ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Finebaum: FSU is a dumpster fire, no way Stoops takes the job

THE_DEVIL

HR King
Aug 16, 2005
Hell, Michigan
www.livecoinwatch.com
Florida State is in need of a new head coach after firing Willie Taggart on Sunday. The Seminoles have been linked to several big-name coaches, including Bob Stoops.

Stoops, who retired from Oklahoma in 2017, has since gotten back into coaching, taking a job with the XFL. However, he continues to be mentioned for college football jobs, including the Florida State gig.

ESPN’s Paul Finebaum knows Florida State fans would love a Stoops hire, but he doesn’t see it happening. He believes there’s only one job Stoops would come back for.

Notre Dame.

“People in Tallahassee maintain their No.1 target is Bob Stoops, but I don’t think they can get Bob Stoops,” Finebaum said this morning. “He walked away from Oklahoma and I’m told the only job he’d really be interested in is Notre Dame. He’s coaching in the XFL. I just can not imagine why he would want to go what is clearly — sometimes we use this phrase loosely, but not here — Florida State is an absolute dumpster fire.

“Why Bob Stoops would want anything to do with that place I don know. They are losing recruits. They are being mismanaged from the top down. Their facilities are subpar. I think a smart coach would be wise to say, ‘you know what? I could do much better than FSU.’ And I believe Bob Stoops is a very smart coach.”
Sources have told The Spun that Florida State desperately wants to make a “splash” with this hire and names like Stoops and Brian Kelly would certainly fit that category. https://thespun.com/college-footbal...YZ_cr6G6NwbCxdplq14YHPgOrU_J9wf-JfikZTIslwzUg

Finebaum isn't unbiased, but there's some kernels of truth here. FSU is not a healthy FB program at this point. Stoops might be the #1 candidate for FSU anyway.

People covering this have stated that FSU is currently an administrative mess. Is that true? What's going on there if true?

Finebaum is one of the more idiotic commentators out there. If he's not talking about Alabama, he's just quoting other less than reputable sources.

With that said there are some real issues with the team that could keep someone like Stoops or other coaches away.
The Boosters are still playing by an old playbook and have been resistant to modernization.
Both the President and the AD will be gone in a year or so. Coaches don't like to come in and not know who their bosses are going to be.
There's some major deficiencies on the O-Line, QB, and DBs but any coach worth their salt could fix that quickly.
There are some culture issues, but again, a good coach can fix that.

So the only real issues I see are with the changing of the President and AD soon. The rest is fairly inconsequential. And if you're Bob Stoops, I don't think you're too concerned about who comes in next as you'll essentially write your own contract that keeps that protected.

I'm honestly not sure what established coach would truly want the FSU job right now. I know Taggert wasn't doing great, but firing him in just his 2nd year? He inherited a discombobulated roster to begin with. It's been documented that Jimbo gave way too much leeway to the players following their national championship, so the 1st job for any coach there will be to re-establish the culture there. Still some talent on the roster, tho not as much as we might think and Clemson is clearly top dog for now.

Thanks to the early signing period issues, I think we're going to start seeing more and more coaches fired mid-season. If you wait until the season is over it makes it very difficult to get a coaching staff together and recruit for that December class. You're pretty much going to punt on that signing period if you don't fire coaches earlier.

If we already knew he was gone, there's no real benefit in waiting until the end of the season. Now we might be able to name a coach early and allow them to go ahead and get started on that recruiting class.

Where would you guys rank the football facilities compared to other schools you play?

The father of a high end recruit who went to all of the big name (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State) had us ranked fifth in facilities. He had us behind only Clemson, Oregon, Alabama, and Tennessee . He said when they were presented with designs of the new football only facility that’ll be finished in a year or so that it would bump us to fourth ahead Tennessee. That’s the recruit’s father’s opinion not mine.

As for my opinion, we definitely have the best facilities in the state miles ahead of Miami, UCF, USF, FAU and FIU and slightly but definitely better than UF. For the National ranking I’d definitely have us behind Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas A&M until the football only facility is built and on par with Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, LSU and Michigan. I wouldn’t really argue with us being placed anywhere from 7th through 14th until our new facility is up. That’s hardly some ramshackle dumpsterfire of facilities. Of course that would only have us 5th through 9th in the SEC. But we’re clearly 2nd in the ACC ahead of Notre Dame and UNC by a wide margin and would be 2nd in the PAC, 1st-3rd in the Big 12 and 1st-3rd in the Big Ten. And there’s no G5 team that comes close to us.

It was Jimbo's camp that originally floated the idea that FSU facilities are subpar and for some reason that stigma continues on. Clemson is far and away better with their facilities but among the other ACC schools FSU is a clear second.

Reactions: Finance85
Thanks to the early signing period issues, I think we're going to start seeing more and more coaches fired mid-season. If you wait until the season is over it makes it very difficult to get a coaching staff together and recruit for that December class. You're pretty much going to punt on that signing period if you don't fire coaches earlier.

If we already knew he was gone, there's no real benefit in waiting until the end of the season. Now we might be able to name a coach early and allow them to go ahead and get started on that recruiting class.
I agree. It's unfortunate, but that is the college world we live in. Best of luck to Willie, but the decision to let him go now had to be made. Oh, and to hell with dumbass Finebaum.

It was Jimbo's camp that originally floated the idea that FSU facilities are subpar and for some reason that stigma continues on. Clemson is far and away better with their facilities but among the other ACC schools FSU is a clear second.
The main thing we lack is a new football only facility. It is in the works.

Did Golic and Wingo have Ken "The Hawk" Harrelson on next to discuss the facilities at Wrigley and the health of the Cubs organization?

I'm honestly not sure what established coach would truly want the FSU job right now. I know Taggert wasn't doing great, but firing him in just his 2nd year? He inherited a discombobulated roster to begin with. It's been documented that Jimbo gave way too much leeway to the players following their national championship, so the 1st job for any coach there will be to re-establish the culture there. Still some talent on the roster, tho not as much as we might think and Clemson is clearly top dog for now.

There are scores of coaches who would kill for a chance to coach at FSU. Look, the last three years have been tough. We had a coach go through a midlife crisis and walk out on us and we made a real bad hire and missed our first bowl game since the 70s last year. But cut us some slack! We were beating Michigan's ass in a 10 win season in 2016. We had a 29 game winning streak snapped in January 2015. The facilities are there. The stadium is there. The brand name is still there and waiting. The hot coeds are still there.

And most importantly, being located near the intersection of Florida, Georgia and Alabama the most fertile recruiting grounds of the entire US is and will always be right there.

The father of a high end recruit who went to all of the big name (Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State) had us ranked fifth in facilities. He had us behind only Clemson, Oregon, Alabama, and Tennessee . He said when they were presented with designs of the new football only facility that’ll be finished in a year or so that it would bump us to fourth ahead Tennessee. That’s the recruit’s father’s opinion not mine.

As for my opinion, we definitely have the best facilities in the state miles ahead of Miami, UCF, USF, FAU and FIU and slightly but definitely better than UF. For the National ranking I’d definitely have us behind Clemson, Alabama, Tennessee, Oregon, South Carolina, and Texas A&M until the football only facility is built and on par with Georgia, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, LSU and Michigan. I wouldn’t really argue with us being placed anywhere from 7th through 14th until our new facility is up. That’s hardly some ramshackle dumpsterfire of facilities. Of course that would only have us 5th through 9th in the SEC. But we’re clearly 2nd in the ACC ahead of Notre Dame and UNC by a wide margin and would be 2nd in the PAC, 1st-3rd in the Big 12 and 1st-3rd in the Big Ten. And there’s no G5 team that comes close to us.

Notre Dame just put the finishing touches on a football only facility too. I was on campus when it was under construction. Huge, and very nice.

Facilities, facilities. It's all bells and whistles. I agree with an earlier poster that said there is a point of diminishing returns. The bottom line is does the program have the adequate facilities and space it needs to be a successful program and does this program have a history of developing and sending players to the NFL. When you start adding bells and whistles like an iPod dock or personal nap area or other crap it is just too much. In fact, I could argue that too much fluff can result in pampered, soft, and entitled players.

Rocky trained in a sh!thole gym.

There are scores of coaches who would kill for a chance to coach at FSU. Look, the last three years have been tough. We had a coach go through a midlife crisis and walk out on us and we made a real bad hire and missed our first bowl game since the 70s last year. But cut us some slack! We were beating Michigan's ass in a 10 win season in 2016. We had a 29 game winning streak snapped in January 2015. The facilities are there. The stadium is there. The brand name is still there and waiting. The hot coeds are still there.

And most importantly, being located near the intersection of Florida, Georgia and Alabama the most fertile recruiting grounds of the entire US is and will always be right there.

FSU hasn't been the same since Winson's sophomore year. Part of the reason Jimbo went to A&M was because he saw this coming, similar to Urban saw the bill coming due at Florida when he "retired."

I agree that lots of coaches will be interested, but I'm not sure that list is as long as you think. They just fired a coach who was in just his 2nd year. That's going to give some coaches pause if FSU comes calling. You have to be at least somewhat patient. I have no idea how good/bad a coach Taggert is. He did well at the mid-major level, had an okay 1st season at Oregon before FSU came open and he wanted to come home.

I'm not sure the brand name is there as much as you think either. Florida hasn't been the same since Urban, Miami hasn't been the same since 2002. That precipice is a lot closer than most fans realize. I'll be fascinated to see what happens to 'Bama after Saban leaves.

I'm very curious to see who FSU ends up with. At first glance, I'm not sure there are that many obvious suspects if you're looking at high major programs. Franklin at PSU? Maybe Riley from OU? Franklin might be my first choice if I'm FSU.

Reactions: mnole03
FSU hasn't been the same since Winson's sophomore year. Part of the reason Jimbo went to A&M was because he saw this coming, similar to Urban saw the bill coming due at Florida when he "retired."

I agree that lots of coaches will be interested, but I'm not sure that list is as long as you think. They just fired a coach who was in just his 2nd year. That's going to give some coaches pause if FSU comes calling. You have to be at least somewhat patient. I have no idea how good/bad a coach Taggert is. He did well at the mid-major level, had an okay 1st season at Oregon before FSU came open and he wanted to come home.

I'm not sure the brand name is there as much as you think either. Florida hasn't been the same since Urban, Miami hasn't been the same since 2002. That precipice is a lot closer than most fans realize. I'll be fascinated to see what happens to 'Bama after Saban leaves.

I'm very curious to see who FSU ends up with. At first glance, I'm not sure there are that many obvious suspects if you're looking at high major programs. Franklin at PSU? Maybe Riley from OU? Franklin might be my first choice if I'm FSU.

Jimbo saw this coming because Jimbo created this. His wife had a very, very public affair, and he was never the same afterwards. He became angry, he began fighting with administration over every little detail, and he quit putting in the work on recruiting as they did those first two years. I mean Hell, the offensive line was losing recruits left and right, and they all kept publicly saying they were leaving because they hated his coach and he didn't care. Everyone knew he needed to fire that guy, but he refused to.

Jimbo created a toxic culture by coddling Winston and letting star players get away with murder, he didn't focus on class and so our graduation rates were so low we were close to being in trouble with the NCAA (Something Willy has helped to fix), and he missed on every single quarterback he recruited outside of Winston.

Let's not pretend like we haven't been hauling in top ten classes and that recruits don't want to play at FSU. It's ridiculous to pretend like it's not still a brand that can sell. It's just that the last few years of Jimbo's career went spiraling downhill because he quit on the school and Willie was a disaster who underestimated the problems he was walking into.

FSU can and will still compete. Schools go through down years and then they move back. Are we Alabama? No. But we're still a top 15 program.

Lol, why not quote hannity - just as reliable a source.
No kidding...Paul is the biggest SEC douche bag of them all.

paul-finebaum-looks-likes-the-human-incarnation-of-the-ncaa-2064833.png

Notre Dame just put the finishing touches on a football only facility too. I was on campus when it was under construction. Huge, and very nice.

Facilities, facilities. It's all bells and whistles. I agree with an earlier poster that said there is a point of diminishing returns. The bottom line is does the program have the adequate facilities and space it needs to be a successful program and does this program have a history of developing and sending players to the NFL. When you start adding bells and whistles like an iPod dock or personal nap area or other crap it is just too much. In fact, I could argue that too much fluff can result in pampered, soft, and entitled players.

Rocky trained in a sh!thole gym.

I’m not talking about an indoor practice facility like Notre Dame just got around to completing. We’ve had a full 100+ yard indoor facility since 2013.

cb055576-14-082rl-001-e1500648485665-1024x683.jpg

Picture4-sfw.jpg

Notre Dame and Florida are just now catching up to what we did in 2013 with the climate controlled full indoor football facility connected to our two full turf outdoor practice fields.

What I was talking about is a brand new $60 million dollar facility to be built right next to the practice fields which will be a meeting, training and dining hall for football players only.

Originally called Jimbo’s Dreamhouse

6a00d83451bda469e2014e89afdc99970d-600wi

They’ve changed the exterior and moved it’s location so that it’s back to two side by side outdoor football fields but it’s essentially the same thing Jimbo was bitching about wanting.

Outside.jpeg

5aad4209-e54e-4fa9-a682-25f53fbf8e52-Weight_Room.jpg

a8e8f4202a0944389de1c4791d37ba91.jpg

da1c114a-9ec2-4759-8cab-b1a753659578-LARGE_TEAM_MEETING_ROOM.jpg

And an awesome hydrotherapy room both with freezing cold and scalding hot temps.

cbbde942-f07e-4225-8dd9-d97bc871f588-Hydrotherapy.jpg

cc496174-0ade-419e-8d0a-5710dc1eaf7f-944CF8AA-8967-48B5-BD9F-CD16F216A8AA.jpeg

And that will be only for football players unlike Notre Dame’s which shares its indoor field with two soccer teams and shares its other facilities with other sports.

Right now, FSU does have shared space with other sports in addition to the indoor football field and outdoor fields that are its alone, but they’re hardly terrible.

This is what according to Small Slimebaum are “dumpsterfire” “secondrate facilities”.

florida-state-collegiate-excel-gal2.jpg

DQPAh5gVAAAozxj

DQPAh5gVQAAwQ84

DQPAh5pVoAAh0xU

703d39f623517204bce3dce9da72654c.jpg

30bbb2eb030ec92714633b5e8cdf0640.jpg

fac-weightroom1.jpg

BA7l6GCCYAADakn.jpg

I mean FFS, here’s our tight end room. For tight ends! Any FSU fan will tell you we barely even know tight ends exist and they get this.

b179afc35a27a8ff7a822ddb693e9aa7.jpg

tr-12.jpg

Last edited:
Facilities are such a lame excuse for any coach. FSU has 3 titles in a freaking erector set covered with bricks. Even in the arms race we’ve been in for the last 10+ years doesn’t change that since we won in ‘13 without all this facilities BS. Great players win and players will come to FSU because of the built in advantages. They just need a coach to get them there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT