ADVERTISEMENT

Pat…

Pmac shooting 27.9% from 3pt so far this year, and has shot 2nd most shots on team.
Surprisingly last season he shot basically the same 3pt% as Sandfort at roughly 34%. (Edited).

Last edited:
Reactions: flyunique
Pmac shooting 27.9% from 3pt so far this year, and has shot 2nd most shots on team.
Last season he shot basically the same 3pt% as Sandfort at roughly 34%.

That said, Sandfort the elder also down this year at 30.3%.

Overall fairly close 3pt% between the two...but for some reason I kinda expect Sandfort to make it when he shoots a 3.
You might have actually looked at Pryce's numbers since Payton Sandfort is shooting 40% (40-100) from three this year. Payton should probably be taking those shots even though he gets carried away at times.

Patrick McCaffery is a career 31.8% 3-point shooter. He's 6'9" and wants to be a SG, but is deficient compared to the average SG in the conference.

Get off your high horse. No one has insulted his character, just his play (which is warranted). No one in the ncaa would be playing his minutes with some his fouls/rebounding numbers.
He is an adult getting paid to play a game. The horror.
What a moronic comment. And you don't think that reading 100s of messages about how much you suck/need to be benched would affect someone mentally. Big deal if you're not insulting his character, only his game. An insult is an insult.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
And you don't think that reading 100s of messages about how much you suck/need to be benched would affect someone mentally.
Why would any player read this message board? I just want one reason. Your whole argument is irrelevant. Do anonymous posters on this board effect you mentally? Mental health advice, only your in control of who you give power to effect you mentally. I'm sure as hell not going to give that power to anyone who's anonymous on a meaningless message board. Your argument is a great reason a lot of people should entirely avoid social media. KF had this all right with his players.

Why would any player read this message board? I just want one reason. Your whole argument is irrelevant. Do anonymous posters on this board effect you mentally? Mental health advice, only your in control of who you give power to effect you mentally. I'm sure as hell not going to give that power to anyone who's anonymous on a meaningless message board. Your argument is a great reason a lot of people should entirely avoid social media. KF had this all right with his players.
I'm sure he doesn't read this message board, but every kid is on social media and there are assholes everywhere.

And giving someone mental health advice "only your (sic) in control of who you give power to effect (sic) you mentally" only demonstrates how little you understand mental health issues.

I'm sure he doesn't read this message board, but every kid is on social media and there are assholes everywhere.

And giving someone mental health advice "only your (sic) in control of who you give power to effect (sic) you mentally" only demonstrates how little you understand mental health issues.
Apparently there's a lot of medical professionals that know little about mental health then. I've taken that advice from different professionals and it's worked great but what do they know. Obviously you know best without actually telling me why that advice is wrong.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Apparently there's a lot of medical professionals that know little about mental health then. I've taken that advice from different professionals and it's worked great but what do they know. Obviously you know best without actually telling me why that advice is wrong.
Because you make it sound like they are simply making a conscious decision that can be corrected as if turning on a light switch. Most people are aware of what they are doing, they just have trouble changing. That is why, even with therapies and medications, people still suffer with mental health issues. It's not an easy fix. I'm no expert but I think your answer was simplistic and patronizing.

Generally nepostism doesn't work well. I lay this on Fran. Both sons came into D1 with serious deficiencies, the biggest being shooting form/ability. He found a way to make CM work though it really hurt Iowa as defenses sagged way off him. PM gained from having his brother on the team and now is lost. They both got longer leashes that most players would. The family also had a traumatic event. They as a family are very human. It's a bad situation for PM and I do feel bad for him.

He always impressed me as trying to play beyond his skill or ability. He needs to find outbwhere he fits into the team’s needs. He is not a Caitlyn Clark, but then who is?

What a moronic comment. And you don't think that reading 100s of messages about how much you suck/need to be benched would affect someone mentally. Big deal if you're not insulting his character, only his game. An insult is an insult.
Moronic? The message was about his character not him reading a message board and being offended. This is a fan message board, not a player board.
Moronic is thinking that pmac is checking in here to see what we think about his game. Apparently the only teams that are good have 100% fan positivity.
His game is insulting. Fran playing his kid over others while obviously not as good is insulting. Insulting is telling someone else they can’t have a valid opinion about basketball on a basketball board. What the F are you here for if you are mad that people complain about constantly accepting poor play for some but not others.

Generally nepostism doesn't work well. I lay this on Fran. Both sons came into D1 with serious deficiencies, the biggest being shooting form/ability. He found a way to make CM work though it really hurt Iowa as defenses sagged way off him. PM gained from having his brother on the team and now is lost. They both got longer leashes that most players would. The family also had a traumatic event. They as a family are very human. It's a bad situation for PM and I do feel bad for him.
They were both highly rated recruits. Fans would have been pissed if they didn’t come here.

Reactions: PJARMSTRONG
They were both highly rated recruits. Fans would have been pissed if they didn’t come here.
If both were in the portal today, what level would you expect them to go? Jack has a much better shot and quick about it. He like his brothers sees the court well. He seems to get better inside position than PM. Like PM he relies more on coordination than size and doesn't muscle up at the HS level. He seems to have some ability to block out.

For sure. PM shoots more of a push shot he probably was never taught correctly and was shooting way outside before he had the strength. Put another way. He shoots like most girls do not named Clark
Still amazes me that sons of a college coach could have such poor shooting fundamentals. Connor's were atrocious

Still amazes me that sons of a college coach could have such poor shooting fundamentals. Connor's were atrocious
Some kids are more coachable than others. My guess...and its only a silly guess is that mom guided him when he was young when dad was recruiting or with Connor. Jack is fine.

If both were in the portal today, what level would you expect them to go? Jack has a much better shot and quick about it. He like his brothers sees the court well. He seems to get better inside position than PM. Like PM he relies more on coordination than size and doesn't muscle up at the HS level. He seems to have some ability to block out.
Not sure of your point, most fans were happy they came to Iowa when they did. I’m guessing both would be mid major type portal recruits.

You’re right about Jack. The irony is that we probably won’t get the best of the McCaffery boys. Unless he comes back through the portal to play for his Dad. Which is possible.

Not sure of your point, most fans were happy they came to Iowa when they did. I’m guessing both would be mid major type portal recruits.

You’re right about Jack. The irony is that we probably won’t get the best of the McCaffery boys. Unless he comes back through the portal to play for his Dad. Which is possible.
No real point other than nepotism generally doesn't work. CM had some very good qualities but didn't develop across the board. PM has struggled. Without Garza and the Murrays this could have been a very dark period for Iowa.

Reactions: NI hawk
PMAC has to be wide open on 3s though.
It’s kind of interesting, I always thought PMac was a pretty decent jump shooter when he was set and open. He seldom takes contested or off balance shots which I suppose is a good thing, but if that’s the case, his career shooting numbers should be appreciably better than they are when taking that into consideration.

He’s just such a strange player to me, and I don’t know how he fits on this team.

It’s kind of interesting, I always thought PMac was a pretty decent jump shooter when he was set and open. He seldom takes contested or off balance shots which I suppose is a good thing, but if that’s the case, his career shooting numbers should be appreciably better than they are when taking that into consideration.

He’s just such a strange player to me, and I don’t know how he fits on this team.
PMac seldom takes off balance shots?!? Are you watching the same Iowa team?His signature shot is driving to the lane and shooting off one foot. He makes a decent percentage of them, even though they aren’t a high percentage shot.

Reactions: blhawk
The nepotism only works a couple of ways. Either be by far the best player(McDermott) or be a deep bench walk on player (Underwood and Izzos kids, etc). Anywhere in between usually ends badly. Even if the McCaffery boys have been well liked by recruits on their visits I wonder how many recruits passed up Iowa due to their presence. " I like Pat and Connor, but will I get a fair shot at playing time if I go there?" I'd be curious how much this has happened.

As far as their recruiting rankings, if they were named Smith and not McCaffery I doubt the ratings would be as high. Fran still may have recruited them because that's the level of player he usually gets, but they sure as hell wouldn't have played the minutes they have.

Reactions: NI hawk
The nepotism only works a couple of ways. Either be by far the best player(McDermott) or be a deep bench walk on player (Underwood and Izzos kids, etc). Anywhere in between usually ends badly. Even if the McCaffery boys have been well liked by recruits on their visits I wonder how many recruits passed up Iowa due to their presence. " I like Pat and Connor, but will I get a fair shot at playing time if I go there?" I'd be curious how much this has happened.

As far as their recruiting rankings, if they were named Smith and not McCaffery I doubt the ratings would be as high. Fran still may have recruited them because that's the level of player he usually gets, but they sure as hell wouldn't have played the minutes they have.
To the end of your first paragraph, I bet it’s happened a lot. Why go to Iowa and have to be behind the eight ball, if you don’t have to?!? Isn’t that why CJ Frederick left?

his lack of effort is contemptuous. It really bothers me. If he had any other name on the back he would be riding pine.

To the end of your first paragraph, I bet it’s happened a lot. Why go to Iowa and have to be behind the eight ball, if you don’t have to?!? Isn’t that why CJ Frederick left?

Are you asking if CJ left because of playing time? CJ started all 52 games that he was healthy for during his FR/SO year here and avg’d 26 mpg. I really doubt playing time was his number one concern.

Was CJ upset (or his uncle rather) that other players were playing behind Connor/Pat? IDK, but I’m guessing the main reason CJ left was the money UK offered and being a lot closer to home were more factors than anything else.

Oddly enough, he hasn’t seen that kind of playing time at Kentucky or Cincy.

Interestingly enough, Jack McCaffery, a top 100-ish recruit midway through his junior year, has only 3 scholarship offers — Bryant, Butler, and Wake Forest.

PMac seldom takes off balance shots?!? Are you watching the same Iowa team?His signature shot is driving to the lane and shooting off one foot. He makes a decent percentage of them, even though they aren’t a high percentage shot.
I was going to make a note specifically excluding that turnaround/fadeaway he does around the elbow but left it out.

My main point is that he gets plenty of open and in rhythm jumpers and doesn't make them at a high enough percentage to warrant the minutes or shot attempts. If he were taking more well-guarded shots or launching while coming around screens I would understand, but he generally pulls the trigger on quality shots.

It’s looking like Pat might not play again Friday. There has to be something mentally going on again with Pat. I wish for his health and for the better of the team he would just hang it up. Allow him to be around the team if that helps him but he doesn’t look like he’s having fun playing at all.

If PMac is reading message boards I'm surprised he's not locked up in a rubber room with all the other public figures that read public message boards about themselves!!

Reactions: kzoohawk80
Like last year, the team plays more effectively without him. Not a personal attack on him but an obvious result of his absence. Chemistry is a strange, fickle beast when it comes to team sports.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT