ADVERTISEMENT

Payton was dealing with stuff outside of basketball

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
I know some posters like to quickly throw players under the bus but most of the time we have no idea what's going on with them outside of basketball.

The full text of the tweet:

Payton Sandfort reveals that his grandmother passed away Wednesday morning, the day that Iowa played Maryland. She had battled dementia and wasn't able to watch games at the back end of her life.

"Her getting the opportunity to watch Wednesday, watch today from Heaven with my Granpa has been a really special thing," Sandfort said. "I think I have peace in knowing that. It gives me joy that she was watching today."

I know some posters like to quickly throw players under the bus but most of the time we have no idea what's going on with them outside of basketball.

Payton Sandfort reveals that his grandmother passed away Wednesday morning, the day that Iowa played Maryland. She had battled dementia and wasn't able to watch games at the back end of her life.

"Her getting the opportunity to watch Wednesday, watch today from Heaven with my Granpa has been a really special thing," Sandfort said. "I think I have peace in knowing that. It gives me joy that she was watching today."

Thanks for posting, I did notice the negative posts about Sandfort. Thinking back about my own thoughts I remember being a bit negative about Aaron White not having a good jumper or 3 pt shot but that is who he was. And maybe being a bit down on Adam Woodbury for his lacking offense at times but neither were terrible throw them under the bus type of things.

Reactions: ZumaHawk and Moral
Thanks for posting, I did notice the negative posts about Sandfort. Thinking back about my own thoughts I remember being a bit negative about Aaron White not having a good jumper or 3 pt shot but that is who he was. And maybe being a bit down on Adam Woodbury for his lacking offense at times but neither were terrible throw them under the bus type of things.

Unfortunately these boards…..

Anonymous…..

Impersonal….

No accountability….

Breed this……🤷‍♂️

Full text of the tweet:

Fran McCaffery on Payton Sandfort:

“He couldn’t make a shot yesterday (Friday) in practice. Didn’t make a shot. I just said look, we know what you can do, we’re gonna keep going to you and you just keep firing. He said, coach, I’m gonna make seven (3-pointers) tomorrow. And I believed him. He lied. He made six.”

Full text of the tweet:

Payton Sandfort:

"One of the most special things that ever happened to me was the way that Tony treated me after Wednesday’s game. Obviously, I made some big mistakes down the stretch. But he just kinda put his arm around me and we were sitting in that press conference and we were walking down the hallway and he just told me how much he loved me. And then, for us to come out there and play like this today was special. I love that guy."

Thanks for posting this Fran. Feel bad for him, AND I think he's a good guy. As for the posts, people react to the moment. Thats just what it is. He certainly deserves some slack for Wednesdays game. Having said that, PS has been on the team for three years now. His record, just like Frans and Iowa basketball speaks for itself at this point. Nothing that happened this week, (be it his struggles wednesday or the great second half yesterday) changes who the young man. Its basically a microcosm of his career to this point. Wildly inconsistent. All B1G quality one game, (or half) and not B1G worthy the next. Thats not throwing anyone under the bus. Its 2 1/2 years of evaluation.

Good find.

Thanks for posting this Fran. Feel bad for him, AND I think he's a good guy. As for the posts, people react to the moment. Thats just what it is. He certainly deserves some slack for Wednesdays game. Having said that, PS has been on the team for three years now. His record, just like Frans and Iowa basketball speaks for itself at this point. Nothing that happened this week, (be it his struggles wednesday or the great second half yesterday) changes who the young man. Its basically a microcosm of his career to this point. Wildly inconsistent. All B1G quality one game, (or half) and not B1G worthy the next. Thats not throwing anyone under the bus. Its 2 1/2 years of evaluation.
Yeah, I get that. I'm just not a fan of people lashing out at players. In any sport. It’s ok to be critical of play, but too many take this shit way too seriously and get way too personal.

It’s interesting to me, someone can see this without being crappy & making it personal 😊 but then again, your history shows a person of understanding, compassion, and reserve.

Unlike many 😎

My dad from Dementia/Parkinson's 7 years ago. We knew it was time to put Dad in a care facility when one night he ran out of our home screaming at the top of his voice, "Help me, help me. She (mom) is going to kill me. Call the cops." That is a nasty disease. It just feels like when you have a loved one die from this your ears perk up and your attention is full on when you see/hear about someone else who has had a loved one who has/had this. It seems like I see someone who is either struggling with it or has died from it almost every week.

Speaking of anonymous, whats your name and where do you live?...

Chad McCleary….Illinois, and quite frankly over the 20 years I’ve posted on here. I’ve actually posted my phone number a number of times I’m not like these other jackasses…..

It’s also why I talk about personal stories and personal failings, which irritates people, I don’t hide behind a screen name, and talk shit about people.

Anything else….

PS I assure you there are enough people that I’ve posted with over the last 20 years know what town I live in and what profession I had for 20+ years and they may even know what profession I have now…

My dad from Dementia/Parkinson's 7 years ago. We knew it was time to put Dad in a care facility when one night he ran out of our home screaming at the top of his voice, "Help me, help me. She (mom) is going to kill me. Call the cops." That is a nasty disease. It just feels like when you have a loved one die from this your ears perk up and your attention is full on when you see/hear about someone else who has had a loved one who has/had this. It seems like I see someone who is either struggling with it or has died from it almost every week.
It is nasty, I watched 3 grandparents deal with it on both sides. To be 100% honest my father(54) lately has been awful remembering anything lately and it worries me. It is a cruel disease.
3 years ago at age 28 I started taking daily brain supplements. The worst part for me is I feel half the time you are talking to just a shell of the amazing person you knew before.

Chad McCleary….Illinois, and quite frankly over the 20 years I’ve posted on here. I’ve actually posted my phone number a number of times I’m not like these other jackasses…..

It’s also why I talk about personal stories and personal failings, which irritates people, I don’t hide behind a screen name, and talk shit about people.

Anything else….

PS I assure you there are enough people that I’ve posted with over the last 20 years know what town I live in and what profession I had for 20+ years and they may even know what profession I have now…
Wow. Do you have a therapist?

• Haha
Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Sorry. Payton Sandfort was awful on Wednesday and a huge reason why we lost. These dudes wanted NIL and now they can get criticism like people who get paid. He can thank trust fund kid Jordan Bohannon for that.

Anything else….

Wow. I guess if you’re willing to put your money where your mouth is you have a little more latitude to be self righteous.

Nice to meet you, Chad. I’m Ragnar from Denmark.

Reactions: LukaDuka
Sorry. Payton Sandfort was awful on Wednesday and a huge reason why we lost. These dudes wanted NIL and now they can get criticism like people who get paid. He can thank trust fund kid Jordan Bohannon for that.
I, for one, am willing to give people grace. Professional or semiprofessional, it’s still human beings playing a game. And no, I didn’t watch the Maryland game.

I guess Payton losing his temper with a teammate during the game makes more sense now. That’s out of character for him, right?

Btw, I have no problem criticizing Fran for still allowing his players to play awful defense. It’s never personal, though.

Anything else….

Barry McCockiner, Silicone Valley

I, for one, am willing to give people grace. Professional or semiprofessional, it’s still human beings playing a game. And no, I didn’t watch the Maryland game.

I guess Payton losing his temper with a teammate during the game makes more sense now. That’s out of character for him, right?

Btw, I have no problem criticizing Fran for still allowing his players to play awful defense. It’s never personal, though.
Other guys need to step up too in MD game, lots of mistakes down the stretch

Interestingly enough, and I learned this from my wife, you don’t get to decide if it’s personal or not. If you say things that come off as shitty, insensitive and/or showing a lack of empathy, then it’s personal…🤷‍♂️

But people not understanding that certainly explains this board 😞

Last edited:
😂😂😂😂😂 that’s good stuff… and literally pretty much the only thing you can come back with. Of course we know you’re not going to tell us your name or where you live…..doh!!!!
You know what's funny? Reading your lame posts... fitting your name is Chad.

Interestingly enough, and I learned this from my wife, you don’t get to decide if it’s personal or not. If you say things that come if as shitty, insensitive and/or showing a lack of empathy, then it’s personal…🤷‍♂️

But people not understanding that certainly explains this board 😞
I honestly understand the point.

I still think it’s okay to vent on an anonymous message board about Brian’s unmerited favor (i.e.).

Reactions: cmhawks99
Wow. I guess if you’re willing to put your money where your mouth is you have a little more latitude to be self righteous.

Nice to meet you, Chad. I’m Ragnar from Denmark.

BS…. and here’s the deal, you don’t know me, you find me an asshole, but if you met me in a crowd of people, quite frankly, unless you were the whiny, bitchy prick that you are on here you would never know. You would think I was funny, kind, pleasant, helpful… Because that’s who I am, I hate shitty people and I have no problem letting them know ….

If you are, then you will not like me if you’re pleasant positive empathetic and helpful, you would find me awesome….
I honestly understand the point.

I still think it’s okay to vent on an anonymous message board about Brian’s unmerited favor (i.e.).

Fair enough….honestly, I have different levels of disdain for your position, using The Kings, “you’re” there. Meaning you didn’t invent the position and are hardly the most egregious offender…

With that said, regardless of how you feel about me…I do find you mostly witty and somewhat humorous. I also however find your message board hostility as futile and ridiculous as you find mine…so there’s that.

🤷‍♂️

I think the biggest thing I take away from the thread is how lame it looks for grown men to whine and throw a tantrum over 18-22 year old kids playing a game. I get frustrated at the losses but people need to put the blame where it belongs, on coaching.
They’re paid big money to put schemes in place to help these guys be successful .
Players are humans. They go thru problems in life just like all of us.

I have not watched many games, but I have seen him do the same to Brock a couple times (not sure about other teammates). At the end of the day if they all like each other as teammates, I guess you can chalk it up to competitive juices/heat of the moment.

I’m Ragnar from Denmark.

i-dont-believe-you-lies.gif

• Love
Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
We are reminded time and time again that these are young humans that have lives outside of sports. This is why i try to never criticize the "person". Coaches, players, doesn't matter. It's ok, I guess, to be critical of performance. But we know nothing of the person.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT