ADVERTISEMENT

Phil got outcoached

it wasn't his best game, that's for sure

although usually you get SOMETHING our of your offense to sustain a few drives and maybe score a couple points
That would definitely help if we had an offense. If our O could keep the ball more than 3 plays every series the other team doesn't get as many chances to have the ball. Who would have thought.
Our D played great first half, worn out in the second.
This shit show bothers them too, they see the stupid incompetence.
They aren't dumb.

Reactions: QChawks and dadster
That outcoached defense gave up a grand total of 10 points in the first half to the number 6 team in the country with the only touchdown coming off a special teams miscue resulting in a short field. Given the complete collapse of the Iowa offense it was game over at that point.

But yeah, let's call out Phil and the defense. Makes sense.
Plus we couldn't recover a muffed punt and that one play was a back wards pass

Let's all of you stop with the excuses now.

We can all admit this is not the 2022 defense. They have flaws and we can point them out. Therefore we also don't get to spend all our time blaming the offense like in 2022.

The defense was giving up multiple lengthy drives well before they should've been "getting tired".
I'm not saying the defense is without flaws, but to expect them to play at an elite level when they're on the field for 75% of the game is unreasonable. There is no question that the defense is not as good as last year's. I don't think anyone is saying otherwise, but at some point we have to accept the fact that they are human beings. 97 plays for the defense compared to 33 plays for the offense means the problems are not with the defense. The fact that we only gave up 10 points in the first half is a freaking miracle. At that point, we were theoretically still in the game. But our offense proved to be not up to the task.
You win football games by scoring more points than you allow. If your offense cannot move the ball 10 yards in 4 plays, let alone actually score points, means you cannot win games.

PSU online was much bigger than our D line and everyone could see the second half collapse coming when our offense can give them even a short break off the field. Our defense isn’t as good as last year, especially with losing our best D lineman for the season
Our DL isn't close to being the wrecking machine they have been.

Odd how neither lines are the same since Doyle left.

Reactions: KFsdisciple
That outcoached defense gave up a grand total of 10 points in the first half to the number 6 team in the country with the only touchdown coming off a special teams miscue resulting in a short field. Given the complete collapse of the Iowa offense it was game over at that point.

Serious question - Did the Capt indirectly call out the Defense in the post game presser as well? (I am too lazy to research) TIA to anyone.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Serious question - Did the Capt indirectly call out the Defense in the post game presser as well? (I am too lazy to research) TIA to anyone.
I don't know, but I do recall him complaining about some early success by the opponent during a previous presser. Might have been talking about the ISU game. I thought it was a deflection from the horrible offense we'd been seeing. It might have been before the Western Michigan game where he was also telling everyone what a challenge the WM defense was going to be to prepare for. The same WM defense that just allowed 49 points and 500 yards vs Syracuse.

Someone needs to explain that rule to Kirk and the Iowa staff. There were at least 2 occasions in that game and a few others in previous games where an overturn of a critical play was a distinct possibility.
No challenge. Mind boggling. The zero logic never stops with him at this point. I have no clue what Kirk is thinking.
The whole sports world sees it but him..

If by outcoached meaning he'd have the defense out there for 90+ plays then yes. PSU didn't start having their way with the Iowa defense until after they had been out there for over 50 plays, something that is what a team with even a mediocre offense would see. Even if they weren't tired, that's a lot of plays to figure out where there are spots in the defense they can attack. I can't fault Phil for that. For 2.5 quarters they played well enough to win the game and if they literally hadn't played basically all of those 2.5 quarters they would have been able to keep it close all game.

I think the MSU game might give a good preview of the rest of the season. I am thinking Iowa by two td's.
A loss would look bad.
A close win leaves a question mark.

The defense isn’t as good this year as ti was in the past and they were on the field all night. Not sure Parker got outcoached, but out played is certainly a thing.

Reactions: unclesammy
Phil is great but not a miracle worker. When Iowa's offense does NOTHING and the D has to defend for 45 minutes and 60+ plays, they, like almost any other college D will get exposed. This is not new. See Michigan and OSU last year. See Michigan in B10 Title Game the year before.
Oh, and this year's D is less talented than last year's. The D got out-horsed, not out-coached

The offense is beyond broken but the D has not been good at putting pressure on the qb, dont care how good your lb's or db's are if the qb can sit back their he will find open recievers. Dont seem to have athletic/ speed rushers on the edge.

So, once again, yes, the offense is terrible. In case the original post wasn't clear, this wreck was on the offense first and foremost. Nope, the defense didn't lose fumbles, yada, yada, yada. I get that.

But giving up 13 3rd and 4th down (combines) conversions is not a great night for defense regardless of what the offense is doing. Giving up 400 yards of offense is not what a great defense does when they play a great team. For this game, we got schooled. That was the point. Some people can't accept that, and that's okay.

At least we all agree that the offense is a complete mess. Go Hawks.

The offense is beyond broken but the D has not been good at putting pressure on the qb, dont care how good your lb's or db's are if the qb can sit back their he will find open recievers. Dont seem to have athletic/ speed rushers on the edge.
You might be right with this but it's hard for me to judge with the giant black hole of an offense Iowa has.

Reactions: Bones Malone
yeah the defense has been designed to not give up big plays, force teams into mistakes somewhere along the drive .
Problem is good teams rarely make mistakes. They take what the defense gives them and that’s exactly what PSU did..methodically drive it down our throats.
Phil’s reluctance to blitz at all was a big time mistake..Allar had all day to find guys open . Disappointing performance . But hard to do anything when you’re on the damn field for 45 damn minutes!
That’s pathetic .
I doubt blitzing would have done much good. They were always in managable downs. The QB was extremely accurate with his throws. They always had a wide open WR with no defender in sight on the sidelines for a 6 yard gain. Suppose if the pressed the once in awhile that would be helpful.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
The main thing the three and outs do to a defense like Iowa's is not give any time at all for adjustments and in-game coaching/teaching. We get better as the game goes on (typically) because our staff has time to analyze and adjust to what the opponent is doing.

When you go three and out in a matter of 2-3 minutes of real time, that opportunity is nonexistent.
Wow, what a concept.. What if the offense did the same??

dumb op. a semi competent offensive coach would keep his defense off the field. What you say was one team getting to run more and more plays because they got more opportunities and that wears on a defense. Nothing more nothing less.

Reactions: TailgateTom
Iowa’s defense forced them into long drives with the hope of getting a turnover and possible field goal instead of touchdowns. Too bad Iowa’s offense isn’t capable of these same things.

97 plays to 34
397 yards to 74
46 minutes to 14

Clearly, Phil’s fault.
This x100. You need to look no further. That offense is one of the worst I've ever seen and it has nothing to do with the players. Right now Phil is expected to pitch shut outs for us to even have a chance to win. I bet Phil would give up his entire salary for the chance to punch Boy Wunder in the face.

Reactions: littlez
That would definitely help if we had an offense. If our O could keep the ball more than 3 plays every series the other team doesn't get as many chances to have the ball. Who would have thought.
Our D played great first half, worn out in the second.
This shit show bothers them too, they see the stupid incompetence.
They aren't dumb.
#30 is well coached to run up real quickly after the play is over. Great coaching. Seriously, a Big 10 team cannot find anything better than that. What a joke.

My only observation was Harris gave too much cushion most of the game.

Otherwise it was just a matter that the defense wore down against 97 plays.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
I doubt blitzing would have done much good. They were always in managable downs. The QB was extremely accurate with his throws. They always had a wide open WR with no defender in sight on the sidelines for a 6 yard gain. Suppose if the pressed the once in awhile that would be helpful.
Mixing in more blitzes along with press coverage would have helped in this game. The few times we got pressure, he easily hit the 7-10 yd pass with all that cushion. I noticed a couple times we did blitz, the guy would hesitate (assume to make sure no run to their side?) & then go......too late to impact the QB, especially with soft coverage.

I love me some Phil, but this game shows he doesn't always make the right adjustments. Like last year against Nebby when he didn't move Moss over to cover their top receiver until our backups had given up multiple TDs.

I think the MSU game might give a good preview of the rest of the season. I am thinking Iowa by two td's.
A loss would look bad.
A close win leaves a question mark.
Two of the most over paid coaches in the big ten going at it😂

Who are you and where did you come from exactly?
Who I am doesn’t matter, and I come from Iowa. If you don’t think the MSU coach who received that giant pay raise after one good year, and Ferentz don’t get the most money for their results, then who do you think are the most overpaid in the big ten??

Who I am doesn’t matter, and I come from Iowa. If you don’t think the MSU coach who received that giant pay raise after one good year, and Ferentz don’t get the most money for their RT, then who do you think are the most overpaid in the big
Just surprising that a guy that knows so much about Mel Tucker wouldn't know that he doesn't work there anymore.

This x100. You need to look no further. That offense is one of the worst I've ever seen and it has nothing to do with the players. Right now Phil is expected to pitch shut outs for us to even have a chance to win. I bet Phil would give up his entire salary for the chance to punch Boy Wunder in the face.
Forget shutouts. Phil is expected to score points for us to have a chance to win. How many times did the defense score more points than the offense last season? Off the top of my head South Dakota St, Rutgers, and Ohio State for sure!

It wasn't a great defensive effort by any stretch of the imagination because they weren't able to get stops or turnovers. The offense of course was beyond terrible.

I wouldn't say Phil was outcoached. He just has less talent this year than he had last year which was exceptionally good defense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT