ADVERTISEMENT

Pat…

LarryMullenJr.

HR Legend
Dec 7, 2011
I know it’s been speculated that he was out for his “head” and the time i saw him shown, he had the hoody up covering his head/face.
As one who fights it as well, he should be removed from the team, or his role be very drastically reduced. The young man needs to get the help he needs away from feeling like he needs to produce on the floor (which admittedly he isn’t). I agree he likely needs to be around the team for his support and the “schedule” it keeps for him. But dad needs to use him sparingly when the pressure isn’t high.

I hope it’s just the flu or something or if it is his head, that it’s short lived. But he’s got a long life ahead that he needs to find his footing for.
Best of health and luck, Patrick.

Agree, I wish nothing but the best for Patrick and the best to you too LarryMullenJr. Life is tuff, we need to try to remember what's most important and try to get through it best we can
Of course; all the Patrick venom is strictly game related. Whatever keeps him playing in situations beyond his comfort zone need to stop and I’m laying this at the feet of the parents.

I know it’s been speculated that he was out for his “head” and the time i saw him shown, he had the hoody up covering his head/face.
As one who fights it as well, he should be removed from the team, or his role be very drastically reduced. The young man needs to get the help he needs away from feeling like he needs to produce on the floor (which admittedly he isn’t). I agree he likely needs to be around the team for his support and the “schedule” it keeps for him. But dad needs to use him sparingly when the pressure isn’t high.

I hope it’s just the flu or something or if it is his head, that it’s short lived. But he’s got a long life ahead that he needs to find his footing for.
Well said. Bball is just a game. Kid has a full life ahead of him, wish him the best.

I almost wonder if he is taking one for his Dad. He hasn’t looked happy out there, and he’s a normally animated kid. Life is too short to do things that make you miserable just because you think you should. Could be he’s doing his Dad a favor by taking off the pressure of playing him. Kind of what Brian Ferentz should have done.

I almost wonder if he is taking one for his Dad. He hasn’t looked happy out there, and he’s a normally animated kid. Life is too short to do things that make you miserable just because you think you should. Could be he’s doing his Dad a favor by taking off the pressure of playing him. Kind of what Brian Ferentz should have done.
giphy.gif

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Not unreasonable.

Margaret is going to be pissed when she finds out.

Maybe he knows how much the fans on here hate him and it wears on him, knowing he has done absolutely nothing to garner their contempt. He is very much engaged with social media and he's still at that impressionable age where what others think and say about him can be taken very personally.

I really think it was his medicine causing him to have no energy.

Maybe he knows how much the fans on here hate him and it wears on him, knowing he has done absolutely nothing to garner their contempt. He is very much engaged with social media and he's still at that impressionable age where what others think and say about him can be taken very personally.
Get off your high horse. No one has insulted his character, just his play (which is warranted). No one in the ncaa would be playing his minutes with some his fouls/rebounding numbers.
He is an adult getting paid to play a game. The horror.

I don't hate the young man personally. I wish nothing but the best for Patrick. With that said, his play on the court is hard to watch.

Occasionally he does make a good play and I'm amazed then he goes back to floating around on the perimeter, never going to the boards. His defensive intensity is lacking.

Probably wouldn't mind if he played 10 minutes but he generally is on the floor 25+.

100% of the fault lies with Fran. The criticism PMAC takes is due to playing time which is set by Fran and the flaws in PMAC game were enabled by Fran the Father not being Fran the coach. If you watch PMAC, he gets super excited/fist pumps when he makes a 3pt shot but he's only 27% on the season..so he's facing reality...being a former High School/AAU "star" he sees himself as a big time scorer....the reality is he s a career 42% FG shooter/32% 3pt shooter which means he's a bench player talent.

Kirk Feretnz stepped in as the primary OC two years ago and finished off his son's career/reputation.

Mental health should always be priority 1. If it’s related to that. Pat is a good kid by all accounts…just maybe not a Big Ten level basketball player (and that’s ok! The vast majority of us are not! And he’s still way more talented than the average Joe.)

Whether it’s mental health or not, wish him nothing but the best. And I hope his Dad doesn’t continue to put him in positions that are detrimental to him.

Mental health should always be priority 1. If it’s related to that. Pat is a good kid by all accounts…just maybe not a Big Ten level basketball player (and that’s ok! The vast majority of us are not! And he’s still way more talented than the average Joe.)

Whether it’s mental health or not, wish him nothing but the best. And I hope his Dad doesn’t continue to put him in positions that are detrimental to him.
"And I hope his Dad doesn’t continue to put him in positions that are detrimental to him."

Dad AND mom

I agree.
Let's back off of being critical of him.

Of course; all the Patrick venom is strictly game related. Whatever keeps him playing in situations beyond his comfort zone need to stop and I’m laying this at the feet of the parents.
As a parent of someone that has fought depression/anxiety most of his life, you really don't know what to do. Obviously, you want to get him some help - counseling, meds, whatever. But those things don't "fix" everyone, so then what do you do? Encourage him to "get out there" and face his fears? Or, allow him to only do the things that are "comfortable"?

Maybe he feels his best when playing, unless it gets really bad. Maybe Fran is playing him to help him cope, although that's not fair to the other players or the program.

My father suffered from it and so do I. My son is suffering worse that either of us. It's really tough to figure out what to do as a parent.

I'll repeat my post from above to respond ...

As a parent of someone that has fought depression/anxiety most of his life, you really don't know what to do. Obviously, you want to get him some help - counseling, meds, whatever. But those things don't "fix" everyone, so then what do you do? Encourage him to "get out there" and face his fears? Or, allow him to only do the things that are "comfortable"?

Maybe he feels his best when playing, unless it gets really bad. Maybe Fran is playing him to help him cope, although that's not fair to the other players or the program.

My father suffered from it and so do I. My son is suffering worse that either of us. It's really tough to figure out what to do as a parent.

I really think it was his medicine causing him to have no energy.

I'm sure the medication plays a role in this. I had a relative who was on medication and it really seemed to take out the highs and the lows. My relative became more of a "whatever" type person when on the medication. Patrick could certainly be on different medication and be different but I bet there's some similarities.

There have been other changes in Patrick's life that could be upsetting to Patrick.
- Not have his brother in his daily life. I'm guessing that not having Connor is a major loss to Patrick
- Fran has gone back to be a nut job on the sideline and we're hearing his mother is one too
- The team is young and so Patrick probably feels the pressure of needing to be a leader
- The team isn't doing very good this year
- The accident his brother was in. I'm sure he's heard a lot of conversation that might be upsetting
- It's hard enough to handle basketball and school, Patrick has the added task of mental health

Patrick is in a tough spot right now. He needs to graduate and move on with his life. The McCaffrey's need to also move on and start something new.

At what point did Pat take a break last year? Wasn't it about this time. or later?

I'll repeat my post from above to respond ...

As you said, it's very tough to know what to do, for the parent and the actual person. There's not a single decision to make, every situation is different. With my relative, one day playing basketball was a good thing and then the next game it was a bad thing. That's because there are other things going on in life that are impacting the person. There may be a test that day, or losing the game vs winning, or almost anything.

Patrick needs to find what Patrick is passionate about and try to put his efforts on that. One thing Patrick won't have to worry about is money. His parents will always be able to supplement his income should he pick an occupation that doesn't pay a lot.

Last edited:
Like some others, I too have a child who suffered from anxiety and depression when she was a teenager- she is doing well now as a adult, thank god. As a parent you feel totally helpless and believe me, we tried everything to help her. There is no magic cure- the drug treatments can be worse than the disease. It has appeared to me from the beginning of the season that this is not the same lively, spirited Patrick that we saw earlier. I assume that we are seeing the effects of depression or the drug treatment. I would never criticize how Patrick or his parents are dealing with this and simply wish them the best.

i would say that's more effort than character... i think you can have high character and still give low effort. no?
I think poor effort is a character flaw. If you told me I was giving poor effort I’d certainly take that as a personal attack.

• Wow
Reactions: LukaDuka
100% of the fault lies with Fran. The criticism PMAC takes is due to playing time which is set by Fran and the flaws in PMAC game were enabled by Fran the Father not being Fran the coach. If you watch PMAC, he gets super excited/fist pumps when he makes a 3pt shot but he's only 27% on the season..so he's facing reality...being a former High School/AAU "star" he sees himself as a big time scorer....the reality is he s a career 42% FG shooter/32% 3pt shooter which means he's a bench player talent.

Kirk Feretnz stepped in as the primary OC two years ago and finished off his son's career/reputation.
I mean, if you must “blame” someone. Life happens and it doesn’t always go as planned, hoped or expected. Pat has had physical and medical issues that have complicated things. At times he has shown promise, but not much this year. Who knows the 100% truth, we’re all speculating to a substantial degree.

I wonder if not playing with his brother has affected him as well. I’m sure Connor was a huge emotional support.

I hold KF and especially BF more responsible because they’re both grown ass men, highly paid professionals and there were no health issues involved that I know of.

I just wanna say there’s a lot of ”good discussion” happening here which doesn’t always happen in a chat board, as we all know.
Glad I could start the ball and an internet-fist-bump to those who have discussed their personal battles and family battles.
I too am in the generational experience and you run LITERALLY the entire range of emotions—for yourself and your loved ones.
May we all keep on keeping on!!!

I mean, if you must “blame” someone. Life happens and it doesn’t always go as planned, hoped or expected. Pat has had physical and medical issues that have complicated things. At times he has shown promise, but not much this year. Who knows the 100% truth, we’re all speculating to a substantial degree.

I wonder if not playing with his brother has affected him as well. I’m sure Connor was a huge emotional support.

I hold KF and especially BF more responsible because they’re both grown ass men, highly paid professionals and there were no health issues involved that I know of.
I do wonder sometimes how Brians losing his newborn daughter affected him. He came right back and coached but things kind of what down hill for him after that......

Nobody under 40 knows what a message board is

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT