ADVERTISEMENT

Playing with only 1 guard will cost us wins.

@RocknRollface nails it again. Bowen needs to play now and work out the kinks.
Ulis and Bowen were our best players against TCU. Our frontline players have to be tougher and more physical. Everyone of them is too soft. Our defense against TCU's backcuts was terrible, their guards were getting easy layups all night. And for us to be successful, we have to be a good 3 point shooting team. We were dreadful from three for the second game in a row.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight etc... correct? So we've been starting 4 guys from 6'8" to 6'9" every game, and we're still getting pounded on the glass, and we can't defend the post. A lot of those scores in close we're by guards getting in the lane because we've got 6'9" guys on the perimeter trying to guard guys who they can't stay in front of.
I just don't see it with this team. Might as well play your best offensive lineup because what your saying just isn't there. I'd like to believe Bowen and Ulis are better at keeping people out of the lane but they just aren't. Everyone gave up blow byes last night. Everyone gave up back cuts last night. If we had Joe T I'd be right there with you guys but Ulis and Bowen aren't Joe T. This team is flawed because Fran couldn't keep Joe T and failed to get a true 5 in the portal. So this team plays a 4 at the 5 and also plays 3 3's which is fine when the 3 3's create matchup problems for the opposing team. The 3 3's didn't do that last night but have done it on the majority of other games this year.

I really don't disagree with you guys but because of the way Fran coaches I disagree with you. I said all last year that Fran didn't know how to coach that team last year. He just can't play the best defensive lineup and suffer through bad offense with really good defense.

I just don't see it with this team. Might as well play your best offensive lineup because what your saying just isn't there. I'd like to believe Bowen and Ulis are better at keeping people out of the lane but they just aren't. Everyone gave up blow byes last night. Everyone gave up back cuts last night. If we had Joe T I'd be right there with you guys but Ulis and Bowen aren't Joe T. This team is flawed because Fran couldn't keep Joe T and failed to get a true 5 in the portal. So this team plays a 4 at the 5 and also plays 3 3's which is fine when the 3 3's create matchup problems for the opposing team. The 3 3's didn't do that last night but have done it on the majority of other games this year.

I really don't disagree with you guys but because of the way Fran coaches I disagree with you. I said all last year that Fran didn't know how to coach that team last year. He just can't play the best defensive lineup and suffer through bad offense with really good defense.
Thats fine until we play either a more physical or more athletic team, and not the mid majors we've been pounding the first few weeks. Then our "3's", are getting scorched on defense, and don't really give us an advantage on the glass either......

Thats fine until we play either a more physical or more athletic team, and not the mid majors we've been pounding the first few weeks. Then our "3's", are getting scorched on defense, and don't really give us an advantage on the glass either......
Bowen at the 1, Perkins at the 2, Ulis off the bench at either spot. That's a backcourt group that has the potential at least to be competitive come tourney time.

Bowen at the 1, Perkins at the 2, Ulis off the bench at either spot. That's a backcourt group that has the potential at least to be competitive come tourney time.

Yes. The exp of Sandfort at the 2 works okay vs cream puffs, doesn't cut it in real man ball. The problem goes beyond that. We have PMAC, CMAC, Sandfort that are all perimeter oriented/best a the "3" but that is only one position for PT. Kris Murray would also ideally be a "3" and Rebraca is undersized center with limited post moves.

A decent team...I don't think they have the frontline depth/rebounding/defense to be able to make a deep ncaa. They can finish in top 4-5 in B1G, win 1 ncaa game, then get beatdown in 2nd ncaa game and go home. Not a bad result given the built in disadvantages for a program like Iowa, just disappointing if you had hoped for more.

Yes. The exp of Sandfort at the 2 works okay vs cream puffs, doesn't cut it in real man ball. The problem goes beyond that. We have PMAC, CMAC, Sandfort that are all perimeter oriented/best a the "3" but that is only one position for PT. Kris Murray would also ideally be a "3" and Rebraca is undersized center with limited post moves.

A decent team...I don't think they have the frontline depth/rebounding/defense to be able to make a deep ncaa. They can finish in top 4-5 in B1G, win 1 ncaa game, then get beatdown in 2nd ncaa game and go home. Not a bad result given the built in disadvantages for a program like Iowa, just disappointing if you had hoped for more.
Yep. The fact that we're getting so little at this point from Jelly, and Mulvey is really holding this team back.

So Pat actually put up a 0 pt 0 rebound game. Are you kidding me?
0 fouls, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 0 assists, 0 FTs.

but a +/- of -20 in only 16min

this is what happens when you allow a player to play only 1 facet of the game, jump shooting only.

Reactions: littlez
Yep. The fact that we're getting so little at this point from Jelly, and Mulvey is really holding this team back.
WRONG.
Ogendele played interior defens resulting from IOWA being +5 points in his 11 minutes.

Recall Lampkin backed into lane and did his jump hook, only to miss it long as Ogundele contested the shit forcing him to shoot it over Ogundele out stretched arm.
recall that another hard drive dunk attempt was stonewalled by Ogundele block as he literally stuffed the ball directly down to the ground .

what’s holding this team back is Fran’s restruction of Ogundele minutes, not Ogundeles play.

Iowa won't see but maybe 1 or 2 more real post players that can pass the rest of the season.

Williams for Purdue and a lesser extent Dickinson.

Everyone gave up the back cuts because no one is used to defending that in todays game. No one plays on the block anymore let alone has a passer on the block.

Ulis is a good defender, thats just a reality.

He can get the ball in the lane, Patrick and Sandfort cannot. They are spot up shooters.

Playing a bunch of shooters that can't get open or drive the ball is not the best offensive lineup and obviously not the best defensive lineup.

Basketball is played with 2 guards on the floor everywhere in the know universe for a reason.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
WRONG.
Ogendele played interior defens resulting from IOWA being +5 points in his 11 minutes.

Recall Lampkin backed into lane and did his jump hook, only to miss it long as Ogundele contested the shit forcing him to shoot it over Ogundele out stretched arm.
recall that another hard drive dunk attempt was stonewalled by Ogundele block as he literally stuffed the ball directly down to the ground .

what’s holding this team back is Fran’s restruction of Ogundele minutes, not Ogundeles play.
Please read what I said. I did NOT saying he wasn't capable of helping. BUT we are getting very little from him and RM. Part of that is on Fran to get them both more involved, especially in these early games.

Reactions: KcTo
Iowa won't see but maybe 1 or 2 more real post players that can pass the rest of the season.

Williams for Purdue and a lesser extent Dickinson.

Everyone gave up the back cuts because no one is used to defending that in todays game. No one plays on the block anymore let alone has a passer on the block.

Ulis is a good defender, thats just a reality.

He can get the ball in the lane, Patrick and Sandfort cannot. They are spot up shooters.

Playing a bunch of shooters that can't get open or drive the ball is not the best offensive lineup and obviously not the best defensive lineup.

Basketball is played with 2 guards on the floor everywhere in the know universe for a reason.
I thought Williams graduated last year and moved on?

Reactions: RocknRollface
What’s also not said enough is how good of a coach Dixon is. Made the tournament pretty much every year at Pitt (certainly not a basketball school and a shitshow since he left) and took over a TCU program playing in a high school gym. TCU lost the game of the tournament last year to Arizona. That’s a really good team. We can get better but as @RocknRollface says Fran is going to continue to need to adapt his lineup.

Fran has tried playing too many bigs at once in the past.

He tried White, Basabe and Woodbury together then a few years latter he tried Luka, Cook and Jack Nunge at the 3.

Most teams are playing 3 or 4 guards today.

Reactions: kceasthawk
What’s also not said enough is how good of a coach Dixon is. Made the tournament pretty much every year at Pitt (certainly not a basketball school and a shitshow since he left) and took over a TCU program playing in a high school gym. TCU lost the game of the tournament last year to Arizona. That’s a really good team. We can get better but as @RocknRollface says Fran is going to continue to need to adapt his lineup.
Yeah.

He doesn't fight the portal either.

Please read what I said. I did NOT saying he wasn't capable of helping. BUT we are getting very little from him and RM. Part of that is on Fran to get them both more involved, especially in these early games.
Ahhh, so you’re saying it Fran’s blunder In not playing Ogundele vs Ogundele‘s play that is limiting the contribution?
that is also,something I agree too.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Again everyone got torched on D last night. I really don't understand the Ulis love. He's just a guy. He's not a difference maker. He's just an average player. Ulis doesn't solve this teams flaws. I have much more confidence in Peyton and Patrick being difference makers for this team. And I'm not the biggest Patrick guy but this team needs him because the other options just aren't good enough. Maybe Bowens the player we need but Fran will never let it happen.

• Haha
Reactions: StinkyMcFadden
Again everyone got torched on D last night. I really don't understand the Ulis love. He's just a guy. He's not a difference maker. He's just an average player. Ulis doesn't solve this teams flaws. I have much more confidence in Peyton and Patrick being difference makers for this team. And I'm not the biggest Patrick guy but this team needs him because the other options just aren't good enough. Maybe Bowens the player we need but Fran will never let it happen.
He's more of a difference maker than our PG of the last six seasons.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Ahhh, so you’re saying it Fran’s blunder In not playing Ogundele vs Ogundele‘s play that is limiting the contribution?
that is also,something I agree too.
I think its past time to find out if we will sink or swim with what we can get from the two bigs on the bench. Since Fran was unable to lure a true post here then he's got to ride with what he has. There are some games where we're going to need one or both, and their not going to get better sitting the whole game.

Reactions: unclesammy
I think its past time to find out if we will sink or swim with what we can get from the two bigs on the bench. Since Fran was unable to lure a true post here then he's got to ride with what he has. There are some games where we're going to need one or both, and their not going to get better sitting the whole game.
I know big guys take awhile to develop but if Mulvey is now going to go another year without playing I’m going to say he’s gone after this year. Could be wrong. Josh seems to do some good things in the minutes he gets.

Saying everyone got touched on D is too vague of a statement.

Iowa mostly struggled with defending back door cuts, screen action and rebounding.

The backdoor is just lack of awareness. The screen stuff is easily fixed if Fran stops prioritizing the wrong things and just tells his guys to switch.

Then they turned the ball over like 3 or 4 straight times to start the second half and they fell apart mentally and the game was over

Perkins and Ulis played adequate defense.

But really nothing im arguing is based on last night.

Its based on what these guys have done over a year.

Ulis is a very good defender, period. There is overwhelming evidence over multiple years that that is a true statement.

Sandfort and Patrick are not guards , they can't drive the basketball or get shots off the dribble. They need to be set up by penetration.

Basketball is played with 2 guards on the floor not 1.

Again theres a reason everyone plays with at least two ballhandlers on the court. Because you have to.

Playing a bunch of forwards together will lead to turnovers and a lack of open shots for everyone.

Reactions: kceasthawk and KcTo
Saying everyone got touched on D is too vague of a statement.

Iowa mostly struggled with defending back door cuts, screen action and rebounding.

The backdoor is just lack of awareness. The screen stuff is easily fixed if Fran stops prioritizing the wrong things and just tells his guys to switch.

Then they turned the ball over like 3 or 4 straight times to start the second half and they fell apart mentally and the game was over

Perkins and Ulis played adequate defense.

But really nothing im arguing is based on last night.

Its based on what these guys have done over a year.

Ulis is a very good defender, period. There is overwhelming evidence over multiple years that that is a true statement.

Sandfort and Patrick are not guards , they can't drive the basketball or get shots off the dribble. They need to be set up by penetration.

Basketball is played with 2 guards on the floor not 1.

Again theres a reason everyone plays with at least two ballhandlers on the court. Because you have to.

Playing a bunch of forwards together will lead to turnovers and a lack of open shots for everyone.
as an addendum to the arguement, I read somewhere that several NBA teams were using 2 OG offensive schemes to generate penetration offensive schemes that encourage passing after penetration.

both Ulis and Bowen could be employed in the traditional schema with Perkins as a slasher after penetration and Kris/PNac/Sandfort/Dix as 3 point shooters.

Sandfort has clearly struggled so far in the #2 role, but does like to crash the boards and is definitely > PMac in that role.

something like
Ulis/Bowen
perkins/dix
Pmac/Sandfort
Murray
Rebraca/Ogundele

for maximum perimeter D: Ulis, Bowen, Perkins, Murray, Rebraca
for maximum interior D: Ulis, Perkins, Murray, Rebraca/Sandfort, Ogundele

Reactions: unclesammy
It's one game. I 'm not going to get too bent out of shape from it as long as the players try to learn from exactly how things went off the rails. A large part of the problem was our shooting. We were missing wide open threes that normally we hit. Would have made a big difference.
One major positive that came out of this game was the gradual emergence of Mr. Bowen, who looks like exactly what we've needed for years. Not trying to make too much of a comparison, but it does somewhat remind me of when Lester emerged and gradually replaced Cal Wulfsberg, who Lute brought with him from California and who eventually became his son-in-law. Not sure Dasonte will replace anyone, but he is surely going to get more minutes a the season proceeds.

Last edited:
Reactions: kzoohawk80
It's one game. I 'm now going to get too bent out of shape from it as long as the players try to learn from exactly how things went off the rails. A large part of the problem was our shooting. We were missing wide open threes that normally we hit. Would have made a big difference.
One major positive that came out of this game was the gradual emergence of Mr. Bowen, who looks like exactly what we've needed for years. Not trying to make too much of a comparison, but it does somewhat remind me of when Lester emerged and gradually replaced Cal Wulfsberg, who Lute brought with him from California and who eventually became his son-in-law. Not sure Dasonte will replace anyone, but he is surely going to get more minutes a the season proceeds.
While I agree with it only being one game, the defecencies are some of the same ones we've seen for as long as you can remember with Fran's teams. Getting punked on the boards, and defense. I guess Fran thought he could fix that with his all 6'9" starting lineup and Perkins. We've got three guys who are probably all best suited to be 3's. Pmac is mostly a subpar defender and rebounder. Neither he or PS can guard a perimeter player who can handle. Kris can play the 4, but he got physically owned trying to score down low yesterday. He's also very left hand dominate, which makes him an easier to guard down low for a good physical low post defender. That puts him more outside, and when he's not hitting shots limits his game as well.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
As much as I like the back court players, I hope they would look for an open player and pass it off
For a 3. Feel they maybe try to be the whole show. If 2_3 opposing players are collapsing someone has to be open for a shot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT