ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Chryst/Wisconsin

Greenway4Prez

HR Legend
Jan 10, 2005
I feel like Wisconsin is on a slow downward trajectory. The OL play just hasn’t been the same the last few years, they were never great at QB, but they were always smart. The talent at WR is below average.

The bones of the defense will always be very good as long as Leonhard is there, but they’ve lost so many guys to the NFL the last few years and I think it’s caught up to them this season.

First year with a new OC, so I’m sure there are some growing pains, but this is the third year in a row now where they just look…different.

Discuss. Or not, that’s fine too.

I feel like Wisconsin is on a slow downward trajectory. The OL play just hasn’t been the same the last few years, they were never great at QB, but they were always smart. The talent at WR is below average.

The bones of the defense will always be very good as long as Leonhard is there, but they’ve lost so many guys to the NFL the last few years and I think it’s caught up to them this season.

First year with a new OC, so I’m sure there are some growing pains, but this is the third year in a row now where they just look…different.

Hopefully that is slow downward trajectory is the case. Too many of the points re: offense are eerily similar to our own favorite team.

Other than a few outlier seasons the Badgers have historically been structured to operate with a run first offense,.. Multiple Heisman quality running backs paired with an average to serviceable quarterback and the occasional outlier wide receiver with talent, but for the most part a very run reliant offense,.. They seem to have moved away from that formula,.. Not sure if it's by design or the result of recruiting whiffs.

Reactions: hawkdave007

Over the last 10 years Wisconsin has been the benchmark program in the West. I will write them and Chryst off at the same time you’re willing to write Iowa and KF off.

Let’s be reasonable here. They lost at home to Washington State. We lost at home to a lesser opponent in Iowa State. They lost to one of the nation’s very best teams in Ohio State in Columbus. May be no worse of a loss than we will suffer there this year.

Like Iowa, they have a stellar DC in Leonhard. As long as he’s there that side of the ball will remain strong the majority of the time.

Let’s see where this season ends up for them before we start saying their demise has begun. Had they not been upset in their final game last year against MN they’d have won the West again.

Over the last 10 years Wisconsin has been the benchmark program in the West. I will write them and Chryst off at the same time you’re willing to write Iowa and KF off.

Let’s be reasonable here. They lost at home to Washington State. We lost at home to a lesser opponent in Iowa State. They lost to one of the nation’s very best teams in Ohio State in Columbus. May be no worse of a loss than we will suffer there this year.

Like Iowa, they have a stellar DC in Leonhard. As long as he’s there that side of the ball will remain strong the majority of the time.

Let’s see where this season ends up for them before we start saying their demise has begun. Had they not been upset in their final game last year against MN they’d have run the West again.
"Let's see where the season ends up" LOL. That isn't what you all are doing for Iowa.

Ohio State is really good, but it’s been awhile since I’ve seen Wisconsin gutted like that. They don’t look the same as they did a few years ago. They have their hands full with Illinois this Saturday
I know this thread is about Wisconsin, but Illinois has a tremendous chance in their next 2 games to make a monster statement in games against us and Wisconsin. I think the Illini have a legitimate shot in both.

since Barry left they have slowly declined. Coincidence? Chryst better pray Leonard doesn’t leave for a HC job anytime soon.
Yeah, those 3 Rose Bowls Bielema took them to didn’t mean much. Plus Bielema and Chryst have both done something better against Iowa than Barry did- and that’s kick Iowas ass.

Guys...I'd be careful about predicting the demise of Wisky. They have the best RB in the country and size...they usually get better.

Iowa needs to get it's DL healthy. I'm concerned about size upfront right now. VanNess is an undersized DT...and so it Shannon really...and so is Graves who got alot of minutes. We are going to need some size against Minnesota and Wisconsin to counteract their size. We are deep, but we need Pittman to get more minutes over the next few games...he hasn't looked too bad in my opinion. We can't allow Van Ness and Logan Lee to get gassed. It would be great to have Van Ness on the edge too.

Im pretty sure the OP understands where Iowa is this year. He's just making an observation about Wisconsin. This is a college football board and it's ok to discuss college football
THANK YOU.

Good Lord, I’m not talking shit, I’m not spiking a football, and I don’t need Iowa to be amazing to merely DISCUSS a rival/conference foe. I’m a CFB fan above being an Iowa fan.

From 2013-2017, Wisconsin went 54-14, a winning rate of 79%.

Since then, they’re 33-18, a winning rate of 65%. 66% (29-15) if you take out the COVID year. That’s not a small drop-off.

I’m not talking about comparing us and Wisconsin. I’m talking about the Badgers and what I see, and what the records say.

THANK YOU.

Good Lord, I’m not talking shit, I’m not spiking a football, and I don’t need Iowa to be amazing to merely DISCUSS a rival/conference foe. I’m a CFB fan above being an Iowa fan.

Since then, they’re 33-18, a winning rate of 65%. 66% (29-15) if you take out the COVID year. That’s not a small drop-off.

I’m not talking about comparing us and Wisconsin. I’m talking about the Badgers and what I see, and what the records say.
The issue you is some brought opinions strong that you didn’t like hearing.

THANK YOU.

And one could counter too that Iowa has lost 5 of their last 10 games- that is something Badger fans might see and say Iowa is in a decline.

Jon Budmayr leaving in 2021 may have something to do with it. I'm hoping for overall improvement from Iowa's QBs, I mean really hoping and I'll wait until the end of the season before I make that observation.

wisky does look to have fallen off some. Of late they are also struggling with a not particularly good qb who hasn't been able to meet their usual game manager qb standards. O-line also appears to be down for them this year.
The comment above I found the most interesting is regarding the illini and the opportunity they have. Beating Iowa wouldn't be all that impressive this year given where the Hawks are at, but it would still be a significant win for them. What would mean even more is if they could take out wisky. The only game on their schedule that seems unwinnable is against um. I'm not saying they've arrived. Far from it. But if Bret wants to make a statement that illini football is back from the dead, he's got the opportunities in front of him this year.

The issue you is some brought opinions strong that you didn’t like hearing.
I’m going to try to translate this, tell me if I’m wrong:

“The issue is some brought strong opinions that you didn’t like hearing.”

The only opinion I have argued is this notion that we can’t talk about Wisconsin as long as they’re better than us or have scoreboard. That’s a really silly standard. I have not actually responded or argued with any post, so I’m not even really sure what I allegedly don’t like hearing.

And one could counter too that Iowa has lost 5 of their last 10 games- that is something Badger fans might see and say Iowa is in a decline.
Sure, I mean, I think as long as our offense continues to be stuck in the bottom 10% of the country that we will decline.

Reactions: jo12208 and frydaze
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT