ADVERTISEMENT

Poll: Should the IOWA vs. ISU series be continued?

Should this game be continued as an annual match-up?

• Total voters
Next year, iirc, the "Group of 5" will have exactly the same number of members as the "Power 5".

Lots of good/interesting schools to schedule, even if they aren't Alabama or USC or Oregon.

Will a Mountain West school do a home/home with Big Ten? Will the AAC?

If I understand this correctly you are proposing the following:

2017 @ ISU
2019 @ Iowa
2021 @ ISU
2023 @ Iowa

What are you proposing in that off year then? Someone lower/worse than ISU I presume, since it has to be home?

Any home and home with a power 5 will do. You did just make me realize a small problem. We would need the conference 4-5 home/away years to be consecutive. Otherwise using every other year, we still run into every 4 years we only have 6 road games.

I looked at future schedules and Iowa have 4 home-5 away conference games on even years, 5 home-4 away on odd years.

And again, I don't want MAC, AAC, or MWC teams, but I would gladly have them over any FCS teams.

In my lifetime, just off the top of my head, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA, Nebraska(when they were OOC), Miami, Pitt, and Syracuse are all P5 schools who have played in Kinnick. I would like to see more schools like that in the future.

Next year, iirc, the "Group of 5" will have exactly the same number of members as the "Power 5".

Lots of good/interesting schools to schedule, even if they aren't Alabama or USC or Oregon.

Will a Mountain West school do a home/home with Big Ten? Will the AAC?

That's the problem, with the ISU game fixed in, we can't do a home and home with ANYONE. We need 2 home games for both non-con. We already have 5 road games in this scenario every year.

That's the problem, with the ISU game fixed in, we can't do a home and home with ANYONE. We need 2 home games for both non-con. We already have 5 road games in this scenario every year.

I mis-wrote that. I meant that a Mountain West school is going away to Iowa, without a return trip.

Any home and home with a power 5 will do. You did just make me realize a small problem. We would need the conference 4-5 home/away years to be consecutive. Otherwise using every other year, we still run into every 4 years we only have 6 road games.

That is precisely what I was getting at. Just replacing ISU requires either a) no away game from a P5, or b) the same problem we have with ISU.

In my lifetime, just off the top of my head, Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA, Nebraska(when they were OOC), Miami, Pitt, and Syracuse are all P5 schools who have played in Kinnick. I would like to see more schools like that in the future.

Yes, you've said that a few times, but then you always scream the problem. How do you do that without the requisite away game?

Yes, you've said that a few times, but then you always scream the problem. How do you do that without the requisite away game?

We would need the conference to make the 4-5 years consecutive. Not sure how that would work becaus I believe everyone in the division will have the same number of home/away conference games to keep schedules as fair as possible.

Iowa State is better than Iowa.

WELL
677372.jpg

Last edited:
Some of you guys must have really poor memories.

The necessities and options built into the schedule have been spelled out 100 times prior.

The budget dictates that every p5 school schedule 7 home games period. Everyone has that many.

You cannot compare ISU with teams that don't get a return game. It's very simple stuff.

There's two games available to schedule home and homes with out of conference p5 schools. Iowa schedules one with a rotating cast and is locked into one with ISU.

They will never schedule more than two home and homes out of conference games because you would end up with 6 home games in odd years.

No matter what your opinion the only question is whether or not we should be locked into that game with ISU or use it elsewhere. There's only those options.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the two home only games, those have to be there.

Some of you guys must have really poor memories.

The necessities and options built into the schedule have been spelled out 100 times prior.

The budget dictates that every p5 school schedule 7 home games period. Everyone has that many.

You cannot compare ISU with teams that don't get a return game. It's very simple stuff.

There's two games available to schedule home and homes with out of conference p5 schools. Iowa schedules one with a rotating cast and is locked into one with ISU.

They will never schedule more than two home and homes out of conference games because you would end up with 6 home games in odd years.

No matter what your opinion the only question is whether or not we should be locked into that game with ISU or use it elsewhere. There's only those options.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the two home only games, those have to be there.

That's all great.....and accurate.

But isn't that what I just laid out the last several posts?

No, but the only way it will go away is if the Big XII falls apart if Texas and Texas A&M bolt for the Pac 12 and we have the 4 superconference scenario. If ISU goes Mountain West, it may go bye bye. Otherwise, its here to stay sadly.

Its great for them, terrible or us. I wont ever see them as a rival like I do Wiscy or Minny. They just aren't.

This. When the Big12 breaks up, ISU will be the odd team out that will have to drop to the lower division. ND will join a power 4 & that only leaves 9 spots left. Four 16 team conferences leaves 10 spots available (not counting ND). If/when they drop to lower division, then we have to drop them or play them sparsely.

Until then we should play them. It's a great series!

Speaking as an outsider I voted for it to remain simply for the passion it incites. Being a Gator fan I hate FSU and relish kicking their butt at every turn.

While Iowa is a historically superior program I see the passion on both sides. Its great for high school kids and alumni for both sides. Would you rather play a MAC school in its place?

I hear the argument that Iowa gains nothing, but gauging the passion on the subject I respectfully disagree. Its a good chance for the whole state on both sides to engage in a 3 hour affair to determine bragging rights for the year. Sports are supposed to be about having fun and debating less important things while still having passion. Most of you probably spoke about the win with your coworkers ,family and friends whether they're on the same side or the opposite.

You won't get that with Hawaii or Toledo.

As an outsider to the series I say it should stay. It's a fun series to watch and its fun for the two fan bases.

theIowaHawk's answer is good and feasible (so probably won't happen, right?).

You know what would solve this and other issues plaguing the sport? Balanced conferences and scheduling.

Personally, I think the schools' obsession with seven home games is short sighted. One game's worth of intake is chump change compared to TV revenue. TV money has rendered traditional ideas of budget and income in college football obsolete.

Reactions: moxyfruvous
theIowaHawk's answer is good and feasible (so probably won't happen, right?).

You know what would solve this and other issues plaguing the sport? Balanced conferences and scheduling.

Personally, I think the schools' obsession with seven home games is short sighted. One game's worth of intake is chump change compared to TV revenue. TV money has rendered traditional ideas of budget and income in college football obsolete.
I think conferences should be limited to 9, or at most 10, teams. That solves most of the problems related to scheduling, conference championships, playoff participation, etc., etc. But it doesn't make as much TV money.

If you take TV out of the picture, look at how much more logical and competitive college sports were before the huge shakeups in conference membership. It was better in almost every respect. Iowa, for instance, could play its traditional rivals instead of Maryland and Rutgers, while having some flexibility with non-conference opponents. Likewise, ISU was playing Nebraska and Missouri instead of West Virginia and TCU.

I think conferences should be limited to 9, or at most 10, teams. That solves most of the problems related to scheduling, conference championships, playoff participation, etc., etc. But it doesn't make as much TV money.

If you take TV out of the picture, look at how much more logical and competitive college sports were before the huge shakeups in conference membership. It was better in almost every respect. Iowa, for instance, could play its traditional rivals instead of Maryland and Rutgers, while having some flexibility with non-conference opponents. Likewise, ISU was playing Nebraska and Missouri instead of West Virginia and TCU.

The Commissioners and ADs pulled the trigger way too fast. They did so seemingly to please a few dozen talking heads at ESPN that figured out that things, as they were, didn't quite fit right with their mold. As a group they have ruined what used to be a great sporting tradition.

Tradition takes many years to create and one idiot to dissolve

This once WAS a great REGIONAL event to follow and travel to the games. It was a tradition. Now it takes about 40 hours round-trip to travel to a Rutgers game by car. This expansion by Delaney has split the conference in ways that only benefit a few.

Now that ESPN is dictating how they want things arranged....it is a turn-off. Game over.

Step 1. Fire Jim Delaney. NOW. He is an East Coast guy that is building his project East.

Step 2. Fire Gary Barta....NOW! For countless reasons.

Step 3. Fire the Ferentz family and get creative. Buy them out.

Last edited:
If it is contined then it shouldn't be continued at the detriment to Iowa financially. Iowa is basically the welfare check to ISU.

Reactions: lenoxhawks
Not on Saturday, they weren't. :eek:
I was just using your logic - you said Iowa is better than Nebraska when Nebraska wins 75% of the time they line up.

Now you use the results of a game to justify Iowa being better than Iowa State. Which is it, Mr Science?

^ All of this^
We get rid of it and we will end up with a Pitt. or Syracuse on the schedule instead. Yawn

Ding Ding!
Every football fan in the state engaged. 50+ Iowans on each roster. Nationally recognized as a heated rivalry game. Evenly matched/great games the last 10 years.

It's what college football should be about.

Ding Ding!

It's what college football should be about.

No it should be about 120 people on a message board want something so they should get it because they have determined in their hypothetical world we are above that game and it's financially bankrupting a school they contribute nothing to.

Case closed.

No it should be about 120 people on a message board want something so they should get it because they have determined in their hypothetical world we are above that game and it's financially bankrupting a school they contribute nothing to.

Case closed.

Everything seems to be fine!! Heat_Dawg just closed the case with his 15,416th post!!!

Move along people....nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Reactions: RocknRollface
I was just using your logic - you said Iowa is better than Nebraska when Nebraska wins 75% of the time they line up.

Now you use the results of a game to justify Iowa being better than Iowa State. Which is it, Mr Science?
It's whatever the f*** I say it is. Thought that was apparent.

And yes, Iowa > Nebraska........that's regardless results.

C'mon.....try to keep it under control. This poll has nothing to do with Nebraska....but I would assume that about 1/2 of the participation is from their fan base.

Case closed.

Message boards are a completely random cross section of the fan base. Theres nothing to indicate otherwise.

The logical assumption is that the percentages here are reflective of those of the whole.

The ISU game just isn't that great of a thing for Iowa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT