ADVERTISEMENT

Perfect time to bring in Devries

I have thought this will be Fran's last year for awhile. His kids are done at UI, his youngest is going elsewhere, and I just get the vibe he isn't that happy with how he and his family have been treated in Iowa City. My kids are in HS in the area and they say Jack takes a ton of sh1t on social media. My guess is he wants to start over somewhere else.

The first call should be Jerome Tang. That guy is one helluva coach and recruiter. If he can bring in that type of talent to Manhattan, KS he can bring in some dudes to IC.

Lol the 1960s are a long time ago
But for BOTH UIowa and Drake, they contain some of their best basketball.
Maury John vs. Ralph Miller… for a brief time, the school’s greatest coaches faced off against each other. Some epic battles… and they played home/home annually! For Iowans, this was basketball CAMELOT!
Those two guys could coach!

• Love
Reactions: intrepodor
But for BOTH UIowa and Drake, they contain some of their best basketball.
Maury John vs. Ralph Miller… for a brief time, the school’s greatest coaches faced off against each other. Some epic battles… and they played home/home annually! For Iowans, this was basketball CAMELOT!
Those two guys could coach!
They could but again, 50 years ago. Drake literally had the 1 year under Keno Davis before DeVries got there. So basically 50 years of losing with maybe 6/7 seasons worth talking about.

How many Sweet 16s do the Hawkeyes have …..ever? Wanna go “to the next level”? Let’s see if Lickliter is available…
For Christ sake please don't stoop so low as to bring up Lickliter. Thats a ridiculous argument. Yes he was NCOTY, but obviously Stevens was the man at Butler and Barta screwed the pooch by not vetting him thoroughly. That doesn't mean if. Fran moves on we have to stoop back down to that level. No one here believes that....

Right, the portal is part of the reason it's not what it used to be.

Also losing Creighton, Wichita st and Loyola lowered the standing.

The valley used to be a 2 or 3 bid league now its like most of the other mm.
Valley had four teams in 2006 tournament and Creighton wasn't even one of them.
Amazing Drake has played in last 3 MVC Championship games.
Drake and Bradley are the only two teams left in the Valley that were in the Valley late 60's early 70's when I started following Drake.

Reactions: littlez
For Christ sake please don't stoop so low as to bring up Lickliter. Thats a ridiculous argument. Yes he was NCOTY, but obviously Stevens was the man at Butler and Barta screwed the pooch by not vetting him thoroughly. That doesn't mean if. Fran moves on we have to stoop back down to that level. No one here believes that....
That’s not wat I’m saying kc….
I’m more on the line that there are NO guarantees out there.
Change for change sake is NEVER very smart. Have a plan! And then TRUST the process! You think Fran likes what gas happened to college BB the past few years? You think any coach likes it? It’s gonna be an education for players, coaches, administrators and most of all, the fans.
What is in place today does not mean it is going to be there 3 years from now. Who’s the next coach you can guarantee me will get Iowa to the Sweet 16…. As that seems to be your criteria. The fact that Fran has won a couple of B10 championships tge past 5 years seems to mean nothing to you…what matters to you? No more butt-hurt losing to Iowa State? Is that the new criteria?

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
Change for change sake is NEVER very smart. Have a plan! And then TRUST the process! You think Fran likes what gas happened to college BB the past few years? You think any coach likes it? It’s gonna be an education for players, coaches, administrators and most of all, the fans.
What is in place today does not mean it is going to be there 3 years from now. Who’s the next coach you can guarantee me will get Iowa to the Sweet 16…. As that seems to be your criteria. The fact that Fran has won a couple of B10 championships tge past 5 years seems to mean nothing to you…what matters to you? No more butt-hurt losing to Iowa State? Is that the new criteria?
Iowa hasn't been to a Sweet 16 in 24 years. There have been something like 120-130 teams that have made a Sweet 16 in that time period, which means it isn't an impossible task.

And your "Who's the next coach you can guarantee will get Iowa to the Sweet 16" is a cowardly and, to be honest, dumb argument.

Of course there are no guarantees....but not making a change because of fear of failure guarantees you won't experience increased success, either. That's a losers mentality.

And no, I am not calling for Fran to be fired.

Last edited:

Fran hasn't won a couple B1G titles. He won a single BTT. Alford won two of those in shorter time frame.

Fran isn't going to be fired...but he may quit on his own accord.

Wanting to move on from Fran isn't exactly knee jerk.

Multiple 1st round draft picks and best we can do is getting beat down in the second round of the NCAA. We've seen the CEILING for Fran.

Plus I'm sick of watching ZERO emphasis on defense and rebounding. No excuses for having a team get consistently OUT WORKED.
Greed, It's time, he needs to go. Is it not obvious at this point he can't get it done? Lol

Iowa hasn't been to a Sweet 16 in 24 years. There have been something like 120-130 teams that have made a Sweet 16 in that time period, which means it isn't an impossible task.

And your "Who's the next coach you can guarantee will get Iowa to the Sweet 16" is a cowardly and, to be honest, dumb argument.

Of course there are no guarantees....but not making a change because of fear of failure guarantees you won't experience increased success, either. That's a losers mentality.

And no, I am not calling for Fran to be fired.
Uhhh, he needs to be fired. It's time.
What's the point of keeping him? 15 more years of being lame?

Uhhh, he needs to be fired. It's time.
What's the point of keeping him? 15 more years of being lame?
I agree I would like to see someone new as head coach. But that decision isn't up to me.

So are the 70's-80's, but Iowa fans still idolize Lute and look at what he accomplished as a standard. Iowa doesn't routinely hire Hall of Fame coaches, nor do many B1G schools. Look at how many coaches many of the B1G schools have had just since McCaffery was hired.
That's because their ad's fired unproductive coaches instead of giving them raises

Mentioning Lickliter does bring some reality into this discussion, though. If you want to consider what might really happen.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Fran is done after this season. I’m 99% confident he’s done.
I believe you. I remember you had one other scoop that materialized. Does your source indicate any preferred candidates or too early to tell?

TIA if you have any information and it can be shared.

Sure seems like Fran is trying to get a golden parachute with his decision making as of late with the ejection and his line ups which make absolutely no sense. Carver will be empty by seasons end and if you don’t have ticket revenue, might as well make a change. Give him his money to go away, along with the rest of the McCaffrey’s. It’s time for a change.

Short list should be Pearl, K State Coach, then Devries. I want Pearl here to turn the Iowa/Illini series into the heated, hate filled rivalry that it used to be.

Reactions: Garzatough85
Coached under Altman for a long time. He has won at Drake, which is hard to do. If we don’t land him, someone else will soon. In my opinion, he would be a great fit. His teams also play up tempo, and there is definitely more emphasis on defense.
You had me at ‘emphasis’…😉

The swarm is focused on football athletes to bring in, unfortunately.
A new coaching hire could potentially excite the fanbase to donate too.

I thought there was a way to dictate to which program you wanted your money to go.

People just aren't interested in donating to Frans program at this point.

I've been considering it but am going to hold off now until we get a new coach.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
A new coaching hire could potentially excite the fanbase to donate too.

I thought there was a way to dictate to which program you wanted your money to go.

People just aren't interested in donating to Frans program at this point.

I've been considering it but am going to hold off now until we get a new coach.
With all due respect, if you aren't donating, you really aren't trying, nor going to donate because of a coaching change. I want my team to be good no matter who the coach is, so I donate.

He doesn't make enough at Drake to have a hefty buyout. Iowa will be able to afford it easily.
He was making 500K in 2021 before the extension. Believe he got a raise as well so he's probably closer to about 700K right now. So probably around 4 million. Not huge but since we basically give all of our money to football it's something. I'm going to say DeVries wants to stay and see his son graduate from Drake. He's built a winner at a program that was once almost thought impossible.

I have thought this will be Fran's last year for awhile. His kids are done at UI, his youngest is going elsewhere, and I just get the vibe he isn't that happy with how he and his family have been treated in Iowa City. My kids are in HS in the area and they say Jack takes a ton of sh1t on social media. My guess is he wants to start over somewhere else.

The first call should be Jerome Tang. That guy is one helluva coach and recruiter. If he can bring in that type of talent to Manhattan, KS he can bring in some dudes to IC.
KState is a good comparative. Do our academic standards hurt the level he’s brought in there? Tired of hearing this excuse relative to IState recruiting success over ours in hoops.

Let’s talk criteria;
Proven track record of ability to coach both fundamentals as well as in game
Ability to recruit on a consistent level in a geography that will align to Iowa City and Big Ten
Desire to build a program and sustain it for at least a 7 year cycle

KState is a good comparative. Do our academic standards hurt the level he’s brought in there? Tired of hearing this excuse relative to IState recruiting success over ours in hoops.

Not sure on academics. I know we pay Fran $3.2 Million, $200k more than Tang just got in his raise this off season.

With all due respect, if you aren't donating, you really aren't trying, nor going to donate because of a coaching change. I want my team to be good no matter who the coach is, so I donate.
Completely disagree.

You're projecting your opinion and situation onto everyone.

A lot of people can't stand Fran and want him yo leave, and way more people than that are indifferent.

If you don't think fan excitement plays a role you are wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT