ADVERTISEMENT

PGA Tour, Europe to Merge With Saudis and End LIV Litigation

Monaghan isn’t really the “bad guy” in this mess either. Monaghan is just the guy who was “there” when all this crap fell in to place" .

You can't be serious!

He's the head honcho bad guy.

He could have said NO to the $$$$$$$$$$$.

The PGA doesn't need LIV. LIV needs the PGA.

He sold the PGA and his soul to the Saudi's.

Last edited:
You can't be serious!

Yeah Monaghan might be the worst commissioner in sports history. He put all these dudes in horrible situations with literally no details or anything but there is a big partnership and The Saudis essentially own the PGA. Also the comments on 9/11 where he was using that to try and strengthen the PGAs position is despicable. Horrible look

Reactions: NoleinATL
You can't be serious!

The more I hear about this the more I think the Saudis were ready to bury the PGA by ramping up the offers. What they’ve done in golf and other sports (especially soccer) makes that clear. They will literally throw millions on millions at something and not even blink.

I think Rory is still processing how he got hung out to dry, and how his “bosses” used him and sold him out. He has no choice but to take it, unless he wants to quit golf. That has to be incredibly frustrating.

Monahan and Dunne and Herlihy sound like complete pieces of shit in every way possible. Even if they did what they needed to do to save the PGA.

You can't be serious!

No he couldn’t have said “no”....not knowing what he knew. I would have to think Monaghan was “maneuvered and guided” every step of the way. However, he did know what was coming before most others did..I disagree... that Monaghan “sold” the PGA down the river....I think it is more that the Saudi’s bought into what Jay was telling them...so they decided to maximize their holdings....just as the PGA saw this as their best opportunity yo control their destiny in the foreseeable future.
So.....both sides are happy, both sides are wary of the other and a few golfers have their toes stepped on. Sounds like a business deal to me.

No he couldn’t have said “no”....not knowing what he knew. I would have to think Monaghan was “maneuvered and guided” every step of the way. However, he did know what was coming before most others did..I disagree... that Monaghan “sold” the PGA down the river....I think it is more that the Saudi’s bought into what Jay was telling them...so they decided to maximize their holdings....just as the PGA saw this as their best opportunity yo control their destiny in the foreseeable future.
So.....both sides are happy, both sides are wary of the other and a few golfers have their toes stepped on. Sounds like a business deal to me.
I honestly think with the pending lawsuit that the PGA didn’t want their tax exempt status to be challenged at all. They made it a point to say the are still Tax Exempt in the initial release. Also the Saudis can litigate and bleed money from the PGA for years

Reactions: NoleinATL
I honestly think with the pending lawsuit that the PGA didn’t want their tax exempt status to be challenged at all. They made it a point to say the are still Tax Exempt in the initial release. Also the Saudis can litigate and bleed money from the PGA for years
That is certainly key here. The PGA bainraining its “tax exempt” status might be the most important element in this entire negotiation Churches as not tge inky folks who get to use the tax code to promote their agendas abs their ideas.

So.....both sides are happy,
You sure about that?

Sounds like many of the players on the PGA are pretty pissed.

"I feel Betrayed"
"The hypocrisy"
“Shocked and confused.”
“Disgusted. They didn’t tell us anything.”
"The hell is going on?"
"Nothing like finding out through Twitter that we’re merging with a tour that we said we’d never do that with."

Look at all the happy!

giphy.gif

Interesting take. Losing Rahm would have been disastrous. Is there another sport as big as golf where this could happen?

Thoughts on PGA / LIV

1.) The PGA was in a war with LIV and the arms race was starting to turn in favour of LIV. (Rumour: John Rahm had agreed in principle to join LIV for next year)So, the PGA was starting to see LIV become more accepted, players could play in Majors, they still do well & WIN. Once the dam breaks, it’s over for the PGA. They had to do something.

2.) The Lawsuits were looking like they were going to favour LIV in the end. The money the PGA has to fight this + keep players + elevated events + lack of sponsorship $$$ for the Non-Elevated events = PGA is running out of cash.

3.) When coming to a deal, it’s best when the least amount of people are involved. If Jay Monahan spoke to players about this, it could have killed the deal because of their strong moral stance they had taken. This hardlined stance is the core of the issue. Jay never told the PGA players the actual extent of their inability to keep up with the Saudis & LIV. He had them fight his fight for him, without giving them all of the facts. He turned a business issue into a personal issue & hung the players out to dry. Not good. Not wrong, however, just shady.

Conclusion.) I think the PGA could see the writing on the wall with the lawsuits, how serious LIV is about golf, how deep their pockets are, players now coming around to the idea of going, the declining non-elevated events & Jay Monahan had to do the unpopular thing with the players / media and join with LIV. Realistically, how could the PGA ever compete with a league that has unlimited money that is going to pump “whatever it takes” to be successful. Sometimes strong leadership does the unpopular thing in the moment for the long term success of the organization. Jay Monahan is a hypocrite & he hung his players out to dry, but he is not wrong for doing what he did.

Reactions: themelrosemauler
Interesting take. Losing Rahm would have been disastrous. Is there another sport as big as golf where this could happen?

Thoughts on PGA / LIV

1.) The PGA was in a war with LIV and the arms race was starting to turn in favour of LIV. (Rumour: John Rahm had agreed in principle to join LIV for next year)So, the PGA was starting to see LIV become more accepted, players could play in Majors, they still do well & WIN. Once the dam breaks, it’s over for the PGA. They had to do something.

2.) The Lawsuits were looking like they were going to favour LIV in the end. The money the PGA has to fight this + keep players + elevated events + lack of sponsorship $$$ for the Non-Elevated events = PGA is running out of cash.

3.) When coming to a deal, it’s best when the least amount of people are involved. If Jay Monahan spoke to players about this, it could have killed the deal because of their strong moral stance they had taken. This hardlined stance is the core of the issue. Jay never told the PGA players the actual extent of their inability to keep up with the Saudis & LIV. He had them fight his fight for him, without giving them all of the facts. He turned a business issue into a personal issue & hung the players out to dry. Not good. Not wrong, however, just shady.

Conclusion.) I think the PGA could see the writing on the wall with the lawsuits, how serious LIV is about golf, how deep their pockets are, players now coming around to the idea of going, the declining non-elevated events & Jay Monahan had to do the unpopular thing with the players / media and join with LIV. Realistically, how could the PGA ever compete with a league that has unlimited money that is going to pump “whatever it takes” to be successful. Sometimes strong leadership does the unpopular thing in the moment for the long term success of the organization. Jay Monahan is a hypocrite & he hung his players out to dry, but he is not wrong for doing what he did.
I disagree. This PGA would have been fine with the lawsuits and even with Rahm leaving. I’m convinced the Saudis were nearing the end of how much they were willing to spend.

LIV was an unwatchable product. It was never going to make money. Their tournaments weren’t competitive. The incentives never made sense.

The PGA Tour could have waited them out until 2025.

That is certainly key here. The PGA bainraining its “tax exempt” status might be the most important element in this entire negotiation Churches as not tge inky folks who get to use the tax code to promote their agendas abs their ideas.
And universities

Reactions: TennNole17
You sure about that?

Sounds like many of the players on the PGA are pretty pissed.

"I feel Betrayed"
"The hypocrisy"
“Shocked and confused.”
“Disgusted. They didn’t tell us anything.”
"The hell is going on?"
"Nothing like finding out through Twitter that we’re merging with a tour that we said we’d never do that with."

Look at all the happy!

giphy.gif
In a few months they will all realize they have a job, they have an opportunity and a chance to move on….there will be a few who will be hurt, for sure but that is life. There is more than enough money to be spread around so most will be “ok”…….I am not saying this doesn’t suck but morals and ethics have no place in today’s world of unbridled capitalism. Inevitably, there are going to be losers in the game……Adam Smith designed the game that way.
What the world needs to understand is that the Chinese and Saudi’s control the monopoly board right now……They are choosing to use the US dollar as its currency, but
And universities
How so?
If these “tax free” folks have building they use for their (primary) work, I’m ok with tax free…..it’s when they use properties to pursue other interests that I question. Schools would be included in the later, In am sure.
I once heard that over 30% of the property in greater Boston was “tax exempt” as it was property of “tax free” institutions….in Boston primarily the Catholic Church. To me that is an nabusive usage of the rules…..For me, in most cases, the Church and the parsonage should be tax exempt…..Hospitals and its immediate associated administration buildings be tax free…..schools/universitit’s….their campus buildings, labs, classrooms, dorms and such….but not so much “gifted properties” that are gifted to save previous owners tax obligationo upon tranmsferal Of ownership………
There are too many transparent scams out there that benefit property holders and are liabilities to cities and their residents.

The sheer genius here, is they can sabotage our energy supplies and manipulate our elections with tons of ads run during golf tournaments, and they are effectively "paying themselves" with the ad money they use to run them....

Really, a brilliant strategy IMO. Totally F***s the USA, but conservatives won't care here.

The sheer genius here, is they can sabotage our energy supplies and manipulate our elections with tons of ads run during golf tournaments, and they are effectively "paying themselves" with the ad money they use to run them....

Really, a brilliant strategy IMO. Totally F***s the USA, but conservatives won't care here.

LOL, suck it Monahan

Hopefully it passes.

I never said China had anything to do with 911. I said why all the hate on the Saudis when the NBA, Nike, Hollywood, business in general all are sleeping with China and no one cares. But the Saudis buy their way into golf and the sports world goes crazy. I hate two separate standards for the same crime.
You didn’t mention the Trump family. I agree with you about China. I have zero clue how to fight them economically. Anything we can do seems to hurt us. I admit ignorance on China and how to “combat” them.

For the people who thought that the PGA needed to do this, LIV had lower ratings than pickleball last weekend.

For the people who thought that the PGA needed to do this, LIV had lower ratings than pickleball last weekend.
Yeah I’d say other than the majors (and by that, I mean pretty much the Masters and US Open), pro golf as a tv product is dead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT