ADVERTISEMENT

Patrick McCaffery

Dan, if someone makes a post of 20 words...you respond with a post of 100+? Come on Dude...

Succinct, not verbose...

Reactions: AZmess
Who cares how many words are in his posts. At least he doesn't hit the same note on the piano each time. I would rather be informed or entertained with a hundred word post than suffer headache-inducing nonsense unskillfully reduced to twenty.

Just don't want to settle for Bohannon. We keep whiffing on PG recruits, and it's starting to get worrisome.

whiffing? you do realize that Charlie Moore has not committed to anyone.....can we at least wait til he decides where to go to school...and then by all means get worried if you like :rolleyes:

Reactions: BuckRussel
You have, what, 6,000 messages in a little over a year, Dan...?

10-20 a day? Please stop...

Teams that have more than one elite PG don't have them in the same class, most often...they season them and prepare them for future starting roles...
I'd like to know what you mean by "elite" PG.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Guys, the only thing I have going for me is like they say about a good comedian, "He's saying what we're all thinking."

We're all good fans. Let's keep rev around and when we have a bad year he can lead us all into doom and despair. With hope of course. ;)

Thanks all for the kind words.

Trying to think of more to make a long post....I know! (Part One) :eek:

whiffing? you do realize that Charlie Moore has not committed to anyone.....can we at least wait til he decides where to go to school...and then by all means get worried if you like :rolleyes:

That's fair. Just a gut feeling, I suppose. But we've seen this play out before and it's worrisome.

Reactions: AZmess
That's fair. Just a gut feeling, I suppose. But we've seen this play out before and it's worrisome.

I understand how you feel...other than Ulis (which was last year) I don't recall whiffing on someone else...but maybe my memory isn't the best..

Ulis going to Kentucky ...well when you are going up against Kentucky..well suffice to say ...it's going to be tough..

I understand how you feel...other than Ulis (which was last year) I don't recall whiffing on someone else...but maybe my memory isn't the best..

Ulis going to Kentucky ...well when you are going up against Kentucky..well suffice to say ...it's going to be tough..
Plus MSU was #2

Elite PG...

Puts pressure on the opposing teams in the full or half court game with his/her quickness, ability to distribute, breaking down defenses, penetrating, dribbling with both hands, ready to slash to the hoop, under control...but always working to get his teammates easy looks and baskets. On defense: disrupting, forcing the opposing PG to do what he is uncomfortable doing whether it be shooting, driving, right/left, etc. A leader who leads by example. Outside shooting ability is nice, but secondary to what he does lifting the other team members to be better and score easy baskets. Gives credit to his teammates during times of success, willingly takes responsibility for losses. Supports the coach and is the coach's rep on the court. He is elite if he is THE player that other teams have to plan for.

I think of Ronnie Lester, John Stockton, Magic, types...there are many other examples on different levels of play...

Elite PG...

Puts pressure on the opposing teams in the full or half court game with his/her quickness, ability to distribute, breaking down defenses, penetrating, dribbling with both hands, ready to slash to the hoop, under control...but always working to get his teammates easy looks and baskets. On defense: disrupting, forcing the opposing PG to do what he is uncomfortable doing whether it be shooting, driving, right/left, etc. A leader who leads by example. Outside shooting ability is nice, but secondary to what he does lifting the other team members to be better and score easy baskets. Gives credit to his teammates during times of success, willingly takes responsibility for losses. Supports the coach and is the coach's rep on the court. He is elite if he is THE player that other teams have to plan for.

I think of Ronnie Lester, John Stockton, Magic, types...there are many other examples on different levels of play...
In other words, you Iowa to be getting once-in-a-generation guys on a year-in, year-out basis

It's frustrating. I get it. Imagine what it's like for Fran. You've got to admire the guy's stamina. But he's slow and steady when it comes to team growth. Get on board with that or prepare to always be frustrated.

One can be hopeful and frustrated at the same time...

I like where Fran is going and admire his energy to push on, even when rejected by high level PG talent...

My point is...Iowa has lacked an elite PG, that can help the team rise above where it has been...to hope for improvement is what fans do, I would think...

My life doesn't revolve around Iowa sports...it is a game...played by amateurs...

I am looking forward to the season and watching the new talent in action...

I know everyone hates this word, But we just have to be patient, Fran is doing a great job overall with recruiting, A few short years ago we really weren't getting a sniff from highly touted out of state kids, Now we are making some serious inroads, I have full confidence as Fran continues to build the program he will have success landing more and more blue chip type players. As Iowa becomes an NCAA fixture, and upper big 10 regular (Which I think we are on the cusp of becoming) I think recruiting will move up another level.
Fran didn't go for a quick fix in rebuilding the program, It has taken time and patience, I think the rewards will be pretty nice in the next several years. I really like where the program is going, And I even believe in the not so distant future he may even land that ever elusive "elite PG".

Reactions: DanL53
Something that struck me from this week's podcast was when the Barnstormer's guys were talking about their level of competition. And I can't repeat it word for word but they were saying that with Iowa's small population it isn't easy putting together a successful AAU squad. But they put in their system and do what they must, and often find themselves beating teams with much higher regarded talent across the country.

Another team that has success doing that recently? Northern Iowa. Almost all two star ranked high school players and they found themselves up in the top 20, top 15, most of the year.

So do we want the Iowa team to have to accomplish the same? No, we want top ranked talent to flock to our doors. But that isn't going to happen so we need system basketball. Here comes the old recruit, retain, develop, but it is true. We've simply got to own the state, signing the very best. Without that, success at Iowa is over before it starts.

Then we want to get the best talent from outside the state that we can. And so far so good! We've made inroads into Chicago. There is certainly a pattern of coming closer and closer to the bigger name kids. And something that gets overlooked, we are signing more "first page" recruits like we did last year with Fleming and Hutton. Or the year before with Uhl. What do I mean by "first page"? Kids that McCaffery and staff have identified early and we get commits from before bigger schools start mucking about. I wouldn't even say they have to be early offers. Our recruiting of Moss and Williams went on a very long time before the offer came. But we stayed with them. "First page", we were in on them early and stayed with them even flirting with waiting too long because we don't panic and pull the offer switch until we are ready.

With the evaluation ability that our coaches have shown, I don't need to see several stars to get excited. Especially when coaches like Bo Ryan and Fred Hoiberg and Gregg Marshall are chasing the same kids. (At least one for each of these guys: Hutton, Moss, Kriener.)

Keep winning and the day will come our influence in other states, or our footprint as I like to call it, will keep expanding.

Then we retain these kids. And looking at our current roster has me thinking if we do sign Moore and Cook who is going to be player #12, 13? That's one deep team! And I suspect maybe overkill where we lose someone or two in the long run. And that effects:

Develop. I'm looking forward to Anthony Clemmons and his production as a senior. Guys sticking around is good for team unity.

McCaffery has talked about doing it, "The right way". Anyone who thinks all coaches do that should reconsider. It's a dirty business out there. This is just my own taste, others can disagree, but when I know that since we replaced Coach Davis for the dream of great success, we've struggled. And in the meantime, about that time, a little before or after, Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State....they were all caught having broken rules at some level.

When we beat those teams, it is extra special to me. It just means more.

We're riding a high old time right now as Hawkeye basketball fans. I would encourage that this "hope" of top five in the nation programs and such is ok, but not at the expense of becoming unhappy with the hardworking players that wanted to be Hawkeyes in the first place. They are our team, not some pie in the sky if only types that end up somewhere else.

Bottom line, for me, we're competitive again, we're improving, and we're respectfully doing things by the book. How high we go before we level off there is no telling. But I feel no dissatisfaction at all. And a reminder, this thread was started talking about Patrick McCaffery....I think that says a lot. A class of 2019 coaches kid turning heads nationally. What a good ride we are on!

I enjoy optimism as much as the next guy. I'm just waiting for Iowa to pop its cherry on getting an elite out-of-state recruit. We're so close.

The fact that we haven't yet, especially for next year when we could basically promise a PG a starting spot, confuses the hell out of me. Maybe we shouldn't have offered Williams.

Gosh, that's a while ago...Seems as if Woolridge and BJ weren't quintessential PGs...more combo types better at shooting than dishing?...I don't know for sure...nice players...glad we had them.

What is your view of them?

Wow...Dad...that's a beefy post...

It is also fortuitous that Fran and Margaret McCaffery elected to procreate well in advance of his application for the Iowa position.

Furthermore, that their offspring contained an extra "Y" chromosome at birth.

Further still, that the McCaffery offspring DNA contained instructions to grow above 6 1/2 feet while retaining a wide range of advanced basketball skills unknown to lesser born mortals of the same gender.

Yes, for sure, that was a very wise and forward looking recruiting strategy.

Yeah I don't mind rev, would you consider Woolridge and BJ as elite point guards?

Before BJ got to Iowa or after? .....course Andre transferred in from Nebraska... the word "elite" is being tossed around like someone actually knew who was and who wasn't an elite PG....oh there you go...you can always get your rankings.

I know this much.....no one knew Ronnie Lester or thought of him as an "elite" PG before he got to Iowa...Lute grabbed him right underneath Kentucky nose...he "out" recruited them.

In todays environment with high school kids playing a lot of summer AAU ball...its not a secret anymore who has talent (and if it is it wont be for very long).

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Before BJ got to Iowa or after? .....course Andre transferred in from Nebraska... the word "elite" is being tossed around like someone actually knew who was and who wasn't an elite PG....oh there you go...you can always get your rankings.

I know this much.....no one knew Ronnie Lester or thought of him as an "elite" PG before he got to Iowa...Lute grabbed him right underneath Kentucky nose...he "out" recruited them.

In todays environment with high school kids playing a lot of summer AAU ball...its not a secret anymore who has talent (and if it is it wont be for very long).
I listened to the new Hawkeye Report podcast this morning and Tom had the Iowa Barnstormers AAU coaches on the segment for an interview. They both said that Patrick McCaffery is the best 8th grader they have ever had in the program and that if he continues to develop he will be a top 10-25 kid in his class and there is a very good possibility that he could end up a McDonald's All-American. He is already 6'7 and they think he will grow a few more inches. He is a very skilled wing player. That is some pretty exciting stuff.

nm

Yeah, we all know that you Clone fans hate hype. How are you enjoying those last two NCAA Championship trophies? Hope you have room in the case for the third straight this year.

Clone? LOL. Enjoying about the same u r enjoying your last two ncaa trophies.

Bohannon is so good, he has scholarship offers from who? Bo so far isn't interested in this Bohannon (a Wisky pipeline family). He is exactly what Iowa needs, as a walk on.

Bohannon is so good, he has scholarship offers from who? Bo so far isn't interested in this Bohannon (a Wisky pipeline family). He is exactly what Iowa needs, as a walk on.

You know very little, and are going to be disappointed.

You know very little, and are going to be disappointed.
I would agree with this. I think Bohannon will be a nice player but a step below the likes of Gessell and Horner. IMO Ronnie Lester is the only "elite" point guard Iowa has has in the last 30+ years. Most of them good point guards but better suited as shooting guards. I guess it all comes down to the definition of "elite". Mine would be: super quick, able to handle and finish will both hands equally,able to shoot out to 3 range, strong on ball defense, slick passing skills and able to penetrate almost at will. Did I miss anything? This appears to be Moore. Definitely not Bohannon. Of course there's only so many of this kind of player to go around. JMO

I would agree with this. I think Bohannon will be a nice player but a step below the likes of Gessell and Horner. IMO Ronnie Lester is the only "elite" point guard Iowa has has in the last 30+ years. Most of them good point guards but better suited as shooting guards. I guess it all comes down to the definition of "elite". Mine would be: super quick, able to handle and finish will both hands equally,able to shoot out to 3 range, strong on ball defense, slick passing skills and able to penetrate almost at will. Did I miss anything? This appears to be Moore. Definitely not Bohannon. Of course there's only so many of this kind of player to go around. JMO

Possibly add "and an excellent FT shooter and a high basketball IQ."

Yes, Ronnie Lester was a once in a generation or so point guard.

Reactions: DanL53
I'd be happy to have a PG who can get penetration against teams like MSU and dish it, defend well against the same, and be a threat out to 22 feet so teams don't sag off of him. That's a lot, but it's not the world. Gesell gets a 6/10 on all of those things and a 10/10 on being gritty, but we need an 8/10 to be special.

I'm not sure how well Conor would do on those either, as he's probably only a 5/10 on the shooting part, a 9/10 on the passing part and he does have good size which can be used to some advantage on defense, getting shots off and passing over people, but I'm not sure how special his quickness is in terms of getting penetration and defending against the same. He sounds like a slightly better Gesell but perhaps still falling short of the 3 aspects above. His shooting could continue to improve, and he's got SG size and PG reads/passing, but I'm not familiar with his quickness and lateral movement on defense. Anyone seen him in person against MSU or OSU type guards? I'm guessing he'd be as good or better than Lohaus or Bohannon, though, who are good in their own right.

That is certainly a nice list of qualities to have, but Steph Curry used up his eligibility :)
Jordan's game has improved and I think he will be as good as the two you listed with potential to pass them. For those of you ready to jump on me, note I said potential please. He is a very good distributor, and when needed can score. I'm not saying he'll show up day 1 and be in the flow, but the kid can certainly play and I trust Fran, and the other coaches that wanted him, know what he'll be able to grow in to over the 4 years he'll have in front of him. It will be fun to watch him in the black and gold.

Andre Woolridge? 6' tall, third-team AA as a senior, 1st team All-Big Ten.
BJ Armstrong? 6'2", played on great IA teams but still was a standout. First-round draft choice, All-star as an NBA player.
They are the next best thing to Ronnie in modern IA Men's Basketball and both pretty darn good. I would call those two "elite" players.

Gosh, that's a while ago...Seems as if Woolridge and BJ weren't quintessential PGs...more combo types better at shooting than dishing?...I don't know for sure...nice players...glad we had them.

What is your view of them?

Wow...Dad...that's a beefy post...

Are you kidding? Do you know who the only player to lead the conference in points and assists in the same season is?

Reactions: Tagliboo
BJ, Ronnie and Andre were ALL elite PG's. I am not comparing Jordan Bohannon or Charlie Moore to any of them. I'm thinking Jordan will be an excellent Hawkeye but not an elite PG.

BJ, Ronnie and Andre were ALL elite PG's. I am not comparing Jordan Bohannon or Charlie Moore to any of them. I'm thinking Jordan will be an excellent Hawkeye but not an elite PG.

Agreed. If it comes to an offer to Bohannon I suspect the reason will be to have a backup point guard behind Williams and C. McCaffery. Not all that bad a thing when one considers we can't play thirteen guys a game.

Having a player from Marion that hopefully would be satisfied to be a Hawkeye and contribute where he can, without transferring? I could live with that.

Agreed. I was responding to HawksRMe's assertion that Ronnie Lester was the only elite Hawk PG in the last 30+ years. Although I previously said that I did not think that IA would offer Bohannon a scholarship, I would trust whatever McC decides to do. I do believe that Moore would be perfect for what McC is doing at Iowa and would give Iowa a dimension that they don't already have. I don't think that Bohannon offers that.

ADVERTISEMENT