ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter Update Request

ChiefRhoads

Rookie
Jan 6, 2019
Now that football season is officially over and Ben can start officially practicing with the team; does anyone know when we will see him? Any idea what he is weighing now after football season. I assume they were trying to put some weight on him, so will be interesting to see how he moves and how the strength gains help him.

I am still in the AJF camp at 197 hopefully and 149 can work itself out with AF and CR. Let's get to the meat of the schedule!!!!

I thought I read somewhere he was weighing in the 235-240 range. I can not remember if I read that on here or social media, sorry, so take that for what it's worth.

Is it a given that he will not RS?
How does that even work? If he red shirted during football, can he not red shirt now and wrestle? Will one season affect the other?

If he is indeed 240? He will not have any trouble with 90% or greater of the heavy weights he faces strength size wise! There are very few who are bigger then that and also very muscular.

Conversely, if he pins or techs everyone in the 1st period, it won't be a problem.
Season 1 Strategy GIF by Paramount+

He flew home yesterday and certified yesterday evening. He wouldn’t even stay an extra day in Florida with us 😢.
What a privilege to have Ben on the Iowa Wrestling team! He certainly has the mentality of a champion. “What is the next thing, let’s get after it.”
Hopefully this board is kind to you in the future. If not, the ignore button is your friend. The good people on this board will serve as your troll police.
Go Hawks, go Ben!

How does that even work? If he red shirted during football, can he not red shirt now and wrestle? Will one season affect the other?

If he is indeed 240? He will not have any trouble with 90% or greater of the heavy weights he faces strength size wise! There are very few who are bigger then that and also very muscular.
I remember it being discussed a while ago on here somewhere that he can redshirt in one sport and not the other if he chooses. They are separate and he just has the same 5 year timeline. I thought his mother said he was around 235-240 a few weeks ago. I'm assuming he can still wrestle 5 dates unattached to decide on the RS or not and I'm hoping we get to see at least the five dates to see where he is at. If he is better than Hill I hope he goes this year even if he would benefit from a RS as he probably ain't wrestling for 4 years anyway.

Wrestling HWT as a true freshman is very difficult. I do not recall a ton of success from true freshman at the weight. The only 2 that stick out to me are Mocco who I believe won it and Gable Steveson who took 3rd. If my memory is correct both HWT monsters like Adam Coon and Mason Parris competed as true freshman and did not reach the podium. It's just a weight you do not see a lot of true freshman wrestle. With all that being said BK is a junior world champ. He is an exceptional athlete. I expect Ben to be the guy this year. I project him anywhere from 5th to the rd16 at nationals.

Reactions: blcoach80
Wrestling HWT as a true freshman is very difficult. I do not recall a ton of success from true freshman at the weight. The only 2 that stick out to me are Mocco who I believe won it and Gable Steveson who took 3rd. If my memory is correct both HWT monsters like Adam Coon and Mason Parris competed as true freshman and did not reach the podium. It's just a weight you do not see a lot of true freshman wrestle. With all that being said BK is a junior world champ. He is an exceptional athlete. I expect Ben to be the guy this year. I project him anywhere from 5th to the rd16 at nationals.
I agree with you on everything. I think BK will be better than Hill in a month or two. Making the podium as a HWT true freshman would be an amazing accomplishment that I think Ben can do if he can get out from the bottom. His athleticism and quickness will be crucial in his success.

I don’t think Mocco won. I think he went 2,1,1,2.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think wrestlers are competing at a higher level at a younger age in part because of expanded freestyle opportunities. It's one thing when an athlete competes at a regional or even a national tournament here and there, but these guys are competing regularly world wide. Skill development is much faster and earlier.

Another factor that may aid BK for a quick transition, is that athletes his size and overall athletisism don't generally stay in wrestling. They focus on football. Other than the elite top 4-5, I think he's got a pretty good shot at the podium this year. It's not like he hasn't competed against pretty high quality wrestlers before. We will see.

I remember it being discussed a while ago on here somewhere that he can redshirt in one sport and not the other if he chooses. They are separate and he just has the same 5 year timeline. I thought his mother said he was around 235-240 a few weeks ago. I'm assuming he can still wrestle 5 dates unattached to decide on the RS or not and I'm hoping we get to see at least the five dates to see where he is at. If he is better than Hill I hope he goes this year even if he would benefit from a RS as he probably ain't wrestling for 4 years anyway.
He can wrestle as many unattached as he'd like. The five attached is only for first semester freshmen. If he wrestles attached during second semester he can no longer redshirt this season.

He can wrestle as many unattached as he'd like. The five attached is only for first semester freshmen. If he wrestles attached during second semester he can no longer redshirt this season.
I don't think this is correct or GA would not be able to wrestle anymore this year without pulling his RS.

Reactions: el dub and TarpHawk
Is it just first year freshmen? I.e. a true soph (or above) could not compete attached at all without burning the RS?
Yes true freshman only. It is up to 5 attached dates without pulling their RS. They can't wrestle unattached in semester 1. In semester 2 they can wrestle unattached all they want. They get 5 attached dates throughout the year and can stay in RS. Ben and Gabe can wrestle unattached this whole semester as many times as they want. Gabe has 2 attached dates left (I believe) and Ben would have all 5 attached dates left this semester yet. I'm 83% certain I am correct on this!

Yes true freshman only. It is up to 5 attached dates without pulling their RS. They can't wrestle unattached in semester 1. In semester 2 they can wrestle unattached all they want. They get 5 attached dates throughout the year and can stay in RS. Ben and Gabe can wrestle unattached this whole semester as many times as they want. Gabe has 2 attached dates left (I believe) and Ben would have all 5 attached dates left this semester yet. I'm 83% certain I am correct on this!
This has to be incorrect. We just watched many wrestle unattached at SS.

Nobody at 197?
Nope, or 149 or 184. In case you ask. I think second semester starts 1/16, so guess we would know before then.

We dual NE 1/12 and MN 1/15 and PU 1/18. So I would think it would be Purdue at the earliest.

Reactions: el dub
Maybe got it a bit confused here? True freshman can’t wrestle the first semester unless they are attached. Second semester, they can wrestle attached or unattached but are limited to 5 attached for the whole season. This is why GA could wrestle unattached last weekend.

Maybe got it a bit confused here? True freshman can’t wrestle the first semester unless they are attached. Second semester, they can wrestle attached or unattached but are limited to 5 attached for the whole season. This is why GA could wrestle unattached last weekend.
Thing that stinks, is there normally isn't many open events for them to wrestle unattached in 2nd semester.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT