ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter Update Request

Thing that stinks, is there normally isn't many open events for them to wrestle unattached in 2nd semester.
Yea, the rule is good but could be a little better. 5 attached dates and unlimited unattached dates 1st or 2nd semester would be optimal. That would allow them a few open tournaments in the first semester without using up all their attached dates, but it is still better than it was before.

I'm excited to see him on the mat. Cut him loose against the Huskers!
Agreed, Ben is an elite athelete on many levels. It may be silly speculation at this point, but I think BK certainly has the dream to play in the NFL. If his football career develops to the potential many see in him today, don't expect him to be around for 4-5 years for wrestling. Whether it be the football program protecting a future AA talent from the rigors and risks associated with a demanding two sport regimen, or being so blessed to seek the next level, IMO if he is the best in the room this year, by all means pull the shirt now. Don't protect a 3rd, 4th or 5th year for wrestling that may never come.

Yea, the rule is good but could be a little better. 5 attached dates and unlimited unattached dates 1st or 2nd semester would be optimal. That would allow them a few open tournaments in the first semester without using up all their attached dates, but it is still better than it was before.
The issue is they were trying to kill two birds with one stone. Everyone wanted the 5 dates similar to some other sports but wrestling also had an issue compared to other sports with Freshman 1st semester GPAs. You have all these freshman coming in wrestling 15-20 matches at various opens well before they complete a semester and I think there was perception that it was contributing to GPA lagging behind other sports.

Reactions: hlstone
Last I heard 240, and was 50/50 with Cass, and 50/50 with AJ during football season. I know a lot of you non real hawk fans talk bad about AJ is. Well, as you can have your own opinion. As many did with DeSanto. But talk to DeSanto for 2 mins and you will understand. He is 100 percent motor on winning as is AJ. I once tried to give DeSanto a ride home after he showed up at my camp. He refused and said I am not allowed to go home without brands picking me up.
Thank goodness social media wasn’t around for Thomas Edison’s 10,000 failures,

Agreed, Ben is an elite athelete on many levels. It may be silly speculation at this point, but I think BK certainly has the dream to play in the NFL. If his football career develops to the potential many see in him today, don't expect him to be around for 4-5 years for wrestling. Whether it be the football program protecting a future AA talent from the rigors and risks associated with a demanding two sport regimen, or being so blessed to seek the next level, IMO if he is the best in the room this year, by all means pull the shirt now. Don't protect a 3rd, 4th or 5th year for wrestling that may never come.
Yes, if he has NFL aspirations, then there is no reason to RS him in wrestling at all. Even if he doesn't leave early for the draft, he is very unlikely to wrestle at all his senior year because he will be preparing for the NFL combine (which is in February or March) and an injury in wrestling would potentially cost him millions of dollars and/or a shot at playing in the NFL.

Yes, if he has NFL aspirations, then there is no reason to RS him in wrestling at all. Even if he doesn't leave early for the draft, he is very unlikely to wrestle at all his senior year because he will be preparing for the NFL combine (which is in February or March) and an injury in wrestling would potentially cost him millions of dollars and/or a shot at playing in the NFL.
On one of the insider reports on the football page, it said that he had been preforming like an upperclassmen during bowl prep and it would be difficult to keep him off the field next year.

Not really disagreeing but what if he has oppurtunity to go for a second or third individual championship or a team championship. He might do it even if it is part time, he seems pretty driven on goals.

Not really disagreeing but what if he has oppurtunity to go for a second or third individual championship or a team championship. He might do it even if it is part time, he seems pretty driven on goals.
I highly doubt it. This year, the combine is 3/2-3/5 and the B1G championships are 3/9-10. The timing is too tight (and in future years, there is a chance they could actually overlap depending on scheduling). He will have to train full time for the combine events specifically (again, there are millions of dollars at stake here), not just wrestle to stay in shape and then show up at the combine, so he would have to basically walk into the B1Gs cold not only without having wrestled at all in the leadup to it but also coming off 100% dedication to an entirely different goal. He will also have an agent by then telling him not to risk injury wrestling at all. If he tears an ACL or something wrestling between the combine and the draft, it could kill his professional career. There are plenty of other football players who are "driven on goals" as well who opt out of bowl games and stuff like that because of the draft and NFL considerations. At the point where you are looking at the combine and the draft, it's now a business and a career and one that requires 100% focus. It's unfortunate, but that is the reality.

Amen el dub. Redshirt the kid always seems to be the answer. Who cares what the kid thinks.
“Well, maybe he wants to be a four timer,” just doesn’t hold water anymore for me. There’s too much focus on future desires and not enough on the present needs, imo.

Ben's future, or unknown future, is gonna make Hwt recruiting a bit difficult 2-3 years down the road.

That doesn't make sense. In 2-3 years we will be recruiting guys who will arrive soon before or after Ben is done at Iowa.

It won't be super easy currently, but we have a developing young HWT in Hill who looks like a fine insurance policy in the coming years.

Hill is your plan B?

I'd rather he be plan C but he's looking like a solid fallback, regardless. He's come a long way in his time at Iowa and he's still undersized. IMHO, he's good enough to be on the podium in another year or two if he continues to get bigger and stronger.

Are you going to explain why HWT recruiting will be so hard in 2-3 years?

I'd rather he be plan C but he's looking like a solid fallback, regardless. He's come a long way in his time at Iowa and he's still undersized. IMHO, he's good enough to be on the podium in another year or two if he continues to get bigger and stronger.

Are you going to explain why HWT recruiting will be so hard in 2-3 years?
Sure...many/most top guys want to wrestle immediately.

What if BK only wrestles 2 years. What if only wrestles 3 years. What if he wrestles 4 years.
You recruit a guy expecting to need him in 2, and you might not need a guy until 4 years.
You're being obtuse again.

What if BK only wrestles 2 years. What if only wrestles 3 years. What if he wrestles 4 years.
You recruit a guy expecting to need him in 2, and you might not need a guy until 4 years.

Recruiting is done earlier than that. The difficulty recruiting HWT, which I agree exists on some level, is happening as we type. It gets easier in two to three years, not harder, when you have a) more vision for what Ben is going to do and b) He has less eligibility remaining.

Reactions: el dub
I think Ross is the better Football prospect than Keuter. I'd be more worried about losing Ross to Football than Keuter.

You can’t be something “again” if you’re always it.

• Haha
Reactions: ping72 and SPOONER
That doesn't make sense. In 2-3 years we will be recruiting guys who will arrive soon before or after Ben is done at Iowa.

It won't be super easy currently, but we have a developing young HWT in Hill who looks like a fine insurance policy in the coming years.
Hill is a great kid, yes. But if we ever want to compete for #1 we better have 10 weights vying for AA with a good handful in the finals. Unfortunately as solid as Hill is I don't see him adding any points come March. And to compete we need points.

Hill is a great kid, yes. But if we ever want to compete for #1 we better have 10 weights vying for AA with a good handful in the finals. Unfortunately as solid as Hill is I don't see him adding any points come March. And to compete we need points.

Nothing happened to it. We aren't talking about this year.

Perhaps, but the portal costs $$$.

Which we have.

Not a BK question per se, but related to HWT and I really don't want to start a new thread. What ever happened to Chet Buss at UNI? He was an Iowa small class monster and certainly looked the part of a starter kit for a traditional HWT. This would be his second year at UNI and he hasn't been listed on the roster. Did he hang it up?

Not a BK question per se, but related to HWT and I really don't want to start a new thread. What ever happened to Chet Buss at UNI? He was an Iowa small class monster and certainly looked the part of a starter kit for a traditional HWT. This would be his second year at UNI and he hasn't been listed on the roster. Did he hang it up?
He did leave UNI. Rumor is that he regrets it and will return in the near future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT