offense now than they've been at any point earlier.

You're making my point as to why the hard core "Petras is pathetic" crowd out there is off base by just calling for his head constantly. I too have been frustrated by his play, but I'm also not going to "assume" this staff, despite seeing both guys every day in practice for two seasons, totally had no clue what they were looking at.

You're right-- based on KFs comments the gap between these two guys has possibly closed since the start of 2020.

Again, we are about to find out what we have in Padilla. He'll be tested these next three games.

I’ve said this before - and really believe it - but there is huge difference between the NFL and college in terms of players sticking with teams for extended periods of time and the opportunities coaches have to evaluate talent in game-like situations. In the NFL, backups get preseason, crossover practices with other teams, and blowouts to show what they can do in addition to regular practice. In college, backups get practice and blowouts to prove that they are the better QB, neither of which can truly simulate a meaningful game scenario.

Additionally, a college program may have four QB’s on roster. Unless you are a five star talent, the first year or two should be dedicated purely to development and understanding the offense, leaving you with only a couple/few years as starter. NFL teams can have the same QB for a decade. Aaron Rodgers was drafted in 2005, was a backup until 2008, and then finished 6-10 his first full season. If he were a college player, he might have one more season to play if he redshirted, and may have gotten benched in that time.

My point? Iowa doesn’t need to be Oklahoma where they bench their starter at the first sign of trouble. However, we do need to have a lot shorter leash with our starting QB’s instead of giving them a season and a half of mediocre play to figure it out without ever giving #2 a shot… especially when, like I said, there are three other QB’s on staff chomping at the bit to get their shot

You are entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts.

In addition to your other problems, you struggle with reading comprehension. Nowhere will you find a claim to my QB evaluation ability (fact). My assertion is that valid QB evaluation is a 2 step process. First is giving a candidate meaningful real game opportunities. Second is judgement in weighing importance of strengths /weaknesses after viewing those real game opportunities.

My contention for over a year now is that KF hadn't even taken step 1 above(fact). It's essential that should be done on a routine basis, but becomes critical with the existence of underperformance. As a result NOBODY (not you, not me, not the coached) knew if we had a better option. Frankly that's dereliction of duty on the part of KF.

In the meantime, you have argued that viewing practice provides sufficient evaluation opportunities. We are probably in the process of seeing the fallacy of that view. You may want to consider not digging your hole any deeper. Name calling won't save you.

In addition to your other problems, you struggle with reading comprehension. Nowhere will you find a claim to my QB evaluation ability (fact). My assertion is that valid QB evaluation is a 2 step process. First is giving a candidate meaningful real game opportunities. Second is judgement in weighing importance of strengths /weaknesses after viewing those real game opportunities.

My contention for over a year now is that KF hadn't even taken step 1 above(fact). It's essential that should be done on a routine basis, but becomes critical with the existence of underperformance. As a result NOBODY (not you, not me, not the coached) knew if we had a better option. Frankly that's dereliction of duty on the part of KF.

In the meantime, you have argued that viewing practice provides sufficient evaluation opportunities. We are probably in the process of seeing the fallacy of that view. You may want to consider not digging your hole any deeper. Name calling won't save you.
What a dumb post.

Come on. You're better than this. He didn't beat out Petras for what reason? Because he wasn't good enough or because our HC doesn't know how to evaluate QBs? The evidence at this point strongly suggests the latter. If Padilla turns out to be just an average P5 QB, we still have made a huge jump.

You said it above in your first quote. You consider your less-than-1-game analysis to prove that KF doesn't know how to evaluate the Iowa quarterbacks. That is a fact in your own words. Whether Padilla even deserved to get game-time experience is totally the staff's call. They obviously didn't think he was ready. And nothing in his brief previous appearances would have led anyone to think otherwise, so there was no evidence other that what the staff had seen, not you.

Sorry about the name calling. I am just fed up with internet experts. Leave the big decisions to the professionals. They really do know what they are doing.

Reactions: Section25
That's an interesting take, because the question one year ago should have been "can Iowa win the BIG West with this guy (Petras) as our QB in 2021? That question wasn't asked nearly often enough or loudly enough and so here we are.

If the offense had continued as it started against NW, my guess is that Padilla would have had 2 INTs but we would have won 31-19. Ya, what a _ucking nightmare! INTs are never good, especially if the time and area is bad. But the top offensive teams never have the fewest TOs. However they have the firepower to overcome them. Can the coaches adapt to this reality?

To answer your question, we don't know. All we can do is what we should have done last year----that is to watch and continue to evaluate the current starter (now Padilla) while looking for every opportunity to get the bench guys enough time so they can also be validly evaluated.
Evaluation for QB during practice is very challenging. You cannot allow your practice squad to hit your QB. So in practice, Petras may look better. From what I saw last week, Padilla looks better in game time situations.

In fairness to Petras, our offensive line play vs. last year has been abysmal.

Spencer wasn't losing his job this year short of an injury. That's become clear as day.

You said it above in your first quote. You consider your less-than-1-game analysis to prove that KF doesn't know how to evaluate the Iowa quarterbacks. That is a fact in your own words. Whether Padilla even deserved to get game-time experience is totally the staff's call. They obviously didn't think he was ready. And nothing in his brief previous appearances would have led anyone to think otherwise, so there was no evidence other that what the staff had seen, not you.

Sorry about the name calling. I am just fed up with internet experts. Leave the big decisions to the professionals. They really do know what they are doing.
If you're fed up w/internet experts what do you call yourself? C'mon man. We're all just fans speaking our minds. None of us are experts. It's a message board for people w/opinions. You can agree or disagree. Is what it is.

Reactions: grayhair81
I’ve said this before - and really believe it - but there is huge difference between the NFL and college in terms of players sticking with teams for extended periods of time and the opportunities coaches have to evaluate talent in game-like situations. In the NFL, backups get preseason, crossover practices with other teams, and blowouts to show what they can do in addition to regular practice. In college, backups get practice and blowouts to prove that they are the better QB, neither of which can truly simulate a meaningful game scenario.

Additionally, a college program may have four QB’s on roster. Unless you are a five star talent, the first year or two should be dedicated purely to development and understanding the offense, leaving you with only a couple/few years as starter. NFL teams can have the same QB for a decade. Aaron Rodgers was drafted in 2005, was a backup until 2008, and then finished 6-10 his first full season. If he were a college player, he might have one more season to play if he redshirted, and may have gotten benched in that time.

My point? Iowa doesn’t need to be Oklahoma where they bench their starter at the first sign of trouble. However, we do need to have a lot shorter leash with our starting QB’s instead of giving them a season and a half of mediocre play to figure it out without ever giving #2 a shot… especially when, like I said, there are three other QB’s on staff chomping at the bit to get their shot
You may have a point, but not one relevant to Iowa football in the typical situation.

However, even on some NFL teams the QB plays his way out of the line up in the season. That is precisely what Spencer has done I think.

If you're fed up w/internet experts what do you call yourself? C'mon man. We're all just fans speaking our minds. None of us are experts. It's a message board for people w/opinions. You can agree or disagree. Is what it is.
When you state your opinion as fact, it makes you sound as though you consider yourself an expert. I KNOW I don't have the knowledge or experience to call say D1 coach doesn't know how to evaluate a position on his team, much less a guy who will be in the College Hall of Fame someday. If you mean it as an opinion, state it as such. I use IMHO a LOT just to make sure others understand.

Where did I state anything about facts? Go back and tell me. It’s my opinion. No different than yours. We disagree. Is what it is.

Reactions: vamchawk
Where did I state anything about facts? Go back and tell me. It’s my opinion. No different than yours. We disagree. Is what it is.
Sorry, when you replied to my response to a DIFFERENT POSTER I assumed you were that poster. I was wrong.

So, to clarify, THAT POSTER stated something as fact that was their opinion and NOT A FACT. Thus my reply.

I'd like to see Padilla get his chance over these final games and see what he can do. I'm hoping for the best but won't be surprised in the least if when he has a bad game...the bench Padilla crowd will be in full force wanting Hogan.;)

Reactions: Capeto and BBHawk
I'd like to see Padilla get his chance over these final games and see what he can do. I'm hoping for the best but won't be surprised in the least if when he has a bad game...the bench Padilla crowd will be in full force wanting Hogan.;)

giphy.gif

I would prefer to see Ben Hogan get a chance before returning to Spencer. Spencer has failed to get beyond at best mediocre. We can always go back if we have to do so.

Sorry, when you replied to my response to a DIFFERENT POSTER I assumed you were that poster. I was wrong.

So, to clarify, THAT POSTER stated something as fact that was their opinion and NOT A FACT. Thus my reply.
You've been around message boards long enough to know that *everything anyone posts* is an opinion, whether they actually bother to write "in my opinion" or not.

Padilla at least has SOME ability to escape the pocket, so he automatically has a leg up on Spencer, that Spencer simply can't match.

Couple that with our Offensive line issues and you have to see what Padilla can do.

Excited to see what Padilla does against MN

Padilla at least has SOME ability to escape the pocket, so he automatically has a leg up on Spencer, that Spencer simply can't match.

Couple that with our Offensive line issues and you have to see what Padilla can do.

Excited to see what Padilla does against MN
I think a lot of fans are expecting Padilla to run for 1st downs and that's simply not the case. He wasn't that in HS and won't be doing that here.

Far too
So if someone says "it's a fact" they really mean "in my opinion"? Right...
Far too many people say "it's a fact" when they are really just stating the conclusion they drew from facts. Completion rate, yards per carry, the specific result of a play are the facts. What we think those facts prove is an opinion. The difference is obvious.​

I doubt he will be encouraged to do so also with Petras banged up.
Can he recognize when a big running lane opens on a bootleg because the defense sinks to cover the receivers and then run for significant yardage (8-15)? If so that's a huge improvement and immediately affects the defense.​

Can he recognize when a big running lane opens on a bootleg because the defense sinks to cover the receivers and then run for significant yardage (8-15)? If so that's a huge improvement and immediately affects the defense.​
Not disagreeing with this at all, just noting that while Padilla is a much more mobile QB...I doubt he will be running a lot but his mobility will definitely help.

Not disagreeing with this at all, just noting that while Padilla is a much more mobile QB...I doubt he will be running a lot but his mobility will definitely help.

Exactly. He's no Mike Vick....but he looks like it compared to our QBs over the last 5 years.

Those that mock the Padilla change because of only scoring 17 points against NW are conveniently factoring out the Ferentz turtle scheme whenever we have a decent lead. Hayden used to stomp on the accelerator. Ferentz starts pumping the brakes.
Never converted a 3rd down in the second half on six chances. Padilla was 0-3 on passing.

Last edited:

Practice is where you prove yourself. Games aren’t an opportunity to juggle a few QBs and see which one looks the best. Padilla did not prove himself in practice early on, and we were also winning with Petras. There was no reason to make a switch. Now, we have taken a couple losses, Petras’s play has declined, and Padilla is getting his shot. The staff has handled this exactly the right way.

Reactions: HawkOn15
Thought the young man looked good today in person. Extended plays with his legs, scrambled out of sacks. 4 drops from guys he hit in the hands (Keagan x2, Arland 1, Pallisard 1) and 5 more incompletions I counted where it was just a throw away on a bootleg. He had 2 that were terrible incompletions and almost intercepted and on sound off Ross seems to have the opinion that plays like that will be exactly why Petras gets the starting spot back when he’s 100% healthy. Sigh. IMO we don’t win that game with Petras, I’m happy we got the W.

Thought the young man looked good today in person. Extended plays with his legs, scrambled out of sacks. 4 drops from guys he hit in the hands (Keagan x2, Arland 1, Pallisard 1) and 5 more incompletions I counted where it was just a throw away on a bootleg. He had 2 that were terrible incompletions and almost intercepted and on sound off Ross seems to have the opinion that plays like that will be exactly why Petras gets the starting spot back when he’s 100% healthy. Sigh. IMO we don’t win that game with Petras, I’m happy we got the W.
It's not like Spencer has never made any throws into tight coverage that go right to a LB or safety. Hell, he just did it 4 times a few weeks ago vs. Purdue.

If Spencer is reinserted as the starter at any point this season, the coaches will take very deserved heat for it.

It's not like Spencer has never made any throws into tight coverage that go right to a LB or safety. Hell, he just did it 4 times a few weeks ago vs. Purdue.

If Spencer is reinserted as the starter at any point this season, the coaches will take very deserved heat for it.
He hasn’t made many because he usually just throws it away. He’s afraid to make a mistake. Or make a play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT