ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***PG Brock Harding commits to Iowa***

GIF by Futurithmic

Why do you care that he’s white?

No. But if I went to a race track, I'd bet on the Arabian Stallion over the Clydesdale because of genetic tendencies. I did appreciate Jbo the player and he had a place as a FT closer/part time pg, but JBO wasn't the type of pg that would carry a team to ncaa sweet16 or beyond. I can say that because he didn't. Hopefully Brock is similar shooter but better short game with the runners/finishing at the rim.

Brock Harding may be the exception to the rule..maybe he is lock down defender, great shooter, passer, has runners and floaters. Or maybe he is more in the mold of some of the others that were similar in build that have preceded him: Todd Berkenpas, Troy Skiner, Brodie Boyd, Gesell,,,,so I welcome Brock, but time will tell if he is a good B-ball player at the next level.

Some of these comparisons are comical. If he reminds you of someone only he does this this and this better and without this, then he really doesn't remind you of that guy. To compare him to John Stockton is laughable. The guy dribbled down the court and either passed to Malone on the fast break or gave it to him on the pick and roll.

Practically the entire clip looks like he's out in his driveway trying to be Steph Curry. I know a majority of the posters on this board think the NBA is unwatchable but these kids grow up emulating guys like him. There's even a James Harden hop, skip, and step back three that I'm surprised didn't get called for traveling in a high school game.

He's small and thin so who knows how that will play in the Big Ten but it is a very entertaining video none the less. Having him and Nimmers in the mix as back up PGs isn't a bad thing.

Last edited:
As for Harding he reminds me bit of Gesell. Not quite as athletic but highlight film shows for his height has some hops and can dunk. Could be better shooter and passer than mike. Thing is with Fran as we saw last year with PG switch mid year is he greatly values a PG who doesn’t turn it over and takes care of the ball and Harding is that type of PG.
Where did you get that Gesell was athletic? He was a good dribbler and ran a good offensive, but he was not quick as he very rarely drove to the basket and drew fouls or even finished around the basket.
Sorry, but saying Brock is not as athletic as Gesell is 100% wrong and it's not even close. You have your opinion and I have mine and I'm going to leave it at that.
We have another two years before any of this is resolved, I'm extremely glad that Brock was extended and scholarship and excepted, Brock will prove that he belongs and is a special once in a lifetime player.
Get your ass off the couch this winter and come to a Moline basketball game at Wharton field house, it will enlighten your perspective of Brock for sure.
In fact, to all of you that have doubts about Brock, it's only an hour drive from Iowa City to Moline, it might be a nice road trip to get a glimpse of not only Brock but Owen Freeman and maybe the next Illinois State class 4A State Championship team. You never know....

Last edited:
Hopefully Brock is similar shooter but better short game with the runners/finishing at the rim.
He does a great job on the finish imo. He’s bouncy enough to dunk, and he can finish equally well with both hands.

My favorite attribute are his handles. He’s got a pretty impressive arsenal of moves. And he’s just incredibly smooth.

Where did you get that Gesell was athletic? He was a good dribbler and ran a good offensive, but he was not quick as he very rarely drove to the basket and drew fouls or even finished around the basket.
Sorry, but saying Brock is not as athletic as Gesell is 100% wrong and it's not even close. You have your opinion and I have mine and I'm going to leave it at that.
We have another two years before any of this is resolved, I'm extremely glad that Brock was extended and scholarship and excepted, Brock will prove that he belongs and is a special once in a lifetime player.
Get your ass off the couch this winter and come to a Moline basketball game at Wharton field house, it will enlighten your perspective of Brock for sure.
In fact, to all of you that have doubts about Brock, it's only an hour drive from Iowa City to Moline, it might be a nice road trip to get a glimpse of not only Brock but Owen Freeman and maybe the next Illinois State class 4A State Championship team. You never know....
Gesell was very athletic….a lightning quick drive against UNC, at their place, ending with a terrific and explosive dunk…..would be one example.

No. But if I went to a race track, I'd bet on the Arabian Stallion over the Clydesdale because of genetic tendencies. I did appreciate Jbo the player and he had a place as a FT closer/part time pg, but JBO wasn't the type of pg that would carry a team to ncaa sweet16 or beyond. I can say that because he didn't. Hopefully Brock is similar shooter but better short game with the runners/finishing at the rim.

Brock Harding may be the exception to the rule..maybe he is lock down defender, great shooter, passer, has runners and floaters. Or maybe he is more in the mold of some of the others that were similar in build that have preceded him: Todd Berkenpas, Troy Skiner, Brodie Boyd, Gesell,,,,so I welcome Brock, but time will tell if he is a good B-ball player at the next level.
Whether or not he turns out to be a good player, if you have functional eyes you can conclude that his athleticism is much higher than Boyd or Skinner. Theres no need to wait for time to tell that, its just obvious.

Mike Gessel was athletic and a good defender so he doesn't fit with the others he just wasn't a great offensive player.

Gesell was actually a very good athlete. Could dunk with ease for his size. He was a very good defender. I just said from highlights not as athletic but not like I’m comparing to lil lick or even jbo. Also not where you are getting at in my post that I’m doubting him I actually like the commit and think it fits well for what Fran wants in a Pg. As for getting “my ass” to Moline for a game. I have a life and kids so I won’t be taking time to travel to the QC to watch some kid who isn’t family play HS b-ball.

You have it backwards.

Gessel was athletic but not a very good ballhandler for the big ten. He was the opposite of shifty but thats not athleticism.

He wasn't super quick but he was obviously explosive because he could dunk with ease at 6'1 and was an above average defender.

He didn't get to the basket because he couldn't shoot so his defenders gave him tons of space.

That said this kid is clearly a couple steps quicker than MG, quicker than most pgs in the big ten it looks like. I fully expect him to be better than MG.

Some of these comparisons are comical. If he reminds you of someone only he does this this and this better and without this, then he really doesn't remind you of that guy. To compare him to John Stockton is laughable. The guy dribbled down the court and either passed to Malone on the fast break or gave it to him on the pick and roll.

Practically the entire clip looks like he's out in his driveway trying to be Steph Curry. I know a majority of the posters on this board think the NBA is unwatchable but these kids grow up emulating guys like him. There's even a James Harden hop, skip, and step back three that I'm surprised didn't get called for traveling in a high school game.

He's small and thin so who knows how that will play in the Big Ten but it is a very entertaining video none the less. Having him and Nimmers in the mix as back up PGs isn't a bad thing.
He absolutely is working on the Steph Curry quick snap back on his 3's.

Reactions: hawkosx and BBHawk
You have it backwards.

Gessel was athletic but not a very good ballhandler for the big ten. He was the opposite of shifty but thats not athleticism.

He wasn't super quick but he was obviously explosive because he could dunk with ease at 6'1 and was an above average defender.

He didn't get to the basket because he couldn't shoot so his defenders gave him tons of space.

That said this kid is clearly a couple steps quicker than MG, quicker than most pgs in the big ten it looks like. I fully expect him to be better than MG.
You are correct and I will get all kinds of crap for this, but Gessel could get to the rim much better than Joe T. Notice I said "rim" and not "basket" as they are not the same in this reference. Gessel was very athletic, he just looks like Opie.

Reactions: RocknRollface
You are correct and I will get all kinds of crap for this, but Gessel could get to the rim much better than Joe T. Notice I said "rim" and not "basket" as they are not the same in this reference. Gessel was very athletic, he just looks like Opie.
Gessels problem was that he always sold out to try and attack the rim at full consistent speed.

At his size 7ft guys are going to size that up and block it most of the time.

He often actually needed to slow down and let the two on one develop. A good pg makes the defender committ then makes his choice to shoot or pass.

You have it backwards.

My cat has a better eye for basketball than this guy lmao.

Like most debates on this board, there is a lot of confirmation bias. Those that like Coach McCaffery as an evaluator of talent like Brock Harding. Those that disagree with Coach McCaffery as an evaluator of talent dislike the commitment.

Most of the legitimate criticism about McCaffery as a recruiter stems back to the 2014 and 2015 classes. Outside of those two years, he has put together consistent recruiting classes with B1G-level talent. That doesn't mean every player has turned into a major contributor, but they haven't been out of place on a B1G roster.

I do not know whether Harding will turn out to be a star, but you can see the traits that show why McCaffery made the scholarship offer. Good shooter, good court vision, good ball-handler. Like every Hawkeye recruit, I welcome him aboard and hope that he is a tremendous success.

Like most debates on this board, there is a lot of confirmation bias. Those that like Coach McCaffery as an evaluator of talent like Brock Harding. Those that disagree with Coach McCaffery as an evaluator of talent dislike the commitment.

Most of the legitimate criticism about McCaffery as a recruiter stems back to the 2014 and 2015 classes. Outside of those two years, he has put together consistent recruiting classes with B1G-level talent. That doesn't mean every player has turned into a major contributor, but they haven't been out of place on a B1G roster.

I do not know whether Harding will turn out to be a star, but you can see the traits that show why McCaffery made the scholarship offer. Good shooter, good court vision, good ball-handler. Like every Hawkeye recruit, I welcome him aboard and hope that he is a tremendous success.
This seems like a good, fair assessment…

I am going out on a limb here to say Coach Fran is aware of Harding's height and has considered this a great deal before extending him a scholarship offer. If you recall, many people have been mildly upset Fran did not offer sooner, fearing we were going to lose him. The kid has said he knows he needs to get stronger and he will. People have said the kid works extremely hard and that he has a chip on his shoulder. I predict he puts on several pounds of muscle and maybe another inch or two taller. We don't need him to come in and dominate as a freshman.....we will have Dasonte. But I really think he will be ready to come in and play backup pg minutes and then we will see how he develops from there. Short quick guards often give taller slower guards fits. Harding seemingly has a high basketball IQ which will help tremendously. Boys, I think we got ourselves a steal. Let's watch and see how it plays out.

Great….a short, undersized white point guard with no significant offers. Perfect! That will put us right up to the top of the conference and Final Four!
How many recruits that Fran either offered first or was one of the first got offered by a flashy school and spurned us in the end. The kid has a fire and has had pretty good chemistry on the aau circuit.

Reactions: RocknRollface
I honestly don't see how anyone could have a gripe with this offer after watching the tape.

Iowa has struggled big time to get playmaking pgs.

Even if he turns out to not be an impact guy how could you not take the chance given his obvious talent and lack of past options/ successes at this position?

Loading up on guards is how you win in the modern game.

People have said the kid works extremely hard and that he has a chip on his shoulder. I predict he puts on several pounds of muscle and maybe another inch or two taller. We don't need him to come in and dominate as a freshman.....we will have Dasonte.
Indeed, there are two four star recruit PGs before this kid. That's not the profile of a player the coaches think will see a great deal of playing time as a freshman. That doesn't mean he won't be a good junior and senior.

Frankly, the only real knock on this kid looks to be his size and skinny frame.

Reactions: AlvySinger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT