ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Fitzgerald Suspended...NOW FIRED....Has Hired a High-Profile Attorney to Fight Back

Boy, it's hard to get a job when you've been labeled a racist (or that you led an organization with racist allegations). Agree or disagree?

I am probably wrong but it seems like a lot of these guys who got 2nd chances at places like Alabama had alcohol & domestic violence issues....Mike Leach even got a 2nd chance....

Jacksonville (Urban Meyer), of course, quietly hired Chris Doyle, the public got wind of it & was outraged and threw a fit, and then Chris resigned. He's just one example. Not sure what Doyle is up to now....
Seems like it's an OL coach that was being labeled racist...not Fitz. The key question would be, is he still on staff or did Fitz get rid of him?
As long as black players are still being recruited and many are on the team and thriving the ongoing racism angle would seem a bit tough to push (not unlike at Iowa).

If we follow the same line of thinking as many that since Iowa (the university) settled, that meant there was guilt there, if Fitz fights back and the university settles with him and pays him out does that mean he was completely innocent of any negligence or conduct?

You’d have to ask the hog humper, he is apparently the authority on that….😆

Boy, it's hard to get a job when you've been labeled a racist (or that you led an organization with racist allegations). Agree or disagree?

I am probably wrong but it seems like a lot of these guys who got 2nd chances at places like Alabama had alcohol & domestic violence issues....Mike Leach even got a 2nd chance....Can you/anyone recall a former coach who was formerly accused of racism get a 2nd chance at a D-1 school?

Jacksonville (Urban Meyer), of course, quietly hired Chris Doyle, the public got wind of it & was outraged and threw a fit, and then Chris resigned. He's just one example. Not sure what Doyle is up to now....
I think he is right to try to clear his name and collect on his contract, as one would believe there is some amount in there the university would pay out to settle it. But his coaching career is probably over. The accusations are what people repeat and the world then believes. There is never a full and complete accounting of what each and everyone said and did. We are getting to a world where everyone needs to wear a bodycam.

I agree with you that what may be considered racist for one guy might be considered discipline from another. That just kind of comes with the situation and the people involved. It can be very touchy at times.

Boy, ever since the the summer of 2020 (the George Floyd murder, the riots that followed, the Iowa racial bias scandal), it seems like everything has become "touchy;" not just in sports but in everyday life.

Good lord you guys are pathetic.

glasshouse-stone.gif

says the Hog Loving Little Debbie fan....

While there are some allegations that are clearly a no-no.... I do find it hard to say everything is racist. such as, "We had to fit in by being white or acting white."

Sir, would you describe to me what being, or acting "white" is? -- How would that explanation also not be seen as a racial stereotype? What would the reaction be if I described or clarified what being black, or what "acting black" is?"
====

hell, pulling your pants up so your underwear and butt are not showing would probably be considered "acting white"

"The player said this phrase — along with “good, clean American fun” — was used often by coaches to reference how they wanted players to look and act. "

Yeah ok, so what? I fail to see how this is racist?

Agreed

Not everything a person does or says is because of racism. What I see often is, people will insert their own interpretation for the motive behind a behavior or comment, and that motive is often racism. The leap that the person's comment or request was based or motivated by racism could be completely untrue. The allegations, and the constant repetition of racism, racism, racism leads to a group think that snowballs past the point of no return. A lot of comments concluded were based in racism, but many of the examples (not all) may not be racist at all. Rememebr, some claim math is now racist.... so go figure that one out. With that said, there is still plenty legit examples (if true) to clean house at Northwestern.

good points

Reactions: cmhawks99
what about Diaz complaints is there that implicates Fitz ? He can’t control what comes out of 80 players mouths in private
The Diaz complaints related more to a few individuals, rather than the program. In fact, for years Diaz has touted on the tag line of his Twitter page that he played for Fitz at NU. In 2019, he tweeted about how much he admired Fitz's program at NU and frequently cites it to others as an example of the way programs should be run. That is why his quotes over the weekend were perplexing and perhaps out of context. Diaz is generally an advocate for mental health issues involving athletes.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Tenure of Big Ten Football coaches:

Kirk Ferentz - 1999 (25th year)
James Franklin - 2014 (10th year)
Jim Harbaugh - 2015 (9th year)
Tom Allen - 2017 (7th year)
P.J. Fleck - 2017 (7th year)

The mob claims another good man. Never cared for PFs anti Iowa rhetoric in his early years but like KF, there's never been a doubt he cares for his players and is a good man. But once the mob is riled up they don't stop until they get scalps. If KF was in a market like Chicago he'd have never survived 2020.

But, it appears Fitz knew the hazing was going on and never stopped it....Agree or disagree?

He can say he had no idea, but where there is smoke....

The OL coach at issue has not been on NU's staff since 2008. He now is on Michigan's staff.

That’s funny, or not, but we’ve had some UM fans over here talking smack about racism. In reality we have all been guilty of saying ignorant, inappropriate stuff.

And we all have prejudices we have to work through. It’s human nature!

But, it appears Fitz knew the hazing was going on and never stopped it....Agree or disagree?

He can say he had no idea, but where there is smoke....

Looks like any plausible deniability Fitz had...is rapidly evaporating. FYI, for those of you not familiar with Louie Vaccher, he seems pretty well-respected by NW fans. If he's saying this...it has some weight.

Reactions: Franisdaman
"Blatant racism" is now being alleged. So, now Pat is a racist?? Really incredible how this has all snow balled, when you think about it. And I would like to see more evidence of "blatant racism" than just this:

Another player, who asked to remain anonymous and played through the 2009 season, said racism on the team was often blatant. He alleged head coach Pat Fitzgerald would ask Black players and coaches to cut off longer hairstyles — including dreadlocks — so that they were more in line with what Fitzgerald called the “Wildcat Way.”
Everything is racist now - unless you are the victim and white. Having hair that hangs a foot or more out of your helmet is a safety concern to be honest. But again, it's the culture of today, wonder if they would call it racist if certain players decided to wear their game pants halfway down their backside and the coaches said "that's not our way".

Everything is racist now - unless you are the victim and white. Having hair that hangs a foot or more out of your helmet is a safety concern to be honest. But again, it's the culture of today, wonder if they would call it racist if certain players decided to wear their game pants halfway down their backside and the coaches said "that's not our way".
He's not getting fired for racism. You can put your outrage away.

Oh yeah! Well I'm not a lawyer and I say you're wrong!
Not sure if you're being fun or serious, but if it's the latter, then on what basis do you see Fitz having a case? My wife (no pic) is an HR professional with a law degree and based on the information we outsiders have available, she agrees that Fitz has nothing if the university decides more stringent disciplinary action is warranted.

Now, there may be more details that would make this agreement more like a contract and less like workplace disciplinary action, but as of now we lack any such information. Fitz may also have other grounds for a suit outside of this agreement.

My best guess, however, is that Fitz is angling for a settlement rather than leaving empty-handed, as he would if fired for cause.

Reactions: PNWHawk
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT