ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Do you ever experience wealth guilt?

Do you ever have wealth guilt?

• Yes

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • No

Votes: 63 82.9%
  • Screw the little person

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Depends [explain]

Votes: 3 3.9%

• Total voters
Why do you think the government is entitled to a person's wealth when thy die? They have been taxed multiple ways on the income used to build that wealth.

I'd venture a guess the majority of people want their children to be better off than they were, and those children will likely be middle aged at time of inheritance anyway.
I think his point was to decrease income tax and increase inheritance tax, which has appeal. If his point was to keep income taxes the same and also increase inheritance taxes, I agree with you.

Reactions: General Tso
No wealth guilt here. I’m proud of what I accomplished in my 53 years.

Grew up poor, of Mexican heritage, small town Iowa in the 70’s and 80’s. Neither of my parents attended college. My Dad never finished high school. My dad worked construction and drove truck to provide a roof over our heads and food on the table. Money didn’t stretch too far beyond that. My mom tried to be a homemaker, but that ended somewhere in the late 70’s and a dual income was required.

I could have very easily fallen in with the wrong crowd and never amounted to much. However i decided at a very early age to NOT be like my parents. I worked hard for my grades. I also worked construction from age 14 through college to pay for my own things. I bought my own cars, insurance and clothes. I paid for my own college and rent. Not one dime from my parents. I am the only one of my siblings (older sister and younger brother) to graduate from a 4 year college.

I started out, post college, in sales and never really left. Eventually middle management, but still had to sell and work off commission or bonuses. I provide 80% of the income for our family. Raised 3 boys. We are frugal in some areas. We live in a $150,000 3br, 2ba house. The newest vehicle we own is a 2017 Nissan Altima. My focus over the last 25+ years has been retirement savings. We are almost to our goal. In the meantime, have been able to purchase our retirement condo.

Zero wealth guilt here. I could have ended up a carnie. I fit in with the local carnival that came to town for the county fair than I did the middle class or rich kids.
People that have a plan succeed. People that don’t fail.

This is where many Americans are failing—instant gratification.

My dad was an alcoholic and a total piece of shit, but he worked his ass off as a skilled laborer and lived dirt cheap (other than buying a shit ton of alcohol). Because he invested his money for forty years he retired at 58—a millionaire.

Yes, literally about anyone who is able bodied and of sound mind can be successful in the United States.
My dad worked hard his entire life but was taught a deep mistrust for banks and investing. While my uncle(married to my mom’s sister) bought stocks, my dad bought savings bonds. My dad died at 65 and my mom is basically in poverty because those savings bonds are basically worthless. My uncle is a millionaire. Both were silent generation if that matters.
Sure, my dad had the same opportunities so to speak but it’s just not as simple as that. He had to work with lifelong programming where he had absolutely nothing, as an adult he worked for the railroad and was laid off for long periods of time in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Scarcity was normal for him and he was terrified of losing the little he had been able to save. Absolutely no one should feel guilty because he had less. But don’t pretend that it’s all equal opportunity because every experience is different and every reaction to that experience is different. I’m just grateful that at least my younger brother and I were able to learn something from his experience so we can help mom out.

In the real world, fortunes were and still are being made by exploiting people, producing harmful products, poisoning the environment, bribing public officials, spewing lies, plundering resources, and so on.

Fascinating that the only (mild) negative you seem aware of is "businesses who took advantage of poor decisions made by competitors" - which is not even something I'm criticizing.
That remark was used to illustrate historical context in terms of past behaviors in wealth creation. Did you not understand that?
So tell me if this is an issue that is difficult for you, how do you avoid rewarding or participating in these unsavory activities?
Details would be helpful.

Grew up poor, of Mexican heritage, small town Iowa in the 70’s and 80’s. Neither of my parents attended college. My Dad never finished high school. My dad worked construction and drove truck to provide a roof over our heads and food on the table. Money didn’t stretch too far beyond that. My mom tried to be a homemaker, but that ended somewhere in the late 70’s and a dual income was required.

I could have very easily fallen in with the wrong crowd and never amounted to much. However i decided at a very early age to NOT be like my parents. I worked hard for my grades. I also worked construction from age 14 through college to pay for my own things. I bought my own cars, insurance and clothes. I paid for my own college and rent. Not one dime from my parents. I am the only one of my siblings (older sister and younger brother) to graduate from a 4 year college.

I started out, post college, in sales and never really left. Eventually middle management, but still had to sell and work off commission or bonuses. I provide 80% of the income for our family. Raised 3 boys. We are frugal in some areas. We live in a $150,000 3br, 2ba house. The newest vehicle we own is a 2017 Nissan Altima. My focus over the last 25+ years has been retirement savings. We are almost to our goal. In the meantime, have been able to purchase our retirement condo.

Zero wealth guilt here. I could have ended up a carnie. I fit in with the local carnival that came to town for the county fair than I did the middle class or rich kids.
Kudos to you, sir. You are a true example of the “American dream”.
I’m a fan!

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
Why do you think the government is entitled to a person's wealth when thy die? They have been taxed multiple ways on the income used to build that wealth.

I'd venture a guess the majority of people want their children to be better off than they were, and those children will likely be middle aged at time of inheritance anyway.

Inheritance on wealthy estates is just feudalism without the titles. People having every luxury available to man at their disposal because of something their great great great grandfather did.

You want to talk about entitlement? Why are they entitled to live wealthy with no work while the rest of us work our asses off to survive.

Taxes arn't about entitlement anyway, they are about funding the government.

My dad worked hard his entire life but was taught a deep mistrust for banks and investing. While my uncle(married to my mom’s sister) bought stocks, my dad bought savings bonds. My dad died at 65 and my mom is basically in poverty because those savings bonds are basically worthless. My uncle is a millionaire. Both were silent generation if that matters.
Sure, my dad had the same opportunities so to speak but it’s just not as simple as that. He had to work with lifelong programming where he had absolutely nothing, as an adult he worked for the railroad and was laid off for long periods of time in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Scarcity was normal for him and he was terrified of losing the little he had been able to save. Absolutely no one should feel guilty because he had less. But don’t pretend that it’s all equal opportunity because every experience is different and every reaction to that experience is different. I’m just grateful that at least my younger brother and I were able to learn something from his experience so we can help mom out.
The Silent Generation were the kids too young to be drafted in WWII but old enough to see the effects of the Depression and understand how it affected their parents and your Dad is likely one whose background fostered a distrust of banks because of how their parents were affected. My Aunt and my Uncle were my Mom’s younger siblings - who graduated high school in the 50’s and they were kids during the war. Heard and saw things a little differently than my Mom. I can understand why your Dad shied away from “riskier” investments probably based on what he heard and saw. I’m glad you are able to help your Mom.

Reactions: 3boysmom
With my wife’s family still in Venezuela, it is apparent we are an extremely rich country. That being said, we send them money and goods which we feel fortunate to be able to do. So, yes I feel a little guilt. I’ve been fortunate. Our family in Venezuela have not.
outkicked your coverage i take it :)

Modern-Family-Jay-and-Gloria.jpg

Inheritance on wealthy estates is just feudalism without the titles. People having every luxury available to man at their disposal because of something their great great great grandfather did.

You want to talk about entitlement? Why are they entitled to live wealthy with no work while the rest of us work our asses off to survive.

Taxes arn't about entitlement anyway, they are about funding the government.
Are you even aware that you’re just jealous and resentful?
If others have more than me good for them.
Good decisions made long ago or just a member of the Lucky Sperm Club. Whatever.
Are you jealous when a neighbor wins $500 on a scratch off too?

1. I'd like to speak about your sons personal soccer trainer ans how much you are investing with a realistic look at where he might play some day. Soccer has become SUCH a pay for play gimic, I truly do hope the kid goes D1, I'd love to hear more.
What would you like to know? He will never play D1 (or D2 or D3) soccer. His trainer isn't expensive at all, btw. He's a "hook-up" through my old assistant coach. We essentially paid $300 for 18 sessions from April through the summer. Coach Gabe was the former director of Lonestar Soccer before stepping down to care for his ailing father. He played soccer at the collegiate level and was on the U.S. National Jr. Soccer team, played in a World Cup.

Trainers typically run about $100 per session. Seemed like a slam-dunk, no brainer to me.
2. I'm from the hood stupid, I don't feel bad about shit. I've got what I've got because I went out and got it. It's honorable that person is staying with their parents to help but if a young person stays broke their whole life that's on them. This world isn't that tough.

Also, respectfully, you sound upper middle class, and that's a compliment, the issue is you are viewed as rich because the ass end of the middle class has fallen apart after years and years of democratic leadership.

Yours truly,

-a kid born on Rockingham road, who had to consider bankruptcy in my 20s when Wells sold my SL to ACS without telling me and stuck it out and rebuilt a 519 credit score.
I too, feel "upper middle class", I gross around $196K per year which is why I added the caveat "financially secure" (or whatever I typed in the OP). We live well within our means and don't really have any wants or unmet needs.

Reactions: goldmom
Maybe "guilt" is the wrong word. Growing up very lower middle class, with a bipolar/schizophrenic father who had to rebuild his life every 5-10 years, I learned very early on the value of a dollar and hard work (started my first job at True Value Hardware at 14). I also remember living in a house w/o power with a buddy while trying to make ends meet working at Publix.

Now, at 50, I live very well and even support my mother. We have many close friends who live/travel similarly, but I also see a lot of folks around me who really struggle, my own mother included. ...just has me thinking often how blessed I am, but also that I worked hard to get here. I take nothing for granted (or at least try not to). I've lived literally rolling pennies for gas broke.

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
What would you like to know? He will never play D1 (or D2 or D3) soccer. His trainer isn't expensive at all, btw. He's a "hook-up" through my old assistant coach. We essentially paid $300 for 18 sessions from April through the summer. Coach Gabe was the former director of Lonestar Soccer before stepping down to care for his ailing father. He played soccer at the collegiate level and was on the U.S. National Jr. Soccer team, played in a World Cup.

Trainers typically run about $100 per session. Seemed like a slam-dunk, no brainer to me.

I too, feel "upper middle class", I gross around $196K per year which is why I added the caveat "financially secure" (or whatever I typed in the OP). We live well within our means and don't really have any wants or unmet needs.
Your gross is still pretty good for Texas but would not be that great in Cali or NY.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
Your gross is still pretty good for Texas but would not be that great in Cali or NY.
I agree. I also don't pay property taxes, so my 3400sq ft home, currently valued at $550K in South Texas, is financed at 2.75% and only cost me $1,434 per month. My extremely low debt-to-income ratio allows me to vacation 2-3 times per year and live pretty financially free.

Are you even aware that you’re just jealous and resentful?
If others have more than me good for them.
Good decisions made long ago or just a member of the Lucky Sperm Club. Whatever.
Are you jealous when a neighbor wins $500 on a scratch off too?

Do we live in a meritocracy or not? Because I thought that was the ideal.

But if that's not the ideal than we should just say so and none of us peasants should ever get to questions why our lordships sit in the position they do while the rest of us struggle.

i do feel guilty, i work with a lot of kids who dont have much. ive worked hard in my life but ive had some breaks go my way also. not everyone is so fortunate. lots of hard workers in this world, doesnt guarantee anything.
I drive over to the poor neighborhood where my son's soccer trainer is each week. His trainer, a once prestigious soccer guru in the community, takes the bus to a night-shift UPS job and often asks me to paypal him $$ after he gives me cash. He needs it to load his bus pass. Knowing that he's in this position because he sacrificed his career to help his family is heart breaking. It's hard to roll up in an Audi knowing his situation--he's a great human being.

My wife also used to teach at Title 1 schools and the stories of poor hungry kiddos still resonates.

i do feel guilty, i work with a lot of kids who dont have much. ive worked hard in my life but ive had some breaks go my way also. not everyone is so fortunate. lots of hard workers in this world, doesnt guarantee anything.
So you feel guilty but not just pretty danged grateful?

So you feel guilty but not just pretty danged grateful?
Again, maybe "guilty" was the wrong word choice. Maybe I'm just hyper aware of my situation and it compels me not to take my income/financial stability for granted. It drives me to help others when I can.

Kind of like the two types of officers in the military, the Academy grads and the prior enlisted. One knows where he/she came from and it shows in their actions.

I have, and I've differentiated between what my eyes see ans my ears hear and what the media would like me to believe.

"Inject bleach" if you will.
Take away all the "he made fun of a disabled person", "Inject bleach", "fine people on both sides", etc. etc. and we're still left with a pretty horrible human being. ...but we can continue that discussion in the other 200+ political threads. This one is going fine without that rhetoric.

I drive over to the poor neighborhood where my son's soccer trainer is each week. His trainer, a once prestigious soccer guru in the community, takes the bus to a night-shift UPS job and often asks me to paypal him $$ after he gives me cash. He needs it to load his bus pass. Knowing that he's in this position because he sacrificed his career to help his family is heart breaking. It's hard to roll up in an Audi knowing his situation--he's a great human being.

My wife also used to teach at Title 1 schools and the stories of poor hungry kiddos still resonates.
I substitute taught at a “poor” school where the principal went through two or three big loaves of Wonder Bread and the economy sized jars of peanut butter and jelly every single week.
They said it was for kids not in the school lunch program who “forgot” their lunch but you’d see the same kids over at that side table every day.
These were a mixed group of kids from all races and backgrounds whose single parents either were too drug addled to sign the school lunch forms or just couldn’t be bothered.

• Sad
I have, and I've differentiated between what my eyes see ans my ears hear and what the media would like me to believe.

"Inject bleach" if you will.

Please watch the above and explain to me how what he actually said was intelligent.

He didn't specify bleach however he did specify "injecting with a disinfectant".

Reactions: jonesy5960
Guilt? No. Nor do I think I 'deserve' anything under some sort of prosperity gospel mindset. The market sets prices for labor, in ways that sometimes seem irrational or inequitable, but it's pissing in the wind to counter it.

Now with that said, regardless of how much I make or don't, there is an affirmative moral obligation independent of "guilt" or "shaming" to be charitable. But you do that because it's affirmatively the right thing to do, rather than out of guilt.

I think people who should have wealth guilt are people who didn’t or don’t work hard for it. For instance, you won the lottery, you come from wealth, you married into wealth, your husband or wife makes all the money while you stay at home, you’re in a high paying job because a family member or friend got you the job, etc.

I do feel quite a bit of 'guilt' at times considering some of the people I've worked with. I spent quite a few years abroad in third-world countries. Some of my co-workers worked six days a week - first at work and last to leave - and made $35 a week. I have no idea how they survived on that. Had another acquaintance that made $75 a month in his home country and illegally immigrated to work at a restaurant six days a week - from 8am to 10pm - making $400 a month. My ex-girlfriend was a college-educated, corporate headhunter when we met in Vietnam pulling $400 a month.

Now living in America, I probably make less than anyone I know my age (my nieces and nephews are pulling more) but I feel like the richest guy in the world. Having central heat & air......a nice roof over my head....a washer AND a dryer.........life is good.

I think people who should have wealth guilt are people who didn’t or don’t work hard for it. For instance, you won the lottery, you come from wealth, you married into wealth, your husband or wife makes all the money while you stay at home, you’re in a high paying job because a family member or friend got you the job, etc.
Inherited hundreds of acres of farmland? I can still stand around at Casey’s and bitch about people on welfare correct?

I do feel quite a bit of 'guilt' at times considering some of the people I've worked with. I spent quite a few years abroad in third-world countries. Some of my co-workers worked six days a week - first at work and last to leave - and made $35 a week. I have no idea how they survived on that. Had another acquaintance that made $75 a month in his home country and illegally immigrated to work at a restaurant six days a week - from 8am to 10pm - making $400 a month. My ex-girlfriend was a college-educated, corporate headhunter when we met in Vietnam pulling $400 a month.

Now living in America, I probably make less than anyone I know my age (my nieces and nephews are pulling more) but I feel like the richest guy in the world. Having central heat & air......a nice roof over my head....a washer AND a dryer.........life is good.
So wealth through the lens of perspective. I dig it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT