ADVERTISEMENT

Petras practicing yet?

And if it doesn't bring about change it will usually rise to the point of being destructive.

AD's are paid very well to be able to make decisions without fan negativity.

Fans assign far too much importance to their voice and allow it far too much expression of negativity
Couldn’t disagree more. Fans shell out a ton of $$ in support of these programs, especially football with how expensive it is.

Fans deserve to have their loud voices be heard, whether it’s positive or negative. If all the fans disappeared - what would happen?

Secondly, an offensive coordinator’s job is to help the team win by putting points on the goddamn scoreboard. And we have been really bad at doing that. End of story.

Couldn’t disagree more. Fans shell out a ton of $$ in support of these programs, especially football with how expensive it is.

Fans deserve to have their loud voices be heard, whether it’s positive or negative. If all the fans disappeared - what would happen?

Secondly, an offensive coordinator’s job is to help the team win by putting points on the goddamn scoreboard. And we have been really bad at doing that. End of story.
It doesn't matter what fans deserve. The negativity is more hurtful than helpful.

God knows fans aren't insatiably voicing their approval and praises like it'd be an injustice to a God given right if they didn't.

If fans aren't into winning, and have a problem with the program, don't monetarily support it. That simple.

And you are only partially correct about the job of an OC. It isn't solely to score points. It is to help the team win by all means necessary. Period

Right or wrong, pressure from "fans" led to Gary Barta amending the bonus clause in Brian's contract. Corporate donors are "fans" too.
Which was a terrible development.

Again, the contract stipulation was incredibly mis-conceived. And, if anything, can only hurt the team.

If fan pressure did have a hand in Barta drawing the contract it was a huge overreaction to a huge overreaction by a bunch of people that don't know anything about football.

Very poor athletic directing. Every other AD has the spine to either retain or fire a guy

I agree they won't average 25.

If you were saying scoring doesn't matter vs winning, I agree.

I thought you were saying that it doesn't matter because BF will be retained regardless. That's what I was responding to
First off, the 25ppg thing is only out there as part of an incentive package. If targets are met, the contract dictates that Brian receives a bonus and a raise and a return to his previous 2 year rolling contract. There is nothing preventing Goetz from either renewing the current agreement or writing up a new contract altogether if the targets aren't met.

My underlying position is that Brian and Kirk became a package deal the moment he became OC. Kirk isn't about to allow anyone to determine who his staff is and he is never firing his son. Goetz attempting to rid the program of Brian will never fly with Kirk, nor should it. He's the HC. It's his staff. He determines who works for him.

So what happens at the end of the year when the team fails to hit the targets? Depends on a lot of things, but mainly wins and losses. Goetz isn't locking horns with Kirk if Iowa wins the West. No way. No how. Brian might look for other opportunities but the pickings will be slim and Kirk still prefers he stays. Decent possibility he stays on and endures the fan and media outcry for another year.

If Iowa doesn't win the West then the pressure for change amps up. Goetz feels like she has some wind at her back and the time for change is now and tells Kirk that it's time for changes on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk disagrees and tells her he'll retire first and she thanks him for all he's done and bids him a fond farewell.

There is no scenario where I see it being announced that Brian was let go. I don't think Kirk would allow that.

First off, the 25ppg thing is only out there as part of an incentive package. If targets are met, the contract dictates that Brian receives a bonus and a raise and a return to his previous 2 year rolling contract. There is nothing preventing Goetz from either renewing the current agreement or writing up a new contract altogether if the targets aren't met.

My underlying position is that Brian and Kirk became a package deal the moment he became OC. Kirk isn't about to allow anyone to determine who his staff is and he is never firing his son. Goetz attempting to rid the program of Brian will never fly with Kirk, nor should it. He's the HC. It's his staff. He determines who works for him.

So what happens at the end of the year when the team fails to hit the targets? Depends on a lot of things, but mainly wins and losses. Goetz isn't locking horns with Kirk if Iowa wins the West. No way. No how. Brian might look for other opportunities but the pickings will be slim and Kirk still prefers he stays. Decent possibility he stays on and endures the fan and media outcry for another year.

If Iowa doesn't win the West then the pressure for change amps up. Goetz feels like she has some wind at her back and the time for change is now and tells Kirk that it's time for changes on the offensive side of the ball. Kirk disagrees and tells her he'll retire first and she thanks him for all he's done and bids him a fond farewell.

There is no scenario where I see it being announced that Brian was let go. I don't think Kirk would allow that.
BG isn't nearly as beholden to the Ferentz family as Barta was. She knows KF is at the end of his career, and she's a young (soon to be) permanent AD who wants to establish her own legacy with a football HC hire. She's not going to be a KF lapdog the way Barta was.

And if it doesn't bring about change it will usually rise to the point of being destructive.

AD's are paid very well to be able to make decisions without fan negativity.

Fans assign far too much importance to their voice and allow it far too much expression of negativity
No way your Nebbers beat us this year.

No way.

1 win in the last decade against Big Bro Hawks was a Nebber Xmas miracle!

I hope so. I sure would like to see him run the ball a lot more
This ain't 1980. Iowa has already run the ball 27 more times than they've passed it. Iowa would love to run the ball more effectively. I don't understand what you're seeing that even remotely suggests they're capable of doing that against anyone other than Western Michigan. Take away that one game against that horrible team and Iowa is averaging 2.5 yards per carry this year

This is a bad running team. Your solution is to run it a whole lot more. Makes sense to me.

On this we agree. One might even argue that criticism only hardens his positions.
I agree. But you can't say he doesn't give a shit about fans' opinions and then say criticism only hardens his positions. He does give a shit about fans' opinions, so much so that most of the time he finds ways to give them a figurative middle finger. Case in point, PSU game at Kinnick in 2012. We're down 38-0 in the 4th quarter. JVB had regressed big time and there was increasing noise from fans about giving his backup, Jake Rudock, a look even prior to that game. So we're down 38-0 in the 4th, have zero chance of winning that game, and what's KF do? He leaves his starting QB in the entirety of the 4th quarter, Rudock didn't take a single snap, in a massive blowout. There's no way that wasn't KF giving Iowa fans the finger.

The difference is when KF truly believes he's up against it, he will bend. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. It happened when he benched Christensen for Stanzi. And it happened when he released a depth chart in JANUARY after the bowl loss listing CJB as next season's starter.

Last edited:
I agree. But you can't say he doesn't give a shit about fans' opinions and then say criticism only hardens his positions. He does give a shit about fans' opinions, so much so that most of the time he finds ways to give them figurative middle finger. Case in point, PSU game at Kinnick in 2012. We're down 38-0 in the 4th quarter. JVB had regressed big time and there was increasing noise from fans about giving his backup, Jake Rudock, a look even prior to that game. So we're down 38-0 in the 4th, have zero chance of winning that game, and what's KF do? He leaves his starting QB in the entirety of the 4th quarter, Rudock didn't take a single snap, in a massive blowout. There's no way that wasn't KF giving Iowa fans the finger.

The difference is when KF truly believes he's up against it, he will bend. It doesn't happen often, but it happens. It happened when he benched Christensen for Stanzi. And it happened when he released a depth chart in JANUARY after the bowl loss listing CJB as next season's starter.
Your perspective is a bit more nefarious take than mine. I don't think there is any kind of conscious "middle finger". I think most of what occurs when people who's positions are under attack is an emotional response on a more subconscious level. It's a natural human reaction to double down, even when the evidence doesn't support your position. You see it all the time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT