ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***PG Brock Harding commits to Iowa***

How many recruits that Fran either offered first or was one of the first got offered by a flashy school and spurned us in the end. The kid has a fire and has had pretty good chemistry on the aau circuit.
Yes he has. I can see where people can and criticize his coaching but Fran has proven at Iowa with players he’s recruited and offered early and some he’s gotten that weren’t 4* he’s got a good eye for talent. Early on with someone like Aaron white, to obviously the Murrays but Fran was on Garza before any of the big schools. You can throw in JBo and even CJ Fredrick which also got a lot of criticism for taking him.

Yes he has. I can see where people can and criticize his coaching but Fran has proven at Iowa with players he’s recruited and offered early and some he’s gotten that weren’t 4* he’s got a good eye for talent. Early on with someone like Aaron white, to obviously the Murrays but Fran was on Garza before any of the big schools. You can throw in JBo and even CJ Fredrick which also got a lot of criticism for taking him.
Three consecutive first team AAs will penetrate into the recruiting world. Doesn't Iowa have two schollies left? A big rookie year by Keegan will also help raise the recruiting profile.

Unfortunately, I think the NIL will have an even worse affect than football long term. Not as many players to hire so the bidding will start on higher plane.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
We have another two years before any of this is resolved, I'm extremely glad that Brock was extended and scholarship and excepted, Brock will prove that he belongs and is a special once in a lifetime player.
So are we talking NPOY? B1GPOY? Once in a lifetime player is pretty much the ultimate praise. You sure you want to stand by that?

Anyway, despite this somewhat hyperbolic declaration, welcome to Iowa Brock. Looking forward to what you can bring the team.

Last edited:
Cannot say I love the gray hair part but Brock has looked good against good competition. He is skinny but quick. He looks to have good floor division and a good shot. Not every recruit works out but most do. The 2019 class, about which I was completely wrong, has given me a new confidence that McC can find players where others aren't looking.

Because 95 of the top 100 college b-ball recruits each year are black. This isn’t a golf team or swim team! You show me a college b-ball team with a white point guard, and I’ll show you a team enjoying good seats for the NIT.
Multiple recently great Villanova teams?

Reactions: littlez
Is Rivals unaware of the talented Mr Harding?
Will he get an updated rating after ripping it up on the summer circut?

Where did you get that Gesell was athletic? He was a good dribbler and ran a good offensive, but he was not quick as he very rarely drove to the basket and drew fouls or even finished around the basket.
Sorry, but saying Brock is not as athletic as Gesell is 100% wrong and it's not even close. You have your opinion and I have mine and I'm going to leave it at that.
We have another two years before any of this is resolved, I'm extremely glad that Brock was extended and scholarship and excepted, Brock will prove that he belongs and is a special once in a lifetime player.
Get your ass off the couch this winter and come to a Moline basketball game at Wharton field house, it will enlighten your perspective of Brock for sure.
In fact, to all of you that have doubts about Brock, it's only an hour drive from Iowa City to Moline, it might be a nice road trip to get a glimpse of not only Brock but Owen Freeman and maybe the next Illinois State class 4A State Championship team. You never know....
As good of dunker as he was he was a better defender. He dug down on posts as well as anyone in the Fran era including Joe T.

Gesell was a top 100 recruit for a reason...he was very good.
I think it is a bit unfair to compare an unranked player to a top 100 guy.
Maybe Harding will get upgraded after his strong summer but I wonder if his small stature will keep him from moving up.

Gesell was a top 100 recruit for a reason...he was very good.
I think it is a bit unfair to compare an unranked player to a top 100 guy.
Maybe Harding will get upgraded after his strong summer but I wonder if his small stature will keep him from moving up.
Yep. Mike was a good player. People forget he dealt with injury issues quite a bit his last couple of years that limited his play.

Because 95 of the top 100 college b-ball recruits each year are black. This isn’t a golf team or swim team! You show me a college b-ball team with a white point guard, and I’ll show you a team enjoying good seats for the NIT.
that’s a Roy L Eee fuched up statement

Who cares, liberals get their panties in a bind way to easy
it’s a racist take because he’s judging the kids potential solely on the color of his skin….. it’s not that hard to understand

doesn’t offend me or upset me….. just makes him and people defending what he said look ignorant…..and that’s totally within your rights

sounds pretty racist to me dude
Most of the top players in college basketball, NBA basketball, college football and pro football are black. And it's by a WIDE margin. That's not racist at all. It's a fact. This only gets racist when we start discussing the reasons why this might be. But the simple fact that the vast majority of the best players are black is definitely not racist.

Most of the top players in college basketball, NBA basketball, college football and pro football are black. And it's by a WIDE margin. That's not racist at all. It's a fact. This only gets racist when we start discussing the reasons why this might be. But the simple fact that the vast majority of the best players are black is definitely not racist.
again….. perceiving a particular players potential because of skin color is the very definition of racist

Doesn’t really offend me but

you can debate the degree or offensiveness all you want but it’s a racist statement

after all that the U of I has been through I can’t believe this needs debated…..

I don’t disagree that people are too easily offended nowadays and people go out of their way to find things to be offended by in a lot of cases but if we’re going to begin to address the racism problem we probably need to at least identify what is a racist comment

I’m and old white guy so there’s absolutely nothing about it that offends me…… just makes ole Roy look ignorant….. I’m ok with that and apparently he is too

racist​

adjective
Save Word
To save this word, you'll need to log in.

rac·ist | \ ˈrā-sist also -shist \

Definition of racist​

(Entry 1 of 2)
: of, relating to, or characterized by racism: such as
a: having, reflecting, or fostering the belief that race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: topherchris20
again….. perceiving a particular players potential because of skin color is the very definition of racist

Doesn’t really offend me but

you can debate the degree or offensiveness all you want but it’s a racist statement

after all that the U of I has been through I can’t believe this needs debated…..

I don’t disagree that people are too easily offended nowadays and people go out of their way to find things to be offended by in a lot of cases but if we’re going to begin to address the racism problem we probably need to at least identify what is a racist comment

I’m and old white guy so there’s absolutely nothing about it that offends me…… just makes ole Roy look ignorant….. I’m ok with that and apparently he is too

racist​

adjective
Save Word

Definition of racist​

(Entry 1 of 2)
a: having, reflecting, or fostering the belief that race (see RACE entry 1 sense 1a) is a fundamental determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
Can't teach this in Iowa any longer...

Reactions: natchrlman

racist​

adjective
Save Word

Definition of racist​

(Entry 1 of 2)
Can't teach this in Iowa any longer...
straight from Merriam-Webster….. I could say more but you know “politics”…. this ain’t the place

Flashy passing is always something I enjoy watching.....in this case it shows an unbelievable ability to know where teammates are at all times.....just incredible.

Many wonder if Brock can guard B1G guards. I wonder if B1G guards can guard him. ;)

EDIT: a story from yesterday has Owen saying he is now 6'11. Brock is listed at 6'0.

7KO6CtWB

Last edited:
Great vid and highlights..would an Iowa comp be a quicker, flashier Jbo?
I honestly think someone else already mentioned it. In the highlights he looks like a combo of Gesell's athleticism and passing with JBo's ball handling and shooting. All three of those guys are roughly the same height and the older two were able to be successful in the Big Ten before injuries hit. At that height, driving to the hoop and finishing is tough in the Big Ten if you don't have good moves and shooting is hard if you don't have JBo's deep range.

I honestly think someone else already mentioned it. In the highlights he looks like a combo of Gesell's athleticism and passing with JBo's ball handling and shooting. All three of those guys are roughly the same height and the older two were able to be successful in the Big Ten before injuries hit. At that height, driving to the hoop and finishing is tough in the Big Ten if you don't have good moves and shooting is hard if you don't have JBo's deep range.
At 6ft ideally you need to be able to shoot and be fast and quick.

If you have all 3 you're good to go.

If one area is lacking teams will figure it out it, overplay your strengths and dare you to use your weakness.

Opponents overplayed JBO and gave Gessel tons of room because both lacked the ability to make them pay.

It appears Brock will not have a hole in his game to exploit. You don't necessarily need to finish at the rim if you can beat the initial ball pressure and hit mid range shots.

Last edited:
At 6ft ideally you need to be able to shoot and be fast and quick.

If you have all 3 your good to go.

If one area is lacking teams will figure it out it, overplay your strengths and dare you to use your weakness.

Opponents overplayed JBO and gave Gessel tons of room because both lacked the ability to make them pay.

It appears Brock will not have a hole in his game to exploit. You don't necessarily need to finish at the rim if you can beat the initial ball pressure and hit mid range shots.
You can also get to the rim with one good move when you have a wide open court, often the case in Iowa's wide open offense.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Gesell and JBo really struggled to finish in the paint. Mordant and Steph Curry can do it but they.are 6'3". Morant led the NBA in paint points.
But not many smallish guys can go to the hoop.and make it in power 5 college ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT