ADVERTISEMENT

PGA Tour, Europe to Merge With Saudis and End LIV Litigation

I'm very confused and concerned about this. Why couldn't the PGA just let the LIV players stay in the PGA and play in the tournaments? Why did they have to merge?

image.php

Minor correction. "Love of money".

PGA loves money more than golf.... Which is funny, because they have been ripping on LIV and players that went to LIV for 3+ years about them taking money over "legacy".

Will be interesting how tarnished the PGA image remains after this. It will be BAD for awhile, but how much does that be forgotten and fans still tune in?

It just feels like the PGA and LIV are both winners today and the players are the only ones that lost. If you stuck with the PGA and didn't take a payday, well you missed out on some serious money. And if you went to LIV like DJ where he said he gets paid more to work less, well looks like that's over also! LOL.. I'd feel sorry for any of them if they weren't all rich already.

That said, I'll still watch whenever it's on and I have nothing going on, don't let the politics of sports ruin your enjoyment of actual sports if you like to watch them. If that was the case I wouldn't be able to watch any sport.

Reactions: hawkland14
Ed Herlihy is the Chairman of the PGA Tour Policy Board and his firm will handle the merger (big fee) and then he will move from a volunteer board member at the PGA Tour to a paid board member at the new for profit corporation?

Ed Herlihy is the Chairman of the PGA Tour Policy Board and his firm will handle the merger (big fee) and then he will move from a volunteer board member at the PGA Tour to a paid board member at the new for profit corporation?
Always thought it’s sketchy when lawyers on boards have their firms do work for those companies.

Reactions: mnole03
It just feels like the PGA and LIV are both winners today and the players are the only ones that lost. If you stuck with the PGA and didn't take a payday, well you missed out on some serious money. And if you went to LIV like DJ where he said he gets paid more to work less, well looks like that's over also! LOL.. I'd feel sorry for any of them if they weren't all rich already.

That said, I'll still watch whenever it's on and I have nothing going on, don't let the politics of sports ruin your enjoyment of actual sports if you like to watch them. If that was the case I wouldn't be able to watch any sport.

Its ruined college sports already.

It’s just disappointing to see the Saudis making inroads like this. We deal with them because we currently have no choice, but it’s gross they can buy their way to legitimacy.

And yeah, I know US isn’t perfect…blah blah
We have a choice... we just don't have the will.

My uncle (dad's brother) was a pretty big wig for Standard Oil (ESSO and then Exxon) in the 70-80s. We knew then that the US has enough oil for several lifetimes. That was only ANWR back then and now the Permian Basin.

We just pretend we don't have a choice.

Reactions: hawkland14
Funny how this goes down on the anniversary of D Day and the Saudis announce they are cutting oil production by 1,000,000 barrels of oil a day.

It is all about money and always has been. Just be honest with the American people instead of the scum bag Jay Monaghan has finally revealed himself to be and a politician that makes statements and thinks we all forgot what he said previously.

Boys....before you “Pooh-Pooh” what JR is saying here, Understand there is at least a grain of two of truth in what he says.

What the Saudi’s want is total control and what the PGA wants is to monopolize world golf.....Both have found the beginnings of common ground here...and in the long run, that cannot be good for most of us.

Be wary. Don’t let these two entities (Saudi’s/PGA) use your politics against your own best interests. This is becoming more and more about much more than sports.
LOL. more insightful analysis from joel

I'm very confused and concerned about this. Why couldn't the PGA just let the LIV players stay in the PGA and play in the tournaments? Why did they have to merge?

image.php
The PGA Tour was going to struggle to get the money for their new schedule. They needed the funding and did not want to go to trial and be subject to discovery. Maybe they learned something from the DOJ investigation.
PIF just wanted to get involved in golf and tried in 2018 with the PGA Tour, who said no. LIV was started and put the PGA Tour in a tough spot. Monihan is a bad leader with no vision and got paid well today in spite of that

yeah, there really is nothing quite like two litigants who have been insulting each other for the last year suddenly kissing and making up.
LIV just wanted to get into golf and did not want to go to trial, PGA Tour definitely did not want to go to trial/discovery and could not compete financially with LIV in the long run, this is the result

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT