ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***PG Brock Harding commits to Iowa***

Looks like a very low release on his shot. And kind of a push shot? Not sure how that’s gonna work against tall athletic guards?
Kinda like JBo - but he looks faster than JBO so maybe it won't be as big of a problem for him.

I’m going to make a comparison without knowing a whole lot about his defense. His size, mentality and play making style remind me of T.J. McConnell. He already seems like a slightly more aggressive scorer than T.J. was in high school, but McConnell was a beast on defense for being 6ft once he filled out a bit. Also a coaches son.

Reactions: RocknRollface
His feel is elite. He has some Connor in him. Not surprised Fran loves. Makes quick decisions. Precise. Tight handles. Crisp, accurate passes. Good drive game. Can shoot some. Good athlete. Weakness is size.

Comp is Steve Nash.
Nash not a terrible comp but he was 6'3 and could operated with a defender on his hip.

I see Brock as all about maintaining separation from the defender.

I was thinking maybe Isaiah Thomas? (current player)

Small, super quick and shoots a lot of mid range floaters and runners.

Hawks have some guards with size, so this is a perfect chance to fill the smaller quicker guard role left by Joe T. Harding is bigger than Joe though. Huge differences in offensive and defensive roles obviously.
If Harding is 5’10” so he’s smaller than Joe. Joe is at least 6’.

Last edited:
Another PG that comes to mind and established himself as a quality player in Frans first couple years was Bryce Cartwright. Why it took 13 years to get another well rounded PG is beyond me, but I'm happy for Brock and am excited to not only see 2 Iowa Hawkeye recruits play at my alma mader, Moline this coming winter but get to see both of them play for my favorite College team for the foreseeable future. How good is that!
Gesel was a very good player but after an injury to his shoulder was never the same and was sporadic on offense and unreliable at the line when the pressure was on. That was my perception of him.
I take it you don't like Dasonte Bowen's film?

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Looks like a very low release on his shot. And kind of a push shot? Not sure how that’s gonna work against tall athletic guards?
If you are quick, have long range, and a good step back move, it is not a major problem. To me, his shooting motion and release point look very similar to Trae Young.

"offers from Bradley, Colorado State, Loyola, Drake, Illinois State, Western Illinois" hmm.

"offers from Bradley, Colorado State, Loyola, Drake, Illinois State, Western Illinois" hmm.
Yeah Iowa was the first P5 offer. With guys like Harding, sometimes that first power conference offer opens up a gateway for other offers. Remains to be seen if that will happen here. Less of a chance since he's committed to Iowa.
He is small and obviously isn't a can't miss prospect. There is a reason Iowa was his first power conference offer (his size). Doesn't mean he can't/won't succeed. He looks to be able to "play fast," has good change of direction and moxie. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up being really good, or if he doesn't' contribute a lot. Either could happen.

Another PG that comes to mind and established himself as a quality player in Frans first couple years was Bryce Cartwright. Why it took 13 years to get another well rounded PG is beyond me, but I'm happy for Brock and am excited to not only see 2 Iowa Hawkeye recruits play at my alma mader, Moline this coming winter but get to see both of them play for my favorite College team for the foreseeable future. How good is that!
Gesel was a very good player but after an injury to his shoulder was never the same and was sporadic on offense and unreliable at the line when the pressure was on. That was my perception of him.
Cartwright couldn't shoot and played terrible defense so not well rounded at all.

Id take just about every pg in the fran era over him.

People just remember Cartwright fondly because it was a small sample size from a time when expectations were very low.

Gessel was a big upgrade as a freshman.

If you are quick, have long range, and a good step back move, it is not a major problem. To me, his shooting motion and release point look very similar to Trae Young.
Thats a winner.

I knew he reminded me of someone and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Well done.

Cartwright couldn't shoot and played terrible defense so not well rounded at all.

Id take just about every pg in the fran era over him.

People just remember Cartwright fondly because it was a small sample size from a time when expectations were very low.

Gessel was a big upgrade as a freshman.

Every take that guy has is horrendus.

That was Tyler Ulis at one point, Tony Perkins, Murray bros ect.

Honestly the last thing I ever worry about with Fran is talent evaluation.

He always identifies good players early, the problem is he usually ends up second after they blow up.

Nash not a terrible comp but he was 6'3 and could operated with a defender on his hip.

I see Brock as all about maintaining separation from the defender.

I was thinking maybe Isaiah Thomas? (current player)

Small, super quick and shoots a lot of mid range floaters and runners.

True about Nash. I feel like IT was more score first, and Brock is more all around. IT was stronger but no comp is perfect. The Trae Young comp is good and his finish moves at the rim remind me of Steph Curry.

A comp is just who he reminds you of, not an indicator of how his career will play out. Im not suggesting he is a blend of six hall of fame point guards.

True about Nash. I feel like IT was more score first, and Brock is more all around. IT was stronger but no comp is perfect. The Trae Young comp is good and his finish moves at the rim remind me of Steph Curry.

A comp is just who he reminds you of, not an indicator of how his career will play out. Im not suggesting he is a blend of six hall of fame point guards.
For sure. A player can be similar in style to another while not being nearly as good.

Reactions: perryhawk
Because 95 of the top 100 college b-ball recruits each year are black. This isn’t a golf team or swim team! You show me a college b-ball team with a white point guard, and I’ll show you a team enjoying good seats for the NIT.
Have you even watched the film? The kid is fast, great handles, and a good jumper. He’s a good player lol.

You show me a college b-ball team with a white point guard, and I’ll show you a team enjoying good seats for the NIT.
Jay Wright and Villanova say hello. From the 2022 Final Four.

Look, this kid does not play like a typical “white point guard.” Second, drop the race act. It’s not amusing. This kid has a chance to be good at this level. And it’s not like Iowa doesn’t have other options at the point for the foreseeable future.

Chill, Outrage Roy.

Because 95 of the top 100 college b-ball recruits each year are black. This isn’t a golf team or swim team! You show me a college b-ball team with a white point guard, and I’ll show you a team enjoying good seats for the NIT.
That’s just flat out false. just look at rivals top 150. Funny #1 recruit from last year who just got drafted 2nd last night was just “a tall skinny white kid”. Take your racist BS elsewhere.

As for Harding he reminds me bit of Gesell. Not quite as athletic but highlight film shows for his height has some hops and can dunk. Could be better shooter and passer than mike. Thing is with Fran as we saw last year with PG switch mid year is he greatly values a PG who doesn’t turn it over and takes care of the ball and Harding is that type of PG.

As for Harding he reminds me bit of Gesell. Not quite as athletic but highlight film shows for his height has some hops and can dunk. Could be better shooter and passer than mike. Thing is with Fran as we saw last year with PG switch mid year is he greatly values a PG who doesn’t turn it over and takes care of the ball and Harding is that type of PG.

He looks to be a much better shooter than Gesell. That was really only his problem, and pressure free throws. Other than that Gesell was a good player. If he could have played like he did at north Carolina night in and night out he would have went down as one of the best hawks ever.

I like the looks of this harding kid

Lol, he wasn't being racist at all. Just stating a fact. I wish everyone would get off their racist bull crap

It's only "racism" when it's about white people?

Back to the point: this young man is as hard-working as Lebron, and he plays with an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

His style of play reminds me of another undersized Hawkeye who got zero other P-5 offers and who became an NFL superbowl champion and the best at his position: Bob Sanders.

Hmmm. Basically two time national player of the year Garza, white guy? Past Iowa snowflakes, Street, Settles, White, Kunnert, Lohaus, Koch, Bowen, Bullard, Utoff, Garza, Hansen, Wieskamp, all all conf, some AA most played professionally.

It's only "racism" when it's about white people?

Back to the point: this young man is as hard-working as Lebron, and he plays with an even bigger chip on his shoulder.

His style of play reminds me of another undersized Hawkeye who got zero other P-5 offers and who became an NFL superbowl champion and the best at his position: Bob Sanders.
Hopefully he’s a little less physical than the Hitman

Lol, he wasn't being racist at all. Just stating a fact. I wish everyone would get off their racist bull crap
When you criticize a recruit and put down in his negatives as he did such as size, lack of offers then throw in he’s white. Then yes that is being racist considering Iowa just put 2 white guys in nba year prior. Yes I agree there are far more black players rated higher in college b-ball and even more higher % of players in the nba. But his 95 out of 100 is an over exaggeration and flat out not true. but when you throw in the ethnicity in the context as why a kid isn’t a good recruit that is definitely racist comment no matter the race.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT