ADVERTISEMENT

Pride unity flag in my kid's classroom! So much HBOT fodder...

Then wedding rings shouldn't be allowed, either, if were going down this route. Too political. Kids don't need to be exposed to straight marriage statements.

If being gay is a mental disease so is being straight. Only a mentally deranged person would see a vagina and think, "Hey, I wanna stick my penis in that until it shoots, I go soft, and then I roll over to go to sleep." That's serial killer stuff.
Nope. Straight is normal. Ghey is mental disease.

I'm not opposed to a gay teacher wearing wedding rings and having pictures of him and his spouse on his desk. PDA's in schools are another thing but it's sort of the same thing for straight couples as well.

The flag has a lot more meaning than just that though.
The meaning is that we exist. Just as a wedding ring means your marriage exists.

• Wow
Reactions: abby97
Colorful flags don’t concern me much. I probably wouldn’t have a second thought of it
My thought: the flag itself doesn't concern me. The character of a teacher who feels it's appropriate decor in an English classroom does concern me.

I'd have the same thought if there were a maga flag, one of those "don't tread on me" snake flags, etc.

Reactions: Crafty Beaver
My thought: the flag itself doesn't concern me. The character of a teacher who feels it's appropriate decor in an English classroom does concern me.

I'd have the same thought if there were a maga flag, one of those "don't tread on me" snake flags, etc.
Those are political flags. This one is not.

Questions:

- How big/prominent is the flag and where exactly is it placed in the classroom? Is it large, dead center above the marker board? Or is it 3”x5” in a corner by the door?
- If this is a private-Christian school, what is the school’s policy?
1. Side wall, prominent, it's a full size flag like you'd hang outside on a pole.
2. The school tries to be accepting of all viewpoints. Think of a Christian School that's more of a private school where professors and business owners send their kids than one that concerns itself with being particularly Christian.

What if the teacher put up a poster saying "No f*gs allowed" right next to it, that way kids got both viewpoints? Would you be cool with it then since neither side is getting endorsed.
Would people object to the Soviet flag flying alongside?

In 1933, the Soviet government under Stalin recriminalized sex between men. On 7 March 1934, Article 121 was added to the criminal code for the entire Soviet Union that expressly prohibited only male homosexuality, with up to five years of hard labor in prison.

What if the teacher put up a poster saying "No f*gs allowed" right next to it, that way kids got both viewpoints? Would you be cool with it then since neither side is getting endorsed.
I would be ok with that in a social studies classroom, or a class that naturally leads itself to debate (talking middle school or older here). This is English, so no, I wouldn't feel that was appropriate either.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8​

New International Version​

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Pretty simple shit here. You treat people with love. Love isn't a feeling, love is a verb. The Bible clearly teaches us that.
Love is all of those things. ^^ However, allowing anyone to do anything they wish at any time that they wish, etc, etc...is not love.

Reactions: ClarindaA's

In 1933, the Soviet government under Stalin recriminalized sex between men. On 7 March 1934, Article 121 was added to the criminal code for the entire Soviet Union that expressly prohibited only male homosexuality, with up to five years of hard labor in prison.

nudge-wink.gif

So why do you wear a wedding ring? Your marriage exists. Why do you have to announce it?

A wedding ring is something I wear on my person and is smaller and far less noticeable.

If teacher wants to wear a gay price necklace or bracelet or something like on that on his person I'm ok with it. Certainly ok if a gay person wears a wedding ring.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8​

New International Version​

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

Pretty simple shit here. You treat people with love. Love isn't a feeling, love is a verb. The Bible clearly teaches us that.
Biblically the flag represents sin. Pretty simple there. I'm thinking about it from an English classroom perspective though.

The reason for putting the flag in the classroom is either self-seeking, intended to dishonor others, or arguably delights in evil (from a biblical perspective).

I would be ok with that in a social studies classroom, or a class that naturally leads itself to debate (talking middle school or older here). This is English, so no, I wouldn't feel that was appropriate either.
is it english as in grammar or english as in literature?

because themes of love and who's considered a freak or outcast by society are super common in literature

I'm as socially liberal as they come, but I don't agree with this. If you want to hang a pride flag someplace, hang it at your house. Not at your employer's workplace. I say that about any sort of "statement" flag as well. Back the blue, pride...really anything political should be done outside of the workplace.
This is pretty much my stance on it. I wouldn’t hang it which is how I feel about hanging up The Ten Commandments. It’s forced. I know many of the righties on here think I have no business working with children but I will not discuss politics with them. It’s not my job. I’m trying to help raise caring kids who will contribute to society positively.

I exist but I don't need a flag to announce my existence. Flag has a lot more meaning than shear existence.

Just no need to bring it into a classroom.
I agree with you.

I think the more apt comparison would be "is Huey allowed to wear a wedding ring?" I don't hear anyone suggesting he can't, but that seems to be what he wants to imply.

Reactions: Hoosierhawkeye
I'm more with your view against. I do think it's important for kids to get exposed to multiple viewpoints but I don't necessarily think it's good to have a teacher to appear to endorse one viewpoint over another.
The only viewpoint she is endorsing is recognizing that there are all different types of people and they should all be respected.

Imagine being OPPOSED to that message, lol.

Not surprised you brought Soviet Flag into this, Alexi.

Reactions: Ree4
I agree with you.

I think the more apt comparison would be "is Huey allowed to wear a wedding ring?" I don't hear anyone suggesting he can't, but that seems to be what he wants to imply.

To be fair the don't say gay law could potentially be understood as that. Which is why I opposed it. It's not like people were having classroom discussions of sexual orientation in elementary school classrooms. And changes in curriculum come from the department of education. This was an open invitation to harass homosexual teachers using the courts.

• Haha
Aside from the obvious political nature of the flag, it's a sexual based flag. Why are some advocating that a sex themed flag be flown in a school?

The only viewpoint she is endorsing is recognizing that there are all different types of people and they should all be respected.

Imagine being OPPOSED to that message, lol.

No that's specifically about LGBTQ people, which tends to be associated with political goals such as acceptance of trans people as being the same as persons born of a certain sex and allowances for children to receive hormonal treatments.

Tell us about all the hardships you have faced being a straight man in this country.

I'm not saying those things have created extra hardships on me. I'm saying flags almost always represent political goals as the rainbow flag does. There is a reason they have to change it because their goals change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT