ADVERTISEMENT

Positives

wbrhawkeye

HR MVP
Jun 12, 2012
1) I really really like CJ Frederick. I think he has even more potential than Weiskamp, which is high praise. He is a scorer and plays exceptional defense. He reminds me of a shorter Jake Kelley.

2) Touissant is the point guard we've been missing. Once he plays a little more under control--watch out. Kid is lightning quick and has NY playground skills/confidence.

3) This shouldn't be a bad loss because DePaul is legit and will probably make the tournament this year.

4) I think the team will bounce back. We still have solid players in Garza, Wieskamp, Bohannon, Fredrickson, Kriener and Touissant. Hoping Nunge and Pemsl are just rusty.

5) The team was not prepared for the speed and scrappiness of DePaul but this loss should help them know what needs work (defending the 3 and too many turnovers). This will help them improve more so than blowing out a terrible team rated 300+

6) Should not negatively impact our RPI too badly.

7) We have plenty of time/season to bounce back.

Yes! I know it's early but this is a power 5 team. We didn't lose Campbell!

1) I really really like CJ Frederick. I think he has even more potential than Weiskamp, which is high praise. He is a scorer and plays exceptional defense. He reminds me of a shorter Jake Kelley.

2) Touissant is the point guard we've been missing. Once he plays a little more under control--watch out. Kid is lightning quick and has NY playground skills/confidence.

3) This shouldn't be a bad loss because DePaul is legit and will probably make the tournament this year.

4) I think the team will bounce back. We still have solid players in Garza, Wieskamp, Bohannon, Fredrickson, Kriener and Touissant. Hoping Nunge and Pemsl are just rusty.

5) The team was not prepared for the speed and scrappiness of DePaul but this loss should help them know what needs work (defending the 3 and too many turnovers). This will help them improve more so than blowing out a terrible team rated 300+

I question #3 -- most prognosticators have DePaul 9th or 10th in the Big East. The Big East won't send 8 teams to the tournament.

There are some bright spots as you mentioned. I would add that soft serve lines won't be long this year as another positive because attendance will drop significantly. Fran has had 10 years to get better athletes here and has failed. There is no way around the elephant in the room. Outside of cupcakes (and I am not too sure we won't lose to one of them) Iowa has no athletic equal in the big ten save NW. The 5 game stretch of ISU, MN, Michigan, Cincy and Syracuse is at this point a guaranteed 0-5.

I agree with your assessment. Not sure about Weezy vs CJ but JT is the type of PG we have been needing.
I was not as impressed with Joe T. during the more meaningful moments of the game. He did some nice things late when DePaul lost their focus and the game was on ice.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
I question #3 -- most prognosticators have DePaul 9th or 10th in the Big East. The Big East won't send 8 teams to the tournament.

I wonder if Charlie Moore was already eligible to play right away when they did the predictions? He only got eligible a month ago. He's a pretty big impact player and the fact they handled Iowa with him in foul trouble most the game was maybe the most impressive thing.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
There were claims based on practice about CJ being good a good player and tonight I can say I’m buying in. It was noticeable tonight and he was gaining confidence.

Joe T has what we’ve been missing for a long, long time but we are going to have to have some patience to let him play through a number of mistakes. Fine tuning his game and with some experience, he could be electric and put butts in the seats. The drive, finish, creating for others, junkyard dog attitude — gosh we need that so much. Fran can’t be slow playing him —- get him out there in the starting line up.

Kreiner, nice bounce back game minus a couple of mistakes.

Garza, I know you have to score the ball for us but there has to be more ball movement. This black hole approach is not going to work.

Joe W had the toughest night he’s ever had at Iowa. That’s an eye opener for him and this kid is character personified so he’ll not let that happen too often.

We need Pemsl’s grit and nasty play.

I’m ok with Evelyn as he’s driving the ball to create for others and trying to bring some energy on D.

PMAC I like but he’s going to have some strength issues at times. I think he can help us at times.

Last edited:
For us old guys. The Blue Demons had their turntables set on 78 and the Hawks had theirs set on 45. There were even a few hawks set on 33-1/3. Toussaint and Frederick were our only two players who could keep up with DePaul’s quickness. Get them in there in place of Conner. Even DePaul’s subs at the end of the game were quicker than most of our team.

Turnovers were the killer and even our better players were guilty.

There are some bright spots as you mentioned. I would add that soft serve lines won't be long this year as another positive because attendance will drop significantly. Fran has had 10 years to get better athletes here and has failed. There is no way around the elephant in the room. Outside of cupcakes (and I am not too sure we won't lose to one of them) Iowa has no athletic equal in the big ten save NW. The 5 game stretch of ISU, MN, Michigan, Cincy and Syracuse is at this point a guaranteed 0-5.

I disagree that we can't compete against athletic teams. CJ is an upgrade to Moss and Touissant is an upgrade to Dailey/McCaffrey. We just need to replace Cook with Kriener/Pemsl/Nunge. Go with the hot hand, like Kriener tonight. This team beat a very athletic Cincinnati team and nearly beat a tough TN team. I still believe we are a better team overall. We just got stung by a hot shooting team that was very athletic and played scrappy defense. I'd love another shot at them in post-season play.

I disagree that we can't compete against athletic teams. CJ is an upgrade to Moss and Touissant is an upgrade to Dailey/McCaffrey. We just need to replace Cook with Kriener/Pemsl/Nunge. Go with the hot hand, like Kriener tonight. This team beat a very athletic Cincinnati team and nearly beat a tough TN team. I still believe we are a better team overall. We just got stung by a hot shooting team that was very athletic and played scrappy defense. I'd love another shot at them in post-season play.

Good post. Yes DePaul was hot but when you get run out of your own gym by a team picked to finish last and mount 0 comeback, it's not good. The turnovers were caused by ball pressure and that isn't exclusive to DePaul. A legit PG would have attacked DePaul and broken them down. Joe did just that when he got in the game. He also takes the personal challenge which is exactly what you need a PG to do.

I see 17-18 all over again. This is every bit the team that had the season over by the time they headed back from the Caymans. JBo will redshirt, and that excuse will be in Fran's back pocket and be an easy pass for another year, but the cavalry is not coming. We have almost two more full seasons of this, which will be followed by a ground up rebuild.

The only thing that would diverge from that is if at the end of his redshirt season this year....Bohannon and also JW give Fran the Gatens treatment...."if he's in, I'm out", and Barta's hand gets forced by the backdrop of personal issues.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Good post. Yes DePaul was hot but when you get run out of your own gym by a team picked to finish last and mount 0 comeback, it's not good. The turnovers were caused by ball pressure and that isn't exclusive to DePaul. A legit PG would have attacked DePaul and broken them down. Joe did just that when he got in the game. He also takes the personal challenge which is exactly what you need a PG to do.

I don't think DePaul being picked 10th in their conference is a good barometer. Where was Minnesota football picked this year? It's how teams finish the season that matters not where they start with meaningless rankings. This DePaul team will finish in the upper half of Big East.

DePaul might turn out to be better than their predicted last place finish in the big east, but beating this Iowa team doesn't make them contenders.

Reactions: kcgolfer
DePaul might turn out to be better than their predicted last place finish in the big east, but beating this Iowa team doesn't make them contenders.
I agree, but will say that I consider this a better loss than the loss Iowa suffered last year (to Rutgers) at home (in February). From what I can remember, that game seemed eerily similar to this game.....and hopefully we just got it out of our system early.

Likewise, whether we are talking DePaul or Duke, losing by 20 the entire game should not be seen as a moral victory.

DePaul was out of our class. If DePaul is an NCAA team, that means we are most certainly not one.

I see 17-18 all over again. This is every bit the team that had the season over by the time they headed back from the Caymans. JBo will redshirt, and that excuse will be in Fran's back pocket and be an easy pass for another year, but the cavalry is not coming. We have almost two more full seasons of this, which will be followed by a ground up rebuild.

The only thing that would diverge from that is if at the end of his redshirt season this year....Bohannon and also JW give Fran the Gatens treatment...."if he's in, I'm out", and Barta's hand gets forced by the backdrop of personal issues.

That team was a joke defensively.

This team is light years better.

This was a fluke game where everything broke for one team and not the other.

Good news... we only gave up 5 offensive rebounds

Bad news.... they shot 61.4% from the floor so there wasn't many misses for them to get :(

Fredrick a 4yr(not including RS year) version of tyler herro?

Side note, felt depaul played like the way Michigan state plays on defense.

Would like to see a starting lineup of:

Joe T
CJF
Wieskamp
Pemsl
Garza

With Jordan and Connor coming off the bench first. Obviously Jordan would have more of a starting role if/when he's fully healthy.

We got ambushed from the start and DePaul rolled us. Didn't think we were ready to play. Didn't seem like we were in great shape. We got out of sync and we sped up and got even more out of whack. Depaul was making shot early and didn't slow down. 3's from 4-5 ft beyond the new 3 pt line. Made more 3's in 1st half then they have in any game so far. Definitely looked like a team that has played 2 more games coming in.

Looked like Joe W was still hurting, didn't think Refs were real bad but we certainly didn't get any calls. New guys not in the flow yet.

Think Joe T and Cordell need to replace Connor and Jack in the starting line up. Need Joes quickness and Cordells attitude/rebounding

8) I don’t think Fran called anyone a mother ****er.

Reactions: unIowa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT