ADVERTISEMENT

Pence again criticizes Linn-Mar transgender student policy during latest Iowa swing

While what you're saying makes sense in a broad term, it's categorically false.

For example, in every state that I'm aware of, teenagers have a right to doctor-patient confidentiality and are able to seek treatment without parent consent for pregnancy, birth control and treatment of STD's.

Giving students access to a gender support plan sounds like it falls along those lines. Of course the parents are going to find out about what their children are going through eventually, but it gives the students a safe space until they are ready to deal with it at home. It's true that parents probably won't like the school "going behind their backs," but this isn't about making parents happy.
According to @binsfeldcyhawk2 the parents will never find out.

• Haha
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Nope. Never said that. Learn to read.

It’s the school’s responsibility to let them know the child requested a “gender support plan”.
What? Stop it. We have discussed this twice between us.

This is my second post in response to you in this thread:
Haha. Again. You don't think ANYONE from the school would talk? No other students would talk to their parents about it. Are you frickin kidding me? I even used the gay situation. Wow.

• Haha
While what you're saying makes sense in a broad term, it's categorically false.

For example, in every state that I'm aware of, teenagers have a right to doctor-patient confidentiality and are able to seek treatment without parent consent for pregnancy, birth control and treatment of STD's.

Giving students access to a gender support plan sounds like it falls along those lines. Of course the parents are going to find out about what their children are going through eventually, but it gives the students a safe space until they are ready to deal with it at home. It's true that parents probably won't like the school "going behind their backs," but this isn't about making parents happy.
Conversation in progress is about schools and teachers, not medical professionals,.. In my opinion both the school and the teachers need to maintain honest and open communication with parents regarding their underage children attending as students.

Hooray!

Let's become a society where there is a value placed on hiding things starting in the Oval Office right on down to the citizenry in their homes and schools.

Whatever happened to the value of transparency? Guess clandestine like behavior is a universal good now???

Conversation in progress is about schools and teachers, not medical professionals,.. In my opinion both the school and the teachers need to maintain honest and open communication with parents regarding their underage children attending as students.
My argument is that this falls within the category of health issues, and that your statement about "Parents have the right to know everything about their underage children" is factually incorrect.

• Haha
Nope. Never said that. Learn to read.

It’s the school’s responsibility to let them know the child requested a “gender support plan”.
So you support a parent's right to know if their child expresses a gender issue, but not their right to make medical decisions about how to treat gender issues?

• Haha
Flanked by Iowans involved in conservative education movements and the state’s attorney general, Mike Pence, former vice president and potential 2024 Republican presidential candidate, once again levied heavy criticism on an Eastern Iowa school district’s policies for transgender students.

During a discussion about parents’ rights in education over lunch at an East Village hotel, Pence called the policies at the Linn-Mar Community School District “crazy” and mislabeled them as a “gender transition plan.”

“If a school in the heartland of America, where a student would have to come in with a permission slip from their parents to get a Tylenol from the school nurse but could get a gender transition plan without ever notifying their parents, as I said then I’ll say it again: That’s not bad policy. That’s crazy,” Pence said.

Advertisement

Gender transition is the process of changing one’s gender identity, and can include medical treatments and surgeries.

The Linn-Mar policy allows students in the seventh grade or above to request a “gender support plan” that calls for teachers and peers to address the student by a new name and new pronouns. The policy leaves it up to the students whether to notify parents.

The event was hosted by Advancing American Freedom, a nonprofit issue advocacy organization launched by Pence in 2021. The organization filed a legal brief, joining a lawsuit against the Linn-Mar policy.

Pence has not yet declared whether he will run for president in the 2024 cycle, but Wednesday’s event was held in Iowa, where Republicans will again be the first in the nation to cast their presidential preference early next year, and featured discussions around education topics central to Republican voters.

Pence was joined by Iowa Attorney General Brenna Bird, Iowans involved with the conservative parents’ rights group Moms for Liberty, and advocates for home-school education.

Bird and Pence gave brief remarks, after which the rest of the meeting was closed to media.

On Iowa Politics​

Newsletter Signup
checkmark-yellow.png
Legislative & Politics News Delivered to your inbox each weekday

“I’m so inspired. The first time Advancing American Freedom came to Iowa when we came alongside your group (Moms for Liberty) to join in the battle for parental rights in the Linn-Mar Community Schools case, I’ve just been deeply inspired,” Pence said.

“All of you represent the very best tradition of Americanism, the willingness to step into the public square, to speak with deep conviction on behalf of your values and your families. And I believe that you are going to pave the way to a court decision that will strengthen parental rights for every American family.”

The event was one of multiple stops Pence made over two days in Iowa. He also hosted a meet-and-greet Tuesday, and on Wednesday visited a private school in suburban Des Moines and hosted a social event in Ottumwa.

https://www.thegazette.com/campaign...nder-student-policy-during-latest-iowa-swing/
Learn calculus, not Bob’s preferred pronoun! Just so ****ing stupid….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT