ADVERTISEMENT

Pan-Am Championships

It was tied 3-3 with Gilman having criteria (I guess) and he got 4 pointed.

It is pretty crazy, when our world silver medalist seems to be in the middle of the pack of this team.

When you look at the depth of this team, I'll take a world silver medalist being in the middle of the pack....It's a great time to be a fan of USA Wrestling!

57: Gilman, World Silver
61: Colon, PanAm Champ
65: Stieber, World Champ at 61
70: Green, World Silver and Bronze
74: Burroughs, World/Olympic Champ
79: Dake, Yarygin Silver
86: Taylor, Yarygin/PanAm Champ
92: Cox, World/Olympic Bronze
97: Snyder, World/Olympic Champ
125: Gwiz, World Bronze

When you look at the depth of this team, I'll take a world silver medalist being in the middle of the pack....It's a great time to be a fan of USA Wrestling!

That is one hell of a team for the red, white and blue!

That is one hell of a team for the red, white and blue!
It definitely is, and doesn’t look like it’s going to get worse any time soon. The pipeline is very strong, and there is good money available to keep the best guys in the sport.

Best team ever for sure! Sorry Randy Lewis! Lol

It definitely is, and doesn’t look like it’s going to get worse any time soon. The pipeline is very strong, and there is good money available to keep the best guys in the sport.
This can't be true. We don't wrestle Freestyle in College in the U.S.A. No way in hell we can be competitive with the rest of the world while wrestling Folkstyle all those years.................;)

This can't be true. We don't wrestle Freestyle in College in the U.S.A. No way in hell we can be competitive with the rest of the world while wrestling Folkstyle all those years.................;)
We weren’t competitive until Zeke Jones executed a brilliant strategy. He identified our young talent early, got the cadets and juniors to work alongside the seniors, and emphasized age level world championships. The goal for the the top age level athletes is now making world teams and winning cadet/junior medals. That was not the case 10 years ago.

Having RTCs all around the country rather than focusing on a central OTC has made a huge difference, also. That and people ponying up money for their local areas.

It is tough to get someone to give some money to the OTC because there is no connection with it. However, giving it to an RTC near your home or at your alma mater is a much easier sell.

We weren’t competitive until Zeke Jones executed a brilliant strategy. He identified our young talent early, got the cadets and juniors to work alongside the seniors, and emphasized age level world championships. The goal for the the top age level athletes is now making world teams and winning cadet/junior medals. That was not the case 10 years ago.
I thought you were gonna say he was instrumental in getting rid of the ball grab. Semantics I suppose............

Great post! It’s also a well known fact that Gable used to recruit wrestlers who wanted to beat the Russians. Guys with extremely high goals, who wanted more than NCAA championships.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

A good deal, if not most, of the credit should go to Mr. and Mrs. Borroughs, Mr. And Mrs. Snyder, Mr. And Mrs. Dake, and Mr. And Mrs. Cox. Not putting Zeke down, but these guys are freak athletes the likes of which we likely won't see again. It's a perfect storm for the USA.

I'm having trouble finding results - can someone provide the placings of each of the weights? Thanks!

A good deal, if not most, of the credit should go to Mr. and Mrs. Borroughs, Mr. And Mrs. Snyder, Mr. And Mrs. Dake, and Mr. And Mrs. Cox. Not putting Zeke down, but these guys are freak athletes the likes of which we likely won't see again. It's a perfect storm for the USA.
Snyder was brought up in this Zeke designed system agree on Burroughs.

I think we’ll see the same level of results with Hall, Spencer, Fix, Yianni, Gable, Zahid as well. It’s systemic.

Reactions: el dub
Snyder was brought up in this Zeke designed system agree on Burroughs.

I think we’ll see the same level of results with Hall, Spencer, Fix, Yianni, Gable, Zahid as well. It’s systemic.

Maybe I've been sleeping, so I'll ask you "what system?" I was unaware that we had a unified youth developement program in the USA created by Zeke Jones? Not being a smartass, but how about a link so I can educate myself? I thought we had a patchwork of clubs, RTCs, and random coaches that independently developed our young wrestlers.

I know Spencer came out of the Young Guns, what does Zeke have to do with that? Is Zeke the first guy that figured out our young wrestler should participate in cadets and juniors?

Maybe I've been sleeping, so I'll ask you "what system?" I was unaware that we had a unified youth developement program in the USA created by Zeke Jones? Not being a smartass, but how about a link so I can educate myself? I thought we had a patchwork of clubs, RTCs, and random coaches that independently developed our young wrestlers.

I know Spencer came out of the Young Guns, what does Zeke have to do with that? Is Zeke the first guy that figured out our young wrestler should participate in cadets and juniors?
It was a strategy implemented by USA Wrestling. I don’t have a ton of time to do the googling for you, but Zeke talks a bit about the strategy in this interview.

According to recent results from World Cup and Pan Am, that is a very generous assessment.

The level of competition at each weight hasn’t been nearly equal at both of those events. Gilman has had almost all the top guys at his weight in those events. Without the Russians or Iranians the same can’t be said for most weights.

The level of competition at each weight hasn’t been nearly equal at both of those events. Gilman has had almost all the top guys at his weight in those events. Without the Russians or Iranians the same can’t be said for most weights.
Spot on. He’s wrestled probably the two top contenders for the world title this year (Japan and Cuba). He is right there with them. I still think Gilman is the favorite in the US, but can’t wait to see him vs Lee in a 2 of 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT