ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should the IOWA vs. ISU series be continued?

Should this game be continued as an annual match-up?

• Total voters
Doesn't do anything for the Hawks.
No help for the 'clones unless Hawks are in the top 25 consistently again. Doubt that will happen.
I'd just as soon see it go away.
Neither does scheduling teams not even in the same friggin' division. The Iowa-ISU game is a holiday for both fanbases, it's intense, it's mean, and it's good for the fun aspect.

What exactly else do you want?

Intense? Mean?

It's a friggin pillow fight
So, we're losing these 'pillow fights' regularly and you want better competition? Did the teams look like they were pillow fighting this past weekend?

We faced FCS team Illinois State, which DOES NOTHING for our team at all. Then we are going to face North Texas, a team that most don't even realize is actually an FBS team, but might as well be an FCS team.

So, we're losing these 'pillow fights' regularly and you want better competition? Did the teams look like they were pillow fighting this past weekend?

We faced FCS team Illinois State, which DOES NOTHING for our team at all. Then we are going to face North Texas, a team that most don't even realize is actually an FBS team, but might as well be an FCS team.

And the friggin pillows are getting softer every year

The state loves it. Its a huge event. Its a guaranteed sellout at both campuses. It is the only game Iowa has sold out in the last few years.

It is the most financially-advantageous home and home that Iowa can schedule. It is the highest single game ticket on our schedule, which other P5 HaH cannot match. It is the cheapest road game Iowa plays, with a 2 hour bus ride.

The athletic department agrees with me more than it agrees with grumbling jerks, so I don't worry about it going away. But continue to tilt at windmills.

Scheduling is going to get more difficult for schools once the Big 10 no longer has FCS (D IAA) schools to schedule. If other conferences agree to that as well (SEC is in the process), then it will mean not every school can get a MAC conference or Sun Belt school on their schedule each year.....and their guaranteed game will also go up to nearly $1M per game.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Hawks fans complain about the game, but then again it's also one of their highest demanding tickets of their season as well.

What about all the games against crap opponents we're forced to play because they're in our conference? Kick them out of the conference?

It's a good and rather unique rivalry, embrace it.

Has the team in question (isu) ever demonstrated an ability to compete with any of those other teams in the Big Ten? How about the ACC? Or, the Pac12? The SEC?

Reactions: hexumhawk
The state loves it. Its a huge event. Its a guaranteed sellout at both campuses. It is the only game Iowa has sold out in the last few years.

It is the most financially-advantageous home and home that Iowa can schedule. It is the highest single game ticket on our schedule, which other P5 HaH cannot match. It is the cheapest road game Iowa plays, with a 2 hour bus ride.

The athletic department agrees with me more than it agrees with grumbling jerks, so I don't worry about it going away. But continue to tilt at windmills.
^ All of this^
We get rid of it and we will end up with a Pitt. or Syracuse on the schedule instead. Yawn

It does a lot more good than the cupcake FCS/MAC teams we schedule. There is nothing stopping Iowa from scheduling some tougher games. Michigan has already played 2 PAC-12 schools. Wisconsin put Bama on the schedule and LSU on there last year. Not necessarily. What it does do is allow Iowa to schedule games at home every year (FCS/MAC) and removes any scheduling difficulties due to having to travel to Ames to play before all of those 61,500 fans every other year. Financially, this is a win for Iowa.

The ISU-IOWA game only makes sense, especially as ISU's resources continue to grow. They get a good coach, and some decent recruiting and look out.
This has been the song and dance from Ames for way too long now. Take Iowa completely out of the equation and tell me how much better isu is or ever will be than Nebraska, Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Georgia, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, Wisconsin, UCLA, USC, Utah, Oregon, OU, Notre Dame or any other institution of your choosing. What makes you believe that a) isu will be able to get a "good" coach? Did not the current AD, fire the last "good" coach before a season had even concluded just so he could go out and find that next "good" coach? Do you now believe that with the direction the program has taken that "good" coaches will want to come to Ames and work for that type of administration? Recruiting? Please.

I see lots of fear from my fellow Hawks, and it's troubling.
What I see is someone here trying way too hard to convince others he is a fan of the Hawks.

The only way to fill the seats with butts is a better non-conference schedule.

Non-conference scheduling should involve the biggest names in football. Not only is there a benefit in recruiting (being seen on TV nationally) it also benefits the University in a broadcast deal. It draws attention. It puts the team on a stage. It draws a sell-out crowd.

Gotta sell the program and challenge the program.

The benefit of facing better challenges is perpetual. If you are not ON the stage you are OFF the stage. Playing ISU puts neither team on a stage. This game does not draw big TV money or any national interest.

Neither team is on anybodies radar. This is now a game of demographics, recruiting outside of the state of Iowa, and selling the program. Playing this game is a no-win for either team.

I don't necessarily want to discontinue ever playing them, but now that we will likely only see 1 power 5 conference team outside of conference (with 9 conference games), I'd rather it not always be Iowa State. I wouldn't mind if they did a home and home with ISU, and then found a different home and home elsewhere. The Pitt game on Saturday is likely the last of its kind as long as the ISU series remains every year.

The only way to fill the seats with butts is a better non-conference schedule.

Non-conference scheduling should involve the biggest names in football. Not only is there a benefit in recruiting (being seen on TV nationally) it also benefits the University in a broadcast deal. It draws attention. It puts the team on a stage. It draws a sell-out crowd.

Gotta sell the program and challenge the program.

The benefit of facing better challenges is perpetual. If you are not ON the stage you are OFF the stage. Playing ISU puts neither team on a stage. This game does not draw big TV money or any national interest.

Neither team is on anybodies radar. This is now a game of demographics, recruiting outside of the state of Iowa, and selling the program. Playing this game is a no-win for either team.

Good points, and I would like to add that although a loss or two can take us out of National Title contention, it won't affect the conference standings. Wisconsin is doing a great job of exposing their program to the rest of the country by taking on the elites. You want be one of the big boys, you have to prove you can play with the big boys. Simple as that. Michigan State scheduling Oregon was also a brilliant move on their part. They won, and now they're a top 3 team, and Nationally recognized by fans everywhere.

Iowa should be where both Wisconsin and MSU are at. Our resources are very similar, and so is our history.

Thanks Cliffy,

I'm surprised to know somebody else realizes that the IOWA program is about to fall off the map.

Good points, and I would like to add that although a loss or two can take us out of National Title contention, it won't affect the conference standings. Wisconsin is doing a great job of exposing their program to the rest of the country by taking on the elites. You want be one of the big boys, you have to prove you can play with the big boys. Simple as that. Michigan State scheduling Oregon was also a brilliant move on their part. They won, and now they're a top 3 team, and Nationally recognized by fans everywhere.

Iowa should be where both Wisconsin and MSU are at. Our resources are very similar, and so is our history.

I agree Hawk,

Even losing is winning as long as you make the stage. Schedule the best and the rewards will follow.

Floyd

73-69, looks like my point still stands: 90% of posts are about getting rid of it. Just shows the most "vocal" don't make a majority.

I am mixed on this game:
  • I agree we need national exposure & recruiting. But if we lost ever year to TX, FL, USC, etc because we set up a series with them, how does that play out in recruiting. You still need a coach that is willing to stick his neck out (which he appears to be doing more so far this season).
  • I also see the cost advantages of keeping the series going, keeping the tax dollars instate, reducing our travel costs, etc.
  • But I was also pissed when Missouri backed out a few years ago
  • I was frustrated when we didn't play Nebraska for years. Hated all of the smash talking back and forth, but never being able to back it up.
  • It is a bragging series. I like it when we beat ISU. Keeps all of the ISU clothes and flags in the closet. They only wear them when they are winning, unlike Hawkeye Fans everywhere.
  • I hate it when we lose and it is considered a bad loss by the national pundits.
  • I think it is sad when ISU's main goal is to beat Iowa to save face to a lousy record.
But at the end of the day, I want the series to continue.

Not only is there a benefit in recruiting (being seen on TV nationally) it also benefits the University in a broadcast deal.

If you are not ON the stage you are OFF the stage. Playing ISU puts neither team on a stage. This game does not draw big TV money or any national interest.

The Iowa/ISU game was nationally televised at 3:45 on FOX. Last year it was nationally televised on ESPN at 2:30.

The Pitt game is a secondary (Iowa-only) BTN offering. Last year it was an 11am ESPNU offering.

The ISU game is more attractive to TV than the other non-conference P5 games we've been scheduling. Good luck scheduling a home and home with a team that is more attractive to the networks.

Has the team in question (isu) ever demonstrated an ability to compete with any of those other teams in the Big Ten? How about the ACC? Or, the Pac12? The SEC?
Ever? Yes. But that's not the point. Programs from other P5 conferences of comparable stature don't offer what State does due to being the in-state rival. Would a game against Duke have the kind of attention the ISU game gets?

If we're facing a near future with 3 non-conference games, none of which are FCS, we should have one against a mid-major (designed to be the warmup), and one against the best competition we can find. Iowa State would be a nice middle ground to round things out, don't you think? I really don't see how fewer non-cons weighs into this discussion at all.

Come to think of it, I don't know why this discussion is even being had.

I don't necessarily want to discontinue ever playing them, but now that we will likely only see 1 power 5 conference team outside of conference (with 9 conference games), I'd rather it not always be Iowa State. I wouldn't mind if they did a home and home with ISU, and then found a different home and home elsewhere. The Pitt game on Saturday is likely the last of its kind as long as the ISU series remains every year.
It doesn't have to be though, as long as we skip the FCS BS teams, and stick with a top conference team.
I am mixed on this game:
  • I agree we need national exposure & recruiting. But if we lost ever year to TX, FL, USC, etc because we set up a series with them, how does that play out in recruiting. You still need a coach that is willing to stick his neck out (which he appears to be doing more so far this season).
  • I also see the cost advantages of keeping the series going, keeping the tax dollars instate, reducing our travel costs, etc.
  • But I was also pissed when Missouri backed out a few years ago
  • I was frustrated when we didn't play Nebraska for years. Hated all of the smash talking back and forth, but never being able to back it up.
  • It is a bragging series. I like it when we beat ISU. Keeps all of the ISU clothes and flags in the closet. They only wear them when they are winning, unlike Hawkeye Fans everywhere.
  • I hate it when we lose and it is considered a bad loss by the national pundits.
  • I think it is sad when ISU's main goal is to beat Iowa to save face to a lousy record.
But at the end of the day, I want the series to continue.
Agreed, I say keep them on schedule, and schedule another power conference team each year. We don't need these patsy game anymore. ISU is a long standing tradition, it DOES bring in lots of revenue, and I'd rather have them, rather than scheduling an Illinois State style of team.

Ever? Yes. But that's not the point. Programs from other P5 conferences of comparable stature don't offer what State does due to being the in-state rival. Would a game against Duke have the kind of attention the ISU game gets?

If we're facing a near future with 3 non-conference games, none of which are FCS, we should have one against a mid-major (designed to be the warmup), and one against the best competition we can find. Iowa State would be a nice middle ground to round things out, don't you think? I really don't see how fewer non-cons weighs into this discussion at all.

Come to think of it, I don't know why this discussion is even being had.

Exactly.

Reactions: JoelBittner

It's not IF we're facing a future of only 3 non conference games, we are facing that.

The B1G has already agreed to make Iowa's home-road conference games coincide with our home/road game with ISU. So when we play ISU at home we'll have 4 B1G game, when we play them on the road we will have 5 home conference games. So every year counting ISU and conference, we have 5 home games and 5 road games.

The problem is, our financial model is built on having 7 home games per year. 1 of the other 2 non-conference games will be a mid-major/warmup team you mentioned. The problem is, that last home game. How are you going to get that attractive, 'best competition we can find' team? They won't just come to Kinnick, they will want a home and home, and if we do that we don't have our 7th game.

So we will never play another P5 team in a home and home again as long as we play ISU every year. I would love to play ISU every other year, not because I hate the series, not because it's a 'lose-lose'......because I would like to see Iowa play other P5 schools in home and home series.

That is why we are having this discussion.

It's not IF we're facing a future of only 3 non conference games, we are facing that.

The B1G has already agreed to make Iowa's home-road conference games coincide with our home/road game with ISU. So when we play ISU at home we'll have 4 B1G game, when we play them on the road we will have 5 home conference games. So every year counting ISU and conference, we have 5 home games and 5 road games.

The problem is, our financial model is built on having 7 home games per year. 1 of the other 2 non-conference games will be a mid-major/warmup team you mentioned. The problem is, that last home game. How are you going to get that attractive, 'best competition we can find' team? They won't just come to Kinnick, they will want a home and home, and if we do that we don't have our 7th game.

So we will never play another P5 team in a home and home again as long as we play ISU every year. I would love to play ISU every other year, not because I hate the series, not because it's a 'lose-lose'......because I would like to see Iowa play other P5 schools in home and home series.

That is why we are having this discussion.

Ok, so figure out some suggestions. We all know the AD reads this page and posts frequently.

How much "take" does Iowa get from Neutral games? I presume Iowa splits evenly any money from big-tv games (if it isn't already accounted for in BTN money), so having a super-showdown doesn't increase anything.

What other conferences are in this same crunch? Pac 10?

I'm certainly on record here with keeping the ISU game, and what you say about scheduling seems pretty damn reasonable concerning ISU/Big home slate. Maybe have the Big Ten create an agreement with the MAC, where the Big Ten pays the MAC for all home games. Sure people complain about "directional" schools, but the gap has severely shrunk in the last 20 years, and the MAC has good teams. Northern Illinois, Western Michigan (HR fans love that guy), Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo just beat Arkansas (another beloved coach). Then the MAC can pick up that 14th school.

Iowa gets, say, $5M/home game, obviously more for a Mich/OSU/PSU and less for NW/Ill/IU, but at, say, $5M/home game across the board that is a benefit of $70M. Give the MAC $20M/year, still a good benefit for each school.

This year I say yes because we won, however; if we lose I say no.....the problem is that if we win it is not a big deal because we are supposed to (theoretically) if we lose, it sucks so bad for 364 days b/c ISU fans are pretty bad

How about a 5-5 with Notre Dame? All we need to do is get on the stage. This is win/win...but the idea is to win.

Last edited:
I say yes, it is important to the state. This year we played Illinois St and North Texas, if we need to remove teams from our schedule, it should be teams like that.

Now, if they would replace ISU with QUALITY opponents, that might change my mind. But they wouldn't, just be another spot to put buffalo, ball state, or miami of Ohio.

In that case, I will stick with the ISU series.

Now, if they would replace ISU with QUALITY opponents, that might change my mind. But they wouldn't, just be another spot to put buffalo, ball state, or miami of Ohio.

They'd replace ISU with Pitt, Syracuse, Arizona State, or some other P5 that is just "meh".

Ok, so figure out some suggestions. We all know the AD reads this page and posts frequently.

How much "take" does Iowa get from Neutral games? I presume Iowa splits evenly any money from big-tv games (if it isn't already accounted for in BTN money), so having a super-showdown doesn't increase anything.

I'm certainly on record here with keeping the ISU game, and what you say about scheduling seems pretty damn reasonable concerning ISU/Big home slate. Maybe have the Big Ten create an agreement with the MAC, where the Big Ten pays the MAC for all home games. Sure people complain about "directional" schools, but the gap has severely shrunk in the last 20 years, and the MAC has good teams. Northern Illinois, Western Michigan (HR fans love that guy), Bowling Green, Ohio, Toledo just beat Arkansas (another beloved coach). Then the MAC can pick up that 14th school.

Iowa gets, say, $5M/home game, obviously more for a Mich/OSU/PSU and less for NW/Ill/IU, but at, say, $5M/home game across the board that is a benefit of $70M. Give the MAC $20M/year, still a good benefit for each school.

Ok, I'm not sure what you're saying. Where in your suggestion are we playing other home and home series with power 5 conferences? What does the MAC have to do with any of this? We're not going to play a home and home with Bowling Green, and if we did that doesn't solve the issue I brought up. I do agree you could mix in a well paying neutral site game, but that still isn't a long term answer, and no way the revenue will match a home game.

Again, I don't want to end the Iowa-ISU series, just make it every other year.

I always feel that it's a no win game for Iowa. If we lose.....ouch. If we win, the clone fans (not all but many) just play the "you only won because we suck" card. Why bother.

I say yes, it is important to the state. This year we played Illinois St and North Texas, if we need to remove teams from our schedule, it should be teams like that.

In that case, I will stick with the ISU series.

If you remove Illinois State and North Texas, you can't replace them with a P5 school because you would have to do a home and home, and we can't go on the in non-conference now because we need BOTH non conference games(other than Iowa State) to be at home. See my previous post for a further explanation.

I did not know that Gary Barta was a regular poster and reader in this forum.

To Gary Barta.....grow a frikkin pair. You are getting steamrolled by the Ferentz family and they own your ass. Go home.

Ok, I'm not sure what you're saying. Where in your suggestion are we playing other home and home series with power 5 conferences? What does the MAC have to do with any of this? We're not going to play a home and home with Bowling Green, and if we did that doesn't solve the issue I brought up. I do agree you could mix in a well paying neutral site game, but that still isn't a long term answer, and no way the revenue will match a home game.

I'm not sure how I confused you. I was proposing the Big Ten collaborate with the MAC for an all-home slate each year. Therefore every Big Ten team would play a MAC team at home.

That would leave Iowa to still come up with one other game each year, which, imo, could still be a "MidMajor" or Non-Power 5, or a neutral. All conferences are going to start running in to this problem.

If I understand this correctly you are proposing the following:

2017 @ ISU
2019 @ Iowa
2021 @ ISU
2023 @ Iowa

What are you proposing in that off year then? Someone lower/worse than ISU I presume, since it has to be home?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT