ADVERTISEMENT

Pick a side in the Caitlin Clark-Angel Reese rivalry, but don’t look away

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001
Sometimes there are evolutionary leaps in sports, and you’re watching one right now with Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese. Or Angel Reese and Caitlin Clark, whichever order you prefer, or maybe just call them “Crease” or “Caingel,” a nickname appropriate for a super couple, which is what they’re becoming. Look at the arc of their performances — especially against each other — and it’s evident that the WNBA has entered a protean new state. It’s growing wings.

As Clark said, “You can just feel it pulling up in the bus.”
All the tropes and taunts around Reese and Clark tend to obscure the fact that they share a couple of essential qualities: pure basketball magnetism and joint ambition. They differ merely in style. Clark is kestrel-like, all equipoise and sudden predatory darting, while Reese is the more voluble, physical, claw hammer of a player.

“I’m a dog. You can’t teach that,” Reese said Sunday after she led the Chicago Sky’s 88-87 victory over Clark’s Indiana Fever.
They both are. And she’s right: You can’t teach it. It’s born from living up to pressure.
Large viewerships have flirted with women’s sports before, only to switch them off between Olympics or World Cups. The question for the WNBA always has been, could it attract viewers to a routine midseason game between a couple of middling teams on a work night in the Midwest? Well, it has happened. There you were on a waning summer Sunday, casually scrolling the clicker and thinking you would check the score between the Sky and the Fever, when Reese and Clark made you sit bolt upright and spit out your lemonade.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...d=mc_magnet-sallyjenkins_inline_collection_20

That was a hell of a one-point finish Sunday, and though it didn’t mean very much, somehow it felt as if it did.

“I think that the women’s basketball game as a whole took a big jump today,” the Fever’s Kelsey Mitchell said afterward.
By the time Reese and Clark finished swapping career highs — Reese with her skyjacking 25 points and 16 rebounds and Clark with her sleights of hand for a franchise-record 13 assists to go with 17 points — here was the takeaway: They had made the midseason mesmerizing, and that was new and significant for the WNBA.

Mind you, the Fever is just 7-11, and the Sky is 6-9. Which is precisely the point. Despite those middling records, their meetings are drawing more than 2 million television viewers. Sunday’s game in Chicago was the most expensive ticket on record for the WNBA, with an average price of $358. In the stands were Lil Durk, Chance the Rapper, Jason Sudeikis, and Jalen Brunson, while Ja Morant was calling it straight fire on X.

“People are talking about women’s basketball who you’d never think would be talking about women’s basketball,” Reese pointed out recently.
What’s drawing such numbers? More than merely the personal rivalry. Viewers are smart enough to know the catfighting heroine-villainess narrative is false, and so is the race-baiting one; both players are equally good teammates, mighty talents and teasing trash-talkers. What’s really gripping the audience is the fact that these women somehow keep meeting the moment.
Time after time, they just keep playing bigger despite the weight of public expectations — some of which are imposed by the performances of the other. They’ve been vying for preeminence since the 2023 NCAA championship game, when Reese wagged a ring finger at Clark after LSU’s victory over Iowa. Think about it. When is the last time either Clark or Reese failed to show out when she knew eyes were on her?

Every head in the arena swivels back and forth between them — because everyone knows that they are liable to do something explosive when it matters most, even when they’re at the very periphery of the play.
“I think it’s the lack of fear of failure that people are attracted to,” Clark’s former coach at Iowa, Lisa Bluder, said recently.
That’s it exactly. The fearlessness is what’s so compelling. It suggests that under the physicality is something even more substantial: emotional strength.
It startles to think how young they are: Clark has played just 18 professional games, Reese just 15.
“Reality is coming,” Diana Taurasi notoriously predicted in the preseason, suggesting that Clark would have some struggles as a rookie — and by extension Reese, too. “There’s levels to this thing, and that’s just life. … You look superhuman playing against 18-year-olds, but you’re going to come with some grown women that have been playing professional basketball for a long time.”

ADVERTISING

You better add a level. Not even halfway through the 40-game season, Reese and Clark aren’t just rookie of the year favorites; they’re already indisputably league leaders. Clark ranks third in the WNBA in three-pointers made and third in total assists. Reese is second in total rebounds and has logged eight consecutive double-doubles. Both rank in the top 15 of the league’s 144 players in efficiency, Reese 11th and Clark 15th. That’s despite the fact that they’re barely unwrapped and out of the box as pros and that they’re playing on two of the more inexperienced teams in the league.
They’re getting better nightly — and it’s the rest of the league that is figuring out how to grow to meet their vast, expanding aspirations. The pity is that they won’t play each other again until August. By then, a potential playoff spot may well be on the line. In the meantime, they may just succeed at their mutual enterprise and lock a once-fickle WNBA audience into a forever embrace.

Reese is an outstanding basketball player. There’s no denying her talent. She was one of the most dominant players in college and even though many experts questioned whether her skill set would translate well to the WNBA, she has quickly become one of the best forwards in the league.

But she’s also insanely jealous of Clark’s popularity and she often looks petty and immature because of it. She demands equal credit for raising the WNBA’s profile and insists that she’s responsible for making Clark popular when they faced off in the national title game last year.

The fact is, Clark was already selling out arenas and setting tv viewership records even before Iowa and LSU stepped onto the same court. Clark and the Indiana Fever are the hottest ticket in the WNBA by a very wide margin.

If Reese had stayed in college, Clark would still be selling out arenas from coast to coast. If Clark had stayed in college, none of this would be happening. The Fever would still be drawing 4000 fans per game instead of 17,000 and opposing teams wouldn’t be changing venues when the Fever come to town in order to accommodate ticket demand.

People just have to take cheap shots at Reese. You don't know anything about what she is or can do. I hope both girls have great careers and take the WNBA to new heights.
I’ve seen enough to know what kind of asshole Angel Reese is. She’s going to be good. My final straw with her was when she celebrated her teammate's cheap shotting Caitlin. No doubt in my mind that if Clark tore her ACL on that, “Angel” would have thought it was funny. She reminds me of Trump with her constant victimhood.

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone insert themselves into the conversation to be relevant like this, well, not in real life. I've seen this plot line many times in high school comedy series where the bitchy spoiled kid can't deal with the protagonist getting all the attention. But because it's the internet it took about 6 seconds for the trolls to identify it as a way to divide America politically even further. Unfortunately, judging from some of the things said here I fully believe the posts from Angel supporters that there are racist CC fans. I disagree with them that it is Clark's job to police these people and they should just block those tools out, but they don't seem capable of doing that.

But boy are they going to be pissed when Clark gets rookie of the year. They aren't going to give it to the person who rebounds really well and that's it.

People just have to take cheap shots at Reese. You don't know anything about what she is or can do. I hope both girls have great careers and take the WNBA to new heights.
BS. I've seen enough of Reeses antics to know what she is about. We will how well your post ages in a decade...

Reese is great; Clark is a phenom

I actually like the rivalry and it’s good for the sport. But I also can realize that Reese needs Clark to bring life to the character she’s playing. Clark doesn’t need Reese in the slightest.

I think the Rookie of the Year award will likely go to Caitlin, but I could see an argument for Reese as well, both are performing very well in their first seasons.

From a statistical standpoint, Clark averages 0.48 points/minute played and Reese is at 0.43, essentially a push IMO. In rebounding Reese has more than double (0.36/minute) compared to Caitlin's output of (0.16/minute). In assists, CC is at 0.20/ minute while Reese is far behind that at 0.07/minute. Both are shooting right around 40% from the field, but CC has the slight advantage there because of her ability to shoot from outside effectively, something Reese does not have. CC leads the league in TOs by a wide margin (0.17/minute) while Reese stands at 0.07/minute. For steals CC is averaging .045/minute and Reese 0.56/minute so fairly comparable.

The most interesting stat comparison for these two however is blocked shots, CC is at 0.027/minute (0.9/game) while Reese is only managing 0.003/minute and 0.1/game. I didn't expect to see such a disparity in that particular stat at all.

Without basketball Caitlin would be a successful person. Without basketball I wonder what 1.2 GPA would be doing in life...
Even at LSU, I don't believe you can graduate with a 1.2 GPA. Now you may have gotten through middle school with 1.2 GPA, but that's besides the point.

Both are fun to watch, but in different ways. I'm guessing Reese gets the ROY if she stays healthy and continues on the double-double train.

Clark is the fireworks, the main event. Reese is just a sideshow act.

That’s not to say Reese isn’t a very effective player. She is. But she’s also very clunky and sometimes her game is cringeworthy to watch. I also feel officials seem to have a soft spot for her and she’s the benefactor of a lot of whistles/nonwhistles.

TBH I like both. Reese is holding her own.
I'm guessing the "real" Reese is probably more toned down than her media persona. Unlike a lot of other celebs/athletes who would likely balk at being labeled polarizing, she's pretty much "well, if this is how they see me, I'll own it". I gotta give her props for that.

Both are fun to watch, but in different ways. I'm guessing Reese gets the ROY if she stays healthy and continues on the double-double train.
I think it will depend on which team gets farther in the playoffs or finishes higher in the season standings. Both players will be able to show how they have made their teams better this season although Clark's will be easier because you can directly compare with last season whereas Chicago also had Cardoso added to the roster and you can't ignore her contributions. Simply having her there frees up a lot of space for Reese to operate because the other team needs their biggest body on Cardoso. Iowa was able to pretty much shut Reese down once they put O'Grady on her and she couldn't move O'Grady out of the way.

Reese is ok minus her attitude. But I think you guys are right. this is probably the point : she's probably playing a part or a role

Picking NBA over WNBA.

Why would I care about 2 inferior athletes from an inferior league.

Because it's a f**kton more interesting than the NBA is right now. But nobody is forcing you to watch or participate in these threads. Thanks for the update on your feelings though.
I want to agree with you but since I'm a Celtics fan I found the NBA very interesting the last few weeks!!

Reactions: ft254
I'll never give a crap about the WNBA but I do like watching cc22. And Kate Martin
My interest in the WNBA extends as far as CC and other Iowa players playing in it. Maybe watching them will create some longer attachment for me so I continue watching but the rest of the WNBA is working really hard to keep that from happening. Also, Michael Jordan wasn't able to get me to watch the Bulls after he was gone, I find it hard to believe that I will continue to watch the WNBA after Clark is gone too. Especially with the open hostility new watchers of the WNBA have been greeted with.

She enjoys being a celebrity more than a basketball player. She enjoys being a victim more than a basketball player. She enjoys posting scantily clad pictures while also saying she is sexualized more than a basketball player.
She is a good talent but she has the mentality of a 14 year old.

My interest in the WNBA extends as far as CC and other Iowa players playing in it. Maybe watching them will create some longer attachment for me so I continue watching but the rest of the WNBA is working really hard to keep that from happening. Also, Michael Jordan wasn't able to get me to watch the Bulls after he was gone, I find it hard to believe that I will continue to watch the WNBA after Clark is gone too. Especially with the open hostility new watchers of the WNBA have been greeted with.
I love the narrative that "new fans" or "Caitlin Clark" fans don't understand basketball. It might be the dumbest of all the narratives in this Clark vs. Reese conversation.

Maybe. I'm thinking my interest in professional basketball is 100% tied to my interest in watching specific people play.
I'm a fan of teams, almost always. This might be the one time where I am on the Fever bandwagon because of Caitlin. I don't know if I will remain one if she leaves in a few years. I have never switched who I have been a fan of since I was a little kid in the mid 1970s. Bears, Celtics, Dodgers/White Sox, Canadiens. The only new teams I picked up a little over a decade ago are Liverpool...the last few years Sporting KC and Chicago Red Stars.

Reactions: Tenacious E
I love the narrative that "new fans" or "Caitlin Clark" fans don't understand basketball. It might be the dumbest of all the narratives in this Clark vs. Reese conversation.
Agreed. Actually, if it weren't such a stupid argument I would argue that the new fans actually understand the game and that's what their issue is. Based on what I have seen, the focus for 30 years has been on the drama between players and off the court and nobody gave a shit about how they were actually playing basketball. When you start pointing out how players aren't in the right spot or are making the wrong decisions or can't perform basic fundamental skills like catching a pass they can't respond with a knowledgeable point and too often just resort to the "you don't like her because she's black" response. It's useless to debate with those people.

To be fair, I have had some very good basketball related debates with people so it's not everyone out there doing that.

Agreed. Actually, if it weren't such a stupid argument I would argue that the new fans actually understand the game and that's what their issue is. Based on what I have seen, the focus for 30 years has been on the drama between players and off the court and nobody gave a shit about how they were actually playing basketball. When you start pointing out how players aren't in the right spot or are making the wrong decisions or can't perform basic fundamental skills like catching a pass they can't respond with a knowledgeable point and too often just resort to the "you don't like her because she's black" response. It's useless to debate with those people.

To be fair, I have had some very good basketball related debates with people so it's not everyone out there doing that.
Exactly. Again, I have coached varsity girls for over 20 years now and there are times I might yell something out at CC. "Cut!" "Move!" "Stop bringing your defender over!" lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT