ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should the IOWA vs. ISU series be continued?

Should this game be continued as an annual match-up?

• Total voters
If we start playing another P5 schedule team along with ISU, when we go to 9 game conference schedules. I don't care if we play them. It's just there's a good chance we won't. This is why I like the 2 on 2 off format. But am hopeful with the scheduling change nationwide that we may.

If we start playing another P5 schedule team along with ISU, when we go to 9 game conference schedules. I don't care if we play them. It's just there's a good chance we won't. This is why I like the 2 on 2 off format. But am hopeful with the scheduling change nationwide that we may.

Can't play 11 home and homes series and still get 7 home games every year.

I don't love or hate the game and part of me doesn't want to lose it but it's certainly going to be boring having them as our only p5 OOC game.

I love the Iowa State game, and I think if you live in the state of Iowa you should love this series. There is a lot of money created by this game and the great part is the money stays in state. Also the entire state gets excited about this game. I live about 4 hrs away from IC so I can't really get to the games. So I have a tailgate party at my house for every game and the ISU game is a huge attraction for my friends. The other games are not nearly as exciting. Like this week Pitt is a nice team to be playing but nobody is talking about Pitt this week like we were talking about ISU last week. And look at this thread by itself has how many responses and views. Regardless this series is great for our state! Instead of trying to get rid of this game why aren't we focusing on the other non conference games. That's where the improvement in opposing teams needs to come from.

I love the Iowa State game, and I think if you live in the state of Iowa you should love this series. There is a lot of money created by this game and the great part is the money stays in state. Also the entire state gets excited about this game. I live about 4 hrs away from IC so I can't really get to the games. So I have a tailgate party at my house for every game and the ISU game is a huge attraction for my friends. The other games are not nearly as exciting. Like this week Pitt is a nice team to be playing but nobody is talking about Pitt this week like we were talking about ISU last week. And look at this thread by itself has how many responses and views. Regardless this series is great for our state! Instead of trying to get rid of this game why aren't we focusing on the other non conference games. That's where the improvement in opposing teams needs to come from.

Did you read the whole thread?

When we go to 9 conference games, it will be almost IMPOSSIBLE to 'improve the other non conference games' if we still must play ISU every year. We won't play any other P5 schools.

At the risk of never playing another P5 school again, after we go to 9 conference games, hell no.

I think conferences should be limited to 9, or at most 10, teams. That solves most of the problems related to scheduling, conference championships, playoff participation, etc., etc. But it doesn't make as much TV money.

If you take TV out of the picture, look at how much more logical and competitive college sports were before the huge shakeups in conference membership. It was better in almost every respect. Iowa, for instance, could play its traditional rivals instead of Maryland and Rutgers, while having some flexibility with non-conference opponents. Likewise, ISU was playing Nebraska and Missouri instead of West Virginia and TCU.

I'd prefer playing all teams in conference on a 12 game schedule. Your "variety" games come when you earn them in bowl play.

Good post. Good to see the majority (poll) fans finally able to post after the negative ones flooded the first pages.

Good post. Good to see the majority (poll) fans finally able to post after the negative ones flooded the first pages.

Why is not wanting to be locked into this series negative?

Why is it not positive to want to keep options open, that in reality, offer more for Iowa in terms of exposure to help recruiting?

Once the playoff expands to 8 and eventually 16, teams are going to want to be scheduling harder out of conference opponents just like basketball, unlike before where most were just trying to avoid potential losses. That means Iowa could potentially be scheduling home and homes with some pretty decent teams.

First off, the Big 12 isn't going to exist in 2 years, so do you really want to waste on OOC game on a Mountain West team?

Why is not wanting to be locked into this series negative?

Why is it not positive to want to keep options open, that in reality, offer more for Iowa in terms of exposure to help recruiting?

Once the playoff expands to 8 and eventually 16, teams are going to want to be scheduling harder out of conference opponents just like basketball, unlike before where most were just trying to avoid potential losses. That means Iowa could potentially be scheduling home and homes with some pretty decent teams.

I was saying that they were answering in the negative, but carry on.

No brainer, of course it should. 49% are afraid of ISU. WTF? This is only being brought up because of Kirk's coaching and recruiting.

Should the coach be fired with his record against them? Hell yes. Gotta go, Capt.

The poll should be phrased this way:

Do you ever want to play another P5 team in the non-conference outside of Iowa State?

The simple fact is not very many Hawkeye fans get the reality of the schedule once we go to 9 conference games. They don't get that the choice is simply ISU every year or another P5 team in a 2-on, 2-off scheduling with ISU.

Recruiting would benefit. That alone is worth it.

The poll should be phrased this way:

Do you ever want to play another P5 team in the non-conference outside of Iowa State?

The simple fact is not very many Hawkeye fans get the reality of the schedule once we go to 9 conference games. They don't get that the choice is simply ISU every year or another P5 team in a 2-on, 2-off scheduling with ISU.

Recruiting would benefit. That alone is worth it.

In theory.

When we played AZ or Pitt away, which recruits did we gain?

In theory.

When we played AZ or Pitt away, which recruits did we gain?

This. I don't think it can ever be proven that playing in a certain area getsyou recruits. If so I would lets schedule a home and home against Miami, TCU and UCLA. Actually Missouri and Cincinnati always seemed like a good choice if you believed you would land recruits because you play there once in 4 years.

I think conferences should be limited to 9, or at most 10, teams. That solves most of the problems related to scheduling, conference championships, playoff participation, etc., etc. But it doesn't make as much TV money.

If you take TV out of the picture, look at how much more logical and competitive college sports were before the huge shakeups in conference membership. It was better in almost every respect. Iowa, for instance, could play its traditional rivals instead of Maryland and Rutgers, while having some flexibility with non-conference opponents. Likewise, ISU was playing Nebraska and Missouri instead of West Virginia and TCU.
They are now "Contrivences" rather than "Conferences". I truly despise the idiots involved with the whole realignment process.

Eight 9-team conferences would be ideal for a playoff system.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT