ADVERTISEMENT

Please just end the idiocy and cancel the football season

How about this... How about letting grown ass adults decide for themselves where they can and cannot go. If you are fearful of getting sick or are an at risk individual, then by all means stay home. I have been in medicine for 25 years and know the "facts" of this. You don't isolate healthy individuals! I am tired of this narrative that "if you don't do a, b & c, then you are putting others at risk or that you are insensitive to others. Let adults make adult decisions.

As I have already shared with others, if this virus was a true pandemic, EVERYTHING would be closed, as it should be under those conditions... and their wouldn't even be a debate. The misinformation that is circulating out there is maddening to all of us in medicine. The differing "I think" ideas are why there are so many frustrated people out there regarding this.
Yeah...been in medicine for 25 years? That doesn't mean you cant be deadassed wrong. My family MD smoked over 2 packs a day for years. How did that work for him? Lets just say hes not around to worry about covid 19.

Has absolutely zero information regarding COVID. Keep trying

Wait, so you think studies regarding the effectiveness of masks with respect to airborne viruses has nothing to do with Covid, an airborne virus? LOL. You really are an idiot.

Reactions: CP84
I believe covid is real but the reaction to it is way overblown . i believe a mask won't stop the virus just like your pants don't stop you from passing gas. I believe we never should have shut down anything. However I do think they will cancel football just because

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Wait, so you think studies regarding the effectiveness of masks with respect to airborne viruses has nothing to do with Covid, an airborne virus? LOL. You really are an idiot.

Thanks, I'll take that to my grave. Your opinion matters so much to me

ever notice that nobody has proven that it is Airborne or in droplets of water or on surfaces?

I believe covid is real but the reaction to it is way overblown . i believe a mask won't stop the virus just like your pants don't stop you from passing gas. I believe we never should have shut down anything. However I do think they will cancel football just because

yes but with my shorts on and pants on when I pass gas and light a match there is no flame. With clothes off i can blow a flame from my ass. o_O

Reactions: ottumwan in tx
ever notice that nobody has proven that it is Airborne or in droplets of water or on surfaces?

Try to stick with us. The discussion is about whether masks are effective protection against Covid. Whether it can be caught from touching contaminated surfaces has nothing to with masks. But the CDC says it is airborne droplets which are transmitted through the air and may be caught from touching a contaminated surface.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/non-us-settings/overview/index.html

Morons on this thread. Stupid thread is stupid. I'm guessing they want to get rid of stop signs. Get rid of speed limits. Get rid of any public health precautions.

The basic things that are being asked are not political. Only to those that want to make them political.

I don't care if you want to die...just don't force the rest of us to have that potential because you are a DIP$shit.
Stay home and hide then

Thanks, I'll take that to my grave. Your opinion matters so much to me

So, do you think that studies determining that masks are ineffective in protecting against airborne viruses don’t have any applicability to covid? That ought to be pretty easy to answer for a science guy that is so sure about his position.

Reactions: rabid goat
Worst argument ever. And I love that it is repeated. Stupid should have free reign. Smart should stay home. Good luck with that.

Don’t keep patting yourself on the back as being “smart” when you clearly have no idea about the existing science on masks. Or start citing to studies that proves that mask use is indisputably effective as you have claimed. It’s laughable that you keep calling yourself smart.

Don’t keep patting yourself on the back as being “smart” when you clearly have no idea about the existing science on masks. Or start citing to studies that proves that mask use is indisputably effective as you have claimed. It’s laughable that you keep calling yourself smart.

I don't need to cite anything for the troller in chief. Look up the Fauci. He is an expert. Not you or me.

Viable
This is going to be a train wreck on multiple fronts. How many new deaths by Thanksgiving? Has the world lost the ability to delay gratification?

Until there is a viable vaccine available and given to the general population this disease outbreak is just going to increase. It is not just going to magically go away. It is a virus it’s only agenda is to propagate.

I get money will be lost. But bite the bullet now so we can slow down this virus and get our Country back to normal in 2021.

Leadership matters- someone get the adults back in the room please.
Viable vaccine? You know little about the efficacy of flu vaccines.

Here is a CDC publication from February of 2020 indicating that cloth masks are not effective in protecting against airborne viruses. This summarizes multiple controlled studies. This is just one example of the pre-covid science on masks.
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/5/19-0994_article

Here’s a CDC press release from 3 weeks ago affirming “that cloth face coverings are a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19 that could reduce the spread of the disease, particularly when used universally within communities.” It even includes this quote from the CDC Director:

“We are not defenseless against COVID-19,” said CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield. “Cloth face coverings are one of the most powerful weapons we have to slow and stop the spread of the virus – particularly when used universally within a community setting. All Americans have a responsibility to protect themselves, their families, and their communities.”

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

I don't need to cite anything for the troller in chief. Look up the Fauci. He is an expert. Not you or me.

I have noticed when I engage any self-claimed “science guy” and provide citations supporting my point, to a man they ignore, disengage or talk in circles without ever providing any link to a credible study or source supporting their position. You think Fauci has done studies in the last three months that override decades of studies and science on the efficacy of masks protecting against airborne viruses?

Here’s a CDC press release from 3 weeks ago affirming “that cloth face coverings are a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19 that could reduce the spread of the disease, particularly when used universally within communities.” It even includes this quote from the CDC Director:

“We are not defenseless against COVID-19,” said CDC Director Dr. Robert R. Redfield. “Cloth face coverings are one of the most powerful weapons we have to slow and stop the spread of the virus – particularly when used universally within a community setting. All Americans have a responsibility to protect themselves, their families, and their communities.”

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2020/p0714-americans-to-wear-masks.html

One guy said the science on masks is unsettled which I happen to agree with. Jimmy McGill said he was dead wrong. I provided proof that the science is in fact less than settled.

That the CDC now proclaims to wear masks doesn’t make the science on the effectiveness of masks settled. Remember, in early March Fauci was telling everyone that masks weren’t necessary.

Reactions: ElkGroveHawk
I have noticed when I engage any self-claimed “science guy” and provide citations supporting my point, to a man they ignore, disengage or talk in circles without ever providing any link to a credible study or source supporting their position. You think Fauci has done studies in the last three months that override decades of studies and science on the efficacy of masks protecting against airborne viruses?

I will disengage with someone that I have no interest in discussing things with. If you choose not to wear a mask, I hope you and Darwin can talk about it. You probably think you have every right to not wear a mask. I don't believe you have the right to get the rest of us sick.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
I will disengage with someone that I have no interest in discussing things with. If you choose not to wear a mask, I hope you and Darwin can talk about it. You probably think you have every right to not wear a mask. I don't believe you have the right to get the rest of us sick.

Where did I ever say I didn’t wear a mask?

Reactions: TunzaHawk
What is your job and area of expertise in medicine?

Whatever @jhawkeye23 ‘s expertise is, he might have changed my mind on drunk driving. My stance for the last 15 or so years has been that it’s awful.

But he says “How about this... How about letting grown ass adults decide for themselves where they can and cannot go. If you are fearful of getting sick or are an at risk individual, then by all means stay home. I have been in medicine for 25 years and know the "facts" of this. You don't isolate healthy individuals! I am tired of this narrative that "if you don't do a, b & c, then you are putting others at risk or that you are insensitive to others. Let adults make adult decisions.“

Now I’m thinking, I’m a grown ass adult. I don’t want to spend money on an Uber and I want my car in my garage when I wake up. If people are afraid of drunk drivers, they can stay at home hiding under their beds. The facts are that in all of 2016, only 10,497 people were killed in traffic accidents involving alcohol. We’re at 155,000 Covid deaths in 6 months. So if that’s not too many, then 10,500 definitely isn’t! And I used to be a pretty good drunk driver 20 years ago. Never got so much of a scratch on my car. So maybe I’m coming around on this “letting adults make adult decisions.”

Whatever @jhawkeye23 ‘s expertise is, he might have changed my mind on drunk driving. My stance for the last 15 or so years has been that it’s awful.

But he says “How about this... How about letting grown ass adults decide for themselves where they can and cannot go. If you are fearful of getting sick or are an at risk individual, then by all means stay home. I have been in medicine for 25 years and know the "facts" of this. You don't isolate healthy individuals! I am tired of this narrative that "if you don't do a, b & c, then you are putting others at risk or that you are insensitive to others. Let adults make adult decisions.“

Now I’m thinking, I’m a grown ass adult. I don’t want to spend money on an Uber and I want my car in my garage when I wake up. If people are afraid of drunk drivers, they can stay at home hiding under their beds. The facts are that in all of 2016, only 10,497 people were killed in traffic accidents involving alcohol. We’re at 155,000 Covid deaths in 6 months. So if that’s not too many, then 10,500 definitely isn’t! And I used to be a pretty good drunk driver 20 years ago. Never got so much of a scratch on my car. So maybe I’m coming around on this “letting adults make adult decisions.”

Make Drunk Driving Great Again

One guy said the science on masks is unsettled which I happen to agree with. Jimmy McGill said he was dead wrong. I provided proof that the science is in fact less than settled.

That the CDC now proclaims to wear masks doesn’t make the science on the effectiveness of masks settled. Remember, in early March Fauci was telling everyone that masks weren’t necessary.

Do you know how science works?

Do you know how science works?

Yes. Science generally is advanced by studies. The CDC released in February 2020 a summary of the most recent studies on the effectiveness of masks to protect against airborne viruses and the consensus was that masks are generally ineffective in providing protection. So if people are taking the position that it is now undisputed science that masks protect against airborne viruses, i would expect such person to be able to cite to a STUDY that supports that position. A press release by the CDC is not a study.

When one of your kids gets sick or spreads it to someone in the groups that are more susceptible I hope you feel guilty. And I am going to feel guilty because? Pandemics are a part of human history. In 2020 we now seem to think we have enough control over the world that we can bottle it up and control it by canceling a football season. This is the same 2020 where the best two candidates we can come up with are two old demented men.

Positivity rate is an artifact of testing. You can target hotspots like they did in Iowa in meatpacking plants and artificially increase that number.

Mortality is a much more consistent representation, with a more common denominator.

Also Connecticut had horrendous testing, requiring them to throw out a bunch of false negatives and positives.
And mortality is related to how a state classifies deaths. Connecticut counts both confirmed and probable cases in it's total while some other states do not. And let's not even talk about the seven day average for deaths in Connecticut versus other states.

Connecticut didn't have a single Covid related death yesterday.
Florida - 225
Texas - 220
Arizona - 83
Georgia - 67
something in common with the 4 states with high numbers...

Are we getting raided by the lounge?
ATx6.gif

Reactions: Rudolph and Moral
Yes. Science generally is advanced by studies. The CDC released in February 2020 a summary of the most recent studies on the effectiveness of masks to protect against airborne viruses and the consensus was that masks are generally ineffective in providing protection. So if people are taking the position that it is now undisputed science that masks protect against airborne viruses, i would expect such person to be able to cite to a STUDY that supports that position. A press release by the CDC is not a study.

Well now I have to ask if you know how reading press releases works?

"This review included two case studies out today, one from JAMA, showing that adherence to universal masking policies reduced SARS-CoV-2 transmission within a Boston hospital system, and one from CDC’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR), showing that wearing a mask prevented the spread of infection from two hair stylists to their customers in Missouri."

And way to ignore everything that's happened since February. Should we still consider the earth the center of the solar system? Science told us it is (a few centuries ago, but still - science).

Here's some info from the WHO from June citing Stanford studies.

https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-n...ntists-contribute-to-who-mask-guidelines.html

The new guidelines recommend that everyone who comes in close contact with others in crowded or close quarters, such as on a bus or in a store, wear a cloth mask composed of at least three different layers of material. People 60 or older, or those with underlying health conditions, should wear medical masks, such as surgical masks, in public, and physicians and health care providers should wear medical masks in all areas of a hospital, even if the area in which they are working has no COVID-19 patients, according to the organization.

The new guidelines were devised after WHO officials reviewed information from researchers at Stanford and elsewhere about the ability of cloth masks to slow the spread of the disease, which has now infected more than 8 million people worldwide and caused more than 400,000 deaths.

Fake quoting me. Awesome. Anyone that thinks football is more important than public health should take a real look in the mirror and determine whether they should have kids in their house.
Pandemics are a part of human history. Go back your history books and read how folks reacted to the Spanish flu. Much better than we are today. Some folks got shot for not wearing masks.

Your reaction is one of a demented old man. You know better. Have another Hamms and tell yourself you are right.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Fake quoting me. Awesome. Anyone that thinks football is more important than public health should take a real look in the mirror and determine whether they should have kids in their house.
Pandemics are a part of human history. Go back your history books and read how folks reacted to the Spanish flu. Much better than we are today. Some folks got shot for not wearing masks.

Your reaction is one of a demented old man. You know better. Have another Hamms and tell yourself you are right.
Hamms is better than BV

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT