ADVERTISEMENT

President Biden should not run again in 2024

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Joe Biden launched his candidacy for president in 2019 with the words “we are in the battle for the soul of this nation.” He was right. And though it wasn’t obvious at first to many Democrats, he was the best person to wage that fight. He was a genial but also shrewd campaigner for the restoration of what legislators call “regular order.”

Since then, Biden has had a remarkable string of wins. He defeated President Donald Trump in the 2020 election; he led a Democratic rebuff of Trump’s acolytes in the 2022 midterms; his Justice Department has systematically prosecuted the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection that Trump championed and, now, through special counsel Jack Smith, the department is bringing Trump himself to justice.
What I admire most about President Biden is that in a polarized nation, he has governed from the center out, as he promised in his victory speech. With an unexpectedly steady hand, he passed some of the most important domestic legislation in recent decades. In foreign policy, he managed the delicate balance of helping Ukraine fight Russia without getting America itself into a war. In sum, he has been a successful and effective president.
But I don’t think Biden and Vice President Harris should run for reelection. It’s painful to say that, given my admiration for much of what they have accomplished. But if he and Harris campaign together in 2024, I think Biden risks undoing his greatest achievement — which was stopping Trump.

Biden wrote his political testament in his inaugural address: “When our days are through, our children and our children’s children will say of us: They gave their best, they did their duty, they healed a broken land.” Mr. President, maybe this is that moment when duty has been served.
Biden would carry two big liabilities into a 2024 campaign. He would be 82 when he began a second term. According to a recent Associated Press-NORC poll, 77 percent of the public, including 69 percent of Democrats, think he’s too old to be effective for four more years. Biden’s age isn’t just a Fox News trope; it’s been the subject of dinner-table conversations across America this summer.

Because of their concerns about Biden’s age, voters would sensibly focus on his presumptive running mate, Harris. She is less popular than Biden, with a 39.5 percent approval rating, according topolling website FiveThirtyEight. Harris has many laudable qualities, but the simple fact is that she has failed to gain traction in the country or even within her own party.
Biden could encourage a more open vice-presidential selection process that could produce a stronger running mate. There are many good alternatives, starting with now-Mayor of Los Angeles Karen Bass, whom I wish Biden had chosen in the first place, or Commerce Secretary Gina Raimondo. But breaking up the ticket would be a free-for-all that could alienate Black women, a key constituency. Biden might end up more vulnerable.
Politicians who know Biden well say that if he were convinced that Trump were truly vanquished, he would feel he had accomplished his political mission. He will run again if he believes in his gut that Trump will be the GOP nominee and that he has the best chance to defeat Trump and save the country from the nightmare of a revenge presidency.

Biden has never been good at saying no. He should have resisted the choice of Harris, who was a colleague of his beloved son Beau when they were both state attorneys general. He should have blocked then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s visit to Taiwan, which has done considerable damage to the island’s security. He should have stopped his son Hunter from joining the board of a Ukrainian gas company and representing companies in China — and he certainly should have resisted Hunter’s attempts to impress clients by getting Dad on the phone.
Biden has another chance to say no — to himself, this time — by withdrawing from the 2024 race. It might not be in character for Biden, but it would be a wise choice for the country.
Biden has in many ways remade himself as president. He is no longer the garrulous glad-hander I met when I first covered Congress more than four decades ago. He’s still an old-time pol, to be sure, but he is now more focused and strategic; he executes policies systematically, at home and abroad. As Franklin Foer writes in “The Last Politician,” a new account of Biden’s presidency, “he will be remembered as the old hack who could.”
Time is running out. In a month or so, this decision will be cast in stone. It will be too late for other Democrats, including Harris, to test themselves in primaries and see whether they have the stuff of presidential leadership. Right now, there’s no clear alternative to Biden — no screamingly obvious replacement waiting in the wings. That might be the decider for Biden, that there’s seemingly nobody else. But maybe he will trust in democracy to discover new leadership, “in the arena.”
I hope Biden has this conversation with himself about whether to run, and that he levels with the country about it. It would focus the 2024 campaign. Who is the best person to stop Trump? That was the question when Biden decided to run in 2019, and it’s still the essential test of a Democratic nominee today.

There should be an age limit of 75 years old for the U.S.
Congress, U.S. Supreme Court, and U.S. President. We
do not need the elderly like Senators McConnell, Feinstein &
Grassley, Pelosi should retire from the House. Both Biden
and Trump need to withdraw from the 2024 Presidential
Election.

Bottom Line: America needs younger leadership for our
nation. We need people who are mentally and physically
up to the task. Yes, a new generation of leaders.

Last edited:
Jfc, get a life, Bins, I stead of combing the internet for this crap
He had to look under every nook and cranny to find this . . . at the Washington Post.

And the post article is spot on with the assessment of both Biden’s accomplishments and how most of us feel about him running again. He did a solid job, he should be celebrated, and at the same time he is not the best choice for the next four years.

He had to look under every nook and cranny to find this . . . at the Washington Post.

And the post article is spot on with the assessment of both Biden’s accomplishments and how most of us feel about him running again. He did a solid job, he should be celebrated, and at the same time he is not the best choice for the next four years.

Don’t wanna hear about the best choice for the next 4 years from the party putting up Trump. Thanks

It’s his stutter.

WashingtonCNN —
In a speech to service members and first responders on the anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, President Joe Biden falsely claimed that he was at Ground Zero the day after the Twin Towers fell in Manhattan.

Don’t wanna hear about the best choice for the next 4 years from the party putting up Trump. Thanks
I’m an independent. I voted for Biden in 2020 and if it’s Biden vs Trump I will vote Biden again.

But I don’t think he is the best choice for the next four years and I think there are better options to defeat Trump.

Thanks.

I’m an independent. I voted for Biden in 2020 and if it’s Biden vs Trump I will vote Biden again.

But I don’t think he is the best choice for the next four years and I think there are better options to defeat Trump.

Thanks.

This

He is hamstrung by inflation and his age. His VP is not a bright spot on the ticket, but I am a firm believer that you can't switch up VP's without your current one agreeing to retire. Harris won't do that.

His only strength is that people still find him more likable on a personal level than Trump.

I agree in principle but look at the alternatives. Trump? Desantis? If Biden steps down, one of those two stooges would likely win.

Post opinion piece. Not article. Giant difference.

Now that being said, I like the author and get what he is saying. But unless Trump does the same, Biden is still the safest bet vs Trump compared to open up the primaries for a potential nominee who could turn off some of the independents/ moderate GOP who helped Biden win the close swing states.

To put it simply, the GOP nominates anyone else but Trump, and Biden drops out or gets legit challengers in Democrat primary. But sadly, despite 1/6, the continued horrible behavior and the bazillion indictments, Trump is running away with the GOP nomination.

Last edited:
Is Biden perfect? No. But compared to who he succeeded he's been excellent.

Is his age a worry for me? Absolutely. But here's a couple items why I'd not hesitate to vote for him in 24.

One, he is better than ANYBODY Republicans are currently trotting out there, even at his age. And two, there isn't a clear cut Democrat successor that WILL win if he bows out.

Is his age a worry for me? Absolutely. But here's a couple items why I'd not hesitate to vote for him in 24.

One, he is better than ANYBODY Republicans are currently trotting out there, even at his age. And two, there isn't a clear cut Democrat successor that WILL win if he bows out.
Spot on take.

This

He is hamstrung by inflation and his age. His VP is not a bright spot on the ticket, but I am a firm believer that you can't switch up VP's without your current one agreeing to retire. Harris won't do that.

His only strength is that people still find him more likable on a personal level than Trump.
He’s had a very accomplished presidency. It certainly eclipses Trump’s though that bar couldn’t get any lower. By any standard, other than MAGAt bullshit, he’s been successful.

I wish he would step aside, however. And Harris isn’t the person to replace him. She isn’t relatable and she isn’t likable. I’d love to see a transformational ticket like Whitmer and Buttigieg. All that said, there isn’t a Republican with a hope of winning the nomination who could get my vote…so it’ll probably be Biden. And I’ll be happy to vote for him.

There should be an age limit of 75 years old for the U.S.
Congress, U.S. Supreme Court, and U.S. President. We
do not need the elderly like Senators McConnell, Feinstein &
Grassley, Pelosi should retire from the House. Both Biden
and Trump need to withdraw from the 2024 Presidential
Election.

Bottom Line: America needs younger leadership for our
nation. We need people who are mentally and physically
up to the task. Yes, a new generation of leaders.

He’s had a very accomplished presidency. It certainly eclipses Trump’s though that bar couldn’t get any lower. By any standard, other than MAGAt bullshit, he’s been successful.

I wish he would step aside, however. And Harris isn’t the person to replace him. She isn’t relatable and she isn’t likable. I’d love to see a transformational ticket like Whitmer and Buttigieg. All that said, there isn’t a Republican with a hope of winning the nomination who could get my vote…so it’ll probably be Biden. And I’ll be happy to vote for him.
Scoffers take note, it's okay to have a rational discussion on the downside to a Biden 2024 run without simply succumbing to Trump fears. Furthermore, Biden's entire presidency, his legacy rather, is wrapped in defeating Trump. He's literally been graded on a curve. If that, in and of itself, doesn't sadden you about the state this country's political system is in, I can't help you.

@tarheelbybirth you may be on to something with Whitmer.

Scoffers take note, it's okay to have a rational discussion on the downside to a Biden 2024 run without simply succumbing to Trump fears. Furthermore, Biden's entire presidency, his legacy rather, is wrapped in defeating Trump. He's literally been graded on a curve. If that, in and of itself, doesn't sadden you about the state this country's political system is in, I can't help you.

@tarheelbybirth you may be on to something with Whitmer.
He's been a competent leader, so, there is that on top of not voting for the authoritarian coup guy who is running to stay out of prison, and to smite his enemies if re-elected.

The other component to what Ignatius wrote was the unfavorable ratings of Harris. She was vilified from the very start. I always chuckle at the folks on HORT who swear they'd vote for a Dem woman, or a Dem woman of color, just not Harris.
Sure.

Who do you suggest are better options?
There are many better options than Biden that would beat Trump or Desantis in a general election. Here is an off-the-top-of-my-head wish list of potential candidates - there are others too, but I would vote for any of these over Biden/Trump/Desantis.

Whitmer
Klobuchar
Buttigieg
Polis
Bennet
Raimondo

I recognize that not all of these candidates could win the dem nomination, but I am very confident any of them would trounce a far right Republican candidate as they would easily garner the independent vote and the never Trump moderate republicans (if there are any left in the party).

And all of them would be more capable than Biden is likely to be over the next four years.

It's not. The only real complaint is his age. But he's already proven this complaint irrelevant his first four years with his huge list of accomplishments. It's like claiming that LeBron is a dud because he is ancient. Yes, he's ancient but he's also still playing at an all star level.
You’re using the now to argue against concerns about the future. If you don’t think 82-86 years old is different than 78-82 years old, then I don’t know what to tell you. Especially if you’re already declining in the 78 -82 period.

Let’s see if LeBron is playing in 4-5 years.

The other component to what Ignatius wrote was the unfavorable ratings of Harris. She was vilified from the very start. I always chuckle at the folks on HORT who swear they'd vote for a Dem woman, or a Dem woman of color, just not Harris.
Sure.
Good grief. She's not popular with Dems lucas....it's not because she's black. It's because she has the charisma of a door knob and is the meaningless word salad queen.

So basically a walking vegetable over a republican.

Noted.

Reactions: littlez
You’re using the now to argue against concerns about the future. If you don’t think 82-86 years old is different than 78-82 years old, then I don’t know what to tell you. Especially if you’re already declining in the 78 -82 period.

Let’s see if LeBron is playing in 4-5 years.
The Pope is 86 and we don't hear calls for his retirement. Everyone ages differently.

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT