ADVERTISEMENT

Places to Stay Central Gulf Coast?

h-hawk

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2002
File this under we should have known better. Planning to take a driving trip along the Mississippi River down to Gulf Coast early this summer. We were looking for a place to stay with a beach view and it appears that in the La, Al area you are pretty much looking at the expensive Alabama Gulf Shores hotels. And even at that, 28 of the 34 hotels there are already booked for the time in June we may be down there.

Our question for anyone who has been down there is are there other more affordable areas we are not considering? It appears much of Louisiana is swampy coast (one reason we are going is for the birds) so maybe that really limits the places where people would want to stay on the coast.
We are still not sure if we want to visit New Orleans but would areas south of there perhaps be worth considering?
Thanks.

Thanks - looks like all the coastal accommodations with a beach are east of New Orleans.

South of New Orleans is gorgeous in Plaquemibes Parish and Terrebonne Parish. Look at Grand Isle and see if that might interest you. Orange Beach/Gulf Shores in Alabama is fun and right where the water starts getting clear. Pensacola Beach, Destin, and everything in between is awesome.

I'm constantly all over that area for work and pleasure, let me know if you need some help
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That helps a lot hawkiniowacity, I hadn't thought about searching the islands for accommodations. And I didn't even think about the clarity of the water. May take an extra day to far enough East just stare at the clear water.
Are there any motels on Grand Isle you would recommend above the others? We are a middle age couple and will be in the area for the wildlife and the historical sites.

Pensacola has clear water. Fort Pickens was pretty cool to visit. You can attend free Navy Blue Angel practices every Tuesday & Wednesday morning. The Naval Air Museum there is great too, and free. The haunted light house was cool too. Then seafood a PegLeg Petes. If you are a Jimmy Buffet fan, there is a Margaritaville Hotel right on the gulf.

Sprout Brook Inn was a great spot a number of years ago. Not sure if that is still the case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT