ADVERTISEMENT

Paul Rhoads question for ISU fans

Quite a few ISU fans feel that way. I understand it, but I don't agree. Everybody wishes Mac had been more successful. Nobody wanted him replaced. He did great things for ISU both on and off the field. But while everybody liked him and appreciated what he had done, it became too obvious that the football program's future was not good. There was not even any point in watching ISU play ranked teams -- Mac was 3-40 against them -- and we lost more than our share of tossups. When we had a chance to do something, when the Big XII North was far down, we pissed it down our leg. We couldn't win close games. The 2005 season, his next-to-last, the schedule was weak. We lost three games in overtime, then lost the bowl game by 3 points. Attendance, ticket sales, contributions all were headed down with no sign of recovery. When we went 4-8 the next year, there wasn't much else Pollard could do.
In many ways the attitude in Mac's last year was similar to the complaints you heard from Hawkeye fans prior to this season. However it feels like, after two nice wins, that Hawkeye fans are back on board. Cyclone fans never had anything to get them back.

I was very impressed with Tucker. He is legit. But, like you said, he goes out and the entire ISU defense is swiss cheese.

Lack of depth and terrible o-line play will be Rhoads undoing at ISU. He actually has some legit athletes over the past few years.
I'm not sure I buy that lack of depth excuse this year. Losing Tucker hurt, no doubt. But I thought the defense still played fairly well with the exception of a few big plays. The big runs had many missed tackles with linebackers taking bad angles. The big plays were largely against backups. The long pass against Cotton was not bad coverage, but was a perfectly executed play.

I'm not sure I buy that lack of depth excuse this year. Losing Tucker hurt, no doubt. But I thought the defense still played fairly well with the exception of a few big plays. The big runs had many missed tackles with linebackers taking bad angles. The big plays were largely against backups. The long pass against Cotton was not bad coverage, but was a perfectly executed play.
Didn't you guys lose a 2nd team DT right before the opening game? Losing Tucker was a huge blow. Being forced to play Trent and Leath ( just recently arrived on campus and is woefully out of gameday shape) had a hand in there poor performance in the second half. Jay Jones (another new guy) blew some coverages and was out of place quite a bit. The reason these new guys are being forced to play was due to injuries (Tucker) and due to terrible recruiting in the past. They, at this time, lack quality depth at a few positions.

I have no problem with is emotion after the game, I actually think its kind of cool that he did it. I mean they just upset Nebbie I think and he was pumped up.

The antics on the sideline however need to stop. Him and Pollard did no favors by lashing out about the officiating in the Big XII. All that did was make the conference upset and also probably piss some officials off because they were basically calling them out saying they got hosed. No one likes to hear that. He needs to stop the "begging" and the "falling on the ground" crap and just argue with the call. No need to wave your arms around and act like a fool.

I personally hope he can turn it around and they make a bowl game. The addition to the stadium is sweet and I would like to see if filled. I support the clones and cheer for them in every game (except vs Iowa & UNI). Outside of that I want nothing but success for them.

IF they were to fire Rhodes, who would they target to come coach the Clones??
They should look at somebody that had been a HC before in an extremely difficult place that did a pretty good job. Somebody like former USF HC-Jim Leavitt. He built the USF program up from nothing. He spent the decade of the 80's coaching in Iowa. He is currently in his second stop (Colorado DC) as he tries to erase the black mark on his record. He had been working for Harbaugh with the Niners. His sideline demeanor is much more animated than PR's, though. Still think he would be a good hire for the Clones. When is the last time ISU hired a head football coach that had previously been a HC? Walden?

Didn't you guys lose a 2nd team DT right before the opening game? Losing Tucker was a huge blow. Being forced to play Trent and Leath ( just recently arrived on campus and is woefully out of gameday shape) had a hand in there poor performance in the second half. Jay Jones (another new guy) blew some coverages and was out of place quite a bit. The reason these new guys are being forced to play was due to injuries (Tucker) and due to terrible recruiting in the past. They, at this time, lack quality depth at a few positions.
I think a DT quit, but I think it was because he moved down the depth chart and wasn't going to see the field much. We lost the backup center the 3rd day of fall camp. We also lost Daniel Burton, who was supposed to be a big deal on the offensive line, but he should be back this week. Two other players are out for this week. We are thin on the offensive line but pretty deep most other positions. Losing Tucker was a big loss in the Iowa game, but I thought the defense held up reasonably well without him. He clearly was an animal when he is in there though.

At almost every other position we are rotating players much more than we have in the past and they haven't done too bad, other than a couple breakdowns in the Iowa game. I suspect some of the backups will see less time this week because of their play. I think they are playing a lot of players to keep them fresh and to minimize the chance of injury. So far it seems to be working. Our injuries are down from last year.

You make an excellent point here, which probably hasn't been made often enough. Ironically, some of the posters will say I'm making excuses, but it's worth remembering that the big Iowa plays were almost all the result of really, really good execution by the Hawks. The only exception that comes to mind is King's punt return, which occurred because the coverage guys overran him, perhaps thinking he was going to fair-catch it.

But Iowa's two TD passes couldn't have been better thrown, and the kid made a very nice catch on the first one. Our DBs were in pretty good position. Likewise, the long pass from the end zone when Iowa was 3rd-and-22 late in the game was one hell of a play that was pretty well defended. It isn't like there were guys wide open.

How do you see K State as a tossup...at Manhattan? Also, you know the powers have shifted when an ISU fan claims Texas as a tossup.

Because 6 of the last 7 against KSU have been decided by single digits, and they're now starting some kid at QB that's never even played the position before.

And Texas is flat-out horrible. Seriously, how much football do you even watch?

Because 6 of the last 7 against KSU have been decided by single digits, and they're now starting some kid at QB that's never even played the position before.

Lol. You think Hubener didn't play Qb at KSU before this year???? Where and how did he accumulate college PASSING stats? Maybe you should watch college football. JFC...

Ll
L.ll
Lol. You think Hubener didn't play Qb at KSU before this year???? Where and how did he accumulate college PASSING stats? Maybe you should watch college football. JFC...

Wow there is a shocker. Da Coach is wrong again. Who saw that coming?

When exactly did he play, dumbass? Ever heard of Jake Waters?

Huebener didn't even play QB in JUNIOR college.

BTW, what Junior college do you think he attended? Fwiw, his bio states he played Quarterback and a couple other positions in high school before he redshirted at KSU for the 2012 season. Amazingly, he graduated from high school in 2011... Didn't spend much time at a Juco?

What were the results of those 6 games?

Also, not surprised you didn't comprehend what I said about Texas.

Wait, the guy as SEVENTEEN pass attempts in his CAREER and you think you got one over on me?

I really am the smartest person on this board.

I realize the Iowa game was important this year, but ISU really has made it their "Super Bowl". You've got to get big crowds for conference games, have them be loud, and want those games as much as you do the Iowa one. Watch the replay - show me some other games this year where the holder pumps his fist like he's won the Masters after extra points??? It was ridiculous, as was the "tone" of the crowd. You want the Iowa game more than any other, and it's ok to admit it, but then you've got to realize that has gotten your program NOWHERE in the last 15 years.

ISU's schedule is not very tough. The only 3 games that look like
guaranteed losses are:

TCU
@ Baylor
@ Oklahoma

Likely wins:

@ Toledo
Kansas

Toss ups:

@ Texas Tech
Texas (homecoming)
@ Okie State
@ Kansas St
@ WVU

Move WVU to the guaranteed loses category. They will pound ISU.

I realize the Iowa game was important this year, but ISU really has made it their "Super Bowl". You've got to get big crowds for conference games, have them be loud, and want those games as much as you do the Iowa one. Watch the replay - show me some other games this year where the holder pumps his fist like he's won the Masters after extra points??? It was ridiculous, as was the "tone" of the crowd. You want the Iowa game more than any other, and it's ok to admit it, but then you've got to realize that has gotten your program NOWHERE in the last 15 years.
Well, he's only held in one game, UNI, and he did it then, too. So there's that.....

We can't show you anything like that in the last couple of years. Not because the stands weren't full. But we only won one home game in two years prior to this season. Go back to 2011 when we had a late season home win against a big time opponent and you see an environment that is unmatched to any. The triple overtime win against Iowa that same year was similar.

Cyclones lost their best DL to an ankle injury in the first half. That's almost exactly the point at which the change you mention occurred. Tucker was definitely a major factor in the game before he was injured.

And that goes back to the depth question. If ISU loses a starter at most positions, the next guy in is going to be considerably less skilled. If Tucker is back at somewhere near full strength, I think we have a chance to win at Toledo. If not, I feel much less optimistic.

Very good point. I had forgotten he went out. He looks like a good one.

Even when he played in the first half though, the Dline did pretty poorly stopping the run

Even when he played in the first half though, the Dline did pretty poorly stopping the run

Just saw this thread.

A (Cyclone) poster on Cyclone Fanatic did the math, and Iowa actually had better yards per carry before Tucker went out.

Tucker made a couple of plays last week and I have no doubt he's their best DT, but he also got dominated at times when he was in there. I remember Walsh knocking him ten yards downfield and then pancaking him on a zone play.

Still, this week against Toledo, they really could have used him at 100%.

After watching ISU play Toledo, Rhoads will never make it to the end of his contract. If ISU has trouble recruiting with the money they put into their football facilities, then they might as well look for a younger coach who can recruit.

After watching ISU play Toledo, Rhoads will never make it to the end of his contract. If ISU has trouble recruiting with the money they put into their football facilities, then they might as well look for a younger coach who can recruit.
The end of his contract? Can anyone confirm that he was on the plane back from Toledo?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT