ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should elementary age children be shown active shooter videos?

Should elementary age children be shown active shooter videos?

• Yes

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • No

Votes: 34 72.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Unsure [I'll explain in comments]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The advice to 3rd graders is Run Hide Fight?

When I was in elementary school during the Cuban Missile Crisis, we ran drills similar to fire drills, except we went to the lunch room and hid under the tables. They didn't tell us that a nuclear missile could easily wipe out our entire town in an instant. They just told us we needed to do these drills, so we did them.

When I took driver's ed, we had to watch a car crash video ... the aftermath of horrific traffic accidents. It was disturbing, but we were 15 or 16 at the time ... not 9 to 11.

The videos are a terrible idea IMO.
I posted the video in post #19. Seems targeted to high school kids, which I believe is the appropriate age.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
They didn't tell us that a nuclear missile could easily wipe out our entire town in an instant.

Shit I grew up knowing that one was probably aimed at Waterloo. Facts of life knowing they would take out Deer and its ability to switch to production.

After Uvalde NISD children grades 3-5 are now required to watch an active shooter video. After last year's viewing, my son came home freaked out not wanting to return to school. Took us weeks of convincing him he's safe to get him comfortable with going to school. This year's gotten off to a great start, but we just received notification that the video will be shown to students again next week, but this year we have the option to 'opt out'. Not looking forward to him freaking out again.

What are your thoughts, HROT? Are kids too young to watch this? What purpose does it serve? Will a 3rd grader even remember a thing they've watched from a single viewing of said video during a time of crisis? My thought is it's important for teachers and staff to have this training, not elementary aged children. I spoke to an Army doc friend of mine tonight and he said these videos do more harm than good when it comes to the kids.
I know it’s been upsetting to some kids over the years just telling them that we would go into the equipment closet if there was ever a bad guy in the building. I try to use humor talking about how all of them get a bat or an old wooden bowling pin and we would hit them with fists of fury.

Reactions: alaskanseminole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT